So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently completed AP174 Forest Gumm as the attacking Germans against a mix of 11 x American 667, 666, 546s + 2xM8 HMC 75* tanks – one which is set up HIP and a 107 mortar – all led by the ever-crafty Curtis "9-2" Brooks. The Americans receive a couple 546 + 8-0 as turn 2 reinforcements and four Shermans on turn 3. German SS OB is impressive. Notables include 7x658, 4x458, 2xMMG, 9-2 and a gaggle of other hardware + 81mtr HT, 75* HT, 2xPzIVJ. Turn 2 Reinforcements include 2xPanthers, 2x658, 8-1 in HTs. Attackers need to capture 4 single-hex stone buildings AND four multihex buildings.

Germans start their attack on board. There was concern about the sliver of open ground to cross so they laid some much-needed smoke. I got three important rounds down. Fortunately, everyone made it across the road and into the village outskirts with no casualties.

From then on it was about leveraging the German firepower within the village to break a number of American units. Some, in the face of loads of German FP self-broke and rallied later. As they did, they were thrown back in the fight. The German turn 2 reinforcement HTs and personnel were directed at the “northern” multi-hex building. One HT was eliminated by the M8 HMC. The M8 was eliminated by a Panther the next player turn. As a result, the other HT was able to unload a 658, LMG, 8-1 into the building that contained a newly minted berserk 346.

By mid game, the Germans got a bit aggressive and rolled several of their AFV up to clear out the village with some point blank 8FP MG and MA attacks. Several American units broke. To top off the German player turn, a pesky smoked-in 667 in a key position was eliminated in CC by a 658, 9-2. By the end of this midgame, the Germans had captured the four single-hex stone buildings. They had captured one multi-hex building, the “northern” one was in hand as it was occupied by a 658, 8-1 + a berserk 346 that would have to vacate the building in the upcoming turn to charge an adjacent 238 in open ground; a third under imminent threat. The inhabitants of the fourth building were looking at a significant array of FP to keep units DM, and the German’s AFV well positioned to take on the American reinforcements. With the situation as it stood, the Americans ordered a withdrawal of the village and regroup.

End Game
This gives you a little idea of how this played out.
View attachment 18196View attachment 18196

Once I started my set up it hit me the potency of the Germans. That said, the Germans have every ability to lose this scenario any day of the week. The greatest contributing pressure being the need to keep to a tight schedule before the American reinforcements bolster the rearward multihex buildings. Too, the loss (or two...) of any tank could tip the armor battle enough to relieve some pressure on the infantry. I dodged a (large) bullet early on: my Panther was hit in the turret by a HEAT side shot from the HIP M8 HMC, TK = 6,5. A better result could have really made a difference in the German's ability to be assertive with their pursuit. Plus, inflicting some turn 1 losses in the open ground noted previously could have taken some steam out of the village attack. Curtis did what he could with the assets he had, but he really didn’t get much luck. Especially true with the 346 going berserk in the northern building and it being required to leave the building to attack the “closer in MFs” 238 (thereby giving control to the Germans there). In any case, an interesting scenario very worthy of play. Now currently on ROAR 6-4 favoring the Germans. A huge thank you to Curtis for yet another well-played game despite the tough assignment.
SSR 2 gives the US HIP for one M8 HMC. A strict rule reading would have it losing HIP upon LOS from enemy unit. Is this how you all played it or did you play it losing HIP like a gun, as many SSRs do nowdays?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SSR 2 gives the US HIP for one M8 HMC. A strict rule reading would have it losing HIP upon LOS from enemy unit. Is this how you all played it or did you play it losing HIP like a gun, as many SSRs do nowdays?
The SSR is perhaps a little sparse in presentation as possibly it could have used a rule reference to fully explain what part of HIP rules the American player may use for the M8 HMC [EX: A12.3-.31]. However I believe the intent is clear enough as it says "...it may use HIP for </= one M8 HMC." and doesn't describe the conditions of loss of HIP as either a Fortification nor a Gun. Therefore by a strict reading of the rules it would lose its HIP status (A12.3 "...HIP is a form of concealment...") per A12.121 CONCEALMENT LOSS/GAIN TABLE and A12.31 and not as you have indicated upon a LOS gained to it by an enemy unit.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The SSR is perhaps a little sparse in presentation as possibly it could have used a rule reference to fully explain what part of HIP rules the American player may use for the M8 HMC [EX: A12.3-.31]. However I believe the intent is clear enough as it says "...it may use HIP for </= one M8 HMC." and doesn't describe the conditions of loss of HIP as either a Fortification nor a Gun. Therefore by a strict reading of the rules it would lose its HIP status (A12.3 "...HIP is a form of concealment...") per A12.121 CONCEALMENT LOSS/GAIN TABLE and A12.31 and not as you have indicated upon a LOS gained to it by an enemy unit.
Ah, yes I forgot to look at the Concealment Loss/Gain Table - that clears it up. Ok, that's a huge difference. Thanks. Actually my "strict reading" of the rules was...a WRONG reading of the rules! :)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Ah, yes I forgot to look at the Concealment Loss/Gain Table - that clears it up. Ok, that's a huge difference. Thanks. Actually my "strict reading" of the rules was...a WRONG reading of the rules! :)
A wrong reading of the rules??!!!!😉

