So what scenarios have you played Recently?

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Crossing the Morro from Lone Canuck

CM 1 - Half-Dressed and Bleary Eyed
and CM 2 -Bucko
Both are Canadians vs German in 1943 - Small 6 turn scenarios at night.
Games played very quickly - 3 hours each. I was the Canadians in both. Both Scenarios went down to the last Canadian turn
CM 1 - had the Canadians passed a Pin check in the last Defensive fire phase it would have had the Canadians take the Win
CM 2 - The Canadians were able to get the last German in to CC and survived the Return attack.
Crossing Moro is not getting much love on Roar - not sure why

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I played SP250 DARE-DEATH AND THE IRON DIVISION. With every Chinese squad being Dare-Death, the Japanese can suffer in CC. They do not have an overwhelming firepower edge. The Chinese roadblocks almost guarantee the two Japanese AFV will not exit. Playing the Japanese, I took too many early casualties to win.

Last edited:

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP133 Over The Hills: Unlike the previus scenarios this was Not, the Germans scenario to loose. The Poles set up in a very strong line of fortifications on commanding terrain. The Germzn must assault across some lower level hills climb the climb the slope and capture the hill and a bridge beyond. To aid in this task he has 3ea 88's mounted on 1/2 tracks, at range these 3 vehicles might as well be Tigers since they can out duel any AT weapon the poles have.

I set up to wreck Tom's infantry when they crested the lower hills and I did just that. Tom regrouped and got his armor on the hills, and pushed me off my crest line allowing his engineers and remaining infantry to crawl up the slope relatively unopposed and the secure the hilltop against my reverse slope defences. His halftracks then bounded forward against little opposition to secure the bridge. A close fight to the end, but the poles need the ATR in the balance or insanely lucky dice to really do anything other than annoy the armor. Overall a good scenario which I recommend. Up next ITR 12 Stosabowski Slapdown

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played CtR7 Desperate Hours. Can one overcome the feeling of boredom when playing on board 2? Yes as the scenario pits two sizeable forces in an intense attrition battle for the control of level 3 hill hexes. The Americans were gradually swept from their commanding heights but not before extracting a heavy toll on the attacking Japanese whose small mortars failed them in the smoke laying department. The US Sherman tank stood firm and was instrumental in breaking repeated assaults at PBR (he became Shock on turn 5 but recovered the next turn). The Japanese had drunk too much sake in preparation for the assault, as no less than 7 MMC became berserk over the course of the scenario, fatally overstepping their bounds. Not many US squads remained GO at game end, but they withstood the last defensive fire phase to advance again to the pinnacle for the win.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Today Steve W. and I spent our rainy Canada Day playing CtR16 Too Close For Comfort.

The Corregidor Map is very nice. The OBs look very nice on paper. The VC are easy to understand. There are only few special rules for playing on the map.

And yet.....we both agreed after playing to Turn 6 of 7 that there really was not much fun in this scenario. After the setup, the Americans will barely move, just man the overlook positions, skulk a bit and gain concealment, and blast the crap out of the Japanese. Their reinforcements will simply pour into the giant building from the back, without any real risk of interdiction. Their 3 MMGs and .50Cal directed by a 10-2 holed up in a stone building overlooking tons of open ground and brush, are just decimating the attackers.

There is a LV Hindrance (like Heavy Mist) in effect, and it is Overcast. Obviously we had Rain and then Heavy Rain falling after just a Turn or two, so all shots were now +2 at any range and +4 at 7+ ranges.

My Japanese managed to get into the barracks in force, mostly thanks to some setup errors on the US part and the heavy LVs. Then it just became trading shots at point blank range and getting into CC, seeing who would ambush and declare HtH, and roll some dice.

Tournament suitability - very low. Replayability - very low. Balanced ? Difficult to say, but against a solid US defense, I would never play this in a competitive game. A few ROF tears on the US MGs will simply evaporate the Japanese, and the CC that will inevitably decide the game (if you get there) are just some silly dice rolling.

A disappointing scenario, with far too little maneuver and suspense to keep us on our toes.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Radio X-Mas on June 29 against Scott R. Let me just say it was a complete mess-for reasons that had little to do with the actual scenario, it just seemed to be cursed since we picked it out back in February. We planned on playing in March but something caused us to cancel (can't recall why), April was out due to schedule conflicts, In May-Scott was sick and cancelled on me. So we finally got to playing on June 29th. The maps and counters had been sitting neglected on the gaming table for 3 months! Prior to starting the scenario, I make a trip to the hardware store to buy a new sink since I broke the existing sink when I was fixing the toilet and bumped the toilet tank lid into the sink which punched a nice hole in the porcelain of the sink, luckily the toilet tank lid did not break. On the hurried drive home, I find an injured box turtle in the road near the house. Being a bit of a tree hugger and having a soft spot for these really cool and somewhat rare turtles I put it in the car and brought it home. I spent my pre-scenario time trying to find a wild animal sanctuary that would take the turtle.

We started playing and I foolishly choose to move on the Italian right side of the board through the vineyards. Scott faked me out with his dummy placements and I was too distracted to give much thought to my board entry due to trying to help the turtle, my 4 year son trying to see the turtle and my dog trying to smell and lick the turtle. My second HUGE mistake was moving in stacks. I figured he couldn't do anything to me with his crappy partisans shooting at long range. I was wrong. The MMG set up on the hill directed by the 8-1 tore me up. He got a 2KIA on a stack consisting of 3 squads and the 10-2. Lucky for me the 10-2 just broke! He maintained rate and tore up more squads (I started moving individually at this point). Scott also caused my 9-1 to go berserk-no squads went with him so he went charging on by himself. Scott finally lost rate. I slogged through the vineyards but could not respond to his long range fire (the MMG squad was KIA). By the time the Americans arrived on board we figured that his tanks would be able to cross the river before my squads could. So I conceded. Scott got his revenge for the beating I inflicted on him in Riders on the Storm last year. I got him to concede on the third turn in that one-so my concession on turn 3 was a bit ironic.

I can't really say much about the scenario. I liked the 8 moral Italians, I as just too distracted by other things to give this one a good playing and Scott was just on fire with his dice.

Good news is the turtle made it to a wildlife rehabilitation center that was luckily located less than 10 miles from my house. They said it should be fine as long as it doesn't suffer from an infection, they would keep it until the wound healed. It's shell was split in half from its head to the middle of the back-it was pretty freaky looking. But it didn't damage any internal organs and the turtle was moving around.

So, life happened and interfered with ASL. We have Deutsch Lesson on deck for August-hopefully nothing comes up!

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played CTR7 tonight as the Jpn. Wanted to try it as previously I had won easily as the Amis.

My first turn Mtr had two smokes on turn 2 after I basically advanced on the board turn one and assembled it in the AMI turn one. My Jpn. lost only one 238 in turn one.

A Four 448/lmg firegroup had broken his concealed 9-1 leader and both MMGs in a 2S foxhole on my DFire (8+3 NMC) in the AMI turn one. They were on the thin three hex ridge looking down on me. My MTR put down two very helpful smokes on turn two, preventing the AMI HMG from laying a firelane down the road that I had to cross before running up the three level hill.

Things looked very good, indeed. My infantry made the thin ridge in force. The CCs on the thin ridge cleaned out the foxholed 666s, but at the cost of several Jpn. squad equivalents. A thrown AMI DC took out a squad and a leader in the carnage.

The next task would be to clear off the detached two level VC hexes. This is where things turned sour quickly.

The two hexes and level two adjoining hills were occupied by five squads, 8-1, HMG, Sherman and a 60mm MTR. The earlier broken 9-1/666/MMG/666/MMGs had recovered and covered the back approach to the two, mostly crested VC hexes.

That was way too much firepower and basically shot the JPN infantry to pieces in a one-sided firefight.

A now smokeless mortar did shock the Sherman, but it immediately recovered and I resigned.

The Amis just seem to have way too much firepower, the Sherman, two 60mm mortars, HMG, two MMGs, two -1 leaders in foxholes overlooking a lot of open ground.

It is on my dog pile.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My second HUGE mistake was moving in stacks. I figured he couldn't do anything to me with his crappy partisans shooting at long range. I was wrong.
That is and will always be the first mistake in any ASL game. Worse than misreading the VC or setup instructions.....

You just have to tell yourself time and time again.....the extra 2 hexes of distance covered will never offset the 8 hexes you fall behind when getting broken/KIAd on a long range shot. Resist the temptation. CX single MMC only.

Thanks for looking after the turtle.

TomAbromaitis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Tom
Country
llUnited States
Starting TM scenario #3 of Lone Canuck's Hell's Highway tonight. Germans have lost 3 Panthers so far. The armour seems really crucial in this one.

I'm enjoying it, but it is VERY AFV heavy. More halftracks than I know what to do with.

Reactions: Roy

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP56 Quagmire against Paul Chamberland over several VASL sessions for our round 3 VASL League game. This has been on my playlist for a long time, but the size was always a bit of an issue. This Sino-Japanese Magnus Opus pitted some 40+ attacking Japanese squad equivalents against my ~31 Chinese squads. Each side had a few guns and the Japanese a FT. This really plays as three scenarios in one and is a very interesting design. We made it through 5 turns before the Chinese conceded upon losing ~7 squads in the turn from hell to the Japanese 0.5 squads. From that there was no way back and it was just a matter of time. It was a very frustrating outcome for all the "work" and time we put into the game. Paul played a masterful game and was a banzai machine -- as one would expect from such a good player. I am not sure I did anything horribly wrong tactics-wise, but sometimes we just have games like that. I wish Paul the best in his next rounds!

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP56 Quagmire against Paul Chamberland over several VASL sessions for our round 3 VASL League game. This has been on my playlist for a long time, but the size was always a bit of an issue. This Sino-Japanese Magnus Opus pitted some 40+ attacking Japanese squad equivalents against my ~31 Chinese squads. Each side had a few guns and the Japanese a FT. This really plays as three scenarios in one and is a very interesting design. We made it through 5 turns before the Chinese conceded upon losing ~7 squads in the turn from hell to the Japanese 0.5 squads. From that there was no way back and it was just a matter of time. It was a very frustrating outcome for all the "work" and time we put into the game. Paul played a masterful game and was a banzai machine -- as one would expect from such a good player. I am not sure I did anything horribly wrong tactics-wise, but sometimes we just have games like that. I wish Paul the best in his next rounds!
Paul is an excellent player. Graduate of the Bendis/Wiersma finishing school. :)

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tatra Salad SP 191 Slovak Rebellion, '44. Slovak lightweights and escaped French prisoners must keep a thrown together Panzer force from clearing out the little village on board 50, and getting two 105mm guns to a level 2 hex. This was a game of two halves, with the Germans coming onto board 2, and plowing through the French. My Marder only claimed one Pz 4, before the return fire killed him off. It took all the LT vz 35s to take out the StuG and his Panzerschreck toting friends. The rout finally ended at the junction of all 4 boards. The last Pz 4 fell to an MOL, and the Allied defense held. Not that the Tiger didn't continue to burn through things, but there was only one Tiger and a lot of Slovaks left, thanks to their French friends. Allied victory. Fun scenario.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played RPT86 No Quarter Requested. A fast-paced, 4.5 turns scenario pitting Japanese and Philipinos. Reinforcements entering multiple board edges make it very lively but also very dicy as Philipinos benefit from the CC bonus as well. Since there are a lot of VC hexes and a HIP, the Japanese player should comb the area pretty extensively with few troops, which makes it tricky. A couple of Japanese rolling boxcars while the 9-2 philipino rolling well with his MMG pretty much sealed the game. Fun scenario

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BUSTING THE BOCAGE from the March Madness 2012? Double blind pack. I REALLY like the concept of this. I had NO idea what the Germans had. AS IS, Wayne failed a personal MC when I captured 2 squads, interrogating both. The conscript said NADA but the 447? He told me where a HIP 50L was...adjacent to 2 of my squads.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BUSTING THE BOCAGE from the March Madness 2012? Double blind pack. I REALLY like the concept of this. I had NO idea what the Germans had. AS IS, Wayne failed a personal MC when I captured 2 squads, interrogating both. The conscript said NADA but the 447? He told me where a HIP 50L was...adjacent to 2 of my squads.
Fun scenario. Well played by making the Germans squeal. Don't forget to ROAR it! I lost it as the Germans the old fashioned way...by losing all my squads in CC.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Canicatti BFP HOW 2/ J51 (To be clear, we played the Journal 3 version, but, the only difference was a slight upgrade to one US Leader...) Sicily '43. US must have no good order panzergrenadiers at level X or higher. Board configuration is neat too, 20 and 15. My Shermans and 6-6-7s came on mostly in the east, and got off their tanks early. But I still lost a whole squad to the HMG. After that I dodged from wall to wall. The Germans need APCR in this one, or to go on an ROF tear with the PaK 38s. The ROF tear happened, but the TK dice were not kind to my opponent. One APCR shot, ONE. (Which did work as advertised.) The Shermans then blasted away at the PF less huns. Even so this went to the last turn to get all the way up the hills and end the thing. American Victory.

Interesting how much the date impacts this; red THs for the Shermans, and no WP or Smoke. The Germans are PF and ATMM free.

