So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
As practice scenario, we played RB4 To The Rescue. My Russian defenders won because of excellent performance in CC. Next on the list: Operation Hubertus with me as the German Attacker. I just got the setup from my opponent, and I'm a little bit afraid.
Since when do you need practice? Trying to lull future opponents into thinking you are a newbie! :)

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Since when do you need practice? Trying to lull future opponents into thinking you are a newbie! :)
I started with ASL 6 years ago and have played 136 scenarios, including a lot of starter kit ones. Compared to most others here, I am still a newbie.

But we practiced mostly to get accustomed to the new terrain types and the RB SSRs, and to learn the peculiarities of the RB map. Factory heights and LOS to/from rooftop locations is something I will probably need a cheat sheet for.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been wanting to play WCW7 Eye of the Tiger, a classic from the Windy City Wargamers, and we had a really fun game. The German SS force was on their way to capturing most of the nine stone buildings for the win but the Russians had a chance to sneak out a victory by inflicting 30 CVPs. A T-34 was able to destroy an intensive-fired Tiger at point blank range. It was then able to immobilize and destroy the last Pz IVH to reach 26 CVPs. However, it had gotten immobilized itself by that same Pz IVH. Two 5-4-8s passed PAATCs to go into CC against the last Puma armored car. It was guarded by a 6-5-8 and chances were low. Friendly fire into the melee created and eventually left only a Russian hero in the hex with the Puma, and after being wounded, it managed to immobilize the armored car. The last 5-4-8 trying to engage the Puma on the last turn was broken in the streets adjacent to it for an exciting finish.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
My first game of 2020 was BFP-73 Preliminary Move against my cousin Mikko Lukkari. This game was a part of my hopeless efforts to play and enjoy at least some of the great material published while I was not too active with ASL between 2010-2017.

This seems to be a SSR heavy scenario but it actually is not too bad as most of this is dealt during turn 1 after which it is pretty straightforward and quick playing. I got some results with the Stukas and also put down the smoke reasonably well - however I would place the shellholes differently if I was to play German again.

Plan was to run the big mortars forward aided by leaders to I could get under 12 hex shots and maximize the smoke capabilities for the mortars. I also made two MMG/HMG kills tacks with the 9 morale negative modifier leaders.

There is a lot of open ground on BFP-N to traverse and I suffered losses early on. Also my 9-1 led MG stack broke as the hidden 45L opened up with rate, and my 9-2 led HMG malfunctioned twice, luckily I was able to repair it on both cases.

By mid-game I managed to get into position on the base of the hill on board BFP M. My first attempt to climb the hill was pushed back and as both of my mortars ran out of smoke after placing only one smoke round between them, this was on top of the front 45L - so I had to do it without any cover.

My second attempt was more successful but just as I gained couple of hexes foot hold on the hill I ran into minefield and also found a 76L gun placed int brush hex adjacent to my small foothold. On the other side of the hill Russian MMG and 37L IFE AA gun fired into the fray and it looked like I was to be pushed off again.

On turn 7 I managed to get back on the hill in force push to the 76L gun hex and captured the gun. On the beginning of turn 8 I calculated that I could gain few more hexes but that would be nowhere near enough to win. I had a shot of exiting more points for the victory but the aforementioned HMG and AA gun plus one Russian 458 on the rear could shoot into most of the hexes so it was a low odds change. Since we were not short of time I decided to give it a go instead of conceding.

I claimed the couple of hexes I could during the MPh and my exiting forces scrambled toward the map edge - some of them broke but Mikko rolled high on most of the shots and I was now at 17 VP- one short of the required 18. The last CCPh I had two more hexes possible: One where my 228 crew who had abandoned his malfunctioned mortar was trying to kill a 7-0 Russian leader and then a berserk 468 against Russian 228 and 8-0 leader. I decided to go for the 7-0 leader first- rolled snakes and game over, German victory!

