So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I played scenario 203 HARD ROK. I had the attacking North Koreans. Bruno had an up-front defence and also moved some rear guys forward to meet the NK attack. He had bad luck with HBH and used his HIP BAZ crews against infantry; they never killed a tank. A lot of South Koreans were taken prisoner. His squad and HMG that were covering the bridge got taken out by a T34 CH. He conceded in the 6th turn with only one G.O. squad left.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Civil War ASL

West of Rock Creek, scenario 13 in the Civil War geomorphic series. Elite squads from the 7th Indiana vs a larger first line Confederate force probing Culpa Hill. My opponent split his forces into two wings of skirmishers and attacked my Union position from either flank. His superior numbers overcame my defenders and Culps Hill fell to Johnny Reb on July 1, 1863.
This would make a good introductory scenario for people just getting their feet wet in Civil War era ASL. Just 2 boards, infantry squads, leaders, and one flag bearer. No dealing with 16 flavors of artillery, cavalry, etc.

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
West of Rock Creek, scenario 13 in the Civil War geomorphic series. Elite squads from the 7th Indiana vs a larger first line Confederate force probing Culpa Hill. My opponent split his forces into two wings of skirmishers and attacked my Union position from either flank. His superior numbers overcame my defenders and Culps Hill fell to Johnny Reb on July 1, 1863.
This would make a good introductory scenario for people just getting their feet wet in Civil War era ASL. Just 2 boards, infantry squads, leaders, and one flag bearer. No dealing with 16 flavors of artillery, cavalry, etc.
could you post this in a forum that deals with that game, please ?

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wrapped up our Twin Cities ASL day with a playing of J182 Belgian Blitzkrieg as the defending Belgians against John Bock and his goose stepping Germans. Looking at ROAR in advance, we agreed it looked like the Belgians needed some help, so before we rolled for sides the Belgians got the balance (remove 8-1 ldr) and we also agreed to pull a 467. VCs were control two multi-hex buildings.

The Germans decided to NOT go for the Turn 2 instant win of controlling the Z6 building. In it were the 9-1, 458, 457, 2x237 and the HIP 47AT gun. Unfortunately for me, it left me little to do with these guys initially, but I soon got the two full squads and leader upstairs to plink away (some 2-2 and 2-3 shots) at the gaggle of forces doing the end-around move along the board edge. Turn 2 this paid off with a long range 1KIA, nabbing the 9-1 and 467 moving in woods bypass. I broke a couple other squads here and there to slow him down a bit, but the Germans were making progress mid-game on the board edge. I started to melt away a bit, as some shots broke 2.5 Belgian squads. I believe it was T4, I had 1.5 under DM the other squad not DM. The MMC SR got him (ELRed 437) back and the leader assisted got the other squad back on a 1,2. Huge as it allowed me to re-establish my center/left perimeter.

At this time, the SSR-allowed late entry troops (designated from the initial at-start OB) had entered on the south side at hexrow T -- 3x467s, LMG, 8-0. I was able to break a squad initially, but he was back quickly. Now they moved to enter the southern end of the village (Belgian right flank). I had wheeled out my 47AT from the bypassed building and got a CH, hit-rate, hit -- all with no effect. However, I did break one 467 of the three on a 4+1 from my 457. With this, and another 467 break on the Belgian left flank, and those crazy two squads at level 1 in the Z6 building continuing to hamper movement with long range shots, it appeared to the Germans they faced a difficult time making it to the needed village VC buildings. Plus, the Belgians were due to receive two AFV, 9-1 AL, 3.5 MMCs on bikes. At this, the Germans called off the attack and waited for reinforcements.

