So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We once tried to design a scenario about the football match played between German and British soldiers at Christmas on the Western Front in 1917.

The playtesters did not like it.
This is a wargaming forum. That will be enough of your peacegames....................FREAK!!!!! ;-)

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
T16 Strayer’s Strays. Not knowing where the Americans would come on, I spread my guys out down the length of board 6. The Americans massed on the eastern side of the board and marched through all the blind hex orchards. I tried to force march my men that were on the western side but there was no way they could make it. I broke a few squads but just didn’t have enough men to stem the tide. If there were a next time, I’d place more of the units towards the middle so they could actually react to whichever area was threatened.

WO15 Liberation Day. Horrible dice for my Germans. OK, I can deal with that, but coupled with great dice from friend and I couldn’t make a game of it. The railway station held firm. The few occasions I hit his men, they either brushed off the MCs or came right back with the commissar easily urging them on. My friend never really pressed the attack there. He just wanted to tie up the guys defending the station. Who knows what would have happened if he actually tried to take it? The village was awful as well. The Russians just pressed forward and swarmed my men. I placed most of my squads over there but I think I spread them out too far. I probably should have made building Z6 more of the focal point of the defense and put less guys in some of the outlying areas. Still, my defense was sound with units supporting each other. Even so, you have to actually roll low enough to hit something or the opponent has to break when you do. Neither happened. The Russians even moved or advanced in the open and I still couldn't do anything to them. Normal MCs for me usually caused ELR breaks. I hung it up when the game on the village side was well in the Russian’s hands and my friend inexplicably marched the 10-0 commissar and three partisans right onto the railroad tracks (maybe he knew I was cursed). I overran them with a tank and promptly rolled a 12. No PMC break for me; I just shook my head and said, “Game.” Some games are like that...

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
WO15 Liberation Day. Horrible dice for my Germans. OK, I can deal with that, but coupled with great dice from friend and I couldn’t make a game of it. The railway station held firm. The few occasions I hit his men, they either brushed off the MCs or came right back with the commissar easily urging them on. My friend never really pressed the attack there. He just wanted to tie up the guys defending the station. Who knows what would have happened if he actually tried to take it? The village was awful as well. The Russians just pressed forward and swarmed my men. I placed most of my squads over there but I think I spread them out too far. I probably should have made building Z6 more of the focal point of the defense and put less guys in some of the outlying areas. Still, my defense was sound with units supporting each other. Even so, you have to actually roll low enough to hit something or the opponent has to break when you do. Neither happened. The Russians even moved or advanced in the open and I still couldn't do anything to them. Normal MCs for me usually caused ELR breaks. I hung it up when the game on the village side was well in the Russian’s hands and my friend inexplicably marched the 10-0 commissar and three partisans right onto the railroad tracks (maybe he knew I was cursed). I overran them with a tank and promptly rolled a 12. No PMC break for me; I just shook my head and said, “Game.” Some games are like that...
Although G25/R15 on the ROAR, i believe it is possible to win this one with the Russian (even with regular dicerolls :) ). I like the scenario.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Although G25/R15 on the ROAR, i believe it is possible to win this one with the Russian (even with regular dicerolls :) ). I like the scenario.
I read good things about it so I was disappointed the dice decided the game. I liked how both sides had a chance to attack and defend. I'll never revisit it because of all the scenarios I have yet to play, but if I ever did go back, this is one I'd try again.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I won my only playing as the Russians. My attack up the gully really caught my opponent of stride and allowed me to penetrate deep into the village. The partisans were wiped out to the man but they made a good enough push that when the turn 2 reinforcements showed up my opponent was forced to reinforce the rail station and that might have made the difference.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP-146 Szacked

The PiF link scenario marathon continued this afternoon with another Polish defeat. Roar has this 2-1 Russians and it started out like my Poles would help those odds a bit, but then the roof fell in. I can't tell you how many MC my guys failed and nearly every single one was an ELR. The Poles CC as Japanese but I could not reach CC because any amount of fire managed to break my guys, even the 9-2 failed on his first MC!! Is this scenario really a 2-1 dog? IDK, while the Poles certainly have the advantage once CC is reached; getting there can be difficult. I still recommend giving the scenario a try and I think there's enough going on that I would play it again also. Up next BFP147 The Commissar's Folly

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turning the Screws DB OT4 One of the larger outings from the Rees/ Operation Turnscrew issue of DftB. I sent my Scotsmen along the south side of the playing area, or should I say urban moonscape? In spite of the Scots numbers and firepower, I took it on the chin for the first few turns. The snipers did no harm with most of their shots, but the few that did connect were brutal. I lost the 10-3 and a 9-2 in two turns. Still, the Scots managed to pound their way forward. I was able to take the church, the Muhlenturm, then cleared the 360 pillbox. But, I forgot to actually, ENTER the PB...... Argh! In the last turn- the Fallschirmjager and surviving Volkstrum cousins managed to get me over the CVP cap. With out enough of the required conditions being met, German Victory. The Germans still clung to a small slice of land over looking the Rhine.

Great, big, scenario.

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alan Saltzman played PA#11, Tenkitten-Riegel from LCP’s Panzer Aces 2 pack. This scenario pits Soviet armor and elite infantry against an assortment of German units in East Prussia during April 1945. The scenario is actually sort of a mini-campaign that is broken down into three 6 Turn segments. Survivors of the previous fight continue on with additional forces entering as reinforcements.

In order to win the Soviets must either exit 130 points off the south edge or clear the majority of Germans from most of the map. The initial German forces consisted of two Tiger I’s, a PaK 40, a handful of infantry with SW, and 50 FPP.

Soviet forces included some IS-2’s, T-34/85’s, M3A1 scout cars, and a handful of elite guards and pioneers.

My Soviets sustained some early losses against the German front line, but managed to penetrate the defensive belt in the eastern part of the map by the end of the first segment. Infantry aboard IS-122’s and ISU-152’s arrived from the north at the beginning of the second segment and began facing off against a reinforcing Tiger II and a trio of a Tiger I’s. Massed 122L fire struck the turret of the Tiger II three times, with the third being the charm. One of the Tiger I’s was recalled due to a broken main armament and another was killed by the an IS-2 with an advancing fire shot. The destruction of most of the German armor caused Al to fail a PMC and he conceded.

This scenario had two Russian wins on ROAR; now three. I recommend that the Germans be given the balance for any future playing; this would increase their initial FPP from 50 to 75.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Mr Honus has been a regular opponent/instructor over the past four weeks as I have been learning VASL.

Since our first game (ASL 11 Defiance on Hill 30) we have met once a week and have run through:

J105 - Borodino Train Station
A31 - On the Road to Andalsnes
224 - Beachhead at Ozereyka Bay

I'm still fumbling with stacks, sorting and some of the finer points of the system but it's going quite well. Not quite the same as FtF but it's better than no game at all. It's good to have a live opponent to correct you when you make an error on DRM's. I'll have to try out the SASL side of VASL soon.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Alan Saltzman played PA#11, Tenkitten-Riegel from LCP’s Panzer Aces 2 pack.
I guess you do play other nationalities! My post was mostly in jest two weeks back. Aggressive players like yourself love the Germans on the attack.

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SmR4, Passage of Lines.
The American Marines must capture two Hilltop Defense Perimeters (HDP) from defending North Korean troops on the outskirts of Seoul in September 1950. A South Korean Marine unit had failed in a previous attempt and were attempting to withdraw through rice paddies without getting annihilated. Two USMC companies took over the attack, moving through the retreating South Koreans.

Despite never gaining battery access with their 60mm OBA and losing both tanks, one to a mine and another to a Suicide Hero, the USMC managed to seize their objectives. Superior firepower and high morale prevailed against fortified and determined opposition. Great game!

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Played J159 Tropic Lightning against the redoubtable Byron Lukowicz. I was the Japanese and set up strong in the central village area on bd 56 with one squad and the AT gun covering the back victory area. Byron's Americans needed to control all stone buildings. He pushed hard at the village while a flanking force moved down the road on bd 35 where I had little but a couple of HIP THHs. He covered the entry points of the Japanese armor (coming in on east side) with three M5s. Luck was with me early and the American infantry broke readily as my troops stubbornly gave ground in the village. I opted to come in with my Armor on turn 2. I sent two tanks on a suicide mission hoping to overrun a stack of infantry to free up a THH, but the tanks were gunned down by an M5 going on a rate tear. A THH managed to destroy another M5 guarding the entry area which freed my remaining tanks to get to the back victory zone.

