So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played AP65 Baw Drop as Japanese. The attacking Japanese must seize huts and grab supply counters dropped on the battlefield after British setup. One flaw of the scenario is that the supply counters may land on favorable ground for either side depending on the vagaries of Drift DRs. Fortunately DRs were equitable this time. Nevertheless having to grab the supply counters and face the furious Japanese assault may be a bit too much for the British, who collapsed under pressure. One way to make the scenario more balanced while keeping it fun would have been to let the British move first so that they can grab more parcels fallen from the sky before the storm breaks. It was a fun game nevertheless.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CtR 6 Black and Blue Swarms from the new BFP Corregidor Pack. A seaborne assault scenario - 14 US Army squads backed by 2 Shermans and NOBA land on Black Beach. The entire IJA force is HIP and the GI's were not able to find enough of them to meet the VC which requires them to destroy or force most of the IJA OOB away from the beach area.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The entire IJA force is HIP and the GI's were not able to find enough of them to meet the VC which requires them to destroy or force most of the IJA OOB away from the beach area.
A structural design defect?

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A structural design defect?
I think so. VC reads "The Americans win at game end if there are <3 Good Order Japanese MMC within 5 hexes of any Beach Location or immediately by accumulating >15 CVP"

There are many locations within 5 hexes of the beach. Also, the beach is "L" shaped so you can't start at one end and work your way down. USA takes one turn to land minimum. Lastly, the USA has 6.5 turns to achieve this VC. Seems like a tall order to me.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Deutsch Lesson FrF100 Germany '45, Scotsmen V. Fallschirmjager, with armor support for both sides. The FJ speed bump force set up in the yCC treeline, with the captured 6pdr. This gun burned a Sherman, but the FJ were overrun by T2. Thus the English got to the area of the RR tracks, so the Germans had to attack into the teeth of the Shermans and Wolverines. Bad shooting by the Fallschimjager did not help either. The Brit's won the tank duel and thus the scenario.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Black Day in Hatten-this was my 4th scenario from Hatten in Flames and my first as the scenario attacker. I set up for a strong push on my left flank. I got 1 shot of WP off (rolled a 12 with other MTR), both BAZ also failed rolls for WP. I made steady progress on the first 3 turns and I caught my opponent off guard as he had to shift much of his OB to this side of the map. Mid game things started to bog down for me-I was able to keep grinding away when I could get a shot but my opponent didn't give me too many. Last two turns saw me pushing almost recklessly to secure the last couple of victory buildings. I lost one Hellcat to a "1" sniper, the Hellcat with the armor leader was recalled when I foolishly attempted to repair the MA. My remaining Hellcat skulked in the backfield as I needed it to survive as there was no way I would be able to take his Alamo position in the final building. Things weren't looking good on the last turn when I needed to break a fanatic 5-4-8 in the other victory building. I got a NMC with my 18+4 Prep Fire shot. The German rolled a "12" and I managed to get the 9-1 and 2 squads into the hex for the win. I liked the VC that encourages the American player to conserve his TD's.

We are taking a break from Hatten and next up is Radio X-Mas from the new LFT Italian pack. I have the Italians.

Plan on revisiting Hatten in the future.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
"Dusted" off Chapter F to play El Himeimat Ridge [FT238] in our inaugural game of the new LFT magazine. With the Italians dug in upon a hill with few avenues of approach it was a tough slog to get close to them. Firing on the Italians from any distance in the first three turns is subject to heavy and light mists as well as a light dust roll. Despite huge Free French fire groups as they moved forward little damage was done to the Italian defenses. With the turn four lifting of the mist both sides started taking casualties. Because we spent a lot of time the first three turns calculating results given the variable mods, we did not finish our game ? for the second week in a row. At least Dave Stephens and I are getting a lot of practice in our weekly games. For those that will try this scenario the Italian right flank is best for getting forward in an attempt to interdict the critical Italian reinforcements but one that will surely be well defended. I went the other way which include climbing some cliffs (no humpty dumpty falls BTW) hoping to get some ATR men on the level four hill tops to shoot up the German armored cars but most broke or fell victim to well placed mine fields. Good, though, to get back to the desert especially after this rainy and snowy winter.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The REMAKE from the Texas people of STREETS OF STALINGRAD. vs