So what scenarios have you played Recently?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RO 6 really depends a lot on the OBA.

Did the Germans use tunnels craftily?
In this play, we didn't get far enough to find out if the German player had any tunnels. When you lose the OBA, almost every move is a down 2 shot and my opponent's avg. DR was a 6.65. It was deadly :)

Why would you forfeit a fortified building location in order to obtain a tunnel? 3 locations (L38 cellar, L38 G floor, & Q39) automatically scream for a fortified location in order to stop any sewer movement infiltration. The others I suspect would be optimally placed to stop a direct assault on S38 (along with the wire). You can't go around the buildings to come in from behind if your opponent placed a MG on his flanks as again you are running through -2 shots. It's a tough nut to crack.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why would you forfeit a fortified building location in order to obtain a tunnel?QUOTE]

As the German, IOT setup up front, then move/route back out of the OBA into the factory. Doesn't sound like your artillery men gave the German that opportunity. 😁

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In this play, we didn't get far enough to find out if the German player had any tunnels. When you lose the OBA, almost every move is a down 2 shot and my opponent's avg. DR was a 6.65. It was deadly :)

Why would you forfeit a fortified building location in order to obtain a tunnel? 3 locations (L38 cellar, L38 G floor, & Q39) automatically scream for a fortified location in order to stop any sewer movement infiltration. The others I suspect would be optimally placed to stop a direct assault on S38 (along with the wire). You can't go around the buildings to come in from behind if your opponent placed a MG on his flanks as again you are running through -2 shots. It's a tough nut to crack.
No tunnels for my Germans....

owenedwards

Reaction score
Country
ll
A The Guards Counterattack.

My 4th game. Went down to the last half-turn, but the Russians were in a strong position from, really, turn 1, and definitely turn 3. Their first big Human Wave (of the Guards) swept the 1F5 building, and then on turns 2 and 3 the Soviets mopped up some broken Germans and then Human Waved again. The central building was the ultimate victory building, whilst German pressure on the southernmost building was stymied by very poor rallying. In the last turn they finally made a couple of breaks for it, as they'd finally broken the Soviets inside, but their Prep Fire hadn't broken enough overwatching Soviets in the central building, and it wasn't enough.

The key stat is shown in losses, though: with no extra losses in Turn 5 on either side, the Germans had lost 7.5 squads, 2 x LMG, and 3 Leader, to 5.5 squads and the Commissar for the Soviets. The Germans couldn't buy a final K, even with big FGs. Not that the rolls were wildly divergent - but it was definitely a factor with all the stone buildings. Very fun.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

My 4th game. Went down to the last half-turn, but the Russians were in a strong position from, really, turn 1, and definitely turn 3. Their first big Human Wave (of the Guards) swept the 1F5 building, and then on turns 2 and 3 the Soviets mopped up some broken Germans and then Human Waved again. The central building was the ultimate victory building, whilst German pressure on the southernmost building was stymied by very poor rallying. In the last turn they finally made a couple of breaks for it, as they'd finally broken the Soviets inside, but their Prep Fire hadn't broken enough overwatching Soviets in the central building, and it wasn't enough.

The key stat is shown in losses, though: with no extra losses in Turn 5 on either side, the Germans had lost 7.5 squads, 2 x LMG, and 3 Leader, to 5.5 squads and the Commissar for the Soviets. The Germans couldn't buy a final K, even with big FGs. Not that the rolls were wildly divergent - but it was definitely a factor with all the stone buildings. Very fun.
Still a lot of fun to play!!! The original classic!!!🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

@ 43 years of playing and it still has appeal and playability. Amazing!!

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J 19 Merzenhausen Zoo

Can you say awesome!

On the last turn, the Allies rushed building 10Z6 from the south for a crack at victory. Their 9-2 and some machine guns provided devastating covering fire from the west (10U5/U8) enabling them to break and route all but one of the German occupants. A lone 2-2-8 with Panzerschreck denied the Allies building control, so they would have to measure progress one location at a time.

All German survivors, then about five squads huddled in the northeastern buildings, followed their King Tigers into the 10Z6 building. One big cat failed ESB and so broke down at the front door. That was good enough, he turned his turret to kill a Crocodile along the north edge at 10X1. Another big cat crashed into the foyer and blasted an adjacent 6-6-6 with a 3 to hit, thanks to the armor leader! A Stug came around the back to fire on 10Z7. German infantry funneled in via smoke left behind by the Stug in 10BB6. The Germans took half the ground floor back and their 2-2-8 persisted in melee against an American 3-4-7 to deliver the win by limiting the Allies to 33 of the 38 required building locations.

Attachments

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
ASL is a game of maneuver. Tunnels add another element of that.
Would you say there is less maneuver in modern scenarios than those bitd? IIRC there was a discussion a while back about why modern scenarios tend to be shorter than old scenarios. One point that was made was modern players like to get right to the action and prefer to avoid the maneuvering into position. IOW, wham bam thank you vs. foreplay. 😉

Just curious as to your thoughts about this.🤔🤔

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Hi Top. Because there are many vicious things you can do with tunnels. Find a likely rout location building for the enemy in relation to your MLR and have a tunnel open to it. He tries to Rally DM guys, fails. You send someone down the tunnel, he pops up in the enemies brokies hex concealed as a wolf among lambs. God forbid HtH is allowed, you can clear out a whole platoon and with the likely successful ambush, leave when finished. Nasty stuff those tunnels. Since he can't re-DM those guys and you aren't going to, he can't rout them away before you eat them for porridge.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would you say there is less maneuver in modern scenarios than those bitd? IIRC there was a discussion a while back about why modern scenarios tend to be shorter than old scenarios. One point that was made was modern players like to get right to the action and prefer to avoid the maneuvering into position. IOW, wham bam thank you vs. foreplay. 😉

Just curious as to your thoughts about this.🤔🤔
I'd say that the trend towards multiple victory conditions has more than made up for the smaller scenario size.

Defenders can't just retreat to the 'love nugget'* and skulk the rest of the way. They need to spread out and keep moving until the attacker commits.

* "Love Nugget' trademark Darrell Andersen.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Amy H - Every one knows that against a Half competent British player that this Scenario is at least 75% pro British right? Indestructible tank with a 9-2 Armor Leader, and basically is a mobile HMG, No Cower, Hip MMC, Two mobile 36 Goliath like Trucks. Stone buildings to sit in, 8 ? counters and to top it off Bore siting and a SAN of 5.
Germans come from off board have to be on sidecars (they could move further with out them off road) - 8 squads vs 5 1/2 and 2 Crews to man 1 Gun so in essense 6 1/2 squad equivalents. The Germans have to remove all Good order British Infantry from 3 hexes of the middle of the Board- Roar has them closer but Roar does not tell you who is playing whom. This scenario should never see the light of day at another tournament. That is my two cents worth.

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Amy H -
This scenario should never see the light of day at another tournament. That is my two cents worth.
It's an obvious shit show from before you lay out the boards...
BTW you forgot ROWHOUSES that you have to BUG HUNT in.
Yeah..the 9-2 is a bit overkill.
You cant even engage him in CC his CMG of 6 is a 3-2 (-2DRM) in CC...
Ummm....OK.
You can't even immobilize it...you hit it ....50% no immobilization. ROFL.
Someone who hates the Germans and loves that crappy board 10....(can we lay that board to rest ALREADY?) designed it.

IF all buildings were ground level...that would change it...but its a silly game.

And since you can't kill the TANK....if he gets low on units...he abandons the tank to keep the VC from occurring (although you MIGHT say the immediate nature balances it.......meh...HIP MMC prevents that from happening)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amy H - Every one knows that against a Half competent British player that this Scenario is at least 75% pro British right? Indestructible tank with a 9-2 Armor Leader, and basically is a mobile HMG, No Cower, Hip MMC, Two mobile 36 Goliath like Trucks. Stone buildings to sit in, 8 ? counters and to top it off Bore siting and a SAN of 5.
Germans come from off board have to be on sidecars (they could move further with out them off road) - 8 squads vs 5 1/2 and 2 Crews to man 1 Gun so in essense 6 1/2 squad equivalents. The Germans have to remove all Good order British Infantry from 3 hexes of the middle of the Board- Roar has them closer but Roar does not tell you who is playing whom. This scenario should never see the light of day at another tournament. That is my two cents worth.
I take it you crushed your opponent as the Germans?

buser333

Reaction score
It's an obvious shit show from before you lay out the boards...
BTW you forgot ROWHOUSES that you have to BUG HUNT in.
Yeah..the 9-2 is a bit overkill.
You cant even engage him in CC his CMG of 6 is a 3-2 (-2DRM) in CC...
Ummm....OK.
You can't even immobilize it...you hit it ....50% no immobilization. ROFL.
Someone who hates the Germans and loves that crappy board 10....(can we lay that board to rest ALREADY?) designed it.

IF all buildings were ground level...that would change it...but its a silly game.

And since you can't kill the TANK....if he gets low on units...he abandons the tank to keep the VC from occurring (although you MIGHT say the immediate nature balances it.......meh...HIP MMC prevents that from happening)
A CMG of 6 vs a squad in CC would be 1:1 (6: CCV=5).

Orphan76

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llUnited States
WO30 As Luck Would Have It (ROAR German 25 British 20). Lost as the British. Germans have to get 8VP more than the British,12VP for Building Control and 27VP for exiting Infantry off the north edge so a possibility of 39VP in total, the British can get 4VP for destroying AFV's. The British have to setup pretty spread out due to the VC, this makes it possible for the Germans to setup their 2 MMG with a -1 Leader near the middle of the board isolating the VC area that the German chooses to go for. British ATG took out and AFV and went on a HE ROF tear killing a Leader and Squad. That was the highlight for the British. The Germans turned the western flank getting behind the bocage as they were attacking with 9 squads and 4 AFV vs 5 British squads while the other 3 British squads were repeatedly broken by the MMG's while trying to cross the board to get to the action. Conceded on turn 4 when 3 squads had to surrendered to a HS. Never got close enough to a German AFV to try the Gammon Bomb SSR.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Today I finished my AAR on J44 / ASL238 Audacity! which I concluded two days ago. It can be found here.

The game recently featured in some tournament as I observed it being played on VASL three or four times while my game (outside the tournament) was ongoing.

My playing went to the very last DR in the very last CCPh.

von Marwitz