In the village, a stubborn HMG crew weathered intense fire while two DC hero attacks and an active sniper kept the Americans scrambling to get broken squads back in the fight. My position in the Village didn't crack until turn 5 but it was still going to take Byron at least a turn to mop up there and by that time the reinforced rear buildings were protected by 4 squads, two leaders, the AT gun, two tanks, a vehicle crew and an MMG crew. Two Ami squads on half tracks were threatening the position but had little hope without support which wouldn't be able to get there with enough time. Byron threw in the towel.

It was fun scenario. Luck leaned in my favor. If it had been a little more even, the game likely would have gone down to the wire. Balance favors the Japanese a little on ROAR. It seems like the Americans should roll, but if the Japanese use all their tricks, they can make it a tough row to hoe.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I finished a PBEM match of BTB8 STEEL INFERNO. The pre-game bombardment landed on my left flank in the woods, but luckily broke less than half of the troops there. My German defenders had early good shooting. They took out three British tanks with no losses. The infantry approach across level 1 was hindered by my level 1 MG positions. Then the British armour took up some HD positions against my tanks and outnumbered them. I used smoke to protect my tanks, but it helped the British infantry approach as well. When my smoke left the British smoke was well underway. The match started to go to the British favor when my left flank pull back was cut off by the British armour, which included a bounding fire shot by a Sherman to destroy a Pz4. I tried to hang on until the turn six reinforcements, but the British turn six went too well for them.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Few notes on scenarios I have done during past month or so:

HF6 Jackpot Jones I played the American against my brother Teemu. This is a genius scenario - the interplay of the US Hellcat setup rule and wide German entry area make for great mind game for both parties. I chose to bring all Hellcats in on turn 1 and created to fake one out of Dummies to make an impression of presence on board. My setup was not the best one otherwise but as Teemu obviously was afraid of HIP TDs being on board he made an conservative opening giving me some time to get my act together and I could enter the Hellcats to bolster my defense. In the end it as tight. With me getting ahead by a lucky break first nailing one Pz IV with BAZ at a 4 hex range shot - and then Hellcat killing the other Panzer IV which was driven hull down with two hex sides TCA change Final fire shot where I rolled snakes. Perhaps a motion attempt would have been the prudent thing to do... Still it was played until the last German move so it was hard fought. I'd rather be lucky than good. Another solid Hatten scenario.

BFP129 A Bitter Day Another Poland in Flames live VASL game against Rami Saarinen. All infantry fight on board 7a. I was the defending German. Early on Polish berserk halfsquad unhinged my left flank and I spent rest of the game trying to get things under control. Rami never eased the pressure and by his last move he had taken all of the victory buildings. I had a shot at taking one back my last move, but when you rely on couple of Prep fire 6 flat and 8+2 shots to open your way to the building it ended in a bloody German mess on the last German MPh. This is a really good all infantry fight.

FrF43 Forest Devil This was played VASL PBEM against Matias Dahlback. I was defending as Germans. I set up too forward and as Matias put on an aggressive attack with his glorious Bulgarian combined arms force I had difficult time pulling out. The German 50L ATG killed the small Pz 38 on first turn, but the crew crew rolled boxcars on a MC just as I had a chance to get one of the PzIVs. Through some good luck I managed to pull this one into last CC where Matias needed to win two CCs. One CC had my 8-1 leader against several Bulgarian Squads and that was won by him easily. The other hex had my 838 against several Bulgarians. - Matias rolled 11 and I rolled 12! So despite boxcars in the last possible roll in the game I won by the slightest margins. This one was a true nail-biter from start to finish.

RPT140 Warwickshire at Wormhoudt I was defending as British and Kirby Vincent, the local "Canadian-ASLer-in-Finland" came to visit and e played the attacking SS. I figured that the SS had a quite lot to do in a short time so I setup relatively aggressively up front in order to throw the German time table off during the opening moves. This was relatively successful and although we played it till the last German MPh where a Carrier B ATR hit followed by a 3 on TK put the last mobile German tank trying to exit away, it was at that point more of theory than solid chance for a win. This one does not have enough ROAR data to draw any conclusions. However the Germans are really a huge challenge to play in this one and require a precise but bold attack to succeed.

Ok, now I would like to play something as the attacker.... (Ok that was not a honest statement. I am currently playing several PBEM games as attacker)

Last edited: