So what scenarios have you played Recently?

buser333

Reaction score
Noreaster was great fun, many great opponents and fun scenarios. But, the first round matchup v John W. the Fifth in the Saturday Fog of War mini was super fun

we both chose RPT 124 Farmyard Affray and we both bid Canadians. we diced for it and he got the defending Germans and the squad upgrade balance. Elite Canadians have to rush forward through a few building locations then fall back to a VC area. Simulates an attack/counter attack

the Canadians used MTR to smoke VC building defenders on the left and braved weak German fire to quickly get one location VP point. a half squad ran at the lone German half squad on the right. he did not fire at the half squad so a full Canadian squad moved then advanced up concealed adjacent. Canadians made great first turn progress and were feeling quit confident

during his turn he reinforced the VC building and Canadians could not stop him. but, ever worst, was the lone German half squad advancing into CC v concealed Elite Canadian full squad. the kid rolls ambush, then snake-eyes, and then rolls up a 8-1! I knew I should'a sent more guys over there. my game went downhill from there

he then commenced to pound the Canadians in the buildings as they scramble to accrue VC points. by the time the Canadians were able to fallback to the final VC area they had just enough CVP left, but his reinforcements entered. there was no way the Canadians had enough to survive two more turns, so I conceded

fun scenario, great opponent. nice seeing young guys playing ASL even when they kick my ass
I think you mean RPT24. I recognized the name and thought this was an oldie. I played this very early in my ASL career against a very good opponent, but I remember thinking it was tough to defend against all the smoke the Canadians got.

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quick recap: Played SP255 Anatoly's Ambush recently. HIP Russian tanks and 9 x squads to start against a powerful force of 9 x PzIII's and 11 squad equivalents and a couple throw-away HTs. VC: Exit two German tanks off a north board edge road hex AND ensure no GO Russian MMC in three stone village bldng hexes OR no Russian tank on/adjacent to a segment of road.

Germans have to come in carefully to avoid losing needed tanks. Russian are tanks fairly weak against the Germans, but can still do significant damage. A very tight see-saw match into the end game. The Russians had the village defended rather well for the final German push thanks to a commissar that rejuvinated a number of Russian squads through out the game. Too, the Russian had a concealed tank adjacent to the road hex. Unfortunately, a misread of the VC had 2 x German tanks exit, but not via a road hex. At this point, the German commander called off further attack.

A good scenario that causes both players to balance between multiple objectives. Recommended. Currently 18-18 on ROAR.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quick recap: Played SP255 Anatoly's Ambush recently. HIP Russian tanks and 9 x squads to start against a powerful force of 9 x PzIII's and 11 squad equivalents and a couple throw-away HTs. VC: prevent two German tanks from exiting off a north board edge road hex AND ensure no GO Russian MMC in three stone village bldng hexes OR no Russian tank on/adjacent to a segment of road.

Germans have to come in carefully to avoid losing needed tanks. Russian are tanks fairly weak against the Germans, but can still do significant damage. A very tight see-saw match into the end game. The Russians had the village defended rather well for the final German push thanks to a commissar that rejuvinated a number of Russian squads through out the game. Too, the Russian had a concealed tank adjacent to the road hex. Unfortunately, a misread of the VC had 2 x German tanks exit, but not via a road hex. At this point, the German commander called off further attack.

A good scenario that causes both players to balance between multiple objectives. Recommended. Currently 18-18 on ROAR.
I can account for two losses, 1 for each side. In one playing I even had to brief the opponent on the mechanics and intricacies of bypass and the bypass freeze, he caught on quick! o_O:D

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Deep Strike DftB DB32 Tunisia, May '43, Combined French and US force must move, length wise, down 2 full boars and take some buildings from Italian and German troops. I've wanted to play this for a long time, lots of fun toys and movement. The Germans on board 9 were a speed bump, but one 4-4-7 ran away and then had a cat and mouse game going with a Valentine for a few turns... I had an M-10 immo'ed on 17, mission killing it. The Italians defended around 17I8 and the main village. After they were killed off, or, more likely, surrendered, it was on to board 24. The Pz 3 and PzJg put out a valiant fight, but there were too many Soumas, Stuarts, Valentines, and the remaining M-10. Even so, this came down to the last movement phase. Allied Win. Big, fun ASL.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I just finished soloing RO6 The Playing Field.

It is a medium sized scenario, where out of supply Germans desperately try to cling to two factories on the southern part of RO map.
As all factories are gutted, there is some work to cut out the GF overlays - and much of which are placed in the northern part of the playing area, which does not see a lot of action (excepted the placement of a mortar or two), as no victory objectives are up there...
Mortars, wire, trenches, mines are nice elements that add to the fun of the scenario.

The Soviets ground on and on, with stubborn German resistance.
Some Soviet squads attacked from the Southwestern gully and their initial progression went well, protecting the main thrust from sideways fire.
The 120mm OBA - as usual in urban fighting - was a mixed blessing, as it annoyed the Soviet progression. It didn't score heavy losses on the Germans, but hitting the area between the two halls, made shifting troops between them complicated.
During the final two turns, an attack from the west failed, but the Germans were pushed back from the eastern parts of the factories, losing men continuously.
Big 628 boys with a 9-1 leader jumped on two German HS (247 and 237) during the last turn, ambushed them and eliminated them in HtH.
One of the 6FP minefields was deadly, killing two 628 at two different moments.
The German mortars firing from roofless factory hexes - especially one in U6 (which unfortunately rolled boxcars, which with Low Ammo meant it was disabled outright) - were a serious hindrance to Soviet progression.
Snipers and Level A Booby Traps were on the leave for the whole scenario.
The scenario ended with a Soviet victory : 18 VP vs 2 (the VC requiring that the Soviets had >15VP more than the German).

The Soviets need to wipe virtually all the Germans out.
I would say that this scenario seems well balanced.
Here is the scenario end situation.

Last edited:

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J96 Another Bloody Attack as the Germans. The second of the Primosole Bridge trilogy of scenarios, the British must either take and hold both sides of the bridge or get 12 CVP north of the river all the while by not losing 30 CVP in units. Both are very tall tasks even without throwing in the CVP loss criterion, IMHO. An odd bombardment starts the scenario where all German infantry units and stone buildings must take a bombardment MC. Odd in that eligible German infantry, all of which are 8+ ML units with the exception of a 7-0 leader, may start in foxholes but curiously, they are given six concealments (the British enter from off board). So depending on the initial DRs, all the dummies could conceivably be detected by watching the DRs due to having a 7ML and/or not being able to set up in foxholes (at least I believe that dummies would not be considered German Infantry so therefore ineligible to set up in a foxhole). I decided to set mine up in the stone buildings on the south side of the bridge - not a very effective use of them since the British enter right on top of them - but at least there was a chance of deception.

That aside, my buddy split his forces up and pushed roughly 1/3 of his forces straight towards the bridge, 1/3 towards the one hex river section, and 1/3 in between so he would have flexibility depending how the two main attacks went. For my part, I tried to stay concealed as long as possible since half of my force was stuck on the south side of the bridge. Tons of hindrances made hitting anything very difficult for both sides. Eventually, though, I took out two tanks with the 40LL AT Gun - a pretty sweet AT Gun - and another in CC. I had a lot of difficulty getting radio contact, but finally, on my fourth try, I got it. Accuracy was impossible with all the hindrances, but eventually I got it close to where I wanted it. By correcting and declaring conversion to a FFE, I lucked out and landed it right on top of a spread out group trying to reach the narrow part of the river. That pretty much ended it as I had 26 CVP, my north side forces were still completely intact, and the Brits on the south side of the bridge were bogged down. We ended it after four long turns of six. Though I didn't have much to do, I found this scenario kind of interesting. My friend did not as he was frustrated by all the TEM and hindrance modifiers. The next scenario will be the rubber match, and if ROAR is any indication, my friend's British SERIOUSLY have their work cut out for them.

Last edited:

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played WO32 Corps Value against Mark DeVries today. This is the third time we have visited this battle in ASL format (the other two times were Fish to Fry from Rally Point). I had the misfortune of playing the North Koreans all three times. Mark is an old friend and a Marine so I let him be the Jar heads all three times.

Mark rolled over me like I wasn't even there. At least the FT tank broke the FT and MA on the first shots for each respective weapon. Otherwise, Mark was able to move right though the mines and most of my defensive fire unmolested. The 37 AA gun got off a good ambush and killed some of infantry but it was powerless against an over running Pershing. MOL, DC suicide hero and fire at his CE crews all had no effect on the armored juggernaughts. I conceded before he found the AT Gun and other DC hero. My dice were pretty bad (I cycle through 8 pairs of dice so I can see my past rolls and at one point none of the 8 pairs showed anything lower than an 8. I did get a HOB Fanatic by the squad with the MMG but that doesn't help much when facing hordes of powerful tanks supported by Marine squads. It was ASL so I did have some fun but I found this one to be even less interesting for the North Koreans than Fish to Fry-I'll just leave it at that.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played WO32 Corps Value against Mark DeVries today. This is the third time we have visited this battle in ASL format (the other two times were Fish to Fry from Rally Point). I had the misfortune of playing the North Koreans all three times. Mark is an old friend and a Marine so I let him be the Jar heads all three times.

Mark rolled over me like I wasn't even there. At least the FT tank broke the FT and MA on the first shots for each respective weapon. Otherwise, Mark was able to move right though the mines and most of my defensive fire unmolested. The 37 AA gun got off a good ambush and killed some of infantry but it was powerless against an over running Pershing. MOL, DC suicide hero and fire at his CE crews all had no effect on the armored juggernaughts. I conceded before he found the AT Gun and other DC hero. My dice were pretty bad (I cycle through 8 pairs of dice so I can see my past rolls and at one point none of the 8 pairs showed anything lower than an 8. I did get a HOB Fanatic by the squad with the MMG but that doesn't help much when facing hordes of powerful tanks supported by Marine squads. It was ASL so I did have some fun but I found this one to be even less interesting for the North Koreans than Fish to Fry-I'll just leave it at that.
Sounds like you tried everything- It's way more interesting if the Norks kill a tank or two.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just got done with my 2nd RO scenario RO7 STONE AGE CAVES against my buddy Curtis Brooks (Russians). My Germans start in a hole already suffering from Ammo Shortage, a mixed bag of very few defending troops, and I have to defend two gutted factories; added to this is a wire perimeter that has some serious flaws in its coverage at critical junctures (placed by SSR per specific hexes) and his sniper has a greater SAN than mine. The Russians have a plethora of good troops (E&1 stealthy to boot) and SW, a Smoke making 82mm Mtr AND the possibility of the random DR3 Smokestack Snipers.

Needless to say The Russian initiated the scenario with a smoke mission and several HW assults to get in close. My first few D1F fires were an 11 (Malf HMG), 11 (Malf LMG), 12 (X'd out a LMG Qual Reduced a 548>447), 10-doubles (Final Fired a unit about to get visitors), and an 11 (Malf MMG). However, I was nonplussed and thought to myself "Cheer up, things could be worse", so I cheered up, and sure enough, things got worse. A few bright spots were almost immediately cancled; a good shot followed by a sniper generation for the Russians or numerous doubles when taking a D1F shot. The HMG didn't come back until T3 (never getting a ROF the entire game) and at least 2 more LMGs would "X" out on repair attempts as well as another Sqd Qual Reduced for ammo shrtg. Then thing started to go down hill! Once in the edifices the Russian's superior FP and CC abilities coupled with PP shooting/CC on my part made for a quick game of it. All in all a solid Russian victory with very few casualties. As for the fun factor, it was a blast for Russians (literally), for me it was like sitting down to an equine excrement sandwich. Perhaps a different defensive posture or slightly ? better luck may have made it a more interesting scenario (but I doubt it).

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My first few D1F fires were an 11 (Malf HMG), 11 (Malf LMG), 12 (X'd out a LMG Qual Reduced a 548>447), 10-doubles (Final Fired a unit about to get visitors), and an 11 (Malf MMG).
Hey! Save some of those rolls for our next game!

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Just got done with my 2nd RO scenario RO7 STONE AGE CAVES against my buddy Curtis Brooks (Russians). My Germans start in a hole already suffering from Ammo Shortage, a mixed bag of very few defending troops, and I have to defend two gutted factories; added to this is a wire perimeter that has some serious flaws in its coverage at critical junctures (placed by SSR per specific hexes) and his sniper has a greater SAN than mine. The Russians have a plethora of good troops (E&1 stealthy to boot) and SW, a Smoke making 82mm Mtr AND the possibility of the random DR3 Smokestack Snipers.

Needless to say The Russian initiated the scenario with a smoke mission and several HW assults to get in close. My first few D1F fires were an 11 (Malf HMG), 11 (Malf LMG), 12 (X'd out a LMG Qual Reduced a 548>447), 10-doubles (Final Fired a unit about to get visitors), and an 11 (Malf MMG). However, I was nonplussed and thought to myself "Cheer up, things could be worse", so I cheered up, and sure enough, things got worse. A few bright spots were almost immediately cancled; a good shot followed by a sniper generation for the Russians or numerous doubles when taking a D1F shot. The HMG didn't come back until T3 (never getting a ROF the entire game) and at least 2 more LMGs would "X" out on repair attempts as well as another Sqd Qual Reduced for ammo shrtg. Then thing started to go down hill! Once in the edifices the Russian's superior FP and CC abilities coupled with PP shooting/CC on my part made for a quick game of it. All in all a solid Russian victory with very few casualties. As for the fun factor is was a blast for Russians, for me it was like sitting down to an equine excrement sandwich. Perhaps a different defensive posture or slightly ? better luck may have made it a more interesting scenario (but I doubt it).
Sound like you got hit by buzzsaw.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Took the day off of work to finish The Sixth Blow v2 against Jeff Deyoung. I managed to pull off a surprise win as the Axis when Jeff conceded after he failed to crack my left flank in a desperate and furious assault by AFVs,Infantry and Cavalry. We set this scenario up about 5 months ago and it took us 3 sessions to complete it. This caused both of us to make several errors as the gaps in playings made everything feel disjointed. That being said, this scenario was a blast. If you haven't played it, I suggest you put it on your must play list.

Some highlights: I lost both PzIV to a SU-85 that was set up on a hill and firing at me from ranges of 15 or more. One PzIV was flamed as it moved down a road and was only in his LOS for 1 hex, then he pivoted and fired at the other PzIV and knocked it out! This SU-85 was then immobilized by a lucky hit from one of the 75* ART pieces-the crew bailed and was then broken by another 75* shot, broken crew was then killed by failure to route by a marauding Hungarian 4-4-7 on horseback! The Panther with the AL was destroyed by a bomb hit, the next turn I shot down a FB when the Flak PZ rolled a "2" with AA fire. There were several huge fires started by the rocket OBA (see pic below), I lost 2 Psk equipped cavalry squads when they blundered into separate minefields, The surviving Panther took out a moving Sherman with a shot that both of us were shocked that I had LOS (fired CMG to check it first) and then hit an SU-85 only to roll a dud!, my 9-2 and MMG manned by a HS managed to get a -4 shot against some of his cavalry and then rolled a "3"!,

I would love to play this one again.

It's getting a bit hot for my 4-4-7 on horse back!

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

My story for this one is a lesson on NOT moving in stacks. Yes, I should and do know better, but sometimes you have a brain lapse. My 9-2 leader and uber stack of 3 marine squads entered the board and into the stone buildings. Bam! Minefield. They all break...North Korean half of the turn, the DC toating suicide hero unHIPs from the steeple location and comes down to administer the coup de grace. It was down hill from there...

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My story for this one is a lesson on NOT moving in stacks. Yes, I should and do know better, but sometimes you have a brain lapse. My 9-2 leader and uber stack of 3 marine squads entered the board and into the stone buildings. Bam! Minefield. They all break...North Korean half of the turn, the DC toating suicide hero unHIPs from the steeple location and comes down to administer the coup de grace. It was down hill from there...
That's why I love this game. Exact same scenario and the results couldn't be more different!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fausts at Wethen DftB DB143 Ruhr pocket, '45. As predicted, the German squad in the graveyard did not last long, and was captured. I brought almost all of the US force on to go after the north side of the village. The other side was like a shooting gallery for the jeeps. I managed to lose the Sherman with the 9-1 al on board to a 4 hex 'schreck shot, which put me instantly in danger of going over the CVP cap. But, not to fear, Ami firepower and mobility won the day. The Volksgrenadiers can't fall back far. US Victory.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J97 A Nice Morning for a Ride. Interesting scenario in that both sides have to attack and defend. I spread my Germans across the northern and eastern sides of the river and put a couple of 1/2 squads, concealments, and the RCL on the south. I lucked out when my RCL shot at the escaping hero on turn 1 resulted in my friend rolling boxcars. That one turn delay (by SSR, if the hero exits on turn one, the British reinforcements enter on turn two, turn 3 if not) probably saved the game for me. Steady pressure drove the British back, but damn did they make some great MC rolls. I got another break when the British squad manning the northern pillbox CRed leaving only the 9-2 in there (who subsequently died in CC). I secured the eastern side, but the Brits crossed a three squad group on the western part of the stream and the rest started making frantic rushes across the bridge. With all the hindrances, the rushes weren't that risky. The day was saved when the 88L took out a tank crossing the bridge (thank you ROF!) and the 40LL immobilized another right before the bridge (two other tanks had already been dispatched). Closer than I thought it'd be based on ROAR; I thought the scenario was just OK.

Having played all three Primosole Bridge scenarios in a row, my overall feeling was, meh. All the scenarios were dominated by terrain and/or mist hindrances. This forced us to play "in your face" but the games seemed bogged down by all the hindrance calculations and slow movement through the terrain. We were initially going to try a campaign game instead of the scenarios. I'm glad we didn't. The scenarios weren't bad, but there was a certain deja vu feeling about them. Both my friend and I are glad to be moving on.

Last edited:

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MLR 01 Hana Saku

Wound up being a pretty tame game with lots of mistakes on both sides. The forward Canadian defense cost them their best leader by the end of turn 2 but the Japanese were whittled away to the point that they could barely muster the strength to clear the hill top, let alone confront the mmc and bren gun set up in the backfield.

MLR02 Troteval Farm

Man, what a fun scenario! Despite getting absolutely diced in the first two turns and taking massive casualties the Canadians managed to take three quarters of the farm but just couldn't dislodge the remaining German 4-4-7s in the cellar, even with a generous extra turn. I think there's a lot of replay value in this one, and it really seemed to capture the atmosphere and terrain of the Canadian push in July.

J180 The Zero Hour

I'm a sucker for anything late war and this was an interesting one that pitted a horde of crappy Wehrmacht , a handful of Brit scout cars, and a couple squads of SAS snake eaters against a small group of SS hold outs who are experiencing ammo shortage but have great leadership. It was fun, with conscript Wehrmacht squads disrupting all over the place. Ultimately the SS bitter enders lived to fight another day, with the SAS going down early in CC and to some really poor dice rolls. The woods also constrained the armor and two were lost after their infantry cover was vaporized, leaving the press ganged Wehrmacht units to slug it out alone. Surprisingly, they managed to kill three out of the five SS squads but ran out of both strength and time. Despite the number of squads I think its tough on the Allies.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The First Virtue ASL AP127. Elba, Italy, ‘44. Free French force must take out a 50mm AT and or control hill hexes, and or exit. The Germans are a small force of Herman Goering’s finest. I brought my Frenchmen onto the large woods at the base of the board 78 hill. I advanced out of it and got lit up. The PaK38 went on a tear and flanking fire from the board 5a hill caused a lot of havoc too. After a few turns, I was able to gain the first trench line, but the German reinforcements were on board by then, and I had too few Frenchmen, and not enough time. German victory.

Against the same defense, perhaps come on board 5a, angle over to the cover, and just go for the EVP.

Good scenario.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Against the same defense, perhaps come on board 5a, angle over to the cover, and just go for the EVP.

Good scenario.
I concur with your sound advice.
That is exactly the approach which I used to win as the French when I played this scenario last year.