A fun scenario the Belgians could have just as easily lost. Rallying the two MMCs back in Belgian T4 was utterly huge. One has to wonder if the Germans can actually ignore capturing the Z6 building. It is so close to the German start line. Other things I am wondering is whether the Germans typically use the 2xtrucks to load up and zip into the Belgian backfield? Too, I do like the option to withhold up to five squad-equivalents for T3 entry. Regardless of the outcome, it is always a pleasure to visit with and play John, especially on a hot and steamy Minnesota summer day (Yes, they do occur!). Cheers, All.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played "Beaufort's Feast" (SP186) vs. Rick Reinesch at the Austin game day today. We diced for sides and I got the French. This was another of the games where Rick got Rick-rolled. His German tanks got to the victory area early, and immobilized one of the attacking French tanks, but soon two of the German tanks were knocked out. The S35 tanks were just superior. On the French right flank, he went for a three-tank swarm against two Somuas, which saw everyone miss on both sides at first, and then the S35s knocked out two of the panzers, leaving the third one running for its life. The big highlight on this flank was when the French OBA scored a critical hit on the German 7-0 platoon, which were the only soldiers contesting this area. One squad died and everyone else broke. Then were promptly surrounded and eliminated for failure to rout. In the meantime the German artillery was nowhere to be found, Rick having drawn two consecutive red cards. With no more need to clean up the right flank, the French swarmed and surrounded the other victory area. The only other major highlight in this time frame was the French 9-1 battle hardening to a 9-2. The remaining Germans were crushed. It went to the final turn, but the outcome wasn't much in doubt due to all that previous luck. I think the Germans have a good chance in this scenario if they don't have terrible luck. Just getting some OBA down to hold the French infantry back a little while would make a big difference. But that was literally not in the cards today. Vive la France!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J118 Elephants Unleashed as the attacking Germans. Based on the amount of recorded ROAR playings for both versions, this is a very popular scenario. I'm guessing Elephants vs SU-152s has something to do with this. Since this is my eighth Kursk scenario in row, I had two goals for this match: 1) Avoid any and all mines/wire, and 2) So far the scenarios we've played have been light on tank vs tank battles (which is weird since this is Kursk) so I wanted to have my tanks mix it up with his. Based on this line of thinking, I decided to totally avoid the village and just go with an exit victory. What occured was what I figured would happen. My friend tried to hit me on several angles with his tanks maneuvering for side shots. In the end, however, all he had to show for it was seven, i.e. all of his tanks, destroyed (five burning) vs one elephant and Pz III KOed and an immobilized Pz III. So how did I do with goal 1? I got greedy at one point and went after a side shot motion T-34 in the village. Yep, AT Mine immobilization. Oh well, I can live with that. Anyway, it took the full 5.5 turns to win the scenario. I took out the last T-34 on the bottom of turn 4. Because the Elephants are so frickin' slow, it took the next two turns to exit them. Had I failed one of the start up rolls, I would have lost. The first was easily made but the second was an 11. Phew! Fun scenario because of all the AFV destruction. I don't think going for an all out exit victory was the best strategy as I was pretty boxed in on the western side, but I'm kind of done with fortifications right now so I'm happy with my choice. Maybe avoiding them will this week will keep me fresh for next week when I'm facing yet another ton of fortifications. Probably not...

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RPT155 Schutzstaffel Shindig against Mark DeVries. Mark had the Germans I had the Russians. I rolled 4 "12"s on to hit attempts, 1 "12" on a TK attempt and one "12" on a MC. In one fire phase one of Mark's tanks firing at 4 Russian T-34s over 19 hexes away rolled 2 "2"s followed by a "3" on his TH attempts. Result is 3 flaming T-34s. I concede and since I am going on a long term work detail away from home until at least March-I think this is a good time to take a hiatus from ASL as well.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
RPT155 Schutzstaffel Shindig against Mark DeVries. Mark had the Germans I had the Russians. I rolled 4 "12"s on to hit attempts, 1 "12" on a TK attempt and one "12" on a MC. In one fire phase one of Mark's tanks firing at 4 Russian T-34s over 19 hexes away rolled 2 "2"s followed by a "3" on his TH attempts. Result is 3 flaming T-34s. I concede and since I am going on a long term work detail away from home until at least March-I think this is a good time to take a hiatus from ASL as well.
Nothing like finishing out on a high note.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ouch! And knowing Mark, he'll remember and hold it over you even upon your return!:rolleyes::D

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seoul Saving ASL 214 Korea, Spring '51. Massive nighttime ChiCom attack against the British. We both set up with an emphasis on the center. My ChiComs couldn't move out of their SSR required attack lanes, but the two sides were crowded against their attack lanes inner line. The Brits are also spread out by SSR. He planned on holding in the middle, then withdrawing that way. So..... My middle group took massive losses at the river's edge, and got nowhere. In the west sector, I was able to kill the Brit 8-0, so no starshells there, and I overran them. I made progress in the east, but not enough.... British Victory.
I think the biggest thing that led to my defeat was my over caution, especially trying to IPM around what starshells there were.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played BFP-76 Trial of the Infantry as the attacking Germans. The good news? I didn't run into any mines. The bad news? I got blistered before I could even get to them! I went all out for an eastern push hoping to then swing west and flank the pillboxes. Risky because the grain really slows things down. Taking three pillboxes and a dug in tank requires a lot of pushing. By mid game I had only taken out the dug in tank. The three pillboxes slowly revealed themselves with two of the three pointing towards the direction I was coming from, due east. I've played the same guy forever and we never question the CA of hidden guns and such, but when the third pillbox came out facing directly towards my guys, I called for a CA check. It was right. Between the Russian HMGs rattling off at least an extra two shots per (about what should happen) and then the 76L ART gun going on a six shot rate tear with three(!) CHs, my advance and then main forces got mauled. Certainly luck played some part in the win, but having two of three pillboxes facing directly towards my attack route sealed it. Too many broken guys and not enough time left so I called it with two turns left. A little tough on the Germans but by no means insurmountable. A tough challenge.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I played AP127 THE FIRST VIRTUE. Here is how to lose this scenario as the Germans. First, misunderstand the French entry area, causing you to give too much defense to the German left. Second, forget you have German reinforcements coming later, causing you to send some front units to the rear too soon. Lastly, have the French sniper break your AT gun crew after firing the gun only twice and then roll a twelve on their first rally attempt. Later, the French sniper also wounded the best German leader. I conceded on the sixth turn. I would like to try this scenario again with the German side played more intelligently.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I realized I have not bored you with my games in a month or so I decided to post a note on my games played late June –early days of July.

KGP06 Probing the Villas

It has been 10+ years since I last played on the KGP maps so this one bought back memories. I played German against Lauri Mattila. My setup was a bit too aggressive – I got some changes to hit hard on the first couple of turns but did not get the rolls I needed and he rolled over my defenses. I got a decent chage to hit him with my reinforcemnts as tha CVP gap was still doable, but when the King tiger missed couple of shots I failed my personal MC and gave up – with hindsight I should hung around for a turn or two as tha CVP gap was still reachable.

42 Point of No Return

Again I played the Germans against Lauri Mattila. The start of the game went badly as a sniper took out the 10-3, one of my 50L guns malfed on the first shot and the oter 50L and Pz III bagged only one Valentine. This mean that Lauri could pull back his initial force to the hillock almost intact and my assault turned out to be hopeless and I conceded after 5 turns. Lesson learned, you need to hit the British as good as you can at the beginning for this one to work out for the Germans

SP234 Teltow Two-Step

Next up was a quick Schwerpunkt action against Jarkko Autio. I was playing the Russian. I managed get good headway during the first turn despite some losses and kept the pressure on so that I was at the bridge before the exiting force was there. Jarkko tried to push through, but my forces close to the bridge held out comfortably and I scored a comfortable win. With a balanced German setup this one is tough on the Russian in my opinion – Jarkkos setup could have been better and still I had to take quite a big risk to get next to the bridge soon enough. I was also able to screen the King Tiger with Smoke from ISU-122 and then tie it up on an ineffective duel against an IS-2m.

FT251 The Last Drive

As we still had some time we decided to play a quick one from LFT14. I played German and set up the mines and heavy weapons to make sure that the direct route to victory area would be painful. Jarkko still came on directly and hit all my mines – at the same time two German 50mm mortars went into ROF rampage scoring couple of critical hits along the way – so by turn 2 he did not have anything to work with and he threw in the towel. I’d say the US player need to place the pre game shellholes to generate a path he can attack using the woods to the German right/US left as a sprigboard, the direct entry into the village is just too risky.

FT243 Send More Pigeons II

I played this one as the Allies against Eero Vihersaari. In our game I pushed hard from the beginning and lost a couple of US squads to his HIP traps – he had decided to try to reduce the smaller US force. I also used the British Carrier pretty aggressively to cut rout paths and inhibit Italian regrouping. Eero tried to hunt down the Carrier and managed to kill it – which pushed me over the CVP limit and Iost. A really different situation which I enjoyed, to get a good game out of this the Italian needs to consider his setup carefully.

164 Torment at Tormua

This was played against Keith Hill who was visiting Finland. You can find his AAR in the AAR section. Still a few Hakkaa Päälle! scenarios to go in their published form....

Last edited: