So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP75 Gabriel's Horn as the attacking Germans. I wasn't sure about this one as it looked like the Germans had way too much to do and not enough time to get it done. My friend set up his Americans with the bulk of the 1st line guys close to board 60. He later revealed his plan was to rush them back to reinforce the city. Luckily, I placed a nice stack of men in that area, not to stop him, but so I could rush the city as well. So, my elite men were to hit the city while my 1st line men's job was to take the level three hills. I set up with encirclement in mind and was able to get several caught in the crossfire. Steady pressure allowed me to reduce the hill pockets and by turn 5 (of 6.5) I had broken the last of the guys up there. Lots of prisoners. The city began to fall only because of one lucky occurrence. My preregistered hex was one of the forward buildings on board 60. I drew a red card right off the bat. I wasn't going to choose that hex anyway because I wanted to hit the large level three hill mass (I didn't have enough men to shoot - and get encirclement - at all the guys over there). I figured that the OBA would at least tie them up. Well, because of the red draw, my friend moved three squads (two Known) right into the preregistered zone. I called it down during his DPFh and tied up three of his five squads over there for several turns. My rolls were initially poor, but pins held them in place until I started rolling MCs. That fortuitous stroke of luck allowed me to flank his men and slowly gain headway on the southern side of the city. Once most of the men on the hill were reduced, I moved the other stack of men to hit the northern side. With one good order squad, one leader, and two crews left, my friend called it at the bottom of turn five. Pretty bloody affair (well, as far as taking tons of prisoners). My friend likes playing the Americans but that 6 ML is just brutal. Couple that with a 2 ELR and it is a tough go. I don't mind playing the Italians with that low of a morale since the scenario designers always seem to give them plenty of squads. Not so with the Americans. I read that for this scenario the American player really needs to keep the end game in mind and suck it up through the inevitable losses. And so it was with this one. My friend hung tough, but ran out of men to do anything. Still, we both recommend it. The scenario featured an unusual situation that caused us to plan and think the entire game - especially the pregame set-up .

One tip if you're playing FTF, the terrain changes were confusing. We had just played a scenario where orchards were olive groves, in this one the woods were. That was confusing enough, but brush was cactus patches as well (luckily, it was the same in the other scenario). However, there was a TON of brush. I placed wooden rubble counters (in case one of the stone buildings rubbled) to represent the cactus patches - kinda the same rules - which really helped visualize the terrain.

Last edited:

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom and I sat down to continue our ongoing (2yrs now) PiF play through I have played the Polish in all the scenarios to date. Today we knocked out two. First up was
BFP 137 Death Throes - There seem to be a lot of Polish victories recorded for this scenario however, my playing was not one of them. I halted Tom's attack on my left, but an 8fp-3 which, should have stopped his push in the center; led to an HOB DR and a 1/2 squad with Hero jumping my MMG and 9-1 in a Melee which would last almost the entire game as we both fed squads into the scrum. On the polish right things went well until my dice failed me completely. A single German squad w/ LMG completely out flank the Polish defense as I failed on 2 x 8fp flat, an 8fp+1, and 8fp+2 to get a single MC! The polish reinforcements came on and failed utterly to take the German squad (I was way to aggressive with them). The German reinforcements arrived next and began to easily roll up the polish left. The only bright spot in the mid-game being the 9-1 led melee holding out, and a pinned reinforcing squad killing two German squads in HtH. With victory still a mathematical possibility I pressed on one more turn, but when Tom KIA the remaining squad holding some stragglers pushing toward the ongoing melee and broke another squad (on a 2fp+1 shot), it was game over and I resigned.

BFP 138 Outgunned Tom has been looking forward to playing the Russians since we started this play through so he was very excited to get to the first one. Outgunned is pretty much a metaphor for the Polish in this entire suite of scenario. Sure you have a couple of good weapon systems, but the tactical restrictions like platoon movement, WW1 tanks, 2-man tankettes, 1-4 or worst leader to squads ratio, and virtually no LMG really make things difficult. In this fist Russian scenario things are much better. Here we're on the attack (again with 0 LMG) with a mixed bag of mostly 1st line squads and some Green squads. We have more than 2 leaders and 2 even have a negative modifier (that's rare believe me) attacking a cavalry screen.

I pushed my main attack down the right flank (you have to, that's where all the VC buildings are) but did send a supporting attack up the middle to threaten a crossing at that ford and two of the WW1 tanks to threaten the ford on the Polish left to keep Tom from concentrating his Turn 2 counter attack on my main effort. The main effort smashed into the initial screen on AC was immobilized but the other pushed through and exited for VC. The two vikers tanks followed up and mauled the infantry while my own infantry hurried to close up. Tom aggressively tried to take advantage of this rushing a squad and leader to try and take advantage of this separation, but it backfired and I would break and eventually capture them.

Tom was aggressive with his counter attack crossing at both fords to challenge my armor on the Polish left and center and taking up blocking positions to support the infantry on my right while his infantry occupied the victory building on their side of the stream. In the ensuing armor battle my antiquated WW1 tanks would take out three of 4 of his BT2's and the 4th would fall in CC. While his tanks would blast the two vickers, flaming one of them. This burning wreck would turn the adjacent grain field in to a conflagration allowing me to push aggressively up the the middle with no fear of enfilading fire and take two precious 5vp buildings. The Russian 76mm AA gun would also go down to one of the museum pieces and the AA 1/2 track to small arms fire from two squads who waded the river. But Tom's Russians still held final 5vp building.

All of a sudden, a scenario I didn't think I stood a chance in became a very good game. In the end my central attack supporting the right broke the squad occupying the final 5vp building allowing the right flank infantry to move up, brave fire from across the stream, and secure the building at which point Tom resigned.

Like so many of these scenarios I think this is more the Russians to loose than the Poles to win but I play against a very good player one much better than me. That said, they're all fun and with the exception of two we've played them all to last or next to the last turn. Next up is Cockroaches vs Panzers

Last edited:

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP75 Gabriel's Horn as the attacking Germans. I wasn't sure about this one as it looked like the Germans had way too much to do and not enough time to get it done. My friend set up his Americans with the bulk of the 1st line guys close to board 60. He later revealed his plan was to rush them back to reinforce the city. Luckily, I placed a nice stack of men in that area, not to stop him, but so I could rush the city as well. So, my elite men were to hit the city while my 1st line men's job was to take the level three hills. I set up with encirclement in mind and was able to get several caught in the crossfire. Steady pressure allowed me to reduce the hill pockets and by turn 5 (of 6.5) I had broken the last of the guys up there. Lots of prisoners. The city began to fall only because of one lucky occurrence. My preregistered hex was one of the forward buildings on board 60. I drew a red card right off the bat. I wasn't going to choose that hex anyway because I wanted to hit the large level three hill mass (I didn't have enough men to shoot - and get encirclement - at all the guys over there). I figured that the OBA would at least tie them up. Well, because of the red draw, my friend moved three squads (two Known) right into the preregistered zone. I called it down during his DPFh and tied up three of his five squads over there for several turns. My rolls were initially poor, but pins held them in place until I started rolling MCs. That fortuitous stroke of luck allowed me to flank his men and slowly gain headway on the southern side of the city. Once most of the men on the hill were reduced, I moved the other stack of men to hit the northern side. With one good order squad, one leader, and two crews left, my friend called it at the bottom of turn five. Pretty bloody affair (well, as far as taking tons of prisoners). My friend likes playing the Americans but that 6 ML is just brutal. Couple that with a 2 ELR and it is a tough go. I don't mind playing the Italians with that low of a morale since the scenario designers always seem to give them plenty of squads. Not so with the Americans. I read that for this scenario the American player really needs to keep the end game in mind and suck it up through the inevitable losses. And so it was with this one. My friend hung tough, but ran out of men to do anything. Still, we both recommend it. The scenario featured an unusual situation that caused us to plan and think the entire game -especially the pregame set-up .

One tip if you're playing FTF, the terrain changes were confusing. We had just played a scenario where orchards were olive groves, in this one the woods were. That was confusing enough, but brush was cactus patches as well (luckily, it was the same in the other scenario). However, there was a TON of brush. I placed wooden rubble counters (in case one of the stone buildings rubbled) to represent the cactus patches - kinda the same rules - which really helped visualize the terrain.
Title inspiration:

"The Eyes of Texas are upon you,

All the livelong day.

The Eyes of Texas are upon you,

You cannot get away.

Do not think you can escape them

At night or early in the morn --

The Eyes of Texas are upon you

Til Gabriel blows his horn.
"

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Title inspiration:

"The Eyes of Texas are upon you,

All the livelong day.

The Eyes of Texas are upon you,

You cannot get away.

Do not think you can escape them

At night or early in the morn --

The Eyes of Texas are upon you

Til Gabriel blows his horn.
"
You can take a Fort out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of Fort...

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sporck's Eleven FrF40 East Front, February '44. Lots of Soviet tanks and not so many infantry attack SS ATGs and SPW 251/11. The Ruskies must exit and or take buildings. My first wave, T-34 M41s, found each PaK40 and /11 the hard way. I had one T-34 left at the end of the game. Then heavy snow began to fall, and I was able to take the Hi12 overlay, destroying it's gun. The second wave of armor then bashed it's way through. My infantry were only able to take 2 buildings- and that was due to CHs from the SU-152s and KVs.
Run for the board edge on the last turn, running a gauntlet of one hex range PF, and lots of gunfire. Exited enough armor for a Soviet win. Very fun scenario.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
SP72 ONE TOUGH CANUCK Mixed German units must clear all GO MMCs from the center of a village by game end to clear an exit from the Falaise Pocket in 7.5 turns. Canadians start with 10 MMCs, 3 SMCs+1 ASCM, 4 Shermans, 1 AA HT, 2 76LL ATs + 1 add'l rein ATG. Germans attack with 8 SS & 10 first line MMCs, 4 SMCs, 2 Tigers, 2 Panthers, 4 PzK IVHs & 2 HTs. It was a bloody brawl. German armor heavy group attacked the south side while an inf heavy group hit the north side. A bunch of 12s and 2s and a couple of recalls, by the end of turn 6 only 2 AFVs remained, 1 PzK IV & 1 Sherman, both with MA disabled. A Hero with a Piat killed both Tigers while 2 of 3 12lb crews rolled 12s on NMCs & the third routed in the bottom of the 7th. Last turn found 4 Canuck MMCs, 2 concealed, in bldgs. with 1 leader & a Hero facing 5 SQs, 2 HSs & 2 leaders. 1 CC ambush or 1 CC win by the Canucks takes the game. It was an intense finish for a German win.

I highly recommend this scenario.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
We have all played scenarios where everything you shoot at you hit & hurt, and scenarios where you cannot hit much at all, and what you hit, you don't hurt. When both occur in the same playing, doesn't make for much of a fun game.

Played J43 3rd RTR IN THE RAIN. 1940 France, Brits trying to stop/slow German advance outside Calais. A tank/infantry team runs into a German Recon unit with a 37L AT in a small town. German AFV rein. are arriving. 37L started HIP, went concealed, killed 3 British tanks in first 2 turns & never lost concealment. Not sure if any Axis MMC even broke.
This scenario has been reported played over 300 times with relatively even results. Looks like it should be an interesting scenario. I would try it again.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have all played scenarios where everything you shoot at you hit & hurt, and scenarios where you cannot hit much at all, and what you hit, you don't hurt. When both occur in the same playing, doesn't make for much of a fun game.

Played J43 3rd RTR IN THE RAIN. 1940 France, Brits trying to stop/slow German advance outside Calais. A tank/infantry team runs into a German Recon unit with a 37L AT in a small town. German AFV rein. are arriving. 37L started HIP, went concealed, killed 3 British tanks in first 2 turns & never lost concealment. Not sure if any Axis MMC even broke.
This scenario has been reported played over 300 times with relatively even results. Looks like it should be an interesting scenario. I would try it again.
Yup, had the opposite end of a beat-down like that with the Germans in this scenario.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mai Phu BFP-35 Japanese invasion of Indochina, '40. The IJA must take buildings against a well armed French force. My IJA bashed their way into town at the only good entry point towards the north end of the playing area. Heavy initial losses as I got into town, including most of my Chi-Ro's. I was able to get some SMOKE down from the OBA, and began to take some ground in CC. My opponent's armored counter was well executed, but the 37* guns were ineffective. One of my Ha-Go's did very well, destroying A/Cs and one FT-17! At the end, my losses were too many and I was only able to take 7 of the 8 multi hex buildings.
French victory.
Fun scenario.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished "The Second Belt" against Mark Ramsdale. The result was a German win. Highlights: the 122L bagged a Tiger through the front, but not before the Tiger eliminated a crew and HMG via critical hit. The rockets didn't hit many Russians, but they did clear some of the fortifications in front of the village, which provided a way in for the SS infantry. The German tanks bypassed the AT trench line by going through the woods on the far right. I managed a personal first: setting a DC to breach an AT ditch. Other highlights included a 28LL shocking an SU-152 with a side hit, the Russian 10-2 getting drilled by a sniper and his entire stack breaking on LLMC, not long after the sniper had broken the 122L crew. A German FT brewed up one of the Churchills in the village. One of the PzIVs got a critical hit with APCR on another Churchill in the village--I think pieces of shrapel landed about 25 hexes away. The molotov projectors are very effective weapons, by the way. At least a couple German tanks were brewed up by them. It feels slightly tough on the Russians. At first it didn't look that way, but the Germans have a lot of men and materiel here, and can afford to lose a lot of vehicles. I think the Russians have to play a really good game and make the most of their opportunities. One thing in their favor is that the Germans have to take 2 big objectives, one on each side of the board. Still, it's only 8:6 in favor of the Germans on ROAR, including this playing.
What product is this scenario from?