I must say that Mikko should have won this one- I was extremely lucky to pull it off, and I do not feel I played that good. But it is never over until it really is over! A decent scenario for its size.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
But it is never over until it really is over! .
How true! I play other, generally large wargames with seven others, many of whom had played ASL in the past. The comment from them often comes up that the great thing about ASL and its scenarios is that the game generally goes pretty much to the end. In our bigger games such as GBCW and Grand Tactical it becomes rather obvious after one or two six or seven hour sessions that the issue is no longer in doubt and we tear the game down and pick another.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hundred Regiments Offensive. BFP 34. China, ‘40. Chinese Communist attack on mostly 2nd line IJA. The ChiComs must take buildings on boards 42 and 32. My Japanese set up was not good- too spread out. My opponent launched a concentrated blow at board 42. My IJA was chewed up piecemeal. At one point, the ChiComs had all of the board 42 buildings, and some of the board 32. My reinforcements all went after the board 32 buildings. Banzai charges and much CC later, all over 32C4 and C3, the ChiComs held.

Nice scenario.

Last edited:

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hundred Regiments Offensive. BFP 34. China, ‘40. Chinese Communist attack on mostly 2nd line IJA. The ChiComs must take buildings on boards 42 and 32. My Japanese set up was not good- too spread out. My opponent launched a concentrated blow at board 42. My IJA was chewed up piecemeal. At one point, the ChiComs had all of the board 42 buildings, and some of the board 32. My reinforcements all went after the board 32 buildings. Banzai charges and much CC later, all over 32C4 and C3, the ChiComs held.

Nice scenario.
Yeah, I like this scenario.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I like this scenario.
Certainly one of my top 5 BFP scenarios. I remember my last possible shot as the IJA and took a 1+1 and got a PTC result -- Of course. the target pinned and could not advance to control the last building he needed.

Fear the 1 FP shot!!!!!

Last edited:

tripvm

Reaction score
First name
Trip
Country
llUnited States
I played WO23 A Simple Solution with Russ Curry last weekend. This is a very interesting infantry only scenario set in Aachen, Germany in October '44. My German force of conscripts and 2nd line squads with a few MGs was tasked with holding off a sizable force of American 1st line squads armed with FTs, DCs, and BAZs. The SSRs give the Germans five interesting choices to augment their force and/or change victory conditions. The choice is not revealed to the American until the end. I kept it simple and went for more firepower (2 MMGs + 2 crews).

I am a new player and Russ provided me with some helpful coaching that allowed me to hold him off...for a while. In the end, my defense crumbled, and Russ was able to take the group of buildings required for the win on the next to last turn. In retrospect, I probably tried to defend a little too far forward and left a couple of valuable MGs in vulnerable positions. Overall, I had a great time and learned a lot. I would gladly play this one again. Russ also said he would play it again and commented that for an infantry only scenario there is a lot in this one.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J84 Makin Taken as the defending Japanese. It was over pretty quickly. Turn 1 was uneventful with only one US HS breaking and some skulking by me. Turn 2 heated up a bit with the lead Americans failing most of their MCs. The back breaker for the Americans turned out to be Turn 3. I decided to have my men in the forward stone buildings stand pat. Up to that point, both of us had really good dice. My sniper was very active and I usually rolled a one if I got a result. He didn't take out any leaders but the breaks certainly helped. My friend's dice failed him at the top of the turn with one of his Lees breaking the 75, most other shots were on the high side, and the worst was when he rolled boxcars on a 30FP shot. My men held firm. In my half of the turn I generated a T-H Hero who withstood some serious fire and took out the adjacent Lee by finding a ATMM. That kill put me 2 CVP from victory. Well, it just so happened that my sniper broke a forward squad at the top of the turn. I moved a just revealed HS and another squad up and finished him off for FTR. That gave me 14 CVP and the game. Even though the dice were pretty fair, every CC we had ended up with an IJA ambush. My guys won every one of them except for one. That ended up being the difference. Kind of a fun scenario but a bit small. Using the Bobai pits to channel movement was fun to plan out. I can see things going sour fast for either side due to the 6ML of the Americans and the 11 breakdown number for the IJA MGs. I'd say it is worth a play, though.

Last edited:

asloser

Reaction score
Country
llFinland

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I lost Pegasus Bridge CG II as the Brits on the second scenario. The Germans had broken all but one British squad and made it across the bridge. While my opponent did not think highly of the CG, I made a couple of mistakes as the Brits that would see me give it another go and probably stand a better chance second time around. He had plenty of MGs, and two 10-2s and that's a hard combination to beat when the best SW you have is a LMG. Would really have loved some NOBA from the Royal Navy, but they were too busy with the Merville Battery to help me out...

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played BRT4 Rikusentai as the defending Japanese. I opted for a defense clustered near the center of the Japanese perimeter. The game went back and forth with some wild swings of the dice. The US FTs were toasting my men forcing me to concentrate on taking them out vs aiming at other targets. I suppressed them but then my 10-2 leader went berserk taking everybody out of a fortified building - and abandoning a 50 cal and a MMG in the process - and got torn up. The marines lurched forward, but my lone 75mm AA gun in the center of my defense performed yeoman's work holding them at bay. By turn four it was anybody's game. Then I rolled two snakes with two separate squads KIAing a couple of squads and breaking the rest. The game was in hand. I had lost a ton of buildings but the casualty count (US needs more buildings and 30 CVP) was only in the high teens. Turn five ended the game. Some serious reversals put my casualty count close to 30. A lone 7-6-8 marine finally took out my AA Gun and captured it. Somehow, my friend now had 31 CVPs. On my half of the turn I broke that squad and was prepared to retake my gun - then the OBA hit...

My friend has terrible luck with OBA. It was no different this game. Between not even getting radio contact, to drawing a red card, he hadn't gotten off one shot. Knowing I was about to retake the gun he took a gamble that required him to draw four black cards (according to the OBA Player Aid) to get his FFE to go off. It did but luckily it drifted a hex and only hit one of my pillboxes. "No problem," I thought, +5 on the 12 chart should do little damage. CH! I knew a CH vs NCA was a zero modifier so I went through all the motions of the result which killed one of my two squads in there (my 10-1 was in there as well). Having never seen a CH on a pillbox, I looked up to see if there was any effect on it. To my dismay I read that not only was it destroyed, so was everything in it! That added six more CVPs, and with 37, there was no way for me to win. Great ending!

Tense scenario. Great for the Japanese to have optional purchases to set up their defense. However, after that, it was another static Tarawa scenario for them. All the decisions come from the American side. Still, I'd recommend it for either side, especially if this is your first BRT scenario. I'd play BRT1 first, though, just to get a feel for the new terrain first. Two more left to go, a night one (ugh) and A legend is Born - the monster BRT scenario.

Edit: Thinking about it, perhaps we messed up the requiring an extra black chit thing since I'm not sure if a unit through the NCA in a pillbox is known to an observer. If we screwed up, oh well. OBA has always been a pain in the rear for us, anyway. Either way, my friend got it, and it was an epic way to end the scenario.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Back from Winter Offensive with five games played (3-2) including three new ones from the W.O. pack ( "Better Fields of Fire" AP107, "Cahier Carriers" J72, "One Eyed Jacques" WO33, "Feast Day " WO34 and "Heroes' Day" WO35). The latter three resulted in all close games and though ten turns for "Heroes' Day" make it a long game, it was quite unique in its OB which involved Indians and Indonesians. AP107 is pretty unbalanced at 7-17 and I lost it badly even with the balance. I had a great time amidst a lot of good people.

asloser

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
On Sunday I finished a live VASL game of ITR-13 To the Last Bullet against Rami Saarinen

We played this over a long time so I really do not have a full move by move description. It is a traditional building control city fight with quite average OBs for both sides- it has been a long time since I played any scenario of this type so this was a welcome change of pace for me.

In this game I lost the German 9-2 to a sniper in the first Prep fire, and then the German 8-1 was killed by a sniper as well - on top of this the German 9-1 was killed when I rolled boxcars on a MC and topped this with 6 on the wound severity roll. Additionally two of my tanks fell into cellars when creating breaches into the fortified locations.

Rami played a good defense ofte final building and in the end I lost badly - I got in a foothold but in the end I just did not have enough bodies to clear all of the building. It was just too much for my ASL skills to manage the German assault with two 7-0 leaders remaining whit broken squads all over the place.

Not the most memorable scenario for sure but worth a play.