So what scenarios have you played Recently?

javanabal

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Just finished ASL NEWS 40 Rolling thunder. A very long and even somewhat monstruous scenario. 8 turns, 6 boards, more than 50 tanks and 40 squads. French armor tries to stop german armor in may 1940, keeping control of a small village. A crazy thing. Interesting to learn german use of smoke and mobility against french armor and artillery (2 at guns and 3 mortars).

javanabal

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
East Side Gamers 1 Mauled. Another oldie, with 8 turns. Not that long to play indeed. Order of battle is plenty of toys that you generally don't see on the same board, on one and the other side: M7 and M8 for the US; Nashorn, PzA III/IV, Pumas, Lynx, StuPz IV or StuH 42 for the germans. OBA on both side, and a variety of infantry too, from US greens to german and US engineers... US start holding 2 farms in center of the fields, on the way of the germans, and also installed on the side of the board, on hills and behind woods. As fars as I understood, playing the germans, you have to be fast and cautious. Fast to join the other side of the game space, cautious to limit losses because you nearly have to kill every US or at least to break them. US player was able to refrain german's advance and fire. Not so well organized, Gerries had to avoid OBA and mortar's shell as well as Priests. Finally, know how and luck were on the US side while germans were too slow, even if they were able to destroy many US cans. But the boys kept hidden in place. Not enough time to win. Germans concede 2 turns before the end.
Anyhow, it was a funny game to play, with many different actions.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great scenario with the shit hiiting the fan from T1 and only getting more intense as you go.

Did that Tower come in to play at all? Can be hard for the Germans to get up there for Control.
The Germans did not reach the tower, but I had pretty much left it undefended until the late game when I put a MMC and a Stuart adjacent. I started with 3 x ? counters at lvl2 as a bluff, I just knew it would get pounded by the German armor. Sure enough about turn 3 or 4 it took a crit. My opponent was surprised not to see my observer there. It's just to obvious.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curtis Brooks & I just finished off WO33 ONE-EYED JACQUES and it has certainly lived up to its billing. It's a fun German-French scenario that came own to the last German player turn involving a couple of overruns inside a factory with all that that entails. Though my dice were a bit hotter than his French ones (we track snake-eyes & boxcars but not overall DRs), I never had the feeling I had the game in hand (or even under control for that matter) until the last DR of the last OVR. I think we both give this one (A Chas Argent offering) a "Highly Recommended" rating.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP29 Raff's Dilemma Lindsey and I faced off in this bocage brawl today. I broke 3 Sherman MA and Lindsey would roll back-back-back snake-eyes on WC DR to create heavy wind and shut down all the remaining smoke. The US made the woods at the base of the hill and their firepower along with an all out Sherman charge allowed them to roll up the hill. A few infiltrated behind to cut routs. The final German CC phase saw the final melee end in mutual destruction for a US win.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SP255 - Anatoly's Ambush

Germans had great success early knocking out Anatoly the AL and moving forward unscathed. I decided to hit the gas, and exited two tanks early, Russian tank reinforcements entered and stayed right by the board edge road, so I decided to go after the building VC. With roughly equal infantry numbers it was tough going, but I was in position with 2 turns left and 2 buildings taken to win. Then things swung the other way. The Russian ATG clobbered my 9-2 stack and other Russian rifle fire stuffed me for a turn, I counterattacked hard on the last Mph with all my remaining AFV moving in for VBM freeze and PBF shots , infantry moved up, took 1 VC building back, but with marginal advancing fire results I was left with 2 CC's, and lost both in the victory buildings, Russian win on the last die rolls! Good scenario. Very balanced.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A summary of my recently competed scenarios.

G45 The Halha River Bridge. Got good service out of the infantry gun which managed to neutralise both Japanese tanks and took out a vehicle crew and assault engineer squad in CC (in which it also died). Unfortunately my infantry was being steadily whittled down. We played the last two turns with no good order Soviet units on the map as the Japanese managed to set and successfully detonate the DC to destroy the bridge.

J157 Rage Against the Machine. I felt I was behind pretty early in this game as the German sniper eliminated the 8-1 in my first movement phase, the two squads stacked with him failed their LLTCs and never got back into the game. I pressed on and made some headway but around turn 4 suffered a further setback when the sniper struck again to eliminate the 7-0 and the 9-1 was wounded following a 12 on a self rally roll. I played through my turn 5 but midway through the German turn it became clear I lacked enough good order infantry to win.

SmR9 Puller’s Pugilists. Good introductory scenario for the Fight For Seoul module. I over committed to defend the KPA right flank and my opponent pushed hard for the closest exit point around F58. Luckily I was able to reposition sufficient troops to jam the exit, the Marines failed crucial morale checks during their last movement phase and were only able to exit 3VP.

