So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played Bridge of the Seven Planets, a scenario from the original Croix de Guerre. It's a chore to place all the overlays on map for this one but players are rewarded by a rather interesting map layout. The defender setup is nice to prepare as the French OB is split by the river which creates challenges of its own. Many things can go wrong on either side, in particular the German OBA which is important to secure the bridge crossing. While things were turning sour for the the French defenders and Germans were about to cross the bridge in force to finish off the defender, the last French asset, a hidden 155mm Gun opened fire to blast an adventurous PzII and place a meaty 12 residual, blocking the access to the bridge and offering to the defenders a decisive one-turn respite. They eventually managed to cross, but not with enough strength to capture the VC building. A pleasant scenario.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
187 Morgan's Stand. October Paddington Bearz - First face to face game at Bearz since March. Had the Germans in this. My forces entered in reverse order (ie Group 4 through one) so I felt a little restricted by a lack of infantry in the first couple of turns. My cause was helped by Simon disabling the M10's MA on its first shot and then a LOS that we both missed allowed the Brummbar to light up the Sherman on turn 2. US reinforcements entered on turn 3 but while the infantry got across the bridge it collapsed under the weight of the M8 HMC - so the US vehicles were never a big factor in the game. German vehicles didn't fair much better I malféd the MA's on the StuG, PZ IV, and the SPW (admittedly the last two came late in the game and had little bearing on the outcome). While I repaired the MA on the Stug it was stunned by infantry fire and then recalled by the Sniper. Speaking of which that US SAN of 5 was painful, at one stage Simon had four "1s" out of five sniper checks.

Morgan made his stand in the Z7 building and made quite a fight of it even managing to go heroic and battle harden to a 9-2, Eventually German numbers told however and on turn 6 I was finally managed to make a morale check stick and he was KIA'ed on the wound roll - with that and having only one surrounded squad left on board 10 Simon conceded.

Was great to see some familiar faces again, enjoy a few pale ales and a quite good BBQ pork belly, rice and boc choy at lunch.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played another scenario from the recent Croix de Guerre module, The French Perimeter. It's very vanilla, with the age-old maps 1 and 3, but that was adequate given that we re-started FtF after a hiatus. It's an old-style scenario with no less than 10.5 turns. The length is probably needed as the German player needs to be fairly cautious in his attack as he is outgunned, although he has higher morale, leadership and numbers. With his big guns, the French has to devise traps on which the German player would fall and hopefully incur some losses to blunt the German schwerpunkt. French HMG broke early, which provided considerable relief for the initial German approach. The French Light ATG re-positioned so i saw an opportunity and OVR it with one PzIV. That was optimistic as the PzIV was destroyed. Even though the tank was destroyed, the ensuing OVR at half FP killed the French crew. A rare case of mutual annihilation. The French tanks arrived in time to block further exploitation but eventually they were dispatched in CC as there was not enough infantry to support them. German victory. Not a demanding scenario in terms of rules and tactics, but it was what we needed for our rusty minds.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
HC2 Bailey's Demise. Some aggressive searching by the Marine Raiders revealed a brick wall up-front defense (and caused plenty of search casualties). That combined with snakes on a mortar IFT roll and subsequent yahtzee on the KIA result, plus some gritty HtH CC meant I was down 4 squads and a leader by the end of the first game turn, plus a bunch of brokies. Skulking and skillful positional play by my opponent meant I was never able to bring my weight of fire to bear. I eventually managed to dislodge a 4-4-8 defending the approach to the bridge along the eastern river bank, with snakes in CC (is there any better time to roll them?) and infiltrating forwards, and I was able to send the bulk of my remaining units in this direction. Bailey managed to position himself nicely with a squad and MMG intending to sweep the jungle ringing the open ground around the bridge free of defenders, but true to the name of the scenario, he instead succumbed to an ambush. That left 7 VP worth of units, including my last remaining leader, to run the gauntlet of MG, mortar and small arms fire to get 6 VP over the bridge. Some lucky smoke grenade placement wasn't enough, only a half-squad got across, the rest were pinned, broken or vapourised only metres from their objective.

I absolutely loved this scenario, my first real foray into playing against Japanese in jungle (albeit light jungle here), and what a hoot it is. Time to get serious with some dense jungle, perhaps even at night. Any recommendations for the next one?

