So what scenarios have you played Recently?

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Zboiska Heights BFP 131 - I wanted to like this scenario when I set up. I uses the double wide boards which I love, and it has a lot of terrain which I also love. But, I hated it from the very beginning. Tom and I have agreed to attempt every scenario in the PiF pack so we gave this one a try this morning. Two design choices really killed my vibes on this one from the beginning. First, the long charge by the northern force of poles under the guns of the Germans and Second, these really cool trucks which have no place to go and have to skulk onto the board because they come in right under the guns of the German.

The scenario was over on Polish Player Turn 1. Tom killed 50% of my leadership on game turn one including 2/3 of the northern groups leaders. Really wasn't any point in continuing.

After I conceded, Tom and I talked about the scenario. He feels, on the northern side the pole should just wait for the artillery to cycle then commence the death march. Of course, that means I have a bunch of green guys an entire turn behind with a mountain to climb. We really couldn't come up with anything good to say about the southern attack force. It's a power house, but has no space.

The Polish balance is little help, a dm80 Mtr. I would like to see the Polish southern forces entry be changed to Enter on Turn 1 or later. Giving the Poles time to carve out some space. Then. the truck might have some value. As disappointed as this scenario is I think I would still play it as the Pole again to see if any of the points Tom and I discussed actually make a difference. Up Next Steel Garden which at first blush looks to fall into the same bucket as this one.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today I got in the first game of the new Winter Offensive pack, I played WO31 Ma Deuce Delivers against my brother Teemu Lukkari.

This is in my opinion a good one with a lot of action packed into a compact package. I think I want to give it another go to get a proper playing of this later.
IMO, this is what makes a great scenario design, and usually one of the goals.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
This is in my opinion a good one with a lot of action packed into a compact package. I think I want to give it another go to get a proper playing of this later.
You should. Both sides live in fear in this one due to the weapons they face, which requires precise play. A nail-biter

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes the gun could set up there HIP with WA per J8 errata. Since it is bocage you can drop out of LOS after firing, assuming the enemy has no LOS that avoids bocage. In that particular hex it is not a gimmie.

JR
Well lots of good discussion, so I'm happy. And a still fairly even ROAR record.

I have seen as many losses as victories by German players who thought the exit stage right was the easier path to victory. Going for the town at least offers a chance to rally and try again after you get up shot up the first time, and fewer places for the paras to skulk once the SP guns start pounding the buildings.

Last edited:

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Well lots of good discussion, so I'm happy. And a still fairly even ROAR record.

I have seen as many losses as victories by German players who thought the exit stage right was the easier path to victory. Going for the town at least offers a chance to rally and try again after get up shot up the first time, and fewer places for the paras to skulk once the SP guns start pounding the buildings.
What about hey didle didle right up the middle?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One Last Mighty Hew FrF 49 Russia '41. The Fascist Invader must take the hexes around a crossroads on FrFA and some more hexes, on a hill, on bd50. I made good progress on FrFA, and benefited from the KV1 immo'ing itself. I was able to repel a counterattack there. However, I ran out of time on 50, even with the last Flamingo burning it's way onto the hill. Good scenario. And one of the very few Pz 2 flamethrower tank scenarios out there.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the old classic DASL 7 With Flame and Shell over two weekends. Interesting revisiting this scenario after first playing it forever ago. Back then, we pretty much put everything up front and went toe-to-toe. The defender usually took a heavy beating. No subtlety. Now we play with much more finesse. Using the units and terrain to funnel and dictate movement, choosing mutually supporting pockets of resistance, moving more than prep firing, skulking, smoke, etc. just to name a few. With 10 turns, the Germans have plenty of time (maybe too much time) to achieve their objectives - especially on deluxe boards. As the Germans, I used my tanks conservatively; only moving them up after the infantry secured likely HIP locations. Having to maintain a 50 CVP lead, I didn't want to have to make up six points losing one of them to one of the six hidden Russian guns. Plus, to lose a 30FP FT tank would just be so painful! They did their job, though, and the FT tanks took out strongpoints as needed. By turn five, the Russians were at the breaking point. I then flanked a major strongpoint taking out a bunch of Russians. It went downhill for them after that and we ended it early. Fun revisiting this classic and seeing how much our game has evolved.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLSK #3 / S 021 Clash at Borisovka, second meeting.

Rules for the tanks are absolutely new territory for me and quite extensive.

On the way to full ASL.....
If I could make a recommendation, pick up MMP's "Out Of The Attic II", some great articles on utilizing armor; also highly recommended is Journal 8 if you can find a copy.

ASLAddict

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
If I could make a recommendation, pick up MMP's "Out Of The Attic II", some great articles on utilizing armor; also highly recommended is Journal 8 if you can find a copy.
Thanks, I bought "Out Of The Attic II" some time ago.
I'm still trying to find Journal 8.

Last edited:

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Acts of Defiance vs. Brian Wiersma. I was the Soviet and made a game of it but alas, in the end he swamped me.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP 132 Steel Garden: Tom and I continued our Sunday PiF play through with Steel Gardens. We've dedicated ourselves to playing every scenario, otherwise this one would have remained unplayed as there is very little to interest me with this design. It is the German's scenario to loose. I attempted to delay Tom's infantry then withdraw back into the victory buildings. This was risky since I have only 3 leaders and then entire width of a board to cover with little to do it with. So I moved my initial defense back further and tried to maximize my available deception to keep Tom from charging with his overwhelming (number and quality) armor. It worked, but in the end it wasn't enough. The Poles AT assets failed miserably with the AT gun breaking on the first shot, the ATR and MG unable to find the kill numbers. The The polish armor is woefully out classed and though they accounted for one or two of the Panzers it was not nearly enough to prevent them from running around in the polish backfield. I managed to hold out until the next to the last turn but it wasn't really in doubt.

I love the BFP offerings and if you see something here that interests you play, but like BFP 131 it is far from my favorite in this pack. Next up: BFP133 Over The Hills! A king of the hill scenario with really cool boards. We'll see how it goes!

Grumblejones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have posted my AAR of the Texas Team Tournament at my blog:

Cardboard Warrior

Many pictures, please check it out.

Thanks for reading.
Awesome...wish I could have been there. Work is beating me up as I finish moving all production from China to Thailand. Tariffs...so much fun...hope our paths will cross again sooner than later!

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played SP272 Statue of Liberty Attacks with US balance. While the scenario design and board configuration are fairly original, there are too many AT assets on the Japanese side to make it an even match. While the infantry did well to move by leaps and bounds, none of the US vehicles exited off board and without them the infantry could not achieve the final exit push. It did not help that the M5A1s rolled a lot of boxcars in 1.5 turns that crippled them for the rest of the scenario.

Last edited: