So what scenarios have you played Recently?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Invasion- Ongjin (Right) KW1.2 Opening day of the Korean war, NKPA trying to exit tanks around a big hill. I had to set up my ROKs along the board as the NKPA can enter anywhere on the north edge. The NKs have to keep moving, and I was consistently able to hurt his infantry. The T-34s- not so much. The HB heroes got shot down as soon as they moved. My guys got mauled by the return fire from both the tanks and NK infantry. The humble 60mm MTR won the day, Immo'ing one tank and Shocking, UK, and killing another. In the last turn, the 57mm RCL was able to finally immo a T-34, after one had already exited.
Fun and close.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Bruno and I played 209 A LINE TOO THINLY HELD. I had the American defenders. I tried to hunker my main force in a reverse slope defence. This takes the NK OBA and AA weapons out of the battle, but doesn't allow the Americans to fail too many MC. The left flank force tried to join the main force, but only the 4 AFV made it there. The NVR of 6 means the NK MG can take shots at the meat-choppers from a distance while cannon fodder keeps the bullets away from the NK MG. For the first time in a night scenario I had a squad become a casualty when it strayed into enemy lines. My defence held for awhile. The first wave of NK suffered, but the second wave fared better. On NK4, one of the meat-choppers broke its MA. I lost a Pershing to CC, but an American squad in CC won its CC. The aforementioned halftrack was immobilized and then became a burning wreck in CC of NK5. One squad is in Melee that will continue to the end. On NK6, an MG shot burns the second meat-chopper. During A6, the NK MG break a squad and a half that I had just rallied and were supposed to come back to the hill. During the CC of A6, the last American squad on the hill dies in CC to give the NK their immediate win.

I hope to hear of someone trying a hilltop defence in this scenario to see if it fares better.

View attachment 14395
This is actually a scenario that would allow you an attempt to pull off the follwing:

You could jump from an upper building level location across a cliff hexside into a water obstacle.
Provided you pass the required MC, you might make it into 8V5. See E6.1. Yep, it's in dem rulz.

von Marwitz

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brevity Assault: CG II (Halfaya-Sollum Sector), Operational Turn 1, Scenario 1

Tom and I chose CG II because it is the shrotest and because it uses the beautiful maps included with the pack. We began Operational turn 1 yesterday. We each set up according to the CG given set up instructions. Tom's forces all began in either Staging area C or D, and mine spread out across the Main Locations (MLOC) in the sector . Each Operational Turn begins with what I've dubbed the Initiative DR. It determines not only which side moves first, but how many actions they have. The British have an advantage and Tom went first with 3 Actions. His first Action was to attack from Staging Area D along the Coastal Road with HQ, B, C Companies and carriers from 2/The Rifle Brigade to attack Italian positions at Halfaya North with 3/31 Field Regiment, Royal Artillery supporting from Staging Area D. (This was an error since C Company and the Arty isn't available to him until Operational Turn 2 and Operational Turn 3). His second action was to attack Halfaya South from Staging Area C, for this attack he selected HQ, F, and G Companies 2nd Bn, Scots Guard support by C Squadron 4th Royal Tank Regiment (RTR) with Elements of the 31st Field Regiment, Royal Artillery in support. This attack is in line with the rules as we currently understand them. His final Operational move was to move LF Company 2nd Scots Guards, supported by elements of C Squadron 4th RTR and a platoon of carriers to a point just south of Qalala.

For my turn I had only 1 action, so I moved my turn 1 reinforcements a platoon of Armored cards from 3 company Aufkl Abt 5th light division forward to Qalala hoping I can figure a way of delaying his forces a turn there.

So ended the MPh of Operational Turn 1.

The Combat Phase began with another dr to determine which combat will occur first. I won and chose the battle for Halfaya North since it was the smallest and we had a good chance of finishing it in one afternoon. I am certain there is some strategy which goes into choosing which fight occurs first, but hell if I know what it is, yet!

