So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ve played recently this scenario and if I remember correctly it’s raining at scenario start.. so no smoke possible until rain stops... at least we played this way.
I just rechecked the scenario card. You are correct it is overcast with rain. Can't believe neither of us caught that!

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Additionally there is an extra MF per elevation change adding more difficult to go uphill

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A delayed report on a playing of RB6 TURNED AWAY this last Monday between myself (Russian) and Curtis "Buzzsaw" Brooks (German). Its a classic very small infantry only scenario taking place on the SE corner of the RB map group. Interestingly MMP has chosen to drop the errata for this scenario allowing the German dummies to set up in the gullies in non-concealment terrain. We chose to go with the previous errata though as without it the Germans are limited to setting up their dummies only in the southern most gully and we thought perhaps they had just forgot to update the scenario. As with most small scenarios this one is VERY dicey and 6.5 turns seems to be too long for the forces on hand should something go disastrous for one side or another (and a very good possibility of that). It is exactly what happened in our game as during one mid-game turn I had a lousy turn, not shooting for diddly and being unable to make a single MC while the "Buzzsaw" was hot including a killer sniper (with a SAN of 5, I did not get a single effective SAN roll with 7 opportunities all game). All in all a quite disappointing performance on my part as he swept my forces from the field rather rapidly and at a very low cost. Just not as much fun as I had remembered from a previous playing years ago.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
FrF 80 Breaking Bad is a fun scenario pitting the Dutch v IJA in the Dutch East Indies. ROAR has it pretty even. get to use the nifty BFP MG mounted trucks. the KNIL have to take buildings from the IJA. there are a heap of Dutch troops but they have weak ELR. we diced for sides and I got the IJA. the KNIL all entered along the west edge. looks closer to get into the village but it is pretty restricted terrain. the IJA was able to stuff the KNIL initial assault and then slowly gave ground. The KNIL ground forward taking buildings but IJA reinforcements were able to relieve the prisoner guards on the line so the Dutch came up short in spite of a furious last turn assault. fun scenario, would play it again as either side

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Alan Saltzman and I played Blazing Borders from the Stavka Archives. My 75 (yes, 75) squads and 12 tanks attacked his 24 Finnish squads in deep snow on the first day of the Winter War. The Finns put up a spirited and valiant defense but were unable to stand against the seemingly endless horde of Bolsheviks. Great game, though really big.
Fun to see this being played, have now played it almost 9 times against 8 different players, epic scenario if you want to play a large scenario, but avoid Campaign Games.
An AAR that went the full distance.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Snuck in two scenarios. The first was BFP-80 Ratushniak's Sacrifice. Wanting to finish up this Kursk campaign my friend and I have been playing, I moved my German units with way too much impetuousness. I pushed my guys hard and got them caught in a lot of kill zones. Sad to say, I didn't really care. I wasn't playing to lose, but I definitely was playing to move on so I took chances I normally wouldn't. We were halfway through the scenario when my fourth tank went down. I congratulated my friend for a fine defense, apologized to him for not giving it my best effort, and cheered that we were one scenario closer to moving on.

And move on we did, to BFP-81 Iron Coffins. Yikes! The Russians were slaughtered! We got through a turn and a half, about 3/4 of my tanks had yet to fire in the turn 2 PFPh, and roughly a third of the Russian tanks were destroyed. My friend called it at that point. All he was basically doing was watching me roll dice over and over. ROAR has it 84% pro German (on only 13 playings) but my question is: how did the Russians get even two wins? Did all the German guns malfunction? Well, I suppose a large all tank scenario was the appropriate way to end this Kursk foray.

So I ended up wining nine, losing four, and one called due to major screw ups on both sides during this Kursk campaign. They ended up playing out pretty much as their stats show in ROAR with me winning seven of the nine the Germans were favored in, taking one that was even prior to our recorded play, and winning one the Russians were favored in. Overall, I'd say this campaign (the first two days, and one a day prior to, Operation Citadel) was just OK. It kind of started off exciting, but my enthusiasm seriously waned as each scenario seemed like basically a rehash of the previous one. Move through open ground and/or wheat fields, deal with mines/pillboxes/trenches/wire/HIP Guns, and exit (in most scenarios) forces. The problem wasn't the scenarios, though. It was in the way we played them. Since we always stick to the same sides, I was the Germans the whole time. My fatigue with Kursk could have been abated somewhat had we switched sides each scenario. But as my friend would say, "Sacrilege!" Now on to mainland Italy for another short campaign. At least my Germans won't have to face any mines now. Oh wait, the first scenario is AP26 Flea Circus. The Italians get 18 mine factors. sigh

Last edited:

Curtis Brooks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A delayed report on a playing of RB6 TURNED AWAY this last Monday between myself (Russian) and Curtis "Buzzsaw" Brooks (German). Its a classic very small infantry only scenario taking place on the SE corner of the RB map group. Interestingly MMP has chosen to drop the errata for this scenario allowing the German dummies to set up in the gullies in non-concealment terrain. We chose to go with the previous errata though as without it the Germans are limited to setting up their dummies only in the southern most gully and we thought perhaps they had just forgot to update the scenario. As with most small scenarios this one is VERY dicey and 6.5 turns seems to be too long for the forces on hand should something go disastrous for one side or another (and a very good possibility of that). It is exactly what happened in our game as during one mid-game turn I had a lousy turn, not shooting for diddly and being unable to make a single MC while the "Buzzsaw" was hot including a killer sniper (with a SAN of 5, I did not get a single effective SAN roll with 7 opportunities all game). All in all a quite disappointing performance on my part as he swept my forces from the field rather rapidly and at a very low cost. Just not as much fun as I had remembered from a previous playing years ago.
I MIGHT have lost a HS as the Germans. Way too much firepower concentrated on the poor Russians.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I played AP100 COAL IN THEIR STOCKINGS. I think this is a challenging, fun scenario for both sides. Two reconnaissance forces fight for stone buildings, but with a VP twist. The Americans receive two points for each controlled stone building at the end of each game turn. The Germans receive three points for each stone building that they still control at game end. The Germans also have exit VP possible, but to me that is more a feature to limit the early American options rather than a realistic VP objective.

As the German side, I deployed one squad at start and a second squad during the first turn. I had one dummy vehicle. Magnus set up about two platoons with both HMC, AC and stuarts on board. Half of them attacked from north of the village. The other half moved to attack from the east. The rest of his forces used the turn two option. I lost a concealed PSK on turn 1 to a lucky 2 FP shot from an AC because the manning HS rolled a 12 on the MC. On turn two, I lost a broken 8-1 leader to a twelve rally roll. At least things evened out some when the German sniper took out an American 8-1 soon after. I used the mortar's smoke to limit the effectiveness of the American firepower coming from the north. On turn three, the American armour moved to challenge the German armour east of the village. The Germans destroyed three AFV at no loss to themselves. On turn four, the Germans gave up the most isolated stone building to consolidate in the village. The Puma forced a recall on the MMG HT and another American AFV was destroyed. On the fifth turn, when the American infantry moved into the east woods adjacent to the village, German defensive fire broke most of them. Magnus conceded early during the sixth turn.

The screen capture shows the situation at the end of American turn two.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Interesting. I played this recently as the Russian, against an experienced and solid German, and won handily.
It can easily go either way due to a "burst of luck", leaving the defeated player legitimally frustrated. It is not a very good scenario but it plays fast. Despite the volatility, I would have a preferance for the defending side.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interestingly MMP has chosen to drop the errata for this scenario allowing the German dummies to set up in the gullies in non-concealment terrain.
Why would you say this?
"German OB-given "?" may set up IN the gully." isn't clear?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why would you say this?
I do not believe it is entirely clear for its actual intent because in the southernmost Gully there are Rubble-Gully hexes (i.e. concealment terrain) and per A12.12 Dummy units may only be set up in concealment terrain. One could follow the letter of the SSR as well as A12.12 and arrive at the conclusion that the dummies must only be placed in the rubble hexes. A simple qualifier such as "...including in otherwise non-concealment." terrain would have avoided this confusion.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting. I played this recently as the Russian, against an experienced and solid German, and won handily.
Good to hear! I believe that my less than adequate set up (of course it could have always been better in retrospect) coupled with an absolutely disastrous turn about mid game leaving me with but a single unbroken MMC [EXC: The HQ elem], just knocked the wind out of me. I agree it's probably a poor performance on my part that led to the unequal end result rather than a poor scenario design. However, I stick to my position, it is a real dicey scenario.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Why would you say this?
I do not believe it is entirely clear for its actual intent because in the southernmost Gully there are Rubble-Gully hexes (i.e. concealment terrain) and per A12.12 Dummy units may only be set up in concealment terrain. One could follow the letter of the SSR as well as A12.12 and arrive at the conclusion that the dummies must only be placed in the rubble hexes. A simple qualifier such as "...including in otherwise non-concealment." terrain would have avoided this confusion.
The only concealment terrain in the German setup area (IN gully hexes on/west-of hexrow Y) is the brush in A39. Since the German OB-given "?" could already set up there using standard rules, one has to figure that the SSR allowing them to set up IN the gully must mean in any gully hex. It would have perhaps been nice if the SSR said, "any gully hex", but I think it is sufficient if not practically perfect.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only concealment terrain in the German setup area (IN gully hexes on/west-of hexrow Y) is the brush in A39. Since the German OB-given "?" could already set up there using standard rules, one has to figure that the SSR allowing them to set up IN the gully must mean in any gully hex. It would have perhaps been nice if the SSR said, "any gully hex", but I think it is sufficient if not practically perfect.

JR
Huh? The southernmost gully has rubble and brush gully hexes well within the German setup area and much closer to the potential action; not to mention the entire southern map area is in play even if the hex A39 is a bit away from any possible VC locations. If an SSR were to read something like "dummies must set up on hill hexes", would you think they could set up on in any hill hexes including OG?

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since the German OB-given "?" could already set up [in Concealment Terrain] using standard rules, one has to figure that the SSR allowing them to set up IN the gully must mean in any gully hex.
This seems fairly obvious.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Huh? The southernmost gully has rubble and brush gully hexes well within the German setup area and much closer to the potential action; not to mention the entire southern map area is in play even if the hex A39 is a bit away from any possible VC locations. If an SSR were to read something like "dummies must set up on hill hexes", would you think they could set up on in any hill hexes including OG?
With no SSR change, Concealment counters are in no way precluded from setting up IN Gullies as long as those Gully locations are also concealment terrain.
An SSR that states "Concealment counters may be set up IN Gully hexes." would be unnecessary if the intent was to allow only what the rules allow without an SSR. Therefore the SSR must alter the rule to allow something different from standard or the SSR is superfluous.
I would very strongly insist that concealment counters are allowed by this SSR to be set up in ANY Gully hex regardless of the presence or absence of other terrain, including concealment terrain.

If an SSR were written as per your example, "dummies must set up on hill hexes", I would contend they must set up in concealment terrain on hill hexes. If there were no concealment terrain hill hexes then I would question the SSRs intent.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If an SSR were written as per your example, "dummies must set up on hill hexes", I would contend they must set up in concealment terrain on hill hexes. If there were no concealment terrain hill hexes then I would question the SSRs intent.
The difference is that the set up instructions in "Turned Away" already say that the Germans must set up IN the gully. If the set up instructions in your hypothetical said that units set up on "hill 541" then an SSR said that OB-given "?" may (rather than must, because they already must because of the set up instructions) set up on hill hexes, that would be more near to the case in "Turned Away." I would not object if the SSR said that the OB-give "?" may set up on any hill (or gully for "Turned Away") hexes so as to avoid the "long think," but I think I would understand the implicit "any" (after scratching my head, wondering if the SSR was meaningless or not).

JR

Last edited:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played RB6 - Turned Away a couple of times in ASLOK minis, enjoyable scenario and well balanced in my opinion.

Not a classic with massive replay value like "To the Rescue", but I really enjoyed it both times.

Rich