So what scenarios have you played Recently?

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Currently playing ASL 2: Mila 18. Both sides have switched plans halfway through. In another building, one ZOB squad advanced into CC and ambush and eliminated a German squad, but was in its turn eliminated by another German squad. Later, the Germans pinned the ZOB unit in 20U2 and advanced to CC, the ZOB squad, although pinned, managed to ambush the Germans, but the ambushed failed. The Germans equally failed to eliminate the ZOB squad so now they are locked in melee, but with a concealed ZOB squad upstairs which will advance in the next turn to ambush the German squad.

Sometimes it blows me away how exciting this game can be.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember playing this a few years ago. It was kinda the opposite. The Soviet tanks massacred the halftracks, and the ATGs didn’t do much. The Soviet infantry made little progress, but the tanks dragged them through.
Yep. I read your write up. I put the halftrack with the 9-2 on the level 2 hill with an AT Gun. Both halftracks didn't do much but I think they got one tank each. The AT Guns, on the other hand, lit things up. If I were to play as the Russians, I'd mass everything on one of the sides with the infantry as riders and push hard. With luck, one of the AT Guns and halftracks should be out of position. My friend committed his tanks across the board so there were plenty of targets. With rate and To Kill rolls being the way they are in ASL, this scenario could play out differently each time even if using the exact same set ups. Sure the HIP aspect would be blown but like I said in the first write up, the Germans could quickly get swarmed if they are unlucky. I had fun. My friend, not so much.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Fear Naught [AP137] Dave Stephens and I know we are in for a nail biter anytime we play a Pete Shelling scenario. I had the Brits with a creeping barrage which required a careful reading of the rules. I used my four leaders to lead my assault groups in a four pronged attack with the barrage cooperating fully by moving forward just enough to allow me to gain a foothold in the infamous "Koresh" compound and eventually control the two buildings there on turn four. Casualties were light for me with one Churchill VIII going down also on turn four. A dead leader and one out of place started problems for me as I had a lot of broken units that would never rally. Turn six was a desperate rush driving a Churchill toward the Panther but it broke its main gun and I entered its hex in motion. Another Churchill (CE) motored next to a 658 which could not stun the tank on two shots. Bounding fire is a CH on the 658 but I a rolled a 12 which still resulted in a 2MC which it survived. A Brit 457 then moved into an orchard next to this tough 658 but a FPF 12 CR'ed him. Another building taken. In the end I had three buildings to his two squads giving me the win. Great game but long (six hours) and with very few ROAR results.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently playing ASL 2: Mila 18. Both sides have switched plans halfway through. In another building, one ZOB squad advanced into CC and ambush and eliminated a German squad, but was in its turn eliminated by another German squad. Later, the Germans pinned the ZOB unit in 20U2 and advanced to CC, the ZOB squad, although pinned, managed to ambush the Germans, but the ambushed failed. The Germans equally failed to eliminate the ZOB squad so now they are locked in melee, but with a concealed ZOB squad upstairs which will advance in the next turn to ambush the German squad.

Sometimes it blows me away how exciting this game can be.

View attachment 13746
The ZOB squad upstairs will only be reinforcing the Melee and no Ambush will be possible (A11.4).

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
The ZOB squad upstairs will only be reinforcing the Melee and no Ambush will be possible (A11.4).
Dammit I was looking forward to that. Still, with the concealment advantage they would have had a chance.

That's the last straw - I think I'll restart this scenario. Too many mistakes. The ZOB have completely forgotten about their MOL supply and haven't even lit one; I gave the ZOB only two HIP units because I confused the Scenario 2 HIP allowance with scenario 1; and I decided, because of my god-like view and knowledge (no laughing at the back), to give the ZOB the balance provision and make the SS Inexperienced...yet they've mostly been moving at normal rates.

There's only so much that can be covered by A.2... :LOL:

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished playing BtB8: Steel Inferno vs. Greg Barsness, with me as the SS and Greg as the Brits. This is a fine scenario that sees a pantload of brits (22, mostly 457s) with a bunch of armor support (9 I think) coming across the board 11 hills to crash into a village full of stone buildings and surrounded by bocage. The SS defend with 3 Mk IVs, a PaK 40 and 11 elite squads. Both sides get OBA and it opens with a bombardment (3 hex radius though). The Brits need 8 buildings to win.
The bombardment did nothing but light the grain on fire and make us spend probably an hour over the whole playing rolling for spread (which it did even with light rain, but to no great effect). The OBA will perhaps make this scenario unforgettable. My first playing with the Pleva rules, so I drew 6 red chits. Ended with 8black and 9red. Who knew Steve was such a sadist? I also managed to lose contact 3-4 times in between! I did still like that it was still possible to get a mission right up to the end. Greg's was worse as he tried to get it onto my flank and a lucky shot broke the squad accompanying the leader, and pinned the leader. I was able to get a MkIV adj and force them to rout into woods on the board edge and then sent a 228 over to force elimination for failure to rout the next turn.
Meanwhile, Greg played a near perfect approach and when he forced the issue into the village my guys folded like a house of cards.
12 buildings in, my turn 6 reinforcements (2x panther and 2x 658) were too little, too late.
It was tense all the way through and I think one very very much worth having a go at. Excellent scenario.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played U3 The Factory as the defending Germans. Nothing too exciting. The heavy rain never let up. It sorta helped out both sides; the Americans initially and then my guys later. OBA and the 6 ML troops did in the Americans. Though only two batteries fell, it was enough to put the southern US forces out of commission for a while. The western US forces made decent progress but were thrown back by poor morale and the inability to break my defenders in two fortified positions until late in the game. Long scenario. Nothing special about it but nothing bad either. Slight recommend from me. And thus ends my early 1944 Italy foray.

Last edited:

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I decided to finish Mila 18 after all - as my drumming teacher said, "you can't start again if you make a mistake- you have to get it back and keep going". So, I HIP'd all the ZOB squads where they were, and went from there. As the casualties started to mount once the Germans decided to forget mopping up and just get killing, the ZOB units started to take the occasional promising shot instead of just relying on CC and ambush, also moving away to avoid CC and run down the clock, avoiding where possible towards the fortified HQ in W7 to give maximum protection to the surviving ZOB units. I called it for the ZOB at the end of Turn 8, as the Germans didn't have a hope of reaching their kill target. The ZOB sniper was effective if unspectacular. A few pins and HS breaks to make co-ordination awkward for the Germans. FInal score - Germans: 17, ZOB: 9. Only one German unit failed ELR.

One thing the scenario isn't clear on is the ZOB balance option of making the Germans Inexperienced. It doesn't specify "Inexperienced: Green" or "Inexperienced: Conscript", so I went with Green.

This turned out to be an interesting scenario - and I'd play it again, but maybe trying it out on Board 51 instead which seems like a better fit for the historical terrain.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Meatchoppers With Knives RPT 167 Korea, '51 Chinese Communist early war troops must take some buildings in a small village and hold onto a hill at the same time. They are opposed by a truly UN force; French Infantry, with an ROK platoon, and two US M16 MGMC. I foolishly set up at the edge of the village and had my UN troops swamped by turn 2. The ChiComs had both of their mortars on the bd 61 hill, and they pounded away, opposed by my 60mm. I tried to get the MGMC onto the board to slow the attack. But, one was stunned, and one was immo'ed by the MTRs. I lost 70F4 and 70G6. After CHing the 82mm, I was able to get a counter attack going with the French reinforcements and the mobile MGMC. The immobile MGMC was able to clean off the hill.
I took back both buildings with some trouble and CC. UN win, but narrowly. Without the CH, and the 82mm blasting away for a few more turns, this would have been a Chinese win.

Nice, less complex, KWASL Scenario.

buser333

Reaction score
I decided to finish Mila 18 after all - as my drumming teacher said, "you can't start again if you make a mistake- you have to get it back

One thing the scenario isn't clear on is the ZOB balance option of making the Germans Inexperienced. It doesn't specify "Inexperienced: Green" or "Inexperienced: Conscript", so I went with Green.
A19.3 is a general rule. There is no need to define the Germans as either; their troops are faced with all of the limitation of A19.3-A19.36. For movement purposes they still would have 6 MF with a leader as they are not Green.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
RB9 Ghosts in the Rubble. I started the scenario with my commissar leading a seven squad human wave across the rubble. He rolled a 12 on his first MC. At the end of the MPh, six of the seven squads were broken. And in the CCPh, the only squad that managed to reach the enemy rolled a 12, and the enemy withdrew. I have recovered since then and might still win the game, but this was a really disastrous start.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RB9 Ghosts in the Rubble. I started the scenario with my commissar leading a seven squad human wave across the rubble. He rolled a 12 on his first MC. At the end of the MPh, six of the seven squads were broken. And in the CCPh, the only squad that managed to reach the enemy rolled a 12, and the enemy withdrew. I have recovered since then and might still win the game, but this was a really disastrous start.
This is a Public Service announcement from the Human Waves/Banzais May Be Harmful to Your Health Committee.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HG-11 Skill in Khilki. Should be called Drilled in Khilki! My defending Germans got destroyed by the attacking Russians. With no long range AT capability to speak of, the Russian armor decimated my guys. Not sure what can be done to save those sledges and conscripts. Weird that the original version, HG-7, was 6-4 Russians on ROAR while this version is 5-1 Russian. I don't have the original, but I don't believe anything changed. Maybe a good learning scenario for a new player on how to maneuver tanks in deep snow?

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Played Saint-George [DB154] from the recent "Bunker." My usual face-to-face opponent was Dave Stephens. My French held tough but collapsed just as the needed reinforcements were arriving. Unfortunately the two good order squads remaining from the initial onboard group broke on turn five and allowed the Germans to get a toehold over the rail line. That toehold then expanded with eight morale Germans, a battle hardened 10-2 and two heroes that my five H35's could hardly scratch. Worse was my poor placement of the two Auto Cannon trucks which were quickly dispatched by the German Stugs. In hindsight they need to set way back and then be moved across the rail line and get concealment to protect the turn five reinforcements as well as the victory areas. Both sides got an immediate OBA bombardment but the Germans got there Stuka too early to interdict the French reinforcements. Good scenario that went to the last French advancing fire phase.
Glad you gave it a try Ray, early on in playtesting I made the same sort of mistakes in the French defense, this is another scenario that presents a bit of a learning curve but it sure does not help when your opponent battle hardens to a 10-2 and gets 2 heroes added to 8 morale troops, a bit of piling on there. Those French tanks can hurt the Germans BUT are slow and radio-less, so have their issues. Fun scenario that can easily go either way IF the Germans don't get over the canal in force by turn 3 or 4 at the latest and over the railroad with a platoon or so by turn 5 to await the French reinforcements. Early war, combined arms on both sides and plenty of room for maneuver makes for much ASL FUN! I am blessed by the submissions we get here for Dispatches.

Thanks again for playing it, be safe and well, Vic.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Kind thanks to "Mr Honus" for hosting my first VASL game of the Yanks 2 version of ASL 11 "Defiance on Hill 30"

The US defenders were kind enough to Malf'n the 60* Mtr on its first shot and, while it was repaired, the HS never could stay GO long enough to actually use the weapon. Mr Honus' dice were all over the map but overall they did not help him out much other than a CH w/ a Baz against a Squad behind a wall.

For my part I managed to get enough good DR to break the US paras of the initial OoB and capture three squads while a pair of flanking HS managed to get on the two flanking hills to cause some mischief. With three building taken and a significant edge in CVP after a good DFF phase that hurt the US reinforcements, Mr Honus yielded to the inevitable.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
32 Subterranean Quarry. I remember this one from when I bought Partisan! when it first came out. I thought it was the coolest idea. I played it, but I don’t remember the outcome. Flash forward 30 plus later and I still thought the scenario looked cool. After playing it again, not so much now. I had the Romanians and they put a whupping on the poor partisans. Other than the Romanian firepower – which is considerable to say the least – the partisans are so boxed in that once they break, they are pretty much dead. Over quickly.

My friend and I are throwing some D-Day scenarios into our early 1944 ETO campaign since a lot of them are short and that’s our next campaign theater. So after the first scenario proved to be a dud, we played T1 Gavin Take. Another scenario I played (many times) before. My Germans got their butts kicked. The American 10-3 and 10-2 moved with impunity and laughed at my feeble attempts to slow them down. Even though I fell back while taking necessary shots here and there, my men were swarmed and crushed. The rearguard units around the exit hex didn’t guard their rears and got their butts whipped as well. It’s pretty even in a million playings on ROAR but mine wasn’t even close.

Last edited:

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J80 Egypt's Last Hope Tom and I finally finished up our Line in The Sand mini today, when Tom gave me a god old fashioned butt kicking. Roar has this at 3 to 1 in favor of the Brits, and both Tom and I agree this is terribly difficult on the Germans. Tom one it on turn 2 dph ROF year with a 57L ATG that left me 5 AFV shocked or destroyed. With the 75 longs allout of action Tom counterattacked with the Lee,s to begin blasting away the remaining Germans. It was pointless to continue.. I knew when neither mortar found smoke the long shot wasn't going to play. The options I chose were the 100mm Arty, which luckily came down early, before his AC showed up, I took short barreled 75s to support the infantry , but they were gone before they fired a shot. My final group was the 251smg group. I also chose the marter and placed it in overwatch, where it scored a CH on a Stewart at 20 hexes.