The Italians have very little here Elements of 7th Company, XII Bn, 8th Regiment Bersaglieri supported by C.c. 7th Company, XII Bn, 8th Regiment Bersaglieri reinforced. Additionally, the rules give the Italian some foxholes, sangars and trenches along with some ? counters and HIP.

I had a choice of 1 of 2 set up areas on the beautiful Halfaya map. I choose to defend the large spur and set up. One thing that really isn't clear to me are the VC for each scenario. As near as we can figure it, a scenario doesn't really end until one side or the other is eliminated, withdraws (rules for that) or simply cries uncle.

Tom's forces entered dismounted, and began there approach march staying out of effective range of any of the Italian weapons. Some of the infantry worked its way down the easterly side of the map board finding succor from my height advantage behind the smaller spurs, some moved right down the middle, and the carrier platoon attempted to drive around the Italian left. Tom was supported well by his 2in mtr's which provided good smoke.

For my part I stayed low and quiet not risky long range MG or AT shots which would break my ? or HIP and give is OBA (which he shouldn't have had) easy targets. Tom struggled with his radio contact DR's until finally loosing it in the middle turns. It did give him one module of 80mm which was relatively ineffective. Tom also exercised the Infantryman's Eye in staying close to ridge lines and spurs to create blindhexes to limit my fire opportunities. Get familiar with rules section A6.4-5 before playing on these maps and pick-up one of the play-aids available to assist.

The flanking carriers soon ran into effective range and covered arc of one of the Italian Cannone 47/32 which quickly dispatched one but couldn't find enough ROF to kill another before they ducked behind the western spur where they've cowered ever since. Tom's infantry attack came next over the spurs toward the Italian position taking out the first outpost and cowering in the draw when all of a sudden the scenario ended.

Final Thoughts

I am not a fan of operational level games, I have had some experience with the Federation Empire / SFB tie in and really didn't care for it either but Tom and I have both been hankering for some DTO and this is new and worth a try. So far, I'm on the bubble.

Operational Pro's: This was obviously a labor of love for the designers and they've done a wonderful job, Complementi! I really love the maps and hope to play on them a lot, I found translating from the Operational Game to the ASL Scenario easy, and the Operational and ASL counters provided easy to read, though I didn't like the gloss and found them difficult to cut from the sprue. Overall this is an excellent product, I feel it was worth the cost, and has so far proved enjoyable to play.

Operational Con's: I found the organization of the Operational rules cumbersome and difficult to reference. I feel the best way to fix this would be a highly detailed Sequence of Play to support the Operational game very valuable. The one provided on the back is a good start but lacks detail for something as new as this. I also feel a complete example of play for a full Operational turn, perhaps a download or You Tube video would be a big help.

ASL Scenario Pro's: Same as the Operational Pro's really.
ASL Scenario Con's: Two gripes here. 1st - I understand why the prime movers for infantry and guns are recalled once their passengers have dismounted or if they start on board are subject to the same rule. However, in a game where withdrawing is going to play a major part in many of the scenarios, the defender should have the option to bring his prime movers forward, as reinforcements, to attempt to recover and withdraw is troops and hardware. 2nd - Unless there is a rule we're missing, why roll for scenario end, then return and finish it after playing another scenario? Besides being a butt pain what purpose is there in that? Just state the scenario continues until one side cries uncle, withdraws or is eliminated.

Two last comments:
1 - There is an awful lot of record keeping that goes with these campaigns so developing operational trackers for each units fuel, ammo, personnel and equipment is a requirement.

2 -Where are the mines?

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
This is actually a scenario that would allow you an attempt to pull off the follwing:

You could jump from an upper building level location across a cliff hexside into a water obstacle.
Provided you pass the required MC, you might make it into 8V5. See E6.1. Yep, it's in dem rulz.

von Marwitz
That's awesome! Love discovering those kinds of rules.

In the Winter War, the Finns boresighted frozen lakes where they knew the ice was thinnest so as to maximize their precious limited artillery ammo. They waited for tanks to cross, and then fired to break the ice and send the tanks to Davey Jones.
When I read about that I had to check the bible. Yep, you can do it in ASL.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That's awesome! Love discovering those kinds of rules.

In the Winter War, the Finns boresighted frozen lakes where they knew the ice was thinnest so as to maximize their precious limited artillery ammo. They waited for tanks to cross, and then fired to break the ice and send the tanks to Davey Jones.
When I read about that I had to check the bible. Yep, you can do it in ASL.
I once played a Winter scenario in which the Germans had to cross a river vs. defending Russians. There was a single bridge which, naturally, the Russian set up to defend well. The Germans had some halftracks, though. I figured that I might risk one of them to drive across the ice of the frozen river to open an unexpected flank. If the first one would make it, then the ice would also carry the other ones of the same weight.

B21.6 ICE: All Water Obstacles (except an ocean) freeze in sub-zero temperature scenarios. When frozen, Water Obstacle hexes are treated as Open Ground for all purposes. Ice is removed from any hex in which an Original HE attack DR scores a KIA on the IFT or when the ice collapses. Mark such hexes as clear water by the placement of a coin or a Collapsed Ice counter (available in ARMIES OF OBLIVION). The ice may collapse under the weight of any vehicle of ≥ five tons as per the rules for bridge collapse (6.42; treating the Weight Limit for all ice hexes as equal to that of the highest weight sustained thus far by any ice hex), causing the elimination of all units in that hex and all future vehicles ≥ that weight venturing onto the ice. Wire and unhidden mines are the only Fortifications allowed in an ice hex.

B6.42 COLLAPSE: Wooden bridge Locations may collapse under loads > their current weight limit. The first time the total weight of vehicle/wrecks on a wooden bridge (regardless of length) exceeds ten tons, a Bridge Collapse DR must be made. The DR is modified by +1 for every five-ton increment or fraction thereof in excess of the current bridge weight limit. If the Final Bridge Collapse DR is ≥ 12, the entire bridge collapses with the elimination of all counters on and beneath it. Rubble is placed as per 6.331. If the Final Bridge Collapse DR is < 12, the bridge remains intact and its new current weight limit is the current weight just checked. This new weight limit is marked on a side record. The bridge does not have to check for collapse again until this new current weight limit is exceeded.

As the German halftracks weigh less than 10 tons, the DR only had a +1DRM meaning that the ice would carry them on a DR of 10 or less (91.7%). My opponent apparently had not considered this. The ice did carry and I crossed the frozen river in an undefended area unopposed. This move cost me an extra turn or two, but it unhinged his defence and won me the scenario.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently played Curtis Brooks in AP135 FULLER'S FOLLY. In this scenario the Assault-Fire-less American's (but having a Grenade attack possibility=MOL) are attacking a resolute force of FJs ensconced upon a hill (VC area) in bocage country . The Germans though quite outnumbered have good morale troops (8) and able to buy some force multipliers such as mines, wire, tunnels, etc and can even up their SAN. In this confrontation my Germans were simply not able to shoot well nor make morale checks at critical junctures. Even the minefields didn't work as the Americans that ran trough them were attacked with DRs of 10 or 11, nary a PIN even. All told the DRs were not one sided but his sniper had 3 hot strikes taking out critical units at critical times. By turn 5 he was in a position to just overwhelm me on the hilltop for the victory having taken out both 81mm Mtrs and all but one of my leaders. I gave up the ghost then and conceded. I recommend this scenario but still thinks its a bit pro-German despite the result of my loss.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Recently played Curtis Brooks in AP135 FULLER'S FOLLY. In this scenario the Assault-Fire-less American's (but having a Grenade attack possibility=MOL) are attacking a resolute force of FJs ensconced upon a hill (VC area) in bocage country . The Germans though quite outnumbered have good morale troops (8) and able to buy some force multipliers such as mines, wire, tunnels, etc and can even up their SAN. In this confrontation my Germans were simply not able to shoot well nor make morale checks at critical junctures. Even the minefields didn't work as the Americans that ran trough them were attacked with DRs of 10 or 11, nary a PIN even. All told the DRs were not one sided but his sniper had 3 hot strikes taking out critical units at critical times. By turn 5 he was in a position to just overwhelm me on the hilltop for the victory having taken out both 81mm Mtrs and all but one of my leaders. I gave up the ghost then and conceded. I recommend this scenario but still thinks its a bit pro-German despite the result of my loss.
I think it is a fun scenario as there are a lot of ways to attack and defend. I also would rather play the Germans. Americans can't dual at long range whereas the Germans certainly can which means you got to close quickly. That makes it obvious that the Americans will not try going to the left side.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finished a VASL game with fellow Twin Cities ASL crew member, Geoff Wessendorf, where we slugged it out with A25 Cold Crocodiles. This has been on my playlist forever, but whenever I suggested it, my opponent had already played it. It certainly lived up to its fine reputation.

I had the defending Germans and Geoff the Brits. As many probably have done, I executed a slow fighting withdrawal from the board 24 village. On board 23 I planned, and was able to scramble a squad on the other side of the canal where in the end, it nabbed all four VC buildings. Geoff steadily pressed his attack laying down some WP and HE on board 23 making some movement difficult.

There were a couple of key moments in the battle: The German reinforced a melee of the Brit 10-2, 458 vs. a 238 that just CRed in the CC with a 9-2, 548. I needed an <=8 and Geoff a <=6 for any effect. Luckily the dice fell in my favor. Another was a Croc looking to turn up the heat in the board 24 village. A 548 rolled for a PF and got it and was able to dispatch it. The Germans had good success against the Brit armor which really helped a lot. Nevertheless, by game end our forces were both really depleted. With a Brit effort to press for more building VPs, a German 228, 238/9-1 was able to sneak back in to the village to take back two buildings. In the top of turn 8, with the VPs in the German's favor, the Brits called off the attack.

A scenario that deserves all of the accolades. Tense every step of the way. A must play for every ASLer. Thanks to Geoff for a very well-played game.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
ESG45 Below the Belt. Perhaps I was a little bit too aggressive when I drove four of my seven puny Belgian tanks right to the frontline, and promptly lost two of them in the first turn. But the other two managed to take out three German tanks already, so it's not a total disaster. Having to look out for MGs and ATRs when driving around in tanks is a nice feature of the early war, and I like the scenario so far.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I finished a VASL game with fellow Twin Cities ASL crew member, Geoff Wessendorf, where we slugged it out with A25 Cold Crocodiles. This has been on my playlist forever, but whenever I suggested it, my opponent had already played it. It certainly lived up to its fine reputation.
A real classic that I have not played for a long time. When it first came out some games saw the 88 in the orchard on a paved road which was an illegal setup. We quickly learned that was a no-go.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ha ha, I remember Louie and Mcgrath playing Cold Crocs years ago and Louie had set up his 88 on a paved road and Mcgrath had him remove the piece from the game.

A real classic that I have not played for a long time. When it first came out some games saw the 88 in the orchard on a paved road which was an illegal setup. We quickly learned that was a no-go.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
ESG45 Below the Belt. Perhaps I was a little bit too aggressive when I drove four of my seven puny Belgian tanks right to the frontline, and promptly lost two of them in the first turn. But the other two managed to take out three German tanks already, so it's not a total disaster. Having to look out for MGs and ATRs when driving around in tanks is a nice feature of the early war, and I like the scenario so far.
Played this couple of weeks back and think it is a little known gem. Interesting OB on both sides and the fact that Belgian has to enter the board and make a viable defense on the fly, German facing problem of dispersed troops and lack of cohesion on otherwise strong force.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Over the past few weeks Mr Honus and I worked our way through four more scenarios from Lone Canuck's GD Pack 1.

GD4 The Road to Lyon - Here 8.5 French squads lead by an 8-1 and 7-0 along with 2 LMG, 1 HMG, a 47L ATG, a SAN of 4 and two Roadblocks must defend a road on two half boards (6 and 10). Again the French have an ELR 2 despite the 25th Divisions being an active division. That said, this may be more acceptable considering the date is Jun 1940, so the division may be at the end of its tether.

The Germans bring along 12 full squads of 468s led by 4 SMC (9-1, 8-1, 8-0, 7-0), 4 LMG, 2 MMG, 3 ATR, 3 50* mtrs, SAN of 2 and a StuG IIIB. The Germans are Elite for ammunition depletion.

The French have the dilemma of how to oppose the attack. With 8 squads they need to prevent a flanking attack as well as deploy in some depth or ignore the flanks and deploy in depth solely along the road and hope to use up the clock. In this case the French went for the middle ground with a small flank guard and defence that spanned most of the two boards. While the Germans were delayed for a bit early in the game they had 7.5 turns to clear the road across both maps and did so with little pause. The French ELR of 2 and weight of German firepower eroded the defenders and less than two French SE made it back to the final defensive position. The light mortars, MMGs and and the StuG III with a very high S# made the infantry assaults rather easy and the game was effectively over by Turn 6.

GD 5 Machorka - The action moves to July 41 in the USSR as the GDs 12 elite squad, 4 SMC, 4 LMG and 2 MMG, supported by a 50L AT guns go head to head against 25 Red Army squads led by a 9-1 and 8-0, 3 LMG and an MMG in the forests of 1/2 of board 32. This is an ELR 4 German unit vs an ELR 2 Red Army mob but was one of the more challenging and entertaining scenarios of the pack. Both sides enter using Cloaking even though it is not night and the battle requires the Germans to rush forward over a stream and then slowly fall back, holding the bridgehead while preventing the Red Army from crossing the same stream and exiting the map.

The Germans need to make the Soviet infantry pay for every inch of ground and trade their own lives dearly if their positions are overrun. In this case the Germans managed to hold a cordon around the small bridgehead while turning back numerous assaults by the Red Army. By turn 5 it became clear the Soviet infantry would not be able to get the needed exit VPs and the scenario was ended.

GD 6 Great Elan - A total of 18 1st Line Red Army infantry squads with 2 SMC, 4 LMG, 2 HMG, an ATR and 7 guns (45L AT, 3 x 76* Inf, 76L Art and 2 x 82* Mtr) are dug in behind 36 AP Mine factors, 6 foxholes, 4 Trenches, 12 wire and a pair of 1+3+5 Pillboxes. The Soviet Infantry has an ELR of 2 and a SAN of 4.

The attacking GD troops have 12 elite rifle squads, 3 x 548 AE squads, 4 SMC, 5 LMG, 2 MMG, 3 ATR, 3 x 50* mtr, 1 FT, 2 DC and supported by three unarmoured HTs mounting 37L AA guns (SdKfz 6/2) with a battery of 80+ OBA (using NOBA access rules). The German must fight across board 4 and take the buildings in the centre of board 17 in 7.5 turns.

On Turn 3 the Germans bring on two 150* Inf guns towed by SdKfz 11s while on Turn 5 the Germans receive five more 548 AE, 2 SMC, an LMG, 2 FT, 2 DC and three StuG IIIB. The entire force is elite for ammo depletion.

The German attack used two converging thrusts aimed at penetrating the Red Army's defence on left-centre of the line and, despite repeated use of smoke from the OBA could not gain any momentum. The Soviet firepower was intense and accurate with the German attackers seldom able to pass a pin check let alone a morale check. The AA hts were forced to hide and snipe at Russian infantry from long range vs "?" targets. Attempts to move closer to support the infantry against Red Army skulkers resulted in one killed ht and a second immobilised and out of position to be of further use. The Infantry guns proved to be almost unusable as they needed to be moved forward so they can be placed in a useful position but their tractors were unarmoured. This resulted on one immobilised tractor struck by long range rifle fire and the second gun hiding in wheatfields.

By the time the 548s and StuGs entered on turn 5 it was clear the German attack was not going anywhere. With only a few Soviet squads killed and just two infantry guns knocked out the Red Army line was intact and the German infantry too depleted for the reinforcements to matter. The German attack did reach the edge of board 17 but got no further as HE and MG fire shredded the attackers at close range. With insufficient time remaining to break the defence and push across one more board the scenario was called after Turn 6.

GD 7 - The One Hundredth - Extreme winter, deep snow, snow drifts, Soviets troops and tanks with winter camouflage versus elite Germans with a good array of AT guns and MGs. A very entertaining scenario once again using board 17.

Most of board 17 is in play in this one a 5.5 German 468s with an 8-1, 8-0, MMG, HMG and three 50L AT guns try to stop ten Red Army 447s with an 8-1, 7-0, 3 LMGs and five T-34 M40s. Both sides have an ELR of 3 with the defender/attacker SANs being 3 and 2 respectively.

The Red Army attack quickly found one of the 50L AT guns which managed to turn two T34s into burning wrecks despite the lack of APCR versus the front turret armour. A third T34 was recalled after its gun disabled. As of Turn 2 it was looking pretty good for the Germans,.. then the gun malf'd on it third shot and things turned sour.

The two surviving T-34s promenaded before both the other two hidden AT guns giving very nice flank shots. Despite these offerings both guns failed to produce APCR and both malfunctioned on their first shot. Both later rolled 6's for repair thus denuding the German defence of any AT ability other than CC.

Speaking of CC.

The main German infantry position was held by the 8-1, three of the 468s and the MMG. These were deployed in the woods on the German left and they were set upon by the main Soviet infantry force. Despite some skulking and a few early broken Soviet squads one 447 managed to get into CC with the MMG/468/8-1 and roll a '2' in CC, creating an 8-0 and breaking the position wide open.

It came down to the 8-0/248/HMG and two other German 468s (one fanatic) to hold the last two building,.... the clock no longer allowing an exit for the win.

When one T34 throws a track just shy of a VBF vs the HMG it became clear the last building could not reached by the Soviet infantry and the scenario was ended.

This was a fun one with ups and down on both sides.

Last edited:

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NTX04- Into the Woods

Fun one, partisans won by a HS on VP. Thought I wouldn't like this one given that civilians are targets, but if you can get them organized into a column it offers some pretty interesting tactical decisions for Medevedev and the boys. Good choices for the RONA as well- the board 42 branch road down to the board 52 clearing presents opportunity to outflank an eastern blocking force, cut route paths for the villagers, sweep down into the 52 woods looking for the base camp, or reinforce the northern assault force. Bringing on Detachment Dimitri as fanatic I thought balanced things out nicely and we enjoyed the SSR regarding horses. One minor gripe about the counter mix involved the presence of a couple of 6-5-8 squads, which we felt over represented the RONA's dubious capability. Even the 4-6-7s seems a bit generous for them, but no big deal it was still a good time. Overall very fun with some nice design characteristics. Bring on the Scugnizzi Boys!

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We recently played two Schwerpunkt scenarios that cover Medal of Honor recipient actions...Stryker's Charge and Thorne in Your Side.

Can't say we were a real fan of the scenarios, because both were very small and both were susceptible to being very dice. Stryker's Charge was decided by 2-4 rolls the entire game. 2 mortar CH on his INF guns, and 2 boxcars on the remaining two when he fired them. That was game.

We might try SP49 - Audie Murphy simply for the fact that Murphy is portrayed as a heroic, 10-3 leader who gets a self -4 heroic DRM if he fires an AAMG from a burning wreck M10, where the smoke DRM doesn't affect him, but incoming fire is hindered by it. That should be worth some laughs just by itself. ?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We recently played two Schwerpunkt scenarios that cover Medal of Honor recipient actions...Stryker's Charge and Thorne in Your Side.

Can't say we were a real fan of the scenarios, because both were very small and both were susceptible to being very dice. Stryker's Charge was decided by 2-4 rolls the entire game. 2 mortar CH on his INF guns, and 2 boxcars on the remaining two when he fired them. That was game.

We might try SP49 - Audie Murphy simply for the fact that Murphy is portrayed as a heroic, 10-3 leader who gets a self -4 heroic DRM if he fires an AAMG from a burning wreck M10, where the smoke DRM doesn't affect him, but incoming fire is hindered by it. That should be worth some laughs just by itself. ?
The Audie Murphy scenario was a hoot, but tough on the Americans.

