So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FT254 (Insurrection at Cividale) solo. Quite fun and interesting Italian SS versus Allied Italian scenario with armor on both sides. Well done, Signore Holst!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Erik Lindblad had the Russian attackers in a FtF session of SP259 CORRIDOR TO EXTINCTION.
Played this a few weeks ago and lost with a too far forward defense. To win as you did the Germans have got to hedgehog in the victory area which makes it somewhat dull and wastes pretty much the entire playing area. Not sure I will play it at CASLO which is why I tried it in the first place. It was mercifully short for me.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this a few weeks ago and lost with a too far forward defense. To win as you did the Germans have got to hedgehog in the victory area which makes it somewhat dull and wastes pretty much the entire playing area. Not sure I will play it at CASLO which is why I tried it in the first place. It was mercifully short for me.
Played this several times and thought a layered defense allowed the best possibility of German win. Put the JgdTiger with the AL on the hill (decent LOS/LOF) and late in the game he can lumber down to clinch the victory if timed correctly (remember to keep at least a HS for infantry support). I rate it as 55% pro-Russian. YMMV

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Played this several times and thought a layered defense allowed the best possibility of German win. Put the JgdTiger with the AL on the hill (decent LOS/LOF) and late in the game he can lumber down to clinch the victory if timed correctly (remember to keep at least a HS for infantry support). I rate it as 55% pro-Russian. YMMV
I absolutely could not find a hill hex with good LOS in the German setup area; there were a number outside of the setup area. This leads me to ask where you put the JgPz6?

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Trial Run (J190) against Mark DeVries. I had the Canadians and Mark had the Germans. It was my turn to travel so it was Mark's turn to pick the scenario. On initial impression-I was not too thrilled by his choice as I tend not to like Italian Campaign scenarios (for some reason this theatre of the war doesn't interest me very much).

Mark set up a screen of concealed units on hill on his side of the dry stream. I set up my mortars to put down smoke and placed a 3 squad stack with the 8-1 leader and 2LMGs in position to opportunity fire at anything that didn't get smoked. Everyone else will be moving. I manage to smoke all but one of his positions before running out of smoke. I move forward with everyone else-including the overwatch stack. Discover the one position I didn't smoke was a dummy and start to grind my way up the hill. I send a platoon on my far left to do a board edge creep and stumble into a trench line that takes up 3 woods/road hexes. I got lazy and forgot to conceal these guys so they had to move/advance next to his concealed units in the trenches without the benefit of concealment of their own. They get shot up (broken and quality reduced but all able to rally). My tanks come in on turn three. I figure going down the trench lined roads is not a good idea so I take 3 tanks and move on my right down the dry stream bed. This seems to have caught Mark by surprise. The remaining tank goes to the woods road to help the infantry there. I try and shift the majority of my infantry to my right flank but the god-awful terrain slows me down. Mark is already stating that I don't have enough time to exit my infantry (This is turn 4). I did some minor whining and continue onward. The tank I sent down the woods road backed by the rallied squads from my left flank manage to sweep his trench line. The tank manages to conduct 2 overruns and cross all three trench hexes before it is destroyed by a PF fired by a wounded 6+1 leader on turn 6. Job well done to that tank crew. On my Right flank I manage to exit two tanks as all the PF shots he took against them either missed or he couldn't get in position. The forth tank was diverted to my left to try and help my infantry there but it couldn't get in position in time to help. I found his AT gun which was set up to cover the road with a lone squad. It was in a trench and supported by a 5-4-8 squad. I advanced a 4-5-7 into the hex and we had a melee that lasts for 4 CC phases. End result was I had a HS and all of his guys were dead. Last turn saw Mark clinging to the woods and buildings on the board edge and I had to move 4 points of infantry off across the road to get to win. Weather roll on my last turn results in Gusts! That is very bad. I had 3 squads in position to throw smoke and 4 1/2 squads and 2 leaders in position to make a run for it. Now I will have to do it the hard way. After much running, residual, fire lanes and dice rolling, I manage to exit 1 squad. A leader pins on the last hex and Mark pulls off a win.

This scenario went from a rather plodding chess match to a wild melee and movement filled barn burner. Would play it again. No HOB and no snipers for either side. Only weird thing was Mark taking a CR on a squad when he rolled a 12 with a PF shot.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You win some, you lose some.

In something of a rarity for me, I played two games in the last three days.

On Thursday, I played @Matt Boehland in J146 "Ragnarok." I had the Germans, a mixed bag of conscripts and SS trying to break out of Berlin in the last days of the war. An SSR gives the defending Soviets random reinforcements in the form of concealment counters which can turn into units if interacted with.

Sensing a weakness in the defense, I set up exclusively on the Eastern half of the board. Using my conscripts to draw fire, I pushed the SS north hard and fast, encircling and overrunning one defensive position after another.