Reactions: Roy

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP66 Cat's Cradle as the attacking Germans. It could have been over quickly but my friend made a critical mistake. I was going to drive my loaded halftracks up the western side of the map risking four bog checks each in order to get my infantry close early. A very calculated (foolish?) risk but I didn't think my friend would expect me risking all the bog checks so I figured he'd leave that side unprotected by an AT Gun. Turns out he didn't. However, I moved my panthers on first at 13I10 and he couldn't resist trying for a side shot on the lead tank driving on the elevated road. He missed, didn't get rate, my panthers rolled on, and I ended up taking the longer road route through the center with my halftracks stopping them behind cover. Losing those loaded halftracks would not only have cost me men, but the Germans need to have more mobile vehicles than the Russians at game's end. The rest of the game was a grind as mines, OBA, and wire slowed the eastern push. The Russians fell back but my vehicles caused several FTR casualties whittling down his force. Still, most of my men were on the eastern side and by the top of turn 5 (of 6.5) I still hadn't gained a single victory building (9 needed). I got more aggressive due to time constraints and smashed the lead elements of the eastern defense (thank you FT tanks!) taking four buildings in one fell swoop. Facing an overwhelming amount of units ready to push forward the next two turns, my friend called it. Skewing pro German on ROAR, I think it is actually closer than the record shows. If my friend had only been a bit more patient with that AT Gun...

Last edited:

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark, you seem to have forgotten to mention the wicked HIP ambush I inflicted on your moving STACK of 9-1, .50 Cal HMG, MMG, and 2 squads that I turned into a fine pink mist when I revealed my HIP 8-1, MMG and squad in an adjacent hex.

The German flanks completely collapsed and the above ambush happened well behind the front line at the time. It paid to hold my fire. End of the day-there were just too damn many Americans and not enough Germans to piece together a credible defense. Oh, the Recall on one of his tanks from a "1" sniper was also nice.

I liked to concept of the scenario but I just wasn't really in the mood to play the defender in a bocage fight. I actually enjoyed just shooting the breeze before and after the game. We have Schutzstaffel Shindig up next. I'm looking forward to that.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP2 Storm of Steel as the attacking Germans. I think this is the first time I ever used "goliaths" (SSR modified from the real ones). Well, I screwed up thinking that I could move them and then detonate them immediately when I was done (no clue why I thought that). Based on that thinking, and the fact that my friend set up very strong to the east, I put everything on the west to try for an exit victory. When I realized what I planned was wrong, move the goliaths in pairs to clear out the known minefield and then move everything up that turn, the next turn I drove one of the StuGs through one of the non cleared minefields and luckily cut a trailbreak through it. Slow going as I was committed to the west giving my friend plenty of time to readjust to meet me. Another slow Kursk grind but progress was steady. About halfway through the scenario I began to suffer from fortification fatigue as I entered yet another minefield again slowing me down. Around that time I rolled three twelves in a row - two on 20 FP shots - failed a P. Sh with one of the elephants, and pretty much missed every MC roll no matter how insignificant. I was still in a position to win regardless, but after seven hours and faced with the prospect of our third scenario in a row going two weekends, I decided to hang it up. I counted the points and I had a chance of getting over 80 points (75 for the win), but my heart just wasn't in it anymore. My friend and I made a commitment to play the first two days of Kursk, me as the Germans and he as the Russians, and I'm starting to regret it. Seven scenarios to go with tons of mines, wire, trenches, pillboxes, etc., ahead is starting to get old. When we revisit this campaign, I think we'll bite off a smaller chunk. The scenario taken by itself, however, is good.

Last edited:

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark, you seem to have forgotten to mention the wicked HIP ambush I inflicted on your moving STACK of 9-1, .50 Cal HMG, MMG, and 2 squads that I turned into a fine pink mist when I revealed my HIP 8-1, MMG and squad in an adjacent hex.

The German flanks completely collapsed and the above ambush happened well behind the front line at the time. It paid to hold my fire. End of the day-there were just too damn many Americans and not enough Germans to piece together a credible defense. Oh, the Recall on one of his tanks from a "1" sniper was also nice.

I liked to concept of the scenario but I just wasn't really in the mood to play the defender in a bocage fight. I actually enjoyed just shooting the breeze before and after the game. We have Schutzstaffel Shindig up next. I'm looking forward to that.
Fake news. Didn't happen. ONLY the good things happen my men never get ambushed or surprised

Signed friend and opponent with a death wish.