So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played A4 Beyond the Blue Beach as the attacking Germans. Decent scenario. Definitely old school. Ten(!) turns for the Germans to either get two tanks (of four) off the playing area for an instant win, or one by game's end as long as they have more CVP than the Americans. With so many turns, I took it very slow. I concentrated on the two American ART pieces and succeeded in knocking both out (one to a long range tank MG shot on a loaded truck and the other to a CR MC roll). I stayed at least four hexes away from suspected BAZ locations (anything with two pieces topped by a concealment) and crept my tanks up. By turn four I was in position for a one move win. The Americans had one of the aforementioned stacks next to a wooded road at the edge of the playing area. I knew where one BAZ was due to a fumble by my friend when he moved a stack and toppled it. I was pretty sure about the locations of two others but not the last. I decided the hell with it and risked the move on turn 5. I figured he would need a 5 To Hit with all the modifiers so it was worth a try. If he got it, all the other tanks would have to run back two boards if my armor leader failed a TC before they could try again. I drove up and...nothing! It was a squad with a MMG trying to trick me while the other bazooka teams were working their way into position. Game.

I liked it because the Germans have so much time to chip away at the Americans and slowly work their way up. Ideally, if the Germans can take out the two ART pieces, they can move three tanks close for a one turn exit and risk a BAZ shot (something I thought about after the game). Even if the first tank gets taken out, the trailing armor leader should pass the TC and the other two can then exit. If not, with 10 turns, they can regroup and still have plenty of time to try again. Without the ART guns, the Americans are at a big disadvantage with so much ground to defend. Even with them, they need to find HEAT or a side shot to have a decent chance of taking out one of the MK IVs. Even though it is 10 turns long, it plays very fast. With a 70.5% win rate on ROAR for the Germans in 34 games, I'm not sure the American balance of adding three foxholes would really make any difference. Maybe adding one more BAZ (tougher) or deleting a couple of turns (more reasonable) might be better - but I wouldn't want to do that; having 10 turns (and not a ton of pieces) is what made it fun!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too Little, Too Soon FT257 Tunisia '42, meeting engagement. French must seize a good chunk of a village from a split German force. My Germans got flanked right away, but I got a lucky shot off at a Renault truck with 2 squads aboard. 1,1! After that, lots of maneuver, I was pushed out of too many victory locations, and was tied on VP. My last turn counter attack got nowhere. French victory.

Basic, but quite fun scenario.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played two decent scenarios lately, the first a week ago I delayed in posting an brief AAR because of my poor performance, the one on this Monday was a nail biter with DR12 swings. Last week my weekly nemesis Curtis "Buzzsaw" Brooks and I had at J117 The Triangle. This was a must play scenario for me as the 128th Inf Regt, 32nd "Red Arrow" Division was my old unit (I had been with the 1st Bn though, not the 2nd) and at one time I had been the Regimental Historian and am currently the Jr Vice Cdr of the Red Arrow Veteran's Assoc. In this playing I would have the IJA though, so a slight conflict of interest (and it showed). It's a quick playing scenario that has a relatively large American Army force trying to capture 3 IJA PBs. Though it would seem as if this would be a "bug hunt", it is not as the Japanese are severely restricted in their set up area and HIP PB locations that can be easily defended are at a premium. I failed to concentrate my PB positions and coupled with some horrendous DRs early (Malf'ed and disabled a LMG & MMG on turn 1, and the HMG gone on turn 2) it became an up-hill struggle right from the start. Though use of my SW totally failed me (the only WP attack I was able to manage created a U.S. hero) my units were fairly successful in CC (a single HS-eventually becoming a scriptie - eliminated 3 U.S. HS & a Sqd before going down). However poor positioning of the PBs eventually led to their piecemeal capture. A bloody little affair for both sides but the disappointment of seeing much of my available FP evaporate so quickly and subsequent lack of effective use from the remaining assets coupled with a less than adequate set up left me fairly dejected and rather embarrassed by my performance after the loss.

Our latest venue was WO1 French Toast & Bacon. I've really wanted to play this for some time and as of this posting it is dead even on ROAR after 80+ recorded playings. Again this is a smallish fast playing scenario but has a fair amount of German armor (Pz-IV's & Pz-V's) vs a small U.S. force backed by a couple of 76mm ATGs and a highly motivated 105mm offboard HOW; there's also an M-18 asset but its staying power is quite suspect as it must survive a TC each turn to remain on board (not to mention, it doesn't have the world's greatest armor). The game play as it turned out could accurately be called a duel of boxcars! On turn one a Pz-IV would fail a NMC with a DR of 12 & be RECALLED while his wing-man (Pz-IV) would Malf his MA on its 1st BF shot. The M-18 would exact a little more pain from my German force destroying the remaining Mk-IV before being RECALLED on U.S. turn 1, departing the field post haste with an ineffectual parthian shot as his remaining contribution to the defense. In the median turns I would find and OVR one ATG killing its crew for FTR while Curtis would get an UK on the traveling Mk-IV MG pillbox with a BAZ (he would eventually recover though). The 105 however would be a PITA, slamming my meager infantry force and getting a side hit on a Panther but fortunately for me it did no harm [Skeert me though!]. On the last turn I was able to garner an immediate win by moving into the VC hexes despite getting two side hits on my Panthers (both TH DRs double 2's, followed by effects DR's 12) and a little help from my moveable PB tying up his last ATG. A very fun, fast and tense game with a much needed win for me to ausage my wounded pride from a previous string of losses and poor showings. [Hey! I'll take lucky!]

Last edited:

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Played two decent scenarios lately, the first a week ago I delayed in posting an brief AAR because of my poor performance, the one on this Monday was a nail biter with DR12 swings. Last week my weekly nemesis Curtis "Buzzsaw" Brooks and I had at J117 The Triangle. This was a must play scenario for me as the 128th Inf Regt, 32nd "Red Arrow" Division was my old unit (I had been with the 1st Bn though, not the 2nd) and at one time I had been the Regimental Historian and am currently the Jr Vice Cdr of the Red Arrow Veteran's Assoc. In this playing I would have the IJA though, so a slight conflict of interest (and it showed). It's a quick playing scenario that has a relatively large American Army force trying to capture 3 IJA PBs. Though it would seem as if this would be a "bug hunt", it is not as the Japanese are severely restricted in their set up area and HIP PB locations that can be easily defended are at a premium. I failed to concentrate my PB positions and coupled with some horrendous DRs early (Malf'ed and disabled a LMG & MMG on turn 1, and the HMG gone on turn 2) it became an up-hill struggle right from the start. Though use of my SW totally failed me (the only WP attack I was able to manage created a U.S. hero) my units were fairly successful in CC (a single HS-eventually becoming a scriptie - eliminated 3 U.S. HS & a Sqd before going down). However poor positioning of the PBs eventually led to their piecemeal capture. A bloody little affair for both sides but the disappointment of seeing much of my available FP evaporate so quickly and subsequent lack of effective use from the remaining assets coupled with a less than adequate set up left me fairly dejected and rather embarrassed by my performance after the loss.

Our latest venue was WO1 French Toast & Bacon. I've really wanted to play this for some time and as of this posting it is dead even on ROAR after 80+ recorded playings. Again this is a smallish fast playing scenario but has a fair amount of German armor (Pz-IV's & Pz-V's) vs a small U.S. force backed by a couple of 76mm ATGs and a highly motivated 105mm offboard HOW; there's also an M-18 asset but its staying power is quite suspect as it must survive a TC each turn to remain on board (not to mention, it doesn't have the world's greatest armor). The game play as it turned out could accurately be called a duel of boxcars! On turn one a Pz-IV would fail a NMC with a DR of 12 & be RECALLED while his wing-man (Pz-IV) would Malf his MA on its 1st BF shot. The M-18 would exact a little more pain from my German force destroying the remaining Mk-IV before being RECALLED on U.S. turn 1, departing the field post haste with an ineffectual parthian shot as his remaining contribution to the defense. In the median turns I would find and OVR one ATG killing its crew for FTR while Curtis would get an UK on the traveling Mk-IV MG pillbox with a BAZ (he would eventually recover though). The 105 however would be a PITA, slamming my meager infantry force and getting a side hit on a Panther but fortunately for me it did no harm [Skeert me though!]. On the last turn I was able to garner an immediate win by moving into the VC hexes despite getting two side hits on my Panthers (both TH DRs double 2's, followed by effects DR's 12) and a little help from my moveable PB tying up his last ATG. A very fun, fast and tense game with a much needed win for me to ausage my wounded pride from a previous string of losses and poor showings. [Hey! I'll take lucky!]
Good one, played WO1 as the US & lost on the last DR w/11 TH roll

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeff Buser and I had a go at A61 Across the Wire.

A short AAR is available at my blog:

Cardboard Warrior

Thanks for reading.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Yesterday I played FT255 Papers Tigers against my cousin Mikko Lukkari.

I suggested this scenario since I have been fascinated by the Italian made PzKpfw P26/40(i) in German service and I ave been looking for a scenario featuring this AFV for the last 20 years. Naturally I was delighted to find two scenarios featuring this AFV in LFT 14. Since this was the smaller of the two we chose it out Thursday evening after work game.

We diced for the sides and I got the partisan. With 5 L3/35 tankettes and lone AB 41 AC I was sure I could not win the armor battle as the P26 was way better than any of this. The Germans can lose the scenario in three different ways- at the gama end if Partinsan controls two out of three ground level stairwell locations in building 45J3 or losing both tanks or losing 10 VP of infantry

So I sent the trucks around to board 45 and used the 337 squads to approach the victory building from behind the wall thru 45O1/P1 area - my opponent did not set up anyone in upper levels so managed a maximum move. The tankettes and AC along with their rider halfsquads went through board 20 and approached the 45J3 building containing the victory locations form the opposite direction.

On the far end one of the German tanks took a HD position behind the wall I was hoping to use as cover. On the board 20 side the other tank moved into position which was too much forward - could move the BAZ into two hex range and as the tank tried to move away I hit and killed this tank. I also managed to get the PF toting (the partisan can designate one squad having two PF) 337 within two hexes of the another which was HD - I missed bot shots so there went my change to instant victory.

It was looking that I got nowhere so I decided to bring the AC front to blast German positions with 12 FP shots - as the German had lost one tank I had some freedom with the crappy Italian AFVs. At least a hopefully burning wreck would give me some extra cover....

My opponent did not shoot the AC with PF but did with MG. He killed the AC, and managed to get out my vehicle crew. Since I thought I might tie the LMG nest into a melee if I was lucky I advanced the crew upon the MG nest. I survived the first CC and then managed to withdraw by rolling snakes into the adjacent victory location ! This threw the German defense out of balance and I never lost the middle victory location. By the end of my last move there were melees in all other Victory locations. I won two of them and the German counter attack never materialized as the melee casualties put the German player the 10 VP limit.

I think this one is more challenging for the German as there are 3 ways to lose the scenario. Our game was only the second game to be reported to ROAR. Still we had a lot of fun, not a bad scenario for its size.

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yesterday I played FT255 Papers Tigers against my cousin Mikko Lukkari.

I suggested this scenario since I have been fascinated by the Italian made PzKpfw P26/40(i) in German service and I ave been looking for a scenario featuring this AFV for the last 20 years. Naturally I was delighted to find two scenarios featuring this AFV in LFT 14. Since this was the smaller of the two we chose it out Thursday evening after work game.

We diced for the sides and I got the partisan. With 5 L3/35 tankettes and lone AB 41 AC I was sure I could not win the armor battle as the P26 was way better than any of this. The Germans can lose the scenario in three different ways- at the gama end if Partinsan controls two out of three ground level stairwell locations in building 45J3 or losing both tanks or losing 10 VP of infantry

So I sent the trucks around to board 45 and used the 337 squads to approach the victory building from behind the wall thru 45O1/P1 area - my opponent did not set up anyone in upper levels so managed a maximum move. The tankettes and AC went through board 20 and approached the 45J3 building containing the victory locations form the opposite direction.

On the far end one of the German tanks took a HD position behind the wall I was hoping to use as cover. On the board 20 side the other tank moved into position which was too much forward - could move the BAZ into two hex range and as the tank tried to move away I hit and killed this tank. I also managed to get the PF toting (the partisan can designate one squad having two PF) 337 within two hexes of the another which was HD - I missed bot shots so there went my change to instant victory.

It was looking that I got nowhere so I decided to bring the AC front to blast German positions with 12 FP shots - as the German had lost one tank I had some freedom with the crappy Italian AFVs. At least a hopefully burning wreck would give me some extra cover....

My opponent did not shoot the AC with PF but did with MG. He killed the AC, and managed to get out my vehicle crew. Since I thought I might tie the LMG nest into a melee if I was lucky I advanced the crew upon the MG nest. I survived the first CC and then managed to withdraw by rolling snakes into the adjacent victory location ! This threw the German defense out of balance and I never lost the middle victory location. By the end of my last move there were melees in all other Victory locations. I won two of them and the German counter attack never materialized as the melee casualties put the German player the 10 VP limit.

I think this one is more challenging for the German as there are 3 ways to lose the scenario. Our game was only the second game to be reported to ROAR. Still we had a lot of fun, not a bad scenario for its size.
Do you feel that if the German had not lost the first tank by "over-extending" itself, it would have been a tighter ending? I have this on my playlist and would like to know if you feel this is an uphill battle for the German.

asloser

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Do you feel that if the German had not lost the first tank by "over-extending" itself, it would have been a tighter ending? I have this on my playlist and would like to know if you feel this is an uphill battle for the German.
If the German is careful with his armour I think it is doable. You need to remember that I was very lucky with the crew messing up the defence and still I only won on the last turn.

I would be happy to try my luck with the Germans.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the German is careful with his armour I think it is doable. You need to remember that I was very lucky with the crew messing up the defence and still I only won on the last turn.

I would be happy to try my luck with the Germans.
Thanks. Yes, I'm guessing the crew probably rolled a "3" or some such low number as crew survivability of the Italian AC would be pretty tough. Thanks for the very nice AAR. I think I am going to give this one a try.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alcazar! FT259 Poland '39. German force- panzers, A/C and motorized infantry must get a toe hold on good old board 12. The Germans can come from many directions, but the Poles have 40mm Bofors Guns, and tank and infantry reinforcements. The first German group- all panzers came on board 44, followed by the motorcycle infantry. The big infantry group, with the rest of the panzers came onto board 42. The Germans were making progress against my Poles, and their 81mm was just getting started. My Bofors crew to the south of the church was broken and DM, so my opponent drove a Pz1 and a Pz 2 up to the gun to finish them off. They survived the tsunami of 20mm and 7.92, self rallied, and proceeded to burn the Pz 2, and KO the Pz1!
This was the German high water mark. They took the church, and made a decent run at the marketplace, but could not clear out the 10-2.

Good scenario. Nice to be back on board 12.

asloser

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Alcazar! FT259
I have been eyeballing this one but I've wondered if the completely random timing and entry of Polish reinforcents is a good thing. So I have not made up my mind about playing it. What is your insight, does this work well?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you recall what turn, what board edge?
1st Panzer group onto 44, and the motorcycle group a turn later.

2nd panzer group onto 42,- on turn 2, I think, with the truckborne Infantry on turn 3??? I think.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It worked for us. I wondered about that too..
I like most Fog of War elements added to scenario designs. keeps everyone on edge and makes for difficult decisions to consider for both sides. have to add to list

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I like most Fog of War elements added to scenario designs. keeps everyone on edge and makes for difficult decisions to consider for both sides. have to add to list
I dislike random entry of reinforcements.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dislike random entry of reinforcements.
I think it's all in how they're presented within the time-frame of the scenario. If for example a reinforcement is delayed due to a random dr/DR but at the same time it increases the opponents vulnerability to counterattack or lessens the distance they might have to travel to enter the fray as time progresses this can work well. Delay of reinforcements predicated upon scenario events (a.l.a. U4 CLIMAX AT NIJMEGEN) are less common in scenarios but can provide a driving factor for either side to achieve or preclude a circumstance within a scenario but may invoke some consternation at the price of achieving that objective at too heavy a cost too early in the scenario. I suspect it is just easier on a designer to allocate reinforcements on a specific turn to achieve "game" balance. JMHO of course.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Feineisen Factor SP 99 Germany, '45. An alternate title would be, "Kill the JgTigers" American tank and infantry force must immo, or kill all hull down JgTigers on board 41. My opponent had the 4 JgTigers paired up, with plenty of Volkgrenadiers in between. I sent half my force up the middle, and 1/2 on a flanking move to the north. I almost failed my PMC on turn one. I lost two Shermans to long, hindered shots where a 3 or less was needed to hit. And a hit with the 128L is a kill.....
Then it cost me 5 more Shermans and a Grayhound to kill off the first 2 JgTigers. I decided to change tactics and went after the 3rd, JgTiger- who was now semi-isolated, with infantry. It helped that as hot as the dice were for the Tigers, the Volksgrenadiers could not pass a M/C to save their lives. The last JgTiger fought hard, but was surrounded from 360 degrees. American win. I had 2 Shermans left at the end....
Nice metal fest.