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BR7 Gavin Counterattack

Al Salzman and I played this offering from Advancing Fire (AF) two weeks ago, just now getting around to putting up an AAR. It was a fun and tense scenario. I absolutely love the AF HASL maps and it was joy to play on them. The scenario was fun and Al would go on to a well earned victory a turn before the end. We chose to keep slopes slopes and ignore the hillock rules. Neither of us felt confident enough in tackling this not well defined AAR, nor trying to comprehend how it played out across the the rest of the terrain. I am certain it helps the German greatly to have Hillocks in effect, allowing better firing positions for the Marder. We had fun so a fun and successful day was had by by all. Hopefully, I will have a chance to play more of the Biazza Ridge scenarios in the future.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HC2 Bailey's Demise. Some aggressive searching by the Marine Raiders revealed a brick wall up-front defense (and caused plenty of search casualties). That combined with snakes on a mortar IFT roll and subsequent yahtzee on the KIA result, plus some gritty HtH CC meant I was down 4 squads and a leader by the end of the first game turn, plus a bunch of brokies. Skulking and skillful positional play by my opponent meant I was never able to bring my weight of fire to bear. I eventually managed to dislodge a 4-4-8 defending the approach to the bridge along the eastern river bank, with snakes in CC (is there any better time to roll them?) and infiltrating forwards, and I was able to send the bulk of my remaining units in this direction. Bailey managed to position himself nicely with a squad and MMG intending to sweep the jungle ringing the open ground around the bridge free of defenders, but true to the name of the scenario, he instead succumbed to an ambush. That left 7 VP worth of units, including my last remaining leader, to run the gauntlet of MG, mortar and small arms fire to get 6 VP over the bridge. Some lucky smoke grenade placement wasn't enough, only a half-squad got across, the rest were pinned, broken or vapourised only metres from their objective.

I absolutely loved this scenario, my first real foray into playing against Japanese in jungle (albeit light jungle here), and what a hoot it is. Time to get serious with some dense jungle, perhaps even at night. Any recommendations for the next one?
Should try HC1 First Mananikau as Curtis Brooks & I thought this was the finest of that pack and had a blast with it. Also, HC3 Samurai Sunset is a hoot. HC3 would seem to be fairly one sided if you take a quick look at ROAR but there are only a VERY FEW recorded playings of this listed and I believe a very distorted view of the potential for this scenario. I actually rated Samurai Sunset higher for fun (especially) and potential balance of play than any of the other scenarios in this pack. JMHO of course.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
GD10 Apple Sauce

Completed GD10 from LCPs GD Pack II this afternoon with Mr Honus.

A German elite force with 15 x 468 and 3 x 548 AE, 6 SMC (9-2, 2 x 9-1, 2 x 8-1, 8-0) 5 LMG, 3 MMG, 2 FT, 5 DC, Radio (100+ OBA HE Smoke) and 4 StuG IIIG (ELR: 4; SAN: 2) is attacking a semi-prepared Red Army defence in Jul 42. This also receives Stuka support (2 x 42 DB) and on turn 5 three Pz IVF1 and two Pz IV F2. The Germans have 8 turns to cross board 60 and clear most of the building (20 or 27) on board 48.

The Red Army has a dozen 447s a 9-1, 8-0, 2 HMG, 2 LMG, a 50* Mor and an ATR. Backing the infantry are a 37L AA Gun and two 76L Art along with six Trenches, three fortified building locations and three 1+3+5 pillboxes. The Red Army sends in five T34 M41s on turn 3 and three more on turn 5.

Without getting into the grim details the VASL dicebot was certainly not my friend in this scenario, as the table below shows. Repeated hits against German armour from ten 76L guns failed to produce more than one StuG killed and one Pz IVF1 immobilised and abandoned. The only good news was that it did take the Germans until turn 8 to take the required buildings but losses were extremely light. The lack of stone buildings for fortifying and the extremely heavy German firepower from stacked machineguns, artillery smoke and Stukas made the battle one of simply throwing sacrificial bodies in front of the Germans. Nevertheless, the Fortified wooden buildings could not stand up to a 9-2 and multiple MGs even with the 8-0 exchanged for a 9-0 Commissar

German losses amounted to the one tank noted above and 3.5 squads and an 8-1 versus approx 8 Red Army 447/426s, both guns and six of the eight tanks by the time the 20th building was taken (auto win for Germans).

View attachment 1489315190

Last edited:

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BR7 Gavin Counterattack

Al Salzman and I played this offering from Advancing Fire (AF) two weeks ago, just now getting around to putting up an AAR. It was a fun and tense scenario. I absolutely love the AF HASL maps and it was joy to play on them. The scenario was fun and Al would go on to a well earned victory a turn before the end. We chose to keep slopes slopes and ignore the hillock rules. Neither of us felt confident enough in tackling this not well defined AAR, nor trying to comprehend how it played out across the the rest of the terrain. I am certain it helps the German greatly to have Hillocks in effect, allowing better firing positions for the Marder. We had fun so a fun and successful day was had by by all. Hopefully, I will have a chance to play more of the Biazza Ridge scenarios in the future.
Interested in this scenario, any recall of play time (5 hours+)? and which side Germans or American won? Thanks--

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Randy Rossi and I played DN7 SAINT-MÉDARD AFTER DARK in round one of the vASLOK Night mini. Randy wished to play this because it was the only one of the choices he had not played. I received the German attackers by dice. This was quite the CC Festival. We had at least one CC every player turn and a couple pre-game. The Germans won after four of five turns.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In the second round of of the night mini, I played the Italian defenders in DTF1 KEREN MASALA. Chris Doary had the British attackers. There are a few unusual things for this scenario. It uses two boards from the Korea module. It is a night scenario without starshells. British Majority Squad Type is Lax, so there was a LOT of straying. Italians receive reinforcements that also use cloaking. The scenario has six turns, but the night rules apply for the first four. I conceded in the fifth Italian turn.

In the first round of the Rain mini, I played against John Lehman of California. We chose the scenario NTX03 THE SCUGNIZZI GANG. 7.5 German squads with a SPW 251/9 and a M13/40 are trying to leave Italy in September of 1943. Some Italian soldiers and partisans (with MOL) are trying to stop them. The Germans need to exit 12 VP and have 6 CVP more than their enemy. I was very close to winning, but an LMG shot at the halftrack in the exit hex burned it to deny me a victory.

Orphan76

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llUnited States
HF2 Bertoldo the Brave

Played the Americans and started with all of my units onboard and west of the A12 - P11 road, I did not see any advantage to the SSR that allows bringing units on from the West edge in the later turns. Took FFMO/FNAM shots early in an attempt to make the Germans more cautious and then gradually fell back towards the J21 area. Got nothing from the Mortars due to all of the orchards, one critical hit which resulted in 2 pins, but was still in a position to win until turn 6 when I rolled back to back boxcars on the HMG and a TD followed up by back to back 6's when I tried to repair them. Germans then easily took the last buildings needed on the final turn. Was a a fun game and I would play it again.

Orphan76

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llUnited States
HF4 Lieher Launches First

Had the Americans again. My setup was based on avoiding being flanked as I felt that the American setup restrictions allow them to be quickly bypassed along the north side (German AFV can setup in MOTION) without the Americans getting to fire on the German forces. Again got nothing from the American mortars and my only joy was that one of the HIP TD got a side shot at a Panther and took it out. TD's and Bazookas hit the 2nd Panther multiple times but the Germans never gave me a side shot on it and the American weapons could not do anything against its frontal armor. I had placed rubble in hopes of slowing down the German advance west of "the Fort" but they caused more problems for my movement than the Germans since the Germans did not move along the J16 to J30 road. The Germans had a PzIVJ positioned to look down the road which caused problems moving my forces from south to north. Americans surrendered at the end of turn 5 as there were only 3 DM'd American squads and a single TD (setup Immobilized on south side and avoided by Germans once discovered) left onboard. The quality of the German troops and superior firepower (8 SW's) easily carried the day in this one. If I was going to replay as the Americans I would deploy for a quicker retreat to the victory locations.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom and I got two in today

BoF19 Bite of the Bassotto Tom and I really enjoyed this scenario. I think it's a bit tough on the Germans but it came down the final turn and my Germans failed in their bid to retake one last building. Cowering cost me early on and the German can ill afford to give the NZ player any additional freedom of movement.

J189 Buckley's Block Round two found Tom with the Japs attack my Marines. First time I am aware I played the Marines, seems I'm always the Japanese. This also went to the last turn, and the Marines did a great job withdrawing. However, no canister spelled and early end for the ATG and from turn 4 on I failed every NMC and 1MC I was required to make. Tom mass banzied to make up some ground and with only 1.5 squads left I threw in the towel with no chance of denying him the CVP/exit VP to win. A good scenario and think pretty even for both sides as is. Also, rain ended on the first WC DR and never returned.

As always a ton of fun and great play with a great opponent.

Orphan76

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llUnited States
WO31 Ma Deuce Delivers

Had the Germans. What is not to like? 3x King Tigers and 14 squads to the Americans 7. American setup heavy in the North around the Stone Buildings, there is nowhere to Rout in the North and lots of OG, so I came in on the South even thou it was going to take longer to get to the victory buildings. Lost the best German leader to a sniper (stacked with 3 squads, thank you random selection) and one of the M51 quad MG's broke several squads with its IFE of 24 at long range delaying the Infantry from being in a position to attack from the south until turn 4 (of 6). The second M51 was later found protecting the northern victory buildings. The American TD's can come on anywhere from the road in the north to the road in the south and along with the 2 BAZ44 it was difficult keeping the KT's from exposing their rears. After losing 2 KT's (they are really slow) and having lots of broken Infantry onboard the Germans surrendered during turn 5. Do not think I would try this one again but if I did I would try to bulldoze my way through the American setup in the North. Worst case the game would be over quick and you could play something else.