So what scenarios have you played Recently?

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished BFP-86 Panzer Regiment Rothenburg against Mark Ramsdale. We called it at the beginning of German turn 5 as a German win. It seemed to us that this one is hard on the Russians, because a German schwerepunkt down either side is rather overwhelming. Highlights of the game included knocking out the dug-in tank with an OBA critical hit, and a StuG going for 2 ESB points to escape up a hill to avoid getting drilled by the 85L after its first shot bounced off the armor. It didn't help the Russians that they had bad luck the whole game except for their sniper. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who thinks the Russians have a good chance and why.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played G8 Recon in Force as the defending Axis forces. Very close game. The Americans need to take two buildings, one held by the Italians and one by the Germans, for an instant win, or take one and have triple the Axis CVP total at game's end. By the middle of turn 6 (of 7), the Americans had pretty much taken control of the Italian building and had the Italians on the ropes. The German sector was pretty secure. After an amazing ambush followed by snake-eyes by a CX American 1/2 squad vs three Italian full squads and a 9-1 leader (I know, avoid stacking, but in this case, my squads were pushed back into that hex by the swarming Americans), we added up the points. I had 20 and my friend had 42. If he took all the remaining Italians prisoner, he would have 58. Since I decided (kind of too late) to run some squads out of the Italian victory building area, the chances of catching all of them with one move left were very slim. On the other side, the Germans were holed up in the other victory building pretty much intact with only a few American 1/2 squads left to try and dislodge them. We decided to call it at that point. Fun. Made better by the wild DRs today; plenty of snakes and boxcars.

Though super balanced according to ROAR, I think a big American push towards the Italians might carry the day. A six morale and a one ELR makes them extremely brittle. One thing for the defender to consider is the second level hexes in the VP buildings. Three out of the four stairwells are in bad locations (up front) which I didn't think about. I placed several squads in the upper locations to prevent the Americans from just marching up uncontested and concealed. My plan was to later move to the ground level when the Americans got closer. However, WP trapped the Germans upstairs for several turns and the 10-2 American kill stack kept an Italian upper level group at bay and basically out of the game. Other interesting things to consider are where to place the board 22 Italian force and where to set up the HIP units. Meaty, but playable in an evening. My friend and I both liked it.

Edit: Hey, I just realized those American MTRs couldn't have fired WP! We used them correctly through all the Sicily scenarios we played and then we screwed up on the last one! Well, I'm glad that mistake didn't cost me the game. I still stand by my stairwell comment, however. Once the Americans put their weapons together, having to travel down stairwells in the face of four MTRs, four MMGs, and serious squad strength is daunting.

Last edited:

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The re-enforcement chart informs you also of the number of dates you can buy them on. Each module is limited in use to the number of black cards. So they won't go on forever potentially. I really liked the idea of no more than one mission on board for each side at any one time and the fact that you only got so many kicks at the can with them. It made them powerful, but not dominant as OBA can sometimes be in a CG.
That's the way we played it. Thank you both.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All of these games are from the recently completed Bitter Ender tournament in Cary, NC the weekend of April 11-14, 2019.

Round 1. Played longtime friend Gary Bartlett for the first time in an ASL scenario after many a Euro game. Scenario of choice was FrF93 Wiener Walzer from the latest Friendly Fire Scenario Pack (#12). Rolling for sides gave me the Attacking German forces. This scenario requires the initial German Turn 1 Infantry force to enter as riders in Platoon movement in 8 SPW 251/1 and one command SPW 251/10 as they try and run through a gauntlet of Defending Russian Infantry supported by 1 BT-7A and a 45L AT Gun. The Germans enter along a pretty narrow board edge front of 6 hexes on Board 4 as they make a run for several buildings within 2 hexes of the two bridges on Board 22. The kicker for the Germans is that they pretty much need to reach both bridge areas and get a defense set up before the Russians reinforcements arrive in Russian Player Turn 2. So, with no real time to waste, the Germans need to move post haste to the bridge areas, get settled in, and then worry about how best to risk their vulnerable (and VP valuable) reinforcing PZ IIIHs. Gary played an awesome game, especially overcoming an early boxcars Start DR on his initial BT-7A. I liked this scenario, but the outcome is highly dependent on the Russian ability/in-ability to kill a fair number of SPW 251/1s with Passengers on Game Turn 1 and then mount a crushing counterattack on preferably one of the bridge areas, since in order to win, the Germans need at least 1 unbroken squad-equivalent in each bridge area.

Gary’s counterattack was well conducted and I was in danger of dropping both Control of the one building I held (22T6) and exceeding my CVP cap. Fortunately, a late game Intensive Fire shot from a Pz IIIH caught a Russian T-34 M41 in the rear turret to take some pressure off of T6 and then I swarmed another T-34 M41 and was able to also get it with a rear shot. Gary’s last desperate attempt to kill one of my Immobilized Pz IIIHs and put me over my CVP cap came up just short. I thought Gary played a great game, but was hurt by his early failure to properly maintain his armor transmission while in the field.

Round 2. Played another first time opponent in Nelson Harris. We decided to go off the primary scenario menu and play MMP’s J129 Mountain Hunters from a list of alternate scenarios provided by our erstwhile TD Ray. The DR gave me the Defending Russians. My strategy was to use a decent force (1x 4-4-7 and 4x 5-2-7s) to hold the upfront VC buildings (2a K15 & M15) as long as possible, while then balancing the rest of my forces to hold the other two VC Objectives, 6 buildings in the Board 2a Village area and 5 Level 2 Woods/Brush hexes. Nelson started nicely when his 9-2 directed heavy in N18 seriously spanked my 9-1/458/HMG over watch position in F12 to open the game. I was left with a broken and wounded 9-1 (which didn’t Self-Rally until Turn 3) and a broken HS. Fortunately, some of Nelson’s good DRs worked against him as my SAN of 5 eventually claimed his 9-2 and kept his HMG from taking any shots after Turn 2. Nelson’s other shot of note on Romanian Turn 1 was snakes with his FT on my Concealed 4-4-7 in M15. So much for that VC buildings holding out. Nelson then proceeded to crush SMOKE and crush the remainder of my units holding the K15 VC building. Two Turns in and it was looking a little dicey for the Defenders. Fortunately, the Level 2 hills offer some nice LOSs into the Board 2a flatlands and the Russians started to take a heavy toll on the crossing Romanian Infantry. Things helped go the Russian way when one of my 2-2-8 Gun Crews dropped their somewhat in effectual 76 ART piece and took one of the supporting German Stugs out in CC. True Heroes of the Motherland! In the end, Harris fell one Woods/Brush hex short of a Romanian win after a titanic struggle for the D11 Woods mass. Really another classic scenario by Chris Mazzei and Peter Struiif, two of my absolute favorite designers!

Round 3. The newly betrothed Dave Reenstra and I decided on what I consider the best scenario out of the Death to Fascism Scenario Pack DTF-3 True Grit. As I had played the scenario before Dave chose the Attacking Japanese against my staunchly Defending Dutch. Played mostly on Board 8b, the Japanese start out of LOS on the backside of the Board 58 hill mass with the goal of taking and holding 8 out of 12 VC buildings. The Japanese start with a superior quality Infantry force that is then subsequently reinforced on Japanese Player Turn 2 with a small but equally quality force along the Dutch flank near the back left set of VC buildings. The Dutch are supported by three Blood & Jungle required 75 ART pieces and one 20L AA Gun. The beauty of this scenario, along with all of the other fine scenarios in the Death to Fascism pack is that the Attacker and Defender get a variable number of purchase points from which to augment their respective OoB through the purchase of various SWs that are initially unknown to the opposing player. The other massively fine part of each scenario is that the Defender may record as HIP all SWs and SMCs that set up with a Defending unit. These two features combine to add a really nice amount of uncertainty/replayability to each scenario in the pack.

So, strategically, the Defending Dutch do need to inflict some amount of damage to the attacking Japanese forces in the hope that they bleed them just enough so the Turn 5, 10-2 lead reinforcing Dutch units can either hold on to the necessary VC buildings or more likely counterattack to recapture one or more needed VC buildings. Dave played an awesome game of advancing his Japanese units on a steady pace until the moment of pouncing with multiple, highly successful Banzai Charges. Needless to say, but the Dutch infantry apparently failed to pack the grenades and entrenching tools after they got shwacked time and again in CC. By the end of Game Turn 5, Dave had secured the required number of VC buildings and was pressing on the back set of buildings in order to ice the cake. On the top of Turn 6, the Dutch got their first real CC break when a 1-3-7 Dutch HS exchanged its life for that of a full 4-4-7 Japanese MMC, thus weakening the Japanese right flank. This good luck was partially offset by my ability to break my 10-2 on both Game Turns 6 & 7 (eye roll emoji here). Bottom of 7, last Turn, the Dutch go all in on hoping to retake one VC building and holding another in CC. Fortunately, the Dutch had just enough squads to squeak out recapturing one building and then surviving into Melee to hold the other. Dave played an awesome game that left my defenders scrambling during the entire affair.

Another fine Peter Struijf and Chris Mazzei production!

Round 4. A rematch in the semis with Tom Kearney who spanked me last year in this round to advance to the Bitter Ender 2018 Championship. We both decided that off menu was needed for this Round. Fortunately, Al Saltzman was there to help as he had pulled together a list of top alternate scenarios for just such a case. After some perusing, we decide on going with the Gary Fortenberry classic, AP62 Shouting Into the Storm. The dice gave me the attacking Germans, a decidedly capable bunch of Infantry supported by a wealth of quality armor including 3 King Tigers. Both sides have variable force selection in this scenario, so I went with the 8-3-8 FT wielding group as my choice as the end game would most likely require to 24FP Flat shots to get the job done. Tom found a nice LOS to the hex coming off the bridge where he laid 4FP worth of Residual FP from his HMG. Fortunately, every AFV in the German OoB brings a sD/sN and they weren’t shy about finding them. Having to secure two multi-hex stone VC buildings on the opposite sides of the Russian defensive area, I figured I couldn’t be shy about putting my forces right in Tom’s face and pushing hard. So push they did. Fortunately, Tom decided to bring his 10.25 MC dice with him, as in every MC and FPF shot he took didn’t go well. Three turns in and the Germans were in danger of capturing both VC buildings as they were either not occupied or mostly held by broken units. I like this scenario. I would like to play it again where the Russian defense isn’t compromised by its own DRs as I think it is fairly Balanced given the VC, but clearly Tom’s luck was working against him this day.

Round 5. My write-up of this game of FrF98 Amerikanskaya Suka against Doug Sheppard can be found here http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/bitter-ender-live-updates.151572/page-2.

All in all, a great time against a host of quality and fun opponents.

Bill

Last edited:

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Really enjoyed a tense game at our Twin Citie ASL day with Tom Yetter. Played YASL7 Making a Break For It as the defending Germans against the British paratroopers attempting to break out from the Oostebeek pocket. The Brits needed to exit 14 VP off the opposite side of the map. 15 648 squad equivalents for them; 14 for the German who had a long two-map wide (20 hexes) to defend against the brits who enter from off board. Thus the Germans had to be able to cover everything but redeploy to meet the main allied thrust.

This scenario was a slow fighting withdrawal for the Germans. Careful to never accept a fight I didn't need to take, I rolled slowly back maintaining concealment as much as possible. Most of the Brit artack focused on the north end -- board 5 -- with a platoon of paratroopers hitting the southern side -- board 46. This platoon was held up by stubborn defenders who benefitted from the stone buildings and LV hindrance. They were unable to make progress and by the end of the game these VP would not threaten exit.

On the north side the German reaction was effective and was covering the northern-most open ground hex rows with multiple MGs and several squads. Here the Brits had to adjust to leverage the woods forcing them to burn a turn moving parrallel to the exit Mapedge. By this time we had gotten through 4.5 of 5.5 turns and the clock was fast running out for the Brits. There was material defensive resistance remaining and the upcoming German turn would be spent deploying to seal the board edge. As a resul, the paratroopers called it a day.

Really a wonderful scenario that was very tight now sitting at 12-10 for the defenders. The Germans have a lot to defend, but have equal squad numbers to compensate. The paratroopers are tough and strong, but have to contend with a rolling defensive withdrawal that minimized massive FP attacks. Tom played a very good game, but neutralizing defenders on board 46 in stone plus the LV hindrance means most shots are +4. This really shut down the southern side of the battle (containing seven of the 37 allied VP) and forced things on the northern board 5.
nice report thanks, but I believe that only MMC count (see Victory Conditions), that are 30, not 37. A little harder for attacker.
I could try this scenario very soon

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hetzer Butcher FT 222 Germany '45. Free French must hold onto their recently won gains in a village against a group of Volksgrenadiers, SS, and the Hetzers. I figured the VG would come along board 51, but that was just a holding force, with most flanking from Board 2. The Free French took it on the chin for several turns, but then I was able to slow them down. The turn the French reinforcements arrived, the Germans took the 18th three hex or larger building. (Of the required 18.) But, I was able to kill a few Hetzers and retake 3 buildings in the west. Free French victory. Fun scenario.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hetzer Butcher FT 222 Germany '45. Free French must hold onto their recently won gains in a village against a group of Volksgrenadiers, SS, and the Hetzers. I figured the VG would come along board 51, but that was just a holding force, with most flanking from Board 2. The Free French took it on the chin for several turns, but then I was able to slow them down. The turn the French reinforcements arrived, the Germans took the 18th three hex or larger building. (Of the required 18.) But, I was able to kill a few Hetzers and retake 3 buildings in the west. Free French victory. Fun scenario.
Did the CVP come into play? I posted an AAR on this thread some time ago on this scenario. I thought the game would be better without the CVP, I thought it made for cautious play.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did the CVP come into play? I posted an AAR on this thread some time ago on this scenario. I thought the game would be better without the CVP, I thought it made for cautious play.
It did not. The CVP lead went back and forth, but neither side ever had more than a 10-15 point CVP lead.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Mars Begins [RPT154] I am a little behind on games I have played since my last posting so I will start with this one played today. Lots of vehicles which made for a longish game as my Russians and Dave Stephens' Germans were cautious until the end. I suffered from four turns of arty while Dave suffered through four turns of heavy, falling snow. This helped my conscripts along with an inability to get an accurate FFE but the SSR which gave me an 8+1 commissar which must try to rally units in any one hex that failed their first rally in the that phase free rally. He was a harbinger of death as he killed off three or four squads and ELR'ed a number of others. On turn five I got two building hexes and two crossroads which secured a nail biting victory that required my conscript to rout up stairs facing a 9-2, and two squads (one concealed) last turn counterattack.

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played some good ones lately, a couple of which introduced me to some new rules I hadn't learned before:

SP 44 Sufferin' Sudfrankreich

This one had me cringing as I rolled for my gliders coming in but the rules were surprisingly straightforward. Even more surprising, everyone landed safely. Despite a grinding fight through the 10 AA 9 woods and the loss of a full squad and 8-1 in h-t-h, my Osttruppen won the fight, capturing seven buildings after a late scramble. This scenario was a great way to learn the glider rules.

SP 42 Hot in Kot

My first foray into playing partisans. I moved too slowly and lost to the Indians, who quickly blitzed the village and overwhelmed the defenders. Most of the game was spent chasing a skulking Punjabi rearguard until I finally got the main force down the trails and into position to retake the ville. By that point I was simply out of time. Fun, and off the beaten path, pun intended. Like SP 44, it was a really quick playing scenario.

SP 41 Bloody Gulch

Sometimes a name speaks for itself. Gathering at the seventieth anniversary of the battle, surviving cardboard veterans from both sides would agree that they had equally shared the suffering of low, wacky dice rolls. Although they lost a couple of StuGs, the SS managed to collapse the entire U.S. right flank by turn 3 and stormed the ravine.

OS 1 Conscript Counter

A really fun one. When I took this OB I figured I'd fold fast but for most of the game I had the upper hand until my boys finally collapsed under close range, superior U.S. firepower. Once you factor in the stone buildings and lots of open ground for the Americans to cross, not to mention their fragile morale, there really isn't much between the two OBs. A great intro to Objective Schmidt.

I'm looking forward to playing AP 101, When I Call Roll tomorrow and seeing how the mechanics of beach landings work. After playing ASL off and on for most of my adult life its cool to still learn new things in practically every game.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently finished off three games one PBEM, one with my VASL friend Binchois & one each against Curtis Brooks and Steve (Captain America) Rogers.

ASL 67 Cibik's Ridge was a hard fought bloody affair. My Japanese were finally able to bludgeon their way to the top of the ridge by utilizing several very costly but effective Banzai charges to attain a late game narrow victory. An immensely enjoyable playing against a quality opponent that said he needed to knock the dust off his PTO play (yeah, right!). Always a great scenario to get into or back into PTO; it did not leave one wanting.

RPT 160 Willie Und Fritz was a rather disappointing offering as my Germans set up forward were able to knock the fight out of the Russians early. A hot shooting Panther set up on a small knob on board 2 coupled with PF (1945) & PSK shots took out three Soviet AFVs on turn one, then things started to go down hill for the Russians fast. The SPW 251/21 (12 IFE) just added insult to injury to advancing Soviet infantry slapping them around liberally or keeping others at bay. With another arriving Panther, the Russkies thought better of their attack plans for the day and settled back to drink their sorrows away. Our assessment was a rather poor offering from a very competent designer.

RO1 Blood On The Tracks as erratacized turned out to be a great smash mouth affair worthy of the great RB scenarios of old! My opponent's Germans were held up on the perimeter wire just long enough to make the grinding & bloody engagement last long enough for my Guardsmen to hold onto a final victory building and prevent his assaulting force from bursting into my factories for a last minute boys in blue victory, but just! A very enjoyable scenario, especially after having played a very disappointing RO7 Stone Age Caves previously. A well played rendition of this scenario will leave one thirsting to get into the Red October Factories CGs for sure.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
First two scenarios of Nova Buda, the First of four ASL/ATS games just released from CH on the Cherkassy Pocket campaign.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
VotG 17 "On The Verge Of Extinction" A blast (DC) of a time! Russians came in from all three allowable directions. Large contingent of 4-4-7s Mopping Up as they came forward, winkling out and eliminating HIP Germans on their way. Lots of German POWs throughout the game, so the Reds deployed their Guard squads, rinse and repeat. Two Red kill stacks and AFVs trading volleys with two German kill stacks in the Univermag. The key, I feel, was the Russians successfully bringing down Smoke OBA on part of the Univermag and other buildings in that center sector, the trailing Dispersed Smoke (Mild Breeze) providing a route across the City Square hexes of death. The AEs poured into the Smoke, and it was only a matter of time.....and Ivan was allotted just enough of that! Final Red 1/2 Turn, 7a (7a), they broke and captured the sole 8-0 still holed up in the Univermag cellar, gaining Control of the building. They only suffered 24 of the 46 CVP the Germans needed to inflict for the win. They were cautious to a certain extent though, when two tanks entered '1' A-T minefields for example, they never moved again for fear of risking an easy bloc of CVP. The Jerries simply didn't have the manpower to come out after them.

I for one, enjoyed the 'two games within the game' of the Mop-up bughunt combined with the vicious assault. High note: one of the Russian FB getting a CH on a Cellar with German units holding a key flank-point position. Bye-bye! Low note: All German Guns malfed/X'd and failed miserably (Ammo shortage, Extreme Winter). They broke a few infantry, but never even got a chance to bag some tanks as those were cautiously held in spots where they could not easily be targeted. [To be fair, the OT-34 X'd its FT and Malfed its MA both in the same initial fire phase they were used!] I hadn't returned to Stalingrad (VotG) in a while, and this was a doozy of a homecoming!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
They were cautious to a certain extent though, when two tanks entered '1' A-T minefields for example, they never moved again for fear of risking an easy bloc of CVP.
When a fully-tracked vehicle enters a minefield without using bypass, it creates a partial trailbreak. The vehicle should be able to reverse out of the minefield using the partial trailbreak to avoid mine attack or even spin around and use it.

JR

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
When a fully-tracked vehicle enters a minefield without using bypass, it creates a partial trailbreak. The vehicle should be able to reverse out of the minefield using the partial trailbreak to avoid mine attack or even spin around and use it.

JR
Good tip. I usually risk going forward as by the time I run into those pesky AT mine hexes it is late in the game and I got to go forward.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Good tip. I usually risk going forward as by the time I run into those pesky AT mine hexes it is late in the game and I got to go forward.
That fits with the general defensive strategy of favoring putting your HIP stuff further back. It is more likely to catch the attack at a vulnerable moment.

JR

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played WO29 Pynda Avenged as the defending Italians. I think the game was won on the first PFPh. My friend decided to put his on board force on Board 63. I had a couple concealed squads in the center of the playing area in the two buildings where all the boards meet. I don't remember if he took one or two shots but the result was no effect and it prevented four, maybe even five, squads from moving (he did push a couple of 1/2 squads forward). I was very surprised at this because we both know maneuver is the name of the game in ASL. Well, in the end, he got a foothold in the 2 VP building and had almost pushed me out of it. With one more turn, I'm pretty sure I'd have lost it. The four point swing was the difference. If only he pushed those squads forward a turn earlier...

The game was actually better than I expected. I was on the ropes most of the game. I took some chances (as did he) with my (his) troops. The Greeks assaulted and moved into open ground several times forcing me to decide to give up concealment, shoot, or after I exhausted firing options, perform FPF. I did, and took out more units - without breaking - than I should legally be allowed to in a normal game. Fun because it was so close, but I think the Greeks should prevail most of the time. Too much ground to defend for the Italians and that 6 morale, ugh.

One final thing, I've read different viewpoints in regards to the Italian defense. I set my guys up in the village and its immediate outskirts so I could slowly fall back. I think an up front defense could probably be bypassed and/or isolated relatively easily. The Italians don't have the FP or morale to fight their way back into the city, so a city defence is less risky, IMHO.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I finished a VASL playing of ELC04 DRAGOONS, PARACHUTISTES, AND THE DUTCH RESISTANCE. This is an unusual scenario. Canadian armoured cars and halftracks must run a gauntlet of dispersed mixed quality German infantry to reach a town on the far side of the board where Free French paratroopers have landed. The Germans have 1945 PF of course, 2 PSK, two Dutch AC with 37L guns, a light mortar and many MG with which to attack the Canadian mostly light armour. Maybe Magnus was lucky in our game, but I believe the Axis side is favoured. On the fourth turn out of five, my second-to-last AFV that I needed to survive died to seal the German victory.

Last edited:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States

JR
Thanks for making me re-read the rule. For some reason, I thought an entry trailbreak was only made by an AFV in an A-P minefield. :(