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
S25 Early Battles

Starter Kits-apparently you don't just buy them for the maps.

This was a fun, straightforward scenario in which so, so many things went wrong for the Soviets- the forward line of troops in the board V woods were overrun without nary a scratch on any of the Aryan supermen, the 75's crew broke quickly, the KV failed to land one hit before its MA disabled on the third shot, and it was immobilized and smoked by a Pz IV, Red army men were breaking and ELR'ing into crap, I mean conscript material left, right, and center, one leader boxcarred a morale check, and a few other Reds also did a good job of solving the German's problem themselves, dying for failure to route or through failed interdiction checks. One squad of brave heroes in the L7 Alamo position even went berserk in the final turn and evaporated into red mist charging another Pz IV. However, they still, amazingly enough, pulled off a win. The one remaining good order squad in the L7 house hunkered down with their mmg and broke four German squads who tried to pressure their position and weathered subsequent defensive hate mail in the last Soviet turn for the win. Amazing, gritty, last ditch stuff on both sides at the end.

Lots of fun, and the absence of snipers made us go for broke every turn, taking crazy, low fire power shots, hoping something would stick and change our fortunes. Not the first SK scenario I've played but along side Sherman Marches West, its been one of the most enjoyable. Looking forward to getting my hands on the two PTO kits.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently played FT214 Grain of Sand against Curtis Brooks on VASL -- me as the defending Germans and he as the Free French (FF). The scenario calls for the FF to either capture all buildings in a 2-hex radius within a small village or exit VP off their left flank board edge. The German needs to account for either option in their set up, but be able to pivot toward the main FF objective.

The FF have about 8 x Shermans and 4 x HTs. The weak link for them however, is the fact they only have ~8 squads. The Germans with the optional OB 548/FT (which I chose) also have eight. If the FF focused on the village I felt I had a chance. If they made a run for the exit VC, that would all come down to KOing AFV especially the HTs as 5 EVP needed to consist of infantry.

The FF attack on the village was methodical, but I was able to maintain fire discipline and preserve my forces. The woods on the German left flank housed a solid force to control the two buildings there. Here I was able to break a few FF squad-equivalents, eventually taking a squad-worth as prisoners. Another was eliminated in CC. Along with some other breaks, the FF needed to get aggressive by moving in tanks up close. One Sherman w/ 8-1 AL was dispatched with a PF and another by an IF from a Pz IV pushing them over the CVP cap.

A solid scenario that rewards good defensive patience. The FF AFV firepower is wicked strong, but the CVP cap adds a perfect balance to prevent the FF simply rolling over the Germans. Plus, I was helped by some cool dice from Curtis. Thanks to Curtis for yet another well played game, as usual.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished off a playing an outstanding game of AP137 Fear Naught against Curtis Brooks (British). My Germans were up against it with two 120mm creeping barrages attempting to clear the route into the board 24 village for 6 Churchills and a plethora of infantry while possessing only a few SS infantry and a couple of Panthers. My combat out post in the Koresh Compound (Bd43) folded quickly as the PSK tm rolled boxcars on his MC and the other 8 morale guys could't make a MC if I had bought one. The panthers on the flanks did a bit better limiting movement of his armor and forcing the infantry to follow their barrages through a central push. By mid game my CVP were starting to rise with some of his infantry down and a couple of Churchills destroyed but then disaster struck. The barrages, almost non-items till now, broke several units in my center and another unit broke taking a desperation PF shot from a building. This was followed by a panther malf'ing his MA on an almost sure shot at another Churchill followed by an infantry run of Brit' troops into the village to grab a couple of VC buildings.

By game end my VC were pretty close to what I needed but Curtis was able to garner enough VC buildings and run away with his tanks to avoid any more large CVP losses to overcome my remaining two Sqd Equiv. in the VC area. A great design by Pete Shelling and well played by Curtis. We had Heavy rain at least twice in the scenario and Gusts twice. Dice were hot throughout by and large with each getting a hero and the Brits generating a Ldr and a BH sqd. High recommendation for a scenario that may put one off at first flush because of the barrages and falling rain.