So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished playing RO3 Defenders of Stalingrad with Cpl Uhl. I was the Germans. I told Cpl Uhl that if I won as the Germans I would immediately go on Gamesquad and brag. So here I am.......

I had all the Germans apart from one half squad on the roof of Z21 in the West end of the factory. I deployed 4-6-7's to put bodies in the way of the Russian horde, remained concealed and hid my 9-2 kill stack in M23 / O23. Cpl Uhl had some bad CC rolls and in the end could only clear two hexes adjacent to my kill stack that had moved in the final turn to M22. He had to come adjacent, none of his prep fires had worked. A 40 FP down one was a five to clear one hex, 20FP flat was a four to clear the other for a German win.

Defenders of Stalingrad [RO3]German8Russian20

That method was the only way I could think of to survive the wave of 6-2-8's coming at you.

It was a win. I think it is fair to say it did not lead to an exciting game. In fact Cpl Uhl and I are giving up on the Red Factories scenarios and going to the Red Barricades scenarios. I have not played those and Cpl Uhl states they are far better.
For the most part I agree but I still think The Commissar's House is a stinker. 138 of the 138th however is an absolute gem both in its original DB rendition or slightly changed MMP released version. There are a couple that may be less fun possibly because of set up restrictions or play area allowed but overall the scenarios are MUCH better for RB.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
U19 Hasty Pudding.....Absolutely loved this scenario! A large, old-school blast. Brits "sped" (low MP AFV besides the Carriers) across the river to set up a defense in the village and orchards. A few German halftracks later slipped by and headed to Abandon crews on the bridge. The 94ART guarding the bridge entrance had its crew broken early by the Jerry sniper, only to recover in the final Turn when there were too many wrecks on the bridge to get a decent shot at anything. This casualty caused the British defense to fall back a bit sooner than they liked. Though the Brits made it back enough to gum up the bridge entry area towards the end, a HS and two Matilda II made it back on the bridge itself. A Brit truck OVR (!) managed to break a German 1-2-7 crew on the bridge (FTR), but one AFV crew survived among the (burning) wrecks strewn across the bridge. A 4-6-7 put paid to that by advancing onto the bridge as well in the game's final APh for the German win.

What I enjoyed, besides the huge roiling cauldron of mayhem in/around the bridge, was the multitude of options for the Brits in this one. The Germans do not come on board until 4b, and low MP AFV and trucks Towing not withstanding, there is barely adequate time to really set up some unique defenses. Do you unload trucked infantry and start digging foxholes, both for defense or rout/egress? Do you unload troops to help Manhandle the Guns into spots that a crew alone would play hell in doing by themselves (woods, the Y5 wall enclosure in village center)? Do you try to HD an AFV or two up on the hill on bridge overwatch? So many options and barely enough time to enact them. Part of my partialness is also likely due to two "firsts" for me, or at least that my whiskey-addled brain can remember. If I have done a truck OVR before, it was so long ago that I can't remember; and I definitiely (I think) have never created an MG Firelane with a captured enemy MG. I saw no prohibition against that one, just the increased chance of breakdown. Of course, this size/length of scenario also always seems to eventually create the plethora of random goodness that makes ASL so great.....CC leader creation...heroic leaders...berserkers...heroes, etc. Very good times, indeed!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about Playing Fields, then you pick, Blood & Guts or 138.
I did like the RO6: The Playing Field but would certainly pick RB12: 138 Of The 138th over RB2: Blood & Guts which I consider to be fair scenario but not up to the standards of 138th.

buser333

Reaction score
I did like the RO6: The Playing Field but would certainly pick RB12: 138 Of The 138th over RB2: Blood & Guts which I consider to be fair scenario but not up to the standards of 138th.
I've only played three RB scenarios (the first three). I thought RB2 was fairly fun, but I was the Germans and it's very pro-German if you ask me. I just got done with RB1 not too long ago and thought it was the best of the bunch. RB3 was just too small and dicey for my tastes.

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Q18, Take the Crossroads today. My defending Germans were swept aside after my 9-1, 467, MMG were taken out by an American 60mm mortar. This was a first round match in the Nor'easter Tourney.

Rob

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
AP 131Crickets in Spring was fun. my attacking ss men were able to capture heaps of VC buildings and destroy Russian units for the win. heaps of great ASL action: awesome AFV battle, three Panthers vs six T34 85's. Panthers took out four. one T-34 got a side shot kill on a Panther. a ss squad PF'd a T-34 but ate a one on back blast. Russians immobilized a Panther in CC and shrugged off the suggywoofer. Russians rolled snake eyes in CC, zapped a couple ss men, and rolled up an 8-0. key to ss win was sweeping around both flanks gobbling up VC buildings before stout Russian reinforcements arrive. lots of playing on ROAR, pretty even but we thought it kinda tough for the Russians

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished my second round match for the vWO. Played another German vs Russian slugfest on new board 15a(mostly). My Germans(SS) attacked with a dozen squads and some big cats. The Russians defended with a lone 57LL AT gun and some reinforcing armor, which included two JSII. My infantry ground forward while the Tigers and Panthers acted like kittens. Mid-game my infantry killed both Stalins, one with a faust, one with a shreck. This allowed the kitties to join the party and following some snakes(from me) and some boxcars(from the Reds), the Germans rolled up the defense for the win. Fun scenario.

Rob

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Couple of recent games or me:

SP213 The Mighty Have Fallen first round of the of the Ersatz VASLeague against Hank Wit. I was American and Hank played Japanese. In this scenario US early war 447s supported by 5 AFVs (2 75 mm halftracks and 3 M3 light tanks) defend three widely spaced areas and have to keep an unit on 2 of them. I setup my defense too forward and even tough I had reserves I squandered them trying to save the situation. I managed to draw out the game until second last turn but jus ran out of forces. I played the ELR 2 447s as they were 667s with ELR of 4. This sceario is somewhat pro Japanese in ROAR but I'd say it takes one playing or careful study to do it right. With the right setup I'd say it sold be pretty balanced.

FT239 Armored Probe at Sidi-Nsir aganst Tom Repetti. His AAR can be found here.

WO32 Corps Value a Korean War scenario, I played the Marine and my cousin Mikko was the North Korean. I attacked hard on the flanks. Made a mistake and lost 8-0, 668 squad and a 248 HS on my first move ona KIA from MMG. Same MMG caused a NMC on my flame tanks which was CE to drive into a good position on turn 1, and I rolled boxcars. After this start I was behind but decided try anyway. Tried to capture as many prisoners as I could and used the tremendous firepower available form the 5 M26A1 Persings to clear the way for me. I found all Mikkos mines, Mikko advanced a couple of HIP suicide heroes on me and I did not lose a single tank - coupe of them were immobilized but none were turned into CVP. I captured a lot of prisoners and managed to take all of the victory buildings. Things would have been so different if Mikkos AT assets would heve bagged even one tank. Fun scenario with asymmetric troops.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J154 Cradle to Grave x2

Very difficult on the Germans if the Americans defend up front vigorously. Al asked for a redo by the end of turn 3 of our first playing when he drove his two PzIV into an LOS ambush of the M10 on the lvl 2 hill which promptly shot them both on consecutive shots. The very next turn an 81MM Shock/UK a Panther. So we reoladed and went at it again. We got to turn 6 but a ROF tear from one of the 81mm decimated his front side infantry assault leaving nothing but a wounded leader in its wake. The US withdrew to the village, along with the partisans and I had the entire OB in stone buildings, minus a partisan squad to delay the Germans on the wood paths.

Searching on GS today I found a good debate about this scenario and the "Upfront" defense, seems this is the way to go. I would be interested in hearing war stories from players who've won as the Germans vs the upfront defense.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Searching on GS today I found a good debate about this scenario and the "Upfront" defense, seems this is the way to go. I would be interested in hearing war stories from players who've won as the Germans vs the upfront defense.
I am currently playing this one. An AAR will follow when I am done with it.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J154 Cradle to Grave x2

Very difficult on the Germans if the Americans defend up front vigorously. Al asked for a redo by the end of turn 3 of our first playing when he drove his two PzIV into an LOS ambush of the M10 on the lvl 2 hill which promptly shot them both on consecutive shots. The very next turn an 81MM Shock/UK a Panther. So we reoladed and went at it again. We got to turn 6 but a ROF tear from one of the 81mm decimated his front side infantry assault leaving nothing but a wounded leader in its wake. The US withdrew to the village, along with the partisans and I had the entire OB in stone buildings, minus a partisan squad to delay the Germans on the wood paths.

Recently played this one (lost as the German in a big way) but had little difficulty with the SPATs as I engaged them with the Panthers and took them out relatively quickly. However they did force the Germans to move their Pz IVs with some caution early that allowed the U.S. reinforcements coming in on the German's rear to tie them up away from the crux of the main fight. The 81mm Mtrs were another matter and tied up the German infantry for a considerable time as well as the MOL carrying partisans keeping the Panthers at a respectable distance without any direct infantry support. With a considerable Americans in their rear and trying to punch out units with good range from Stone buildings, it was just too much to ask from my German force.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Nor'Easter round 1 (weird saying that in January): Tom Morin and I played DB157 Morning Massacre. I had the attacking Germans. I wanted to have Germans in all three victory buildings, preferably without Americans, before the American reinforcements came on turn 3.

The pre-game American HS rolls left four broken out of six, but the one with the leader rallied to have three available to fight. I sent a platoon to deal with them and everyone else went for the victory buildings. I had turn one smoke where I wanted, but the American sniper killed my 8-1 and the LLMC broke 1.5 squads. After taking one victory building, that sniper recalled one of my Pz4 tanks. Tom had the crews abandon the halftracks, taking the MA with them. He quickly matched up the 50cal with the 9-2 which broke two of my squads in its first fire phase. By turn three, I had people in the third building, but I felt I had too many broken units to be able to finish the job and keep my tanks alive to win, so I conceded.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nor'Easter round 1 (weird saying that in January): Tom Morin and I played DB157 Morning Massacre. I had the attacking Germans. I wanted to have Germans in all three victory buildings, preferably without Americans, before the American reinforcements came on turn 3.

The pre-game American HS rolls left four broken out of six, but the one with the leader rallied to have three available to fight. I sent a platoon to deal with them and everyone else went for the victory buildings. I had turn one smoke where I wanted, but the American sniper killed my 8-1 and the LLMC broke 1.5 squads. After taking one victory building, that sniper recalled one of my Pz4 tanks. Tom had the crews abandon the halftracks, taking the MA with them. He quickly matched up the 50cal with the 9-2 which broke two of my squads in its first fire phase. By turn three, I had people in the third building, but I felt I had too many broken units to be able to finish the job and keep my tanks alive to win, so I conceded.
A 9-2 with a 50 cal is kind of like Judge Roy Bean : paraphrased-
"Time will pass and seasons will come and go. Spring with its wavin' green grass and heaps of sweet-smellin' flowers on every hill and in every dale. Then sultry Summer, with her shimmerin' heat-waves on the baked horizon. And Fall, with her yeller harvest moon and the hills growin' brown and golden under a sinkin' sun. And finally Winter, with its bitin', whinin' wind, and all the land will be mantled with snow. But you won't be here to see any of 'em; not by a damn sight, because it's the order of Ma Deuce to eat hot lead until you're dead, dead, dead, you son of a billy goat."

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Finished a game of BoF16 Saluting A General last Wednesday. This scenario was previously published under the same name as FrF56 and underwent some changes to strengthen the Germans a bit.

I have just completed a thorough AAR for the playing which can be found here.

von Marwitz