I've never heard of such a thing! 🤣🤣🤣

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
BFP-134 Hell At Kiernozia..... My Germans lost to the Poles in my Turn 7a (7b) CCPh. Fun and fairly meaty PiF scenario that I felt had good balance, I was just a bit too cavalier early on regarding my CVP losses. With no Polish units left on map other than in CC/Melee, I just needed to win 4 CC/Melees to Control the final items on the list. My odds ranged from 3:1(-1) to 6:1, but I waltzed into that phase with 42 CVP against me, 3 more and the Poles would win. I won the first two for the Lvl-2 hill hexes, but lost a squad in the process...44 CVP against me. This 1-point gap was too precarious. I wiped them out in the 3rd CC, but they got a HS (CR on a full squad) for the 45th CVP and the win. I always love how many largish BFP scenarios seem to end up with 4 or 5 CC/Melees in the final Game Turn!

Very enjoyable as my 40th PiF scenario, just surprised I hadn't picked this one sooner.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SG2 Fitzgerald's Fire from the Singling campaign in Special Ops magazine.

This is a small scenario on a historical map. December '44 and a mixed force of Germans backed by a Panther and StuG IIIG are tasked with taking three stone buildings from a group of 667s with three Shermans. When the Panther and StuG were eliminated by mid-game with two Shermans remaining, it was a tough hoe for the Germans. ROAR shows this 2:1 in favor of the Americans and if we were to play again, we'd give the MMG balance to the Germans. The scenario is fast-playing with no complicated extra rules.

javanabal

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
AP72 Guns for St.Barbara

Played by e mail without using the balance. Seems totally unbalanced in favor of the US player. The german used the hip availability for2 HS with Panzerschreck but one was found by us infantry scouting the tanks and the other decided to fire on infantry. both were killed. Quite easy for the US player to advance cautiously in the village on top of the hill. Tanks stayed behind, halftracks leaving at gun on both side of the hill, infantry progressing with smoke. Then, when the german reinforcements come, its very difficult to retake terrain. In this game germans conceded after losing a panzer IV on one side of the hill. Their counterattack was targeting the church.

balance seems mandatory for the german player.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
G37 Forth Bridge

Al and I had a great time with this older offering. The British reinforcements didn't arrive until turn 6, and the brits would generate 3 HOB DR to the German 2. We both rolled our fair share of Boxes as well, though mine was critical, the 75L guarding the crossing point he choose fell on the first shot and never repaired. It still came down to the last German turn which, wouldn't have been unnecessary had one of my squads not gone berserk, therefore not GO, and forced to charge which swung the VP in his favor when all was said and done.