SP 268 The Tjiater Pass. I setup the main Dutch defensive position on Hill 656. On the left I defended Hill 591 with the Marmon Herringtons and a token squad. My opponent setup to swing around my left flank with a supporting force tying down the Dutch right flank. The early armoured exchange favoured me decisively. I lost one armoured car but the remaining AC and the ATG on Hill 569 accounted for all three Ha-Gos by the end of turn 1. My infantry fire was also deadly and after a turn 3 banzai resulted in heavy casualties for the attackers while leaving the main strongpoints of the Dutch defence intact and my opponent conceded.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John and I finished up A98 Crossing the Gniloi Tikitsch last night. The tale was told by his wretched dice. I set up to keep from the auto-lose on turn three and packed that victory bldg with 6 elite russkies, 2 leaders, 3 LMGs and 3 ATRs. Probably was overkill. But John’s 10-2 led killstack never broke a single squad in that wooden building. At least three boxcars which matched his 9-1 killstack. Combine his bad dice and my accurate enough OBA which stayed around the central crossroads and he conceded after 5.5. One humorous event when I tried to get cute and placed a 45LL in a dry stream hex adjacent to the R7 bridge hoping to bag a charging Panther. Instead I got a 5 ROF run (2 CH!) against his 4-6-8. First shot made him fanatic and created a hero. Then proceeded to create a second hero and then wound and kill both heroes. Finally CRd the squad during his turn before the h/s advanced in to kill me in CC and KiA the gun. ASL is a funny game! Next up is ASLUG 14 Morgan’s Stand. And I do definitely recommend Crossing the GT. Interesting puzzle on how many assets to dedicate to delaying the German advance vice the early victory building vice the endgame.

Last edited:

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SP255 - Anatoly's Ambush

Germans had great success early knocking out Anatoly the AL and moving forward unscathed. I decided to hit the gas, and exited two tanks early, Russian tank reinforcements entered and stayed right by the board edge road, so I decided to go after the building VC. With roughly equal infantry numbers it was tough going, but I was in position with 2 turns left and 2 buildings taken to win. Then things swung the other way. The Russian ATG clobbered my 9-2 stack and other Russian rifle fire stuffed me for a turn, I counterattacked hard on the last Mph with all my remaining AFV moving in for VBM freeze and PBF shots , infantry moved up, took 1 VC building back, but with marginal advancing fire results I was left with 2 CC's, and lost both in the victory buildings, Russian win on the last die rolls! Good scenario. Very balanced.
[/QUOTE

I am glad you enjoyed the scenario. Every once in a while a really good, fun scenario comes along. During playtesting, it soon became clear that this was a good scenario that was close and fun. Greg Davis and l both predicted that it would be successful when we were doing the close out playtest.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A short commentary on FT256 Radio X-Mas from our French ASL friends as I played this a few weeks ago. Italians need to exit 11 CVP worth off the opposite board edge – crossing a 2-hex wide shallow stream (by SSR). Opposing them is a small partisan force and the pursuing Americans enter to chase the Italians on Turn 3.

I had the defending Allies. I ended up losing despite my American troops having good success pursuing the Italians (13xGerman 548s) and getting into the fight. In retrospect, my downfall was setting up most of my sparse Partisan force on the “Italian side” of the river. The idea was to slow the Italian advance, but that was simply misplaced hope. My flimsy partisans could have done so much more on the other bank. I lost about half my partisans on the Italian side. On a positive note they did force one turn of lateral movement of the Italians, but it wasn’t enough to stem the tide. Also cramping my style was losing a tank to ESB (so dumb despite the +0 ESB mod) also a key fire stack that needed to MOVE rolled multiple 6’s when attempting infantry smoke. It’s the small stupid stuff in this game.

The game was a unique situation with the board 40 SSR stream. The Italians were vulnerable crossing it, but once to the other side, only a few partisans were there to stop them. I definitely didn’t grok this well. That said, my opponent played an outstanding game. He deployed just about every 548 he had. It was like trying to stomp on swarming ants. Again, a unique scenario and I can see this one being down to the wire just about every time. Well done again LFT.

javanabal

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
ASL G6 Rocket's red glare
Another demonstration of US superiority, this time against german SS. I played the germans and I probably did not setup correctly because my units took right in the face big paras stacks (20 to 30FP depending on having MMG or not). US have 12 7-4-7, 4 leaders including to -2 one, 4 bazookas and even panzerfausts.And, as if it was not enough, they also are sustained by the cream of US tank destroyer, an M36 special with 90L gun and 11 front armor. This beast does not figure in the official order of battle before january 1945. But it seems that one had been specially paradroped in the Ardennes just before Christmas. German SS have also something special, A Flak panzer with 20 IFE and a rof of 3. This one was produced by german industry before christmas 1944, at least.
Then, germans ss were mainly concentrated in the center of the board, to protect one of the victory building, with artillery and flakpanzer covering one flank, with the stug just behind. US player forgot to BU its beast before to drive in front of the flakpanzer, without consequences as the 20L rolled something like a 5;5, no rof, no damage. The german sniper stunned the GMC's crew just after. Then, at start of german 2nd turn, stug was able to destroy the BU US tank. But it was already too late as one SS squad had been killed stupidly trying to cross the road (guess someone called them with the voice of adolf), while another was unable to rout (probably seduced by a box of american cigarettes). Three para squad were coming on one side, 9 (minus one kiaed) others in the center. There i conceded with 5 squads left, feeling unable to hold both of objective hexes.
I think that US side has more tactical options in this scenario than the germans. US might attack from both side or from center and one side, they may enter their tank by any side. They can delay their entry or not, they have many antitank (4 panzerfaust without a dr to roll).... So US has plenty of options to adapt to the german setup. As the german I think you need to hide, HIDE and wait, in a kind of Alamo, hoping for a nice DR.... Thx for reading.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A quick review of AP169 The Beasts Have Arrived that I finished recently as the Russian defender. The SS need to control 3 of 4 single hex stone-by-SSR building hexes. Both sides are loaded with firepower and quality troops including 3 x Panthers, 2 x Tigers, 75* HT, 81mtr HT a bunch of 658s for the men in black. Russians get a mix of 458, 527, 628s, 2xSu122, and a couple T34/76 and a 57LL AT gun. Russians set up on or within two hexes of the new board 15a hill.

The Russians had excellent success early on with the ability to break a number of SS squads. Of course, they routed and quickly rallied, but “losing a turn” by having to move backwards to safely rally likely proved to be the main factor for the Germans falling behind schedule. I was feeling really good when we closed out our first session VASL after 2.5 turns. The aforementioned breaks plus a bonus of a CCRF Tiger KO had the Russian commander in good spirits after the first session. However, the Russian left flank dissolved at the start of our next session and all of a sudden the outcome less certain. Fortunately, a Panther malfed his MA, the 75* and 81mtr HTs were eliminated. In the final turn, it was all about firming up the defensive perimeter of the two remaining VC buildings. The Germans tried some textbook moves, but a VBM freezing Panther got KOed on yet another very lucky CC RF sealing victory for the Russians.

We both really liked this scenario and see it playing very tight. Better German MC rolls could have created a far different outcome. Ironically, the two IS-2s didn’t have a significant impact on the game in terms of “whacking” German armor or troops. One rolled a 6.5 to go low ammo then rolled a 6.6 and get recalled. The other occupied some German infantry’s attention surviving enough to act as an important “in motion” part of the defensive perimeter. That said, both acted as a strong deterrent in the first half of the game keeping the German armor at bay. In that respect they were quite effective.

Capable, fun OBs make for some classic smashmouth ASL. This is another fine scenario from the recent AP16 which is shaping up to be one of the more solid packs out there. Well done.

Last edited:

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ESG106 Splatter Spray - A fun fast paced scenario which is a little hard on the US. I managed to come up 1 building short against Tom's tenacious defenders; who managed a very active sniper early and must have been well drenched in vino as they withstood a good many withering -2 MC. Still great fun and a hardy recommendation to give this little known, weirdly titled scenario a try.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J171 Whom Gods Destroy

On the last day of the Human Wave 2021 Tournament, three brave souls agreed to clash in the three-player epic "Whom Gods Destroy." Paul C's EDES (Greek Nationalists represented by British counters) raced south along the road. My Germans rushed north into the village (don't do this) with the two Italian-made M15s in German service (47L MA and great machine guns) taking up watch on the left flank by a stone wall. John S's ELAS (Greek Communists represented by Russian counters) surged westward over the hills.

The Greeks folded the Germans into a Gyro and started chomping. I was getting smacked from both sides. My pleas for Machiavellian turn about fell on deaf ears. Still my trusty Italian tanks taught the EDES a nasty lesson in close combat and then overran still more Nationalists in a gulley before an ATR destroyed one tank and LMGs stunned another. Finally Paul realized we were both doomed unless we united so he agreed to join me in fighting the Communists. But it was too little too late. The Communists took over the village and fielded 12 squads to our combined 11.5 for a Red Victory via VC #1.

In hindsight, the key to victory is to let the other two guys fight each other first and then swoop in to pick up the pieces. For the Germans that means staying in the southern wood/hill area until mid game.

Attachments

Last edited:

javanabal

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
ASL J193 RAFF'S RULES
I just finished this one, playing US side and lost because wind changed and my poor US were no more able to lay smoke to exit board safely.
I played this as stupidly as requested by the set-up: US are in a hurry, you have only two ways to win: destroy the guns or exit. German player installed both big guns near to the exit side, north east part. So the boys started to run on the east side. Reinforcements came on the center, i don"t remember why. Ah yes, in this we have a RCL gun, some of these useless toys that brass like to give to the boys to play with. But please, don't forget to open the windows and respect social distances or the breath of the dragon will kill you... This way, the RCL killed the crew of a 20mm AA gun. Somewhat funny, their running let US killed some more german youngsters while the 105L hammered... Here is one dark point: those guns takes 1/2 VP each time they fire... But is it still the case after they change CA? Those guns are supposedly firing on an allied beachead while clever and stealthy paras surprise them... Not really what happen in the scenario... Anyhow, if you have one or 2 hours to play without your brain, it can be nice.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
J171 Whom Gods Destroy
On the last day of the Human Wave 2021 Tournament, three brave souls agreed to clash in the three-player epic "Whom Gods Destroy." Paul C's EDES (Greek Nationalists represented by British counters) raced south along the road. My Germans rushed north into the village (don't do this) with the two Italian-made M15s in German service (47L MA and great machine guns) taking up watch on the left flank by a stone wall. John S's ELAS (Greek Communists represented by Russian counters) surged westward over the hills.
It's now a bit distant in memory but we had a lot of fun playing the scenario. The Germans should rush in the beginning into the village if only because it provides more action. ELAS and EDES did not coordinate their actions and when they did it was a bit too late. The Communist does not look very strong but they are numerous and can snatch victory at the last turn if not too much bloodied beforehand. German side is probably slightly more challenging to play.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From ONSLAUGHT TO ORSHA Berated at Baravonich Germans are ELR 1 for their MMCs and melt in the wind from ANY morale check. Jeffs luck didn't help
9-1 NMC Break. 467 NMC BATTLE HARDEN Hero create, 468. Then it takes the leader loss MC and rolls an 11, becoming a 467 again. So he was left with a hero and 2 broken units. I then rolled a tank into the ground level to ensure no routing for him.

Soviet win. I THINK the Germans need to defend up front. Yes they can be easily flanked and yes their troops don't stand up to fire but it would have been a delay of game tactic buying him time. AS IS Jeff conceded on turn 5 AND its rough on the Germans so if you ever play it be ready to take a beating.

Last edited:

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Quick notes on my games finished during last couple of weeks:

WO05 Astride Hell's Highway I played as German against Matias Dahlback. I made too aggressive opening which did not dislodge the at start force, and when the Allied reinforcements arrived I was spread all over map 63. The three 88LL AT guns made sure there were burning Shermans all over the place, but in the end of the day my infantry was just destroyed piecemeally.

Then myself and my cousin Mikko Lukkari started out playtrough of the LFT Seuol Scenarios. We played the three simplest as suggested in the rule book to get ourselves familiar with the Seoul rules and terrain. We played FT S3 Last Stand at An-san, FT S7 Looks Like the Fourth of July and FT S10 Liberté Call in that order as suggested in the rulebook - I was the North Korean and Mikko played USMC (and the one South Korean Marine Squad in S10). The first two were really close games and I won S3 and Mikko S7. The last on was a clear win for me.

I will try to post more detailed notes on the bigger ones later on but I can already say that the map is really fun and different to fight over. Looking forward playing more of these.

FrF42 Kiss of Fury This was also played with Mikko and I was the German. All I can say I misjudged the scenario completely and it was over in couple of turns for a total Russian victory - basically tried to kill his infantry outside the village and the Russian guns ripped German armor apart.

FT204 Fear Naught Quick armor slugfest with me as the German. Quikc playing and dicey, and in the end I managed to pull victory. The German B11 and 2ROF on the PzIIIFs is always an interesting combo.

AP88 Full Moon Madness Nice PTO Night scenario played against live VASL Adam Lunney with me as British. I did a bit too spread out setup and Adam was able to reduce my defenses an claim victory on second last turn. There were IRs, Banzais, HMG firelanes and HtH CC so it was very bloody. Fun scenario but I recommend VASL for this one as the map is heavily modified and also Nigh scenarios are very nice on VASL.