So what scenarios have you played Recently?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
After seeing Craig's AAR of Hickory Lickin, AP172, I decided to give this a go myself with my friend Rich V. . I had the Americans and Rich the Germans. I found it a very counter dense fight, FtF. We knocked over many a stack inadvertently with our old shaky hands, but it was very well balanced. No surprise as Andy Rogers is the designer on this. I slowly constricted the Germans out of the VC area, until on the final turn's CC, I had some sleaze freezed Germans who had to roll a 1-4 snake eyes against my Americans. Nothing else would win the game, including me rolling box cars, because the only hexes he could withdraw to, would have been non-building hexes. Rich got to roll first as I had the sleaze freezing Germans, sleaze freezed and though he did not ambush me, due to an extra pip against him for having a pinned unit in the hex. Still, the presence of the AFV made it sequential. Sure enough, Snakes!!!. God I hate this game. As the AFV was in motion, he was not held in melee and therefore was good order. German win. Rich played a good game and we had a lot of fun along the way.

As for the scenario, I think it is a good one, though I would rather play it on VASL.
This one is up next on my list. My game will start tomorrow evening.

von Marwitz

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We're slowly working our way through this scenario from The Steelworks, based on Operation Stack. I think it's setting up to be a knock down, drag out fight for the steelworks factories and the smokestacks. I have some German reinforcements off map that will show up turns 4-7, 5 AFVs (including 3 Tigers), OBA, and a couple platoons of engineers.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently completed AP174 Forest Gumm as the attacking Germans against a mix of 11 x American 667, 666, 546s + 2xM8 HMC 75* tanks – one which is set up HIP and a 107 mortar – all led by the ever-crafty Curtis "9-2" Brooks. The Americans receive a couple 546 + 8-0 as turn 2 reinforcements and four Shermans on turn 3. German SS OB is impressive. Notables include 7x658, 4x458, 2xMMG, 9-2 and a gaggle of other hardware + 81mtr HT, 75* HT, 2xPzIVJ. Turn 2 Reinforcements include 2xPanthers, 2x658, 8-1 in HTs. Attackers need to capture 4 single-hex stone buildings AND four multihex buildings.

Germans start their attack on board. There was concern about the sliver of open ground to cross so they laid some much-needed smoke. I got three important rounds down. Fortunately, everyone made it across the road and into the village outskirts with no casualties.

From then on it was about leveraging the German firepower within the village to break a number of American units. Some, in the face of loads of German FP self-broke and rallied later. As they did, they were thrown back in the fight. The German turn 2 reinforcement HTs and personnel were directed at the “northern” multi-hex building. One HT was eliminated by the M8 HMC. The M8 was eliminated by a Panther the next player turn. As a result, the other HT was able to unload a 658, LMG, 8-1 into the building that contained a newly minted berserk 346.

By mid game, the Germans got a bit aggressive and rolled several of their AFV up to clear out the village with some point blank 8FP MG and MA attacks. Several American units broke. To top off the German player turn, a pesky smoked-in 667 in a key position was eliminated in CC by a 658, 9-2. By the end of this midgame, the Germans had captured the four single-hex stone buildings. They had captured one multi-hex building, the “northern” one was in hand as it was occupied by a 658, 8-1 + a berserk 346 that would have to vacate the building in the upcoming turn to charge an adjacent 238 in open ground; a third under imminent threat. The inhabitants of the fourth building were looking at a significant array of FP to keep units DM, and the German’s AFV well positioned to take on the American reinforcements. With the situation as it stood, the Americans ordered a withdrawal of the village and regroup.

End Game
This gives you a little idea of how this played out.

Once I started my set up it hit me the potency of the Germans. That said, the Germans have every ability to lose this scenario any day of the week. The greatest contributing pressure being the need to keep to a tight schedule before the American reinforcements bolster the rearward multihex buildings. Too, the loss (or two...) of any tank could tip the armor battle enough to relieve some pressure on the infantry. I dodged a (large) bullet early on: my Panther was hit in the turret by a HEAT side shot from the HIP M8 HMC, TK = 6,5. A better result could have really made a difference in the German's ability to be assertive with their pursuit. Plus, inflicting some turn 1 losses in the open ground noted previously could have taken some steam out of the village attack. Curtis did what he could with the assets he had, but he really didn’t get much luck. Especially true with the 346 going berserk in the northern building and it being required to leave the building to attack the “closer in MFs” 238 (thereby giving control to the Germans there). In any case, an interesting scenario very worthy of play. Now currently on ROAR 6-4 favoring the Germans. A huge thank you to Curtis for yet another well-played game despite the tough assignment.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently completed AP174 Forest Gumm
Just played this one too. It went down to the wire with me thinking my Americans had no hope for 2-3 turns at the end, but an ambush on the penultimate turn allowed me to pull a squad behind the German line into a previously captured building. In the face of insane amounts of fire and a 3:1 CC, they lived to give me the win. I had some bad luck early which really put the Americans on the rear foot, but it was a fun scenario. If it mattered to win, I'd pick the Germans, but both sides have a lot of fun options.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Especially true with the 346 going berserk in the northern building and it being required to leave the building to attack the “closer in MFs” 238 (thereby giving control to the Germans there).
Must charge the nearest (in hexes not MF) KEU (attacker's choice if tied), but must take the shortest in MF route while doing so.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Must charge the nearest (in hexes not MF) KEU (attacker's choice if tied), but must take the shortest in MF route while doing so.
Shoot. Thanks Perry. Got that wrong. I'll have to take solace in that neither option for the zerker was great. If he charged the units in the building it would be 24 flat and, if needed, a 12 flat SFF.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John and I knocked out A109/190 Scouts Out last night. A real barnburner that came down to the last half turn. My Scott’s were recalled early by snipers after each getting down 1 WP round each but by hook and by crook I was able to get into position for the win versus John’s thoughtful and tenacious Krauts. I started turn 7 with three buildings needing two more to win. Prep fire was my friend breaking four and a half squads and 2 leaders. A 3-4-6 half squad moved up to claim a fourth surviving snap shot MGs and a 75mm round from the Mk III. All my two squads had to do was survive and 8 +3 shot. 6-6-6’s…one broke and one pinned! Well earned victory John! Nicely played. Highly recommend this one.

Andrew Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llAustralia
After seeing Craig's AAR of Hickory Lickin, AP172, I decided to give this a go myself with my friend Rich V. . I had the Americans and Rich the Germans. I found it a very counter dense fight, FtF. We knocked over many a stack inadvertently with our old shaky hands, but it was very well balanced. No surprise as Andy Rogers is the designer on this. I slowly constricted the Germans out of the VC area, until on the final turn's CC, I had some sleaze freezed Germans who had to roll a 1-4 snake eyes against my Americans. Nothing else would win the game, including me rolling box cars, because the only hexes he could withdraw to, would have been non-building hexes. Rich got to roll first as I had the sleaze freezing Germans, sleaze freezed and though he did not ambush me, due to an extra pip against him for having a pinned unit in the hex. Still, the presence of the AFV made it sequential. Sure enough, Snakes!!!. God I hate this game. As the AFV was in motion, he was not held in melee and therefore was good order. German win. Rich played a good game and we had a lot of fun along the way.

As for the scenario, I think it is a good one, though I would rather play it on VASL.
Good to see you had fun with this one! Yes it is a bit of a counter-fest. I read this post while watching the Coen brother's file "No Country for Old Men" ... maybe they should write a sequel "No Counters for Old Men". ...

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John and I knocked out A109/190 Scouts Out last night. A real barnburner that came down to the last half turn. My Scott’s were recalled early by snipers after each getting down 1 WP round each but by hook and by crook I was able to get into position for the win versus John’s thoughtful and tenacious Krauts. I started turn 7 with three buildings needing two more to win. Prep fire was my friend breaking four and a half squads and 2 leaders. A 3-4-6 half squad moved up to claim a fourth surviving snap shot MGs and a 75mm round from the Mk III. All my two squads had to do was survive and 8 +3 shot. 6-6-6’s…one broke and one pinned! Well earned victory John! Nicely played. Highly recommend this one.
Those fickle Americans with their hamburgers and rock n roll music just can't stay on task; that 6 morale really hurts. German snipers also play a surprisingly large role in this scenario. With so many open top US AFV and lots of ROF, special ammo, etc., the sharp shooters get lots of exercise. From the German infantry perspective, it's the usual, "If you show yourself then the Americans will whack you with a 16+2 shot!" Good game.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those fickle Americans with their hamburgers and rock n roll music just can't stay on task; that 6 morale really hurts. German snipers also play a surprisingly large role in this scenario. With so many open top US AFV and lots of ROF, special ammo, etc., the sharp shooters get lots of exercise. From the German infantry perspective, it's the usual, "If you show yourself then the Americans will whack you with a 16+2 shot!" Good game.
But I did finally get a smoke pot! There is a bucket list item😊

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good to see you had fun with this one! Yes it is a bit of a counter-fest. I read this post while watching the Coen brother's file "No Country for Old Men" ... maybe they should write a sequel "No Counters for Old Men". ...
Indeed. You would have thought we were playing during an earthquake. :)

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Beasts Have Arrived AP169 - My attacking Germans swiftly moved up the hill where the Russians had fallen back. I took out the two Russian JS tanks with flanking BFF, and then used my AFV advantage to VBM freeze the Russians in the victory buildings, two Panthers were taken out in CCRF but coming down to end game, a 24+1 advancing fire shot into the final VC building knocked out all but a Russian squad who survived CC for a Russian win! Great game.

Aussie Alamo AP166 - My Aussies hung tough early on in their FH's, then pulled back just at the right time to thwart any IJA banzai charges. The Japanese were significantly slowed where the boards meet ( swamp abounding ) and a Aussie body block combined with all IJA leaders dying .. prevented the IJA from cutting through my swarm of defending half squads and the ANZAC Alamo held out for the win. A 3x squad IJA force did take the huts, but without the P5 Alamo hex, they lost.

ANZAC Boys AP161 - ANZAC smoke rounds hit home covering the attack, and with plenty of HTH they took the buildings needed for the win. Last one taken on the last player turn.

The Gateway DB100 - My Amis scored some early AFV knockouts, but our Anti Tank Mines didn't hit home, and the German attack supported by the FT tank made into the village quickly and easily won.

The Last Drive FT251 - The GI's were annihilated entering the map and the game was over before it began

A Deadlier Beat CA! #1 - French set up in somewhat a rear slope defense, the Germans entered and crossed the river unharmed. The lack of any real LOS to the French rendered the Germans guns fairly useless and when the Germans crested the hill, the French stopped them. French tanks also headed to their right flank and with no AT weapons the Germans who had attacked there were surrounded and knocked out of the game. French win.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Tonight, I played the last Turn to finish AP86 Milling About by Gary Fortenberry.

It is a highly rated, tournament-sized scenario which is almost perfectly balanced according to the ROAR count of around 60 playings as of 5. June 2021.

The full AAR of this playing in which I had the British can be found here.

von Marwitz

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just finished ASL 234 Counterstroke At Stonne with Cpl Uhl.

The word that springs to mind is "grinding"

Grinding misery, grinding tedium, there are many words that fit :)

The scenario is such that it is slow moving. Cpl Uhl went for the blob offense and played it superbly. Tanks out in front going for vehicular smoke. Infantry following behind. Ground up the board for a win.

Playing it again I would defend the minimum and put everything back defending the village.

It is very frustrating playing the Germans as they have nothing that can kill those French tanks. My two 37L halftracks both rolled boxcars on their first shot. The HMG malf'd and then a six on the repair roll. I got one AP shot with three Stugs :rolleyes:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Just finished ASL 234 Counterstroke At Stonne with Cpl Uhl.

Grinding misery, grinding tedium, there are many words that fit :)

The scenario is such that it is slow moving. Cpl Uhl went for the blob offense and played it superbly. Tanks out in front going for vehicular smoke. Infantry following behind. Ground up the board for a win.

Playing it again I would defend the minimum and put everything back defending the village.

It is very frustrating playing the Germans as they have nothing that can kill those French tanks. My two 37L halftracks both rolled boxcars on their first shot. The HMG malf'd and then a six on the repair roll. I got one AP shot with three Stugs :rolleyes:
It is a change to see German AP rounds bouncing off an enemy tank. Then again boxcars didn't really give you much chance to experience that!

A scenario that I always enjoyed. 😊

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed!

Playing it again I would defend the minimum and put everything back defending the village
Playing it again...I wouldn't!! Very glad to HAVE played it, looked at that scenario card for years. And it was...fun? A lot of work? Long? Grinding!

Kudos to Joe for hanging in there. While there are some important decision points for the German, most of it is sitting there shooting or skulking.

For the French it's the total opposite. Every unit's move is tied to another, either to create cover or draw fire or set up future platoon movement or make sure leaders can get to brokies. The French have 27 MMC and I deployed roughly half of those, so that's 40 MMC's running around. Each turn is exhausting.

If you play this one, make sure the French player is fast or bring a book.

In the end I was satisfied, since I avoided the allure of splitting my forces and just kept the blue blob grinding ahead. The feint towards the Brd 3 2-level+ building fixed too many Germans there and then the student body left got me into the victory buildings in the village. I was lucky with non-Platoon Movement TCs and vehicular smoke grenades.

But it was like building a stone wall. Slow, laborious, ultimately satisfying, but you hope not to have to do it again for fifty years.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Indeed!

Playing it again...I wouldn't!! Very glad to HAVE played it, looked at that scenario card for years. And it was...fun? A lot of work? Long? Grinding!

Kudos to Joe for hanging in there. While there are some important decision points for the German, most of it is sitting there shooting or skulking.

For the French it's the total opposite. Every unit's move is tied to another, either to create cover or draw fire or set up future platoon movement or make sure leaders can get to brokies. The French have 27 MMC and I deployed roughly half of those, so that's 40 MMC's running around. Each turn is exhausting.

If you play this one, make sure the French player is fast or bring a book.

In the end I was satisfied, since I avoided the allure of splitting my forces and just kept the blue blob grinding ahead. The feint towards the Brd 3 2-level+ building fixed too many Germans there and then the student body left got me into the victory buildings in the village. I was lucky with non-Platoon Movement TCs and vehicular smoke grenades.

But it was like building a stone wall. Slow, laborious, ultimately satisfying, but you hope not to have to do it again for fifty years.
It must have been my masochistic streak but I always enjoyed this one. As I have mentioned before it was probably the first scenario I played against Fish. I'm fond of it for no other reason than that. 😘

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Just finished a PBEM game of RB10 Commissar's House as the Russian. German was played by Lauri Mattila.

It is 8,5 turns long but to me it felt like a 6 turn game - if the German is not into the Commissarhaus by then he is going to run out of time - if he gets in in force the brutal firepower is going to do the Russian player in. What happens before is interesting - how can the Russian slow German down while getting most of his OB ack into the Commissarhaus but the endgame is not that interesting.

Our game culminated on turn 6 when I just managed to push the first Germans entering back and at the same time managed to rally most of my troops. After that Lauri banged his head against the fortified building and gave up after it became obvious he could not get all the locations in time.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Just finished a PBEM game of RB10 Commissar's House as the Russian. German was played by Lauri Mattila.

It is 8,5 turns long but to me it felt like a 6 turn game - if the German is not into the Commissarhaus by then he is going to run out of time - if he gets in in force the brutal firepower is going to do the Russian player in. What happens before is interesting - how can the Russian slow German down while getting most of his OB ack into the Commissarhaus but the endgame is not that interesting.

Our game culminated on turn 6 when I just managed to push the first Germans entering back and at the same time managed to rally most of my troops. After that Lauri banged his head against the fortified building and gave up after it became obvious he could not get all the locations in time.
Great scenario!🤗