By turn three, it was all over. The Soviets couldn't possibly bring enough firepower to bear on my exit corrider and I was able to exit for the win before any of the non-random reinforcements (a trio of SU-76 assault guns and an understrength infantry platoon) could join the fight.

At this month's Twin Cities ASL match, I paired up with @Big Noodle to play ASL 143 "Grebbe End." I had a hankering to play as the Dutch, and @Big Noodle was more than willing to "crush the Dutch," as he put it.

He ended up getting his wish, in spades. My plan was to set up an initial screen with most of my green squads, with the main line of resistance provided by the 1st line squads, leaders, and MGs. The HMG would provide a backstop and discourage infiltration. I would slowly fall back through the woods, before making a final stand in the Northeastern part of the village. Foxholes would provide cover in the otherwise open ground necessary for the withdrawal.

Of course, no plan survives contact with the enemy. Or with profoundly uncooperative dice. I did not once rally a single unit over the course of the game, and I found my units cowering (inevitably down two columns, to add insult to injury) and losing Subsequent First Fire opportunities.

My esteemed opponent exploited every possible advantage, slipping one PSW 231 into the village, demolishing route paths and almost single handedly causing the collapse of my Eastern flank. The West was obliterated through a combination of direct fire (followed by failed Morale Checks and disruption on my part) and extremely aggressive Close Combat.

By the end of Turn 3, I had taken over 50% losses. By the end of Turn 4, only one squad, a leader, and an LMG remained. I threw in the towel.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Weather roll on my last turn results in Gusts! That is very bad. I had 3 squads in position to throw smoke
Pretty sure that Gusts do not prevent infantry from using smoke grenades during the turn. Gusts would only cause 5/8" smoke to dissipate faster.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played FT213 Up the Liri Valley today at our twin cities ASL game day. I had the defending Germans against the Curtis Brook's Free French. This is a tight all-infantry scenario set on board 55. It is a real puzzle where the Germans must gain 19 VP by scoring them at the end of every turn through occupying one VP each for four different buildings and 2VP for two more remote buildings. This scenario is appealing as it requires each player to both attack and defend. Also, both sides had an instant win condition of inflicting 18 CVP on the enemy.

We ended up getting about half way through before the FF called it a day. Some effective fire and residual caused the 9-1 and a 458 to perish for 4CVP. Plus, three other broken 458s had been or were about to be taken prisoner to add another 12CVP to hit the CVP cap. Two of those breaks and captures courtesy of some very lucky SANs. They hit two 458s in very key defensive positions.

While The Germans were the beneficiary of the two SANs that helped break open the game, we both agreed this is a nifty scenario that is a nice puzzle. Currently 20-19 on ROAR.

Many thanks to Curtis for a good game despite bad luck with those SANs. He's a tough player and I look forward to a rematch.

Last edited:

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty sure that Gusts do not prevent infantry from using smoke grenades during the turn. Gusts would only cause 5/8" smoke to dissipate faster.
Argh! Neither of us caught that. We both treated Gusts as if they were Heavy Winds for smoke placement.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Galician Persuasion [SP231] yesterday with my ftf buddy and lost as the scumbag russians. The 120mm mortar up on the 2nd level hill can see everything. It immobilized one T-34 which I thought it could not see. The 120 can see just about every VC building, so putting any scumbag russians. into those buildings was a no go. My T-34's did not fare well as one was hit by a CH. The other boxcared its MA and went home. By turn 5 the Hungarians still had all 6 AFV's and I pretty much knew the drill with what I had left, bypass sleaze freeze and move up the boys to clean house. The scenario was boring, really boring but typical of most proliferate designers. Empty of anything unique.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played BFP-73 Preliminary Move in a game dominated by wild swings of the dice. The scenario starts with seven Stukas roaring in for a one time good deal flyover. My friend, playing as the Russians, decided to not set up any of his three guns hidden. When I asked him later, "Why?" He replied he wanted them to be in position for the best shots possible at my infantry, and that the chances of me rolling a 3 or 4 on the To Hit try would be remote. Probable, but this is ASL and anything can happen. So, seven tries later, three guns blasted into oblivion - along with six points gained of the needed 18 for the German win. Maybe the ART Gun and possibly the AA Gun could be left in the open (I still wouldn't have done it), but the AT Gun should have been hidden in the orchard. Anyway, I couldn't believe my luck - and it was pure, unadulterated luck - in whacking those three guns. In fact, if I ever whine to my friend about missing with a bomb again, he has my permission to slap me upside my head right then and there!

His dice were hot as well, however, and the Russian HMG in the bunker gave me fits. Once the mist rolled in, and with it some much needed cover, I was able to move a bit easier. Still, it wasn't until turn 5 (of 7.5) that things started to swing my way. Having finally taken out the HMG strongpoint - and the rate from hell - I was able to ascend the hill. By turn 7 I was in a position to either take enough hill locations and/or exit units to get the victory so we called it.

Kind of fun. Maybe a bit dicey with the Stuka blitz in the beginning and the Germans forced to cross a lot of open ground opening up a chance for rate to tear them up. A bit of a flawed set up by the Russians hurt their cause, but incredible rate rolls by the HMG and somewhat from the MMG almost made up for it. The dice were crazy today as we both had very low rolls consecutively several times (snakes and threes) and then there was one full turn that neither one of us got any result roll better than a PTC. Lots of open ground to cover make it tough on the Germans, but with almost double the number of squads and making a 1/2 squad rush, they can get the job done.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Medieval Warfare HoB LM-11 China 1935. Mao's column is trying to break into a fortified- with a castle wall- city, and secure one of 2 factories. And it was medieval all right. Man the wall or charge the wall- the fate of many. I was spared critical first turn damage; I had set much of the Nationalist force on the wall. The ChiComs were set up just in front of it. No cover but lots of opportunity to throw point blank firepower. Thankfully, the average DR for turn one, for the ChiComs, was about a 10!. Mao's minions gained the wall on the third try. Their attack was mostly in the east, but I had lost so many Nationalists by then, he could try to take either of the factories. I lost aG2, but I was able to take it back again. The battle came down to a last turn melee in aC2. My "brave" 3-3-6's prevailed. Great scenario.
The porridge pot and wall rules are not bad.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Got me a Tank [RPT144] Dave Stephens had played this before and with no preparation I took the KPA thinking I had to attack given the four T-34/85's. Doh, just needed to hold on to two buildings and one of the T-34's. I found out quickly how deadly the Baz 50 is, TK32! as one building quickly fell to two 667's, toting respectively a BAZ and .50 Cal led by the 10-2. One KPA squad dead, another broken and a T-34 burning in the victory building. Reinforcements on the way but would they get there in time? Amazingly, before the reinforcements got there a commissar led conscript broke two American squads attempting to take the second building while a reinforcement T-34 chased the Americans out of the first building with the help of one of its original occupants who had routed away. At the end of turn three most of the Americans were broken and the victory buildings secure and reinforced. Dave's morale checks did him in as well as my hot dice. Key was driving one T-34 up the center from the west (just one American squad with an LMG guarding that road) while the remaining reinforcements came in from the north.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I played a quick scenario after work today: J183 A Real Barn Burner from Journal 12.

I took the Germans and massively screwed up my setup. I overly split my forces and underestimated how blasted difficult it would be to root out those 2.5 Fanatic, elite French squads with their 9-1 from the walled farm compound. I rolled one side of the compound in Turn 1 and eliminated half their forces and then got shot to pieces trying to take out the last squad. There was much taunting and referencing of elderberries.

As I flailed around not able to secure the objective, my opponent (who is usually very conservative on the attack) initiated "le banzai" against my under strength forward defense. The terrain is atrocious on Board 43 given the situation: French on both sides of you with open LOS all the way across; a hedge that cuts the battlefield into two slices. Brutal.
Opinions vary, but I think the mistake is not considering the Victory Conditions. I played that scenario disregarding completely the fanatics of Gehin in the objective. I was centered in achieving that no troop of the relieving force arrived to its objective. I lost, but if I was to replay this scenario, my German force would be deployed at both sides of the hedge. But be careful with long time runners; even a HS running on the edge of the board making its mark at Gehin's may ruin any defence, so react to those attempts quickly and energically.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played RO2 Second Step from Red Factories. German assault force without Assault Engineers (548 and 467) tries to make headway in a typical factory environment. They must seize 3 out of 6 factories. A fearsome german rocket module is available. Typical Soviet mix in this environment with crack troops (628/458) and factory workers (426). One AT Gun and a mix of fortifications bolster the defense. In the game the two-pronged german attack failed all along the line. The left wing managed to infiltrate the first factory and got close to achieve a breakthrough but two lucky CC won by defenders as well as consecutive SAN attacks broke the back of the attack and reinforcing militiamen poured in to throw back the invaders. On the right flank, the attack went initially according to plans but it lost steam when attacking the second factory. German resign on turn 5. There is no escaping the fact that it seems pro-defender (ROAR would confirm that). Nevertheless, noting that i was fairly close from a local collapse, with some optimised use of available assets to the attackers (rocket OBA, 81* mortars, the all-important StuG and Stukas coming late in the game), it might be doable for the attacker. So the jury is still out, but it is an interesting challenge for the attacker, for sure.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Raid at Sussuno LC WCR 3 Italy, '44. 1st Special Service Force must clear out a small but well armed group of Herman Goerings from around the board 48 crossroads. At night. I was very lucky with the wire and mines. Normally I find these things the hard way.... The Germans have 2 81mm MTRs. One of these went on a ROF tear, taking out 2 6-6-8 squards and a leader in a single fire phase. But, stealthy Forcemen and good leadership were lethal for the Germans in HtH CC. American / Canadian win.