So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished off a game of 5 To the Square a bit ago, and finally posted the full adventure. My plan as the attacking Russians nearly came apart when I ran right into one of the HIP squads, but I managed to leverage the rest of my moves to take apart that line over the next turn, and then startled him with a sudden shift in direction for a close win.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Finished off a game of 5 To the Square a bit ago, and finally posted the full adventure. My plan as the attacking Russians nearly came apart when I ran right into one of the HIP squads, but I managed to leverage the rest of my moves to take apart that line over the next turn, and then startled him with a sudden shift in direction for a close win.
Nicely detailed AAR! My poor computer can't handle VASL to get such nice graphics. Too old school to upgrade.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
In Front of the Storm [{2020 edition} 231] was the latest France 1940 scenario I played yesterday. It was an exciting, hard fought river crossing contest that went down to the last CC die roll where I failed to kill off the two German squads guarding the last victory hex. Of course, it was a 1 to 2 -1 so my chances of winning were small but it had looked hopeless until my last movement phase when I managed to get into a position to win. Great, balanced scenario by somebody named Curt Schilling :whistle:⚾.

Interesting is the civilian interrogation. I haughtily claimed I would roll a four on the wind change to discover his defenses and I did on turn one. Doh, I had no troops on board so it didn't count. On turn three I did and got the trifecta revealing all the mines, stripping a lot of concealment and finding the AT Gun! Dave Stephens was so upset he said he would have no chance now but fought on, mainly in close combat with his few infantry units on my side of the river. I could not kill anything and we got into three turn CC's in three spots despite odds of 2-1, 3-1 and, wait for it, 4-1!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This (interrogation) is the one optional rule I wish was part of the base game. I like the amount and type of chaos and doubt it adds.
Given the option I always play with interrogation (especially in HASLs) but only invoke civilian interrogation when prompted by SSR. Interrogation as an optional rule is normally misunderstood; Its use agreed upon by mutual consent rather than an SSR mandated optional rule. This fact is often missed, even by grogbnards.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Given the option I always play with interrogation (especially in HASLs) but only invoke civilian interrogation when prompted by SSR. Interrogation as an optional rule is normally misunderstood; Its use agreed upon by mutual consent rather than an SSR mandated optional rule. This fact is often missed, even by grogbnards.
I do understand this, but have a broad "no optional rules" policy. Just too much to remember anyway!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In Front of the Storm [{2020 edition} 231] was the latest France 1940 scenario I played yesterday. It was an exciting, hard fought river crossing contest that went down to the last CC die roll where I failed to kill off the two German squads guarding the last victory hex. Of course, it was a 1 to 2 -1 so my chances of winning were small but it had looked hopeless until my last movement phase when I managed to get into a position to win. Great, balanced scenario by somebody named Curt Schilling :whistle:⚾.

Interesting is the civilian interrogation. I haughtily claimed I would roll a four on the wind change to discover his defenses and I did on turn one. Doh, I had no troops on board so it didn't count. On turn three I did and got the trifecta revealing all the mines, stripping a lot of concealment and finding the AT Gun! Dave Stephens was so upset he said he would have no chance now but fought on, mainly in close combat with his few infantry units on my side of the river. I could not kill anything and we got into three turn CC's in three spots despite odds of 2-1, 3-1 and, wait for it, 4-1!
Are there any changes to the original scenario?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished playing ASL 215 Red Devils from KFW. I played the Chinese and my buddy played the Americans. The Chinese won by charging the American line and getting to the M41s and knocking some out in CC. The Americans did fire from the M41s in desperation and that added a few points. We liked this scenario because it is a good example of how the play the Chinese as they are intended to be played, move them up under cover as far as you can, then set up for a charge in waves. It seemed very realistic in what it was portraying. Right now it is a 9-3 in favor of the Chinese on ROAR but I think there are some things the Americans can do to win this one. The American player has to grok this one and plan accordingly.

I've played six of the KFW scenarios so far and they all have been very good.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Veni Venezia FT226

Italian invasion of Greece, ‘40. A large collection of Italians must take multi hex buildings on good old board 3. After looking at the ROAR record, we went with the Italian balance. An equal helping of Italians came from board 58, and the rest from the west side of board 3.

They made good progress with the OBA Smoke at first. Then the rain came. My Greeks started shooting straight. The Italians took O5, T4, and were into S3. But they were never a threat to 3M3. (Many fond memories of that building.)

Maybe add another platoon of 3-4-6s?

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Veni Venezia FT226

Italian invasion of Greece, ‘40. A large collection of Italians must take multi hex buildings on good old board 3. After looking at the ROAR record, we went with the Italian balance. An equal helping of Italians came from board 58, and the rest from the west side of board 3.

They made good progress with the OBA Smoke at first. Then the rain came. My Greeks started shooting straight. The Italians took O5, T4, and were into S3. But they were never a threat to 3M3. (Many fond memories of that building.)

LOL: always tough playing Italians, especially against Greeks

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Veni Venezia FT226

Playing this right now as the Italians. The Greek coughed and the Italians break and rout back

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Partisans can also do multi-location firegroups, but this is often SSR'd away.
Partisans can do that, deploy, recombine, entrench, all sorts of things. The Partisan SSR is so common, there are many people who think this is not the case, however the RB puts no such restrictions on Partisans.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finished up FT266 A Fine Mess on VASL as the defending Germans today with a German sudden death victory in the defenders turn 4. I love French 40 scenarios and there was a Somua 35 on the scenario card. :love:

This one doesn’t give the German a whole lot to do other than survive and not give up >=7 VP. The French score one VP each for building location (there are 4 possible), each 37L (2) or AFV (3) destroyed and each SMC, crew or HS-equivalent captured (yep, dying is ok -- captured is not). French win immediately if they destroy or capture 3 (of the 5 OB-given) French S-35. The bulk of the action occurs on half-board board 33.

Looking at the scenario, I quickly determined that two of the outer VC buildings on the defending hill were indefensible and stuck dummies there and any other troops over there had an ability to infiltrate away to safer locations on turn 1 and 2. Three S-35s led the assault to the top of the hill. My two 37Ls in the woods destroyed one, CH-ed another. Another was immobilized (even with the additional immob dr) . These were amazing results as the Somuas are very tough. The French infantry arrived at the top of the hill and the Germans simply skulked.

The two other tanks assaulted the two remaining building furthest from the French entry. Here I was able to tip-toe my 8-0/DC and place it on an S-35. It turned VCA to fire, but the leader was able to avoid any results. The DC placement was favorable and the result was a burning wreck in the AdFP giving the Germans the victory.

I was pleased with the win, but have to say it didn’t feel like there were lots of options for the Germans other than roll low and avoid taking results. The Germans must avoid having any troops vulnerable to capture if broken or else give the French precious VP. Too, the tanks need to avoid the S-35s. My three 38t focused on staying out of the line of fire in my initial T4 movement phase.

I can see this scenario being a fun game, but I felt the Germans get shoehorned into a pretty limited game plan. Anyway, always great to play ASL -- and S-35s were on the board.

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Partisans can do that, deploy, recombine, entrench, all sorts of things. The Partisan SSR is so common, there are many people who think this is not the case, however the RB puts no such restrictions on Partisans.
In our new DTF pack we have a scenario with Chinese Communist forces. Per Chapter G, they are treated as Partisans for all purposes - and it is interesting to see how many things we "think we remember" are part of Partisan rules, but are instead commonly used SSR.

A large group of Partisan 3-3-7s is quite a powerful force, as we found out!