So what scenarios have you played Recently?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bloodied at Wheeler BFP CtR-12 Corregidor '45, US Airborne trying take whats left of a costal artillery battery from the IJA. My opponent set up a defense in depth, with the IJA falling back. I sent most of the Paratroopers from the north, with a platoon coming from the east to keep them honest. A buzz saw of Japanese lead made all movement difficult, but I got in some blows too. Finally got across the U25 to AA22 road from the NCOs Quarters on the 4th try. WP from the 60mm MTRs helped. My diversion attack actually got on the hill first. US victory on the end, with a single HS remaining of the Japanese OB. Brutal.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I played against Kenneth Knusden of Denmark in ASO round 2. Kenneth was last year's ASO winner. The scenario was DTF-5 AK'44. I bid German, he bid Partisan. After three turns of play, it was obvious to me that I could not win. It did not help that I missed every deployment roll that I made. Kenneth had defended more in the rear than in the front, but kept the sniper in the front to make the infiltrators appear there. I had lost one Panther, several units and the sniper had nailed my best leader. I had captured one Partisan squad and broken several others, but not every Partisan squad broke.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Played ASL Scenario 23 Under the Noel Trees today, as the American. First TH roll was boxcars, and that was pretty much all she wrote. I'll leave you all with this cheerful image of my VASL DRs. I am beginning to think that this game does not like me at all.

Alan

View attachment 7742
Well, after 15 rolls, a DR average of 7.93 did not have much time to balance itself out.

There used to be a function of the ASL Scenario Archive website that I liked a lot. But since VASL displays the dice as pictures now and not as numbers as back in the days, it is defunct.

Only games with a minimum of 50 DRs per side were taken into account to make the results a bit more statistically relevant. The data displayed is based on close to 140,000 DRs in more than 1,400 sessions.

I have the dubious distinction of having been on the receiving end in both Gringo's sessions which won him 1st and 5th place in the "Best Rollers Leaderboard" and featuring 4th place myself in the "Worst Rollers Leaderboard". I still remember those games - they seemed unreal. Who ever said war would be just?

Overall, though, things even out:

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In my third ASO round, I played HF6 JACKPOT JONES. I had the German attacker against Oddgeir Drevdal of Norway. He set up his troops pretty far forward. I split my forces in two. Most of the 548, the Panther and 1 Pz4 attacked into the buildings. The rest came in on the orchard side. This helped me early, but I needed to play all the turns to push the American troops out of the locations that I needed.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Magnus Rimvall and I got in two scenarios today FtF at his place in Sweden. In DTF-05 AK'44, as the Germans in the last turn, I needed to win one of three CC attacks to deny Mangus having 40 VP. Two 2-1 and one 1-1 and I didn't win any of them. Our second scenario was RPT76 Duropa Plantation. My Japanese defenders were successful in preventing 7 VP of Australian infantry from exiting the map. I was lucky in two particular CC attacks that help make that happen.
I trust the weather is not too bad over there this time of year but then you are used to it!

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, after 15 rolls, a DR average of 7.93 did not have much time to balance itself out.

There used to be a function of the ASL Scenario Archive website that I liked a lot. But since VASL displays the dice as pictures now and not as numbers as back in the days, it is defunct.
Overall, though, things even out:

View attachment 7749
Understood. This scenario is particularly dicey, and I am in the middle of an incredibly long losing streak. Hence the personal morale crisis. ;<

Alan

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I played against Thomas Harjo of Norway in my fourth ASO round. Due to boards and overlay issues, we played SP181 THE ELEPHANT OF SURPIRSE. I had the defending Germans. I did not put the key Elefant pieces in good locations. As well, when I revealed the first one, it missed an easy shot, got the IF kill, but it was eliminated soon after. I stupidly put the second one on board for a shot that had a blocked LOS. I conceded after that.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My last ASO round was with another Norwegian player, Øyvind Bjørkås who lives near the Artic circle(!). Our scenario of choice was AP90 SMASHING THE HOOK. I bid B0, Oyvind bid J0 (there was an ASO adjustment removing one HS and 4 concealment counters from the Japanese). I attacked aggressively, mostly along the road, using my AFVs to lock the fire of every Japanese that I saw. I took a chance that there was no HIP nearby. I should not have. A moving stack of three squads with leader was hit with a 6 FP attack and everyone broke. My dice that helped everone break, treated me badly for most of the game. They are no longer with me. I reached and cleared the first road block reasonably fast but my units were a somewhat strung out. Oyvind had decent luck destroying bypassing AFV with CC. At the end of the last Japanese turn, I had a small number of units near the second roadblock; so did Oyvind so there was no way I was going to be able to clear them out. My record at ASO was two victories and three defeats.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
You sent them to Aruba for some R&R. Good idea!

JR
The shock of going from the Caribbean Islands to the frozen north was simply too much. Maybe the Mrs. should have knitted some woolen sweaters for them instead of drinking umbrella drinks.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Jason Wert's SS came up just a bit short in our game of BoF11 Second Thoughts.

AAR available at my blog: Cardboard Warrior

Thanks for reading!
Looking at the thread I did not recognize the scenario until I read your blog which was nice and very self-effacing. "Hack" indeed! I played this at a distant Grenadier tournament and did enjoy it despite my loss.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CtR 4 Return to the Rock from BFP's Corregidor Pack - This scenario features the drop by Americans right onto the Parade Grounds. Featuring the HASL map, three waves of paratroopers descend and have to clear the Japanese away from the area. My drop , well I don't know if it was good or bad. Guys were everywhere, a lot were broken, many sw's were never recovered, but I think that simulates pretty well the action, and in the end we had a pretty good fight. The paratroopers rallied back, some tried to establish a perimeter to stop the IJA squads from infiltrating back into the parade ground area, others hunted down the squads that were already positioned there. In the end the US wasn't able to be everywhere, and the IJA won with a few squads south of the parade grounds, in the Officers Quarters area. Quite a unique ASL experience. Image below is from mid-game. Several IJA squads are outside the picture, and closed in for the win.

Last edited:

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
J183 A Real Barn Burner Very subtle scenario in which the Germans are interposed between fanatic French defenders and French relieving forces. My (German) forwarded defense delayed the French, but bad setup made that at last some French scurried away to get their objective. My advice is to forward defense but cover both sides of the hedgerow, using the delaying time to entrench the back defense. Great scenario. And thanks to The Drake for suggesting it.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
This scenario is indeed a gem, I've played it twice myself and enjoyed both times. As the Germans, I set up enough force close to the farm that I managed to seize it before the French reinforcements could reach it; it's pretty tough for them once the buildings are full of Germans. But I can see where the Germans might want to just prevent the French from reaching it.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Erik Lindblad and I played DB139 A HARD RAIN'S GONA FALL. This scenario has two unique special rules that make it interesting to play. One SSR allows all Japanese MG to place fire lanes at the beginning of the Australian MPh, before any movement. The units doing so must only roll for cower. The other neat SSR grants self-rally capability to all Australian elite and first line MMC. I had the Japanese defender in our game. The Aussies wish to exit 5 VP or make the four HMG/MMG not good order. Erik came up the middle and gradually shifted to his left, but the multiple interlocking fire lanes prevented the Aussies from big movement. The Japanese have 4 LMG, 2 MMG and 2 HMG (one is a .50). I think I had good dice; there were quite a few broken and dead Aussie units. In the fourth Japanese turn a low odds CC against his most forward stack went my way to seal the deal; Erik conceded at that point.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Ethnic Cleansing [FT236] I played my second scenario from this pack. It is set in 1941 Yugoslavia with Serb partisans vs. Albanians and Italians. No wonder massacre is allowed! Fun, low firepower scenario with some interesting units. I am a Partisan counter (unfortunately not of Tito caliber) and partial to such actions. Most of the time we were trying to rally broken units. Key unit was my Partisan mortar which rained death and destruction upon the enemy forcing an Axis surrender on turn six. The Italians have got to keep their AC's from being killed as the VP value of five makes it hard to maintain more VP's than the Partisans if the Italians fail to get many buildings or hill hexes.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ray, thank you for posting. In regards to the massacre VP. If the Axis player massacres a Partisan squad, is that 4VP (the normal value for a prisoner squad at game end) or 8VP ( I ask because of the "doubling" wording in the VC)? I think its 4, but several of these new FT scenarios have this VC wording, and thought I'd ask.