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP76 Smoke 'Em as the attacking Germans. I went for an all out attack on the village as the exit option seemed to me like it would become a turkey shoot once the OBA started falling. I can't pinpoint exactly what went wrong with my attack on the village. My smoke barrage fell exactly where I wanted it, on the village hill, so I was able to move my guys up without fear of being shot up. However, once it cleared, my guys were in grain or woods hexes next to point blank Americans in stone buildings. Still, I figured I had enough to take the village but four broken guys later and losing another three to a 1-2 and a 1-4(!) attack by the Americans cut my force in half. I soldiered on for another turn but by the end of 4 (of 6.5) I had taken just two buildings and was down 17 CVP to 6. The writing was on the wall and I called it. The saddest part is that the Americans didn't even get off one OBA mission and I still couldn't do anything! Seems tough on the Germans but, like I said, I don't know what I could have done differently to have made a better game of it. Good win for my friend.

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
J189 Buckley's Block v Fanatic TW was very fun. ROAR has it 31 USMC 40 IJA. we diced for sides and Ted got the defending USMC. the first dice roll the Rain intensified. IJA aggressively moved forward but the USMC only slowly gave ground. a couple of early lost IJA HtHCC's really hurt their efforts to turn the left flank quickly

USMC SAN 4 had several activations but no results. the USMC 37LL had no canister: easily survived a DC placement, but finally succumb in HtH CC

Ted was able to whittle away the IJA force as it ground forward and by the end of turn 5, IJA only had 5 of the 20 CVP needed. with one turn left it looked like there just maybe enough IJA close enough to exit if every one of them made it through some seriously heavy USMC defensive first fire, maybe, so I conceded

it was good to get back to the PTO, been a while since I'd played one. this scenario played really fast and had some exciting action. we both thought it was fun and would play it again as either side
IF I remember correctly THE depl# for that Gun is 7 and adult has not p onthe # it gets three higher and as the USMC is Elite 1 higher again.

Played this scen last week and agree that it is a Good scen.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
IF I remember correctly THE depl# for that Gun is 7 and adult has not p onthe # it gets three higher and as the USMC is Elite 1 higher again.
U.S.M.C. are not automatically Elite for purposes of Ammo Depletion Numbers, and there is no SSR saying they are in that scenario. So the 37mm has C10 - still pretty good.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
poor Ted rolled up an 11 for the first shot. gun was well placed and the canister would have been devastating. not that he needed the help ;)

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
poor Ted rolled up an 11 for the first shot. gun was well placed and the canister would have been devastating. not that he needed the help ;)
Since he hurt that foot it has been all downhill.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Played Fuller's Folly [AP135] last Sunday against neighbor Derek (Ritter). This is one of Pete Shelling's shopping list scenarios where the defender buys non-FDA approved supplements to his OB.

There was little time for Derek's Amis to take the hill which obviated the shortest approach. However, I spread out just in case the Americans do a student body right but was able to concentrate just in time to stop the assault. I bought some HIP and concealments given that the area of attack is so wide it would be shear chance that the mines and wire would pose much of an obstacle. Anyway, I have a habit of forgetting my minefield locations and end up moving onto them myself.

The battle will culminate on turns five and six as all the six morale American units advance to face German prep fire from their eight morale units with Height Advantage. ROAR is 2 Germans wins versus three American wins. I am curious how this scenario will end up over time. The scenario plays quickly, two to three hours, and is all infantry with two German 81mm mortars. Hand Grenades used by the Americans' strong pitching staff are added chrome.