So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Couple of scenarios I have finished this week:

FB14 At the Narrow Passage as the Hungarian. My Brother Teemu was German and my Cousin Mikko was Russian. I did not have the chance to prepare for this and just played it out. I was a statist in this one - but I learned a lot what is going o happen and will play this again for sure as I now have way better idea what to do. My brother won as the German in the end. A truly unique scenario and highly recommended. I am surprised that this one has not seen more play and discussion.
There's a group of players in North Carolina who are experts in this scenario, and the Hungarians are their preferred side. Glad you enjoyed it!

Pte Parts

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
All my scenarios this year have been from 1941:
G24 Mountain comes to Mohammed
220 They fired on Odessa
J102 The Yelnya bridge
A107 The red Wave
J103 Lenin's sons (my favourite so far this year)
J104 Flanking Flamethrowers
J105 Borodino Train Station (least favourite)
J115 Last Push to Mozhaisk
G9 Sunday of the Dead
AP13 Shielding Moscow
J9 A Stiff Fight
A91 The Road to Gora
A90 Cutting out a Strongpoint
J149 Taking a stand at Rosario
Getting ready for G27 Vaagso Venture

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John and I finished up Polish Requiem (BoF2 version) last night. My dice really did him in to allow the Germans to eek out a victory. PZ IV got three rounds of AP to kill three FTs and a PZ II got a pair of FTs both on pointblank intensive fire shots. Sandwich that with my average MC roll last night was probably a 5. Still like the scenario as it is about as closely balanced as possible but with four platings I hope to never play it again! 😊. Damn B11 MAs...

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Let's see,.. in the past month:

T6 Dead of Winter
SP204 Yankee Pride
U14 Sacrifice of Polish Armor
U5 Point D'Appui
U15 Battle for the Warta Line
U21 The French Perimeter

and,... wrapped up VotG IV (a wash as a refit phase was badly bungled <my fault>)

Started the Dinant CG this week (as the Germans this time).

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Let's see,.. in the past month:

T6 Dead of Winter
SP204 Yankee Pride
U14 Sacrifice of Polish Armor
U5 Point D'Appui
U15 Battle for the Warta Line
U21 The French Perimeter

and,... wrapped up VotG IV (a wash as a refit phase was badly bungled <my fault>)

Started the Dinant CG this week (as the Germans this time).
That's some serious action, mate...

von Marwitz

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished "Where Iron Crosses Grow", Sothern Cross Scenario SX5.2. Set in April, 1945, near Berlin, (so the Germans have lots of PF's). The Russians must take all the board 4 buildings in 5 1/2 turns. The one muliti-hex building is fortified, has cellars, and is surrounded by wire and some mines. Taking that fortified building requires a massive effort. I took a long time for the Russian to claim it. Meanwhile, the Russians cannot ignore the remaining single hex buildings or they will run out of time. So, this is really like two games in one. It is brutal fighting from start to finish.

The Russians receive nine tanks, including six T-34/85's, and 23 squads. They have a massive FP advantage, but must decide how to apportion their forces. If the Russian tanks stay far enough back, they can pound the German positions. The Germans receive a mixture of squad types, a healthy number of MG's, some PSK's, two Pz IV's, a 75 mm AT Gun. They have a fair amount of HIP units to work with, so must spring traps on the Russians, lots of nasty surprises here. If the Pz IV's come out to fight, they are overmatched by the T-34/85's.

In this case, the Russians won on the last player turn by swarming the one last remaining building in German hands. My sense is that the Germans need the balance (replace one Pz IV with a Panther) to counter the T-34/85's. But a great scenario.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I played an incredible game of BoF17 No Time to Bleed as the SS against the formidable Bo Siemsen. By Russian Turn 6 the exit option was not possible, but only two AFVs (of 13!) remained in play, a T-34 with Malf’ed MA, and an Immobilized Tiger, with the turret side on to the recently repaired ART 76L. I fired the MA of the Tiger to change TCA, and of course rolled Boxcars, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! 😩
Still, any game that close against Bo counts as a half victory. 😀
I am "the formidable" :) and I approve this message
This was a real barn-burner of a scenario. It got flipped on it's head so many times through the last turn and a half that it was really something. I was sure I had it won, then it was hanging in the balance, then I was sure it was lost - and finally it was gift-wrapped to me on a platter with the final box car and non-repair.

Maybe one day I'll tell him that he didn't need to take that shot :censored:

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J191 Rebel without A Pause

Tom and I took a break from play testing to engage in this short fight. It was a horrid display of shooting by both sides, but the German's managed to keep it together long enough for the win. Tom chose VC option 3, Overall a good scenario on the wonderful board 68. I gained a square in ASL bingo when a prisoner was repatriated into a conscript 1/2 squad. Never had that occur before. A good scenario and I recommend it.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished "Where Iron Crosses Grow", Sothern Cross Scenario SX5.2. Set in April, 1945, near Berlin, (so the Germans have lots of PF's). The Russians must take all the board 4 buildings in 5 1/2 turns. The one muliti-hex building is fortified, has cellars, and is surrounded by wire and some mines. Taking that fortified building requires a massive effort. I took a long time for the Russian to claim it. Meanwhile, the Russians cannot ignore the remaining single hex buildings or they will run out of time. So, this is really like two games in one. It is brutal fighting from start to finish.

The Russians receive nine tanks, including six T-34/85's, and 23 squads. They have a massive FP advantage, but must decide how to apportion their forces. If the Russian tanks stay far enough back, they can pound the German positions. The Germans receive a mixture of squad types, a healthy number of MG's, some PSK's, two Pz IV's, a 75 mm AT Gun. They have a fair amount of HIP units to work with, so must spring traps on the Russians, lots of nasty surprises here. If the Pz IV's come out to fight, they are overmatched by the T-34/85's.

In this case, the Russians won on the last player turn by swarming the one last remaining building in German hands. My sense is that the Germans need the balance (replace one Pz IV with a Panther) to counter the T-34/85's. But a great scenario.
I don't know how this one differs from the OA28 version published in Out Of The Attic II but the OA version is one of my all time favorites. Put the wire & mines (exchange some for A-T mines) along the board edge to mess with the Russian entry and you have an almost straight up game barring lucky wire exit DRs. Placement of the ATG is critical especially with Ammo Shortage for the Germans but with any luck can cover the backside of the board 4 "farm" and keep the T34/85's honest in their attempts to get at the Px IVs in the backfield. After a few playings I believe exchanging a Pz IV for a Pz V would be too huge of a balance as I rate it dead even as is. A great scenario!

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Last weeks Games completed for me:

FrF86 Belgian Tigers live VASL against Øyvind Bjørkås with me as defending Belgian. This scenario features a bridge crossing - or at least two thirds of bridge crossing as some Germans and an ATG are already across the canal of board 23 at start. In the early turns Øyvinds' Germans suffered terribly but in the end he got across in force - and then Belgians were spread perilously thin. The Belgian 4 reinforcements were able to stabilize the situation somewhat but still Øyvind managed to control 7 buildings and as 6 are required I had to take 2 back. I pulled out all the maneuver I could and managed to get MMCs adjacent to two of unguarded buildings and pulled out really hard fought victory

This one is one of the best - if not the best - bridge crossing scenario out there.

J137 No Mercy In Burcy PMEM against Daniel Virobik. Dan was attacking SS and I played British. This is small bocage exercise with Germans having 838 SS squads and flamethrowers, and British defense hanging on 5 Shermans and OBA module. In the early turns my OBA landed perfectly and I got in two fire missions which dispersed Germans early attack, but as these are SS they bounce back. Fortunately the early OBA success gave me time to reorganize my defense and effective Sherman Gunfire finished the game. Fun playing not so often seen board 55 but I must say this one seems tough on the German.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Couple of scenarios I have finished this week:

BFP143 Gun Show played as the attacking Russian against Rami Saarinen who was playing the Polish. Rami set up heavily on middle board BFB O. Russian OB in this one has air support, OBA with plentiful ammo, assault engineers, bunch of of mortars and assortment of tanks so felt like playing late war western allies OB. There was a heavy battle on board BFP O where by turn 4 I got the upper hand and I entered board BPF L and started to go after victory buildings, and it quickly became apparent that he did not have enough to cover all of the buildings and he conceded at beginning on turn 6. Really different feel from the usual Russian early war OB.

FB14 At the Narrow Passage as the Hungarian. My Brother Teemu was German and my Cousin Mikko was Russian. I did not have the chance to prepare for this and just played it out. I was a statist in this one - but I learned a lot what is going o happen and will play this again for sure as I now have way better idea what to do. My brother won as the German in the end. A truly unique scenario and highly recommended. I am surprised that this one has not seen more play and discussion.
I ran this as a 3player mini at the Bitter Ender 2 years in a row. Oddly the Hungarian won every game. Might do it again for 2022 and give Germans and Russians the balance. This one has a high learning curve especially for the German. One of my favorites

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know how this one differs from the OA28 version published in Out Of The Attic II but the OA version is one of my all time favorites.
The Southern Cross SX5.2 and OA28 look identical, thanks for pointing that out. Apparently MMP republished a number of these privateer tournament scenarios in Out of the Attic II. Mark Pitcavage's website has more info.

Southern Cross — Desperation Morale

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Southern Cross SX5.2 and OA28 look identical, thanks for pointing that out. Apparently MMP republished a number of these privateer tournament scenarios in Out of the Attic II. Mark Pitcavage's website has more info.

Southern Cross — Desperation Morale
I wish either Mark or MMP would get some of the Aussie tournament scenarios up/out. I’ve seen some good ones but the copies I’ve got aren’t very good

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I hate bridge crossing scenarios so maybe I should try this one to test that hypothesis. But then I might just be really bad at bridge crossing scenarios....
You want to play it Cpl Uhl - put it on the list :)

I have played it as the Germans - and lost..............

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played ASL 209 A Line too Thinly Held and the Americans got trounced.

It's an appealing night-lite scenario, no cloaking, no No Move or extra HIP/? for the defender, played on a nice hill overlay (Hi7).

First prep took out a squad w/an OBA CH, had a Pershing recalled with a 6,6 NMC, another squad breaks and by the end of T2, all the Americans on the hill except for two HS were broken.

Just a matter of time before the North Korean hoard overwhelmed the Alamo.

Another disappointing scenario from FW - after Hey, That Ain't a ROK was also one-sided.

Trying Gloster Hill next, hope that will be better.