I recommend this scenario, it certainly plays faster than most 9 turn scenarios and is a cool little tactical puzzle for both sides.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently completed AP170 NEVER ON TIME. For the Germans it looked a bit daunting at first taking a couple of stone buildings on a flank and a bunch of wooden buildings from the Brits on the board 15a village (central) on a hill while operating out of a small setup area on one corner of the map. Three Pz IV's would be available on turn 1 but had to enter on that turn so smoke would be out of the question to help the LSSAH cross a bit of open ground to close with the defenders. However, since the SS outnumbered the Brits initially I still thought a bum rush held the most promise for successful mission accomplishment. Though casualties were moderate to heavy in the initial push, inroads had been gained and the Brits were under great pressure. By turn 2 the Germans had all but smashed the British defense and only a couple of G.O. Squads remained, and these in dire straits. With the Germans firmly ensconced in the village and controlling all the VC buildings as well as having all three Pz's waiting for the British reinforcements, the Brits called off their plans to hold on to Mouen by the end of turn 3. A quick game. Needless to say I enjoyed the scenario, my opponent no so much. Overall I give it a "Recommend" but I don't believe my opponent would agree. If you're the Germans be audacious! It could be a quick scenario going to either side as I believe if the Germans are unable to get a majority of the VC buildings early it's all over for them as the British reinforcements arrive.

Curtis Brooks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently completed AP170 NEVER ON TIME. For the Germans it looked a bit daunting at first taking a couple of stone buildings on a flank and a bunch of wooden buildings from the Brits on the board 15a village (central) on a hill while operating out of a small setup area on one corner of the map. Three Pz IV's would be available on turn 1 but had to enter on that turn so smoke would be out of the question to help the LSSAH cross a bit of open ground to close with the defenders. However, since the SS outnumbered the Brits initially I still thought a bum rush held the most promise for successful mission accomplishment. Though casualties were moderate to heavy in the initial push, inroads had been gained and the Brits were under great pressure. By turn 2 the Germans had all but smashed the British defense and only a couple of G.O. Squads remained, and these in dire straits. With the Germans firmly ensconced in the village and controlling all the VC buildings as well as having all three Pz's waiting for the British reinforcements, the Brits called off their plans to hold on to Mouen by the end of turn 3. A quick game. Needless to say I enjoyed the scenario, my opponent no so much. Overall I give it a "Recommend" but I don't believe my opponent would agree. If you're the Germans be audacious! It could be a quick scenario going to either side as I believe if the Germans are unable to get a majority of the VC buildings early it's all over for them as the British reinforcements arrive.
I was Tom's hapless opponent. And it didn't go to turn 3, I called it at the beginning of my turn 2 (so only lasted 1.5 turns}. I had a piat on each flank. One became broken and the other missed a side shot on an adjacent moving PzIV. That allowed the others to drive up the middle of the hill, drop smoke then tie up my units in buldings, allowing the SS infantry to waltz up, surround and take me out. It was brutal! Next time I'd keep the piats back from the crest to shoot at tanks that climb the hill and try the smoke/freeze nonsense. (it might work).

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IT4 Clash at Ponyri

Big Al and I had a very good time with this meaty scenario. It has been on my "To Play" list for quite sometime. The Russians were able to hold on for the win in the T7 and EE8 buildings. Al's first Smoke DR of the game would cause a Sniper 1 which broke a FT toting squad to break, the sniper would 1/2 squad him a turn or two later and that FT would never get in the fight. Al was perfect in CC, never lost a single one killing more Russians in CC than with firepower I think but in the end the Russian's were simply able to delay the Germans long enough to eek out a win. Al never made radio contact through 6 full turns, either failed the roll or the FO was broke by the sniper. I on the other hand had OBA the entire game and it made a difference in channeling his attack.

I recommend a playing if you enjoy set-piece urban mayhem!

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IT4 Clash at Ponyri

Big Al and I had a very good time with this meaty scenario. It has been on my "To Play" list for quite sometime. The Russians were able to hold on for the win in the T7 and EE8 buildings. Al's first Smoke DR of the game would cause a Sniper 1 which broke a FT toting squad to break, the sniper would 1/2 squad him a turn or two later and that FT would never get in the fight. Al was perfect in CC, never lost a single one killing more Russians in CC than with firepower I think but in the end the Russian's were simply able to delay the Germans long enough to eek out a win. Al never made radio contact through 6 full turns, either failed the roll or the FO was broke by the sniper. I on the other hand had OBA the entire game and it made a difference in channeling his attack.

I recommend a playing if you enjoy set-piece urban mayhem!
Great scenario with the shit hiiting the fan from T1 and only getting more intense as you go.

Did that Tower come in to play at all? Can be hard for the Germans to get up there for Control.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Games I have finished during the last couple of weeks...

RPT148 ROK on a Roll as the North Korean against Mikko Lukkari. This one is a typical asymmetric 1950 Korea scenario - Heavily armed South Korean infatry force is supported by M46 tanks. Against this force the North Korean does not have much - HMG, 82mm mortar, two 45LL at guns and a couple of SU-76m AGs which are completely hopeless against the M46 tanks.

I set up a small force in the board 17z village to make Mikko to spred out his attack. My main defense was set up on the board 18 big hill on trenches with AT mines sprinkled to places I guessed the tanks might enter, Guns put in positions where I would hopefully get an side / rear shot on M46 tank.

The plan worked partly - on Board 17z my force held long enough that only one tank of the UN forces there was able to help on board 18 end game. On board 18 my HMG and 82 mm mortar extracted a heavy toll on the South Korean infantry, but on the other hand Mikko passed most of the Mines and one of the guns fell before it could fire a shot - the other one bagged one tanks and was bypassed.

So, in the endgame Mikkos firepower from the tanks overcame most of the defenders and on the last move he was able to tie all of my remaining troops into melees. He had 3 tanks and 1,5 squads plus one leader remaining so it was a close call.

With hindsight I would use the 45LL guns as infantry guns and also put the AT mines among my trench setup on board 18. The tanks are hard pressed to clear the trenches with out infantry so if the Nork can weaken the South Korean infantry enough it helps for the endgame. On the other had the the tanks will drive on the hill in order to support the infantry so mines are sure to be effective during endgame.

Really a fun scenario, the Nork needs to be careful with the setup and then be super patient with his execution. I liked this one a lot.

BFP27 Chapei Chockblock Played PBEM against Vic Rosso. In the earluy 1932 Japanese Chenese city fight I played defeding Chenese and Vic was the Japanese.

There is not much to say. I made too spread out setup and Vic just rolled over my defenses. Dice were not co -operating and it was all over by turn 4 out of 8. Not my finest hour - and I will definitely play more Japanese vs. Chinese scenarios to get a better hang of the dynamics.

WO37 The Vital Hours FtF against Sami Pelkonen. I was German and Sami played the attacking British. Samis attack got bogged down on the stream woods terrain next to the bridge an I was able to move all of my Germans back war in good order, and in the end the Britihs attack lost stem way short of either the VC buildings or exit.

Sami made a big push in the middle and used his reinforcements over there as well. If I were to play the British in this one I'd put the reinforcing British infantry on a big flanking move on the German right/British left. One big push on the center is just too easily contained as there is no room to spread or develop the attack due to the restrictive terrain around the bridge.

Early ROAR data shows a German bias but I'd say there is a learning curve here - the direct attack is not the path to victory in this one.

Last edited:

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
WO37 The Vital Hours
Early ROAR data shows a German bias but I'd say there is a learning curve here - the direct attack is not the path to victory in this one.
Agreed, I've played this twice, once as British and once as German, and the British won both times (but only just in both cases) by sending the majority down the German right flank. A very enjoyable and closely balanced (it seems to me, anyway) scenario.

Last edited: