So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played DB141 Gut Punch as German. German setup must be scattered to meet three Soviet assault groups, one each board. The German does not have much staying power but the victory conditions are fairly demanding for the attacker, which needs to wipe out the defenders from all buildings, including three mid-size factories. The scenario has good replayability and is fast-paced. Due to fairly good dice, i was able as German to destroy or immobilise six tanks, which were sorely missing for the end game. The King Tiger is a tough nut to crack although it is immobilized. Enjoyable for both sides and recommended.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
AP88 Full Moon Madness from Action Pack #9. Another "training" scenario for me, brushing up on night and PTO rules in preparation for taking on the Edson's Ridge campaign game. I naively thought that illuminating rounds, open ground and MGs would help to hold off the wall of cloaked creeping elite Japanese death. Nope. All the defender's choices seem invidious in such situations - starshells/IR to at least slow enemy movement through open ground, but potentially blinding you to close approaches in any remaining dark; open fire with low chance of stripping enemy ?/cloak, loss of your own ? leading to almost certain ambush and HtH CC slaughter; do nothing, enemy just gets close faster and still likely ambush and HtH CC slaughter. And seems like it's going to be worse in the jungle of Guadalcanal. Nice.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
RPT154 Mars Begins: The OBA was probably the difference in our game. I drew three consecutive black cards that gave me access for the whole game. Initially used it to hammer the human wave which came down the extreme left flank, then progressively shifted it across to the right where it wore down the Soviet infantry in the midgame and was crucial in the last turn, shocking a Lee and immobilising a T34. My opponent had some bad luck in his last movement phase, missing several non platoon movement checks for his remaining armour. Then after getting three squads and a leader adjacent to one of the victory buildings, the leader went berserk and took all the squads with him and they were unable to advance in for CC.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Then after getting three squads and a leader adjacent to one of the victory buildings, the leader went berserk and took all the squads with him and they were unable to advance in for CC.
It seems you were lucky that the Leader did not succeed in taking your opponent into Berserk status as well...
Too close for comfort, I reckon. ;)

von Marwitz

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@ppalma3010 and I played the two Singling scenarios, and split them. My Americans lost SG1: Abram's Charge, and won SG2: Fitzgerald's Fire.

I think we were both pretty meh about the scenarios. In the first, I was too cautious entering the map--trying to keep my infantry riders from the hazards of bailing out, I just ended up getting them torn apart by German OBA. You don't have much infantry to start with, and when half of them are rallying at the bottom of the hill at any given time, it's tough to make forward progress, even with 15 tanks. And three panthers and a 76L AT gun later, you probably won't have 15 tanks. Might be a more interesting scenario if I had played better as the Amis.

I won Fitzgerald's Fire by virtue of excellent die rolling. I liked it much better of the two scenarios, but that might just be because I rolled a 4 on every DR.

Orphan76

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llUnited States
U8 Weissenhof Crossroads
Played my first game using VASL and Skype. Defended and won with the Americans. Took MMG's off of the Jeeps and used them to defend the southern edge of board allowing rest of force to concentrate on the middle as north has too much open ground for Germans to cross. My 6 HIP BAZOOKAS took only 1 shot during the whole game burning a SIG38(t)M. Germans did not get much from the 2x SIG38's or the FT and the Americans did not break every morale check like they usually do for me. In real life a friend's father was captured by the German during this battle.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Played O10 City On The Edge (before you ask - from MMP's 'Special Ops 5') last week taking up the tradition again after pausing for a year or so to try my luck against David Wallace from Down Under, who is a nice guy and can be called one of my ASL mentors when I took up VASL around 10 years ago.

I told him my win-loss record is looking to bright this year and he should give me a beating to set things right.
Which he promptly did...

A short AAR can be found here.

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I recently played ASL11 Defiance on Hill 30, a pretty old scenario that, I believe, I had failed to play even back then when there were so few rules-light scenarios available (it has light mortars and BAZ, but no vehicles or heavier Guns). My opponent was a local student who's quickly moving into the system (we played a couple of SK games and he's already reading the full rules - gotta encourage that!). Still, we played on VASL, even though he's probably living less than 5 miles away (might also avoid some awkwardness, as he's a student in the maths department where my wife does her teaching).

A small (4.5 squads) US Para force tries to hold a very small village at the foot of a hill, against a much larger German force (12 squads), and has to hold them at bay long enough for the cavalry (in the guise of 5 more 747 with a good leader and more SW) to arrive and reinforce them.

I was the defending US Paratroops, and naturally setup my heavier weapons on the hill (MMG and 60mm Mortar), in foxholes, with the rest under camouflage around the small hamlet that's the German target.

Being still somewhat green, my opponent tried a half-cautious, half-bold approach, sometimes moving in stacks behind cover (or not; long range is not a proper defense when you have a MG with a -1 leader to direct it), sometimes moving small targets to the sides. With the help of a few nice shots by the mortar (and a well-placed shot by the US Sniper who nailed a German leader as he was trying to come and rally broken troops), the result was a significant number of German losses way before they reached the village, and that was with almost all US dummies and concealments still in place. The US MMG broke down just as German berserkers were climbing the hill to reach the HS manning it, but the 'zerkers still died when trying to overwhelm the foxhole. In the end the village was held with minimal losses.

Overall this was a rather one-sided fight, but I guess my opponent learned a few valuable lessons:
  • don't stack
  • beware 60mm mortars when you are using woods as cover
  • spread out when attacking against smaller numbers across bad cover
  • don't stack
The scenario shows its age (2 full boards and 9 full turns, with lots of "approaching" time; today it would probably be 2 half boards and 6 turns max), but as a learning game it's not bad.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played DB156 To the Neman, which my opponent had suggested out of the latest Dispatches from the Bunker. This scenario is so hot off the presses that it isn't even in ROAR yet!

A nice, quick, simple scenario, set in the beginning of Barbarossa. 6 German squads and an AT gun defend a half-board village from 12 Russian squads and three armored cars. The Russians have 5.5 turns to capture the four stone buildings in the village; the Germans are reinforced by a pair of armored cars of their own on Turn 3.

The village is roughly circular, divided by roads into three sectors, one from about 12:00 to 3:00, one from about 3:00 to 9:00, and one from 9:00 to 12:00. The Russians attack from the 3:00 side.

My plan was to commit most of my forces to a Turn 1 human wave against the three German stacks in the 12-3 sector. I had various post-facto rationalizations about how this would engage the Germans in CC, thus protecting my thin-skinned armored cars, and how the extra MF would buy me a turn of prep-firing that would be useful later on, but let's be honest: I mostly just wanted to launch a human wave.

The rest of my infantry would make it into the 3-9 sector, aided by Vehicle Bypass Freeze. The two pincers would then have two turns to converge on the 9-12 sector, hopefully aided by VBM freezing again, before the German AFVs appear.

The plan went quite well: about half of the human wavers broke, but some Russians made it into all the German hexes in this sector, and the hex that had 2 467s and an LMG rolled boxcars on their required FPF shot at the entering human wave squads. All of a sudden, half of the German infantry were prisoners, and the newfound ability of the Russians to deploy wasn't making things any easier on the defenders. The German gun managed to kill my lead AFV, but burned it, which allowed the other two to slink off to safety, and infantry swarmed the gun the following turn.

In general, the German defenders just could not buy a roll: they had plenty of good shots, 8-1's, 16+1's, 20+3's, and just couldn't manage anything less than a 10. The only thing that kept the Germans in the game were the heroics of the last squad in sector 3-9, which just would not go down, surviving a whole series of 2:1/3:1/4:1 close combat attacks. This bought Jerry time for his own armored cars to come on, but by that point they were limited to blasting melee hexes and hoping that their own squads managed to duck in time. They weren't able to get lucky, though, and my Russians ended up with the victory.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I recently played ASL11 Defiance on Hill ...
The scenario shows its age (2 full boards and 9 full turns, with lots of "approaching" time; today it would probably be 2 half boards and 6 turns max), but as a learning game it's not bad.
A modern update version was made about 6 years before MMP re-released it in Yanks 2nd edition, with their rather poorly updated version.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played DB156 To the Neman, which my opponent had suggested out of the latest Dispatches from the Bunker. This scenario is so hot off the presses that it isn't even in ROAR yet!

A nice, quick, simple scenario, set in the beginning of Barbarossa. 6 German squads and an AT gun defend a half-board village from 12 Russian squads and three armored cars. The Russians have 5.5 turns to capture the four stone buildings in the village; the Germans are reinforced by a pair of armored cars of their own on Turn 3.

The village is roughly circular, divided by roads into three sectors, one from about 12:00 to 3:00, one from about 3:00 to 9:00, and one from 9:00 to 12:00. The Russians attack from the 3:00 side.

My plan was to commit most of my forces to a Turn 1 human wave against the three German stacks in the 12-3 sector. I had various post-facto rationalizations about how this would engage the Germans in CC, thus protecting my thin-skinned armored cars, and how the extra MF would buy me a turn of prep-firing that would be useful later on, but let's be honest: I mostly just wanted to launch a human wave.

The rest of my infantry would make it into the 3-9 sector, aided by Vehicle Bypass Freeze. The two pincers would then have two turns to converge on the 9-12 sector, hopefully aided by VBM freezing again, before the German AFVs appear.

The plan went quite well: about half of the human wavers broke, but some Russians made it into all the German hexes in this sector, and the hex that had 2 467s and an LMG rolled boxcars on their required FPF shot at the entering human wave squads. All of a sudden, half of the German infantry were prisoners, and the newfound ability of the Russians to deploy wasn't making things any easier on the defenders. The German gun managed to kill my lead AFV, but burned it, which allowed the other two to slink off to safety, and infantry swarmed the gun the following turn.

In general, the German defenders just could not buy a roll: they had plenty of good shots, 8-1's, 16+1's, 20+3's, and just couldn't manage anything less than a 10. The only thing that kept the Germans in the game were the heroics of the last squad in sector 3-9, which just would not go down, surviving a whole series of 2:1/3:1/4:1 close combat attacks. This bought Jerry time for his own armored cars to come on, but by that point they were limited to blasting melee hexes and hoping that their own squads managed to duck in time. They weren't able to get lucky, though, and my Russians ended up with the victory.
I sent this into ROAR for addition. Hopefully these 4 new ones will go up over the weekend.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played the Closer, a German vs Canadian scenario from the latest Action Pack. I like how the scenario simulates the desperate dash of Germans and the no less desperate of the Canadians to keep the ring sealed. The new map 12a/b provides a refreshing mixed urban-rural battleground. For such a small scenario, a lot of thinking/planning to do for both sides. The Firefly is the cornerstone of the defense and much depends on his performance. Just play it and see for yourselves.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I played my first round of the Sioux City Street Fighting tournament. I had the German defenders in HF3 FIRST TIMERS against Rich Domovic. The Americans had good WP and Smoke. More importantly, CC went their way more often than not and way quicker than I needed. Game was over after three turns. I also helped their cause by missing LOS twice that I should have seen, leading to German units not being where they needed to be.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played DB156 To the Neman from the latest Dispatches. Board 70, quick and simple scenario to fill a couple of hours. I was not convinced about the benefits of a HW on T1, or rather i was not convinced on the HW benefits until i saw the German setup, which offered opportunities for one limited to the minimum in order to overwhelm pickets. It achieved its limited goals. Once safely in the closest row of buildings, it was then only a matter of firing right across the street. The German ATG fired six times but couldn't achieve more than a PIN result. My fire was more successful as the German side couldn't pass a MC, which was fatal as the German can't defend in depth and lost heart on turn 3. The German side may need some help for this one. Starting by the removal of the Soviet ATR, which did not exist at the time.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played DB157 Morning Massacre from the latest Dispatches. A mixed force of German infantry supported by five PzIVs must root out the Americans from a village and more precisely from three multi-hex buildings. Relief is coming at mid-game in the form of 6 American AFVs but it is not easy to survive until then, as the US force is kinda ambushed and can be defeated piecemeal. In particular a forward group of HS has to take a NMC at game start. In the game, three HS broke and the 7-0 pinned following the pre-game NMC. Weakened, the poor fellows from this group did not have a chance and were quickly overwhelmed without a single German casualty. Then the attack proceeded towards the VC buildings and on a NMC the US 9-2 pinned while its squad broke. That gave the signal and soon the attackers were crossing the street with all available resources to storm the three-hex building. In a sharp firefight the rest of the US force was routed at the cost of two PzIVs. All what's left included two broken US HS so the opponent conceded just before the reinforcements arrived. The relatively weak rolls for the pre-game NMCs and the early 9-2 fail marred the defender's chances. The scenario has potential and would certainly deserve a second try.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Played DB157 Morning Massacre from the latest Dispatches. A mixed force of German infantry supported by five PzIVs must root out the Americans from a village and more precisely from three multi-hex buildings. Relief is coming at mid-game in the form of 6 American AFVs but it is not easy to survive until then, as the US force is kinda ambushed and can be defeated piecemeal. In particular a forward group of HS has to take a NMC at game start. In the game, three HS broke and the 7-0 pinned following the pre-game NMC. Weakened, the poor fellows from this group did not have a chance and were quickly overwhelmed without a single German casualty. Then the attack proceeded towards the VC buildings and on a NMC the US 9-2 pinned while its squad broke. That gave the signal and soon the attackers were crossing the street with all available resources to storm the three-hex building. In a sharp firefight the rest of the US force was routed at the cost of two PzIVs. All what's left included two broken US HS so the opponent conceded just before the reinforcements arrived. The relatively weak rolls for the pre-game NMCs and the early 9-2 fail marred the defender's chances. The scenario has potential and would certainly deserve a second try.
I watched Steve Pleva and Carl Noguiera play this during vASLOK and it seemed to me basically a similar story in their game.

von Marwitz

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I watched Steve Pleva and Carl Noguiera play this during vASLOK and it seemed to me basically a similar story in their game.

von Marwitz
Steve and I played this? Don't mess with my old man syndrome like this. STEVE AND I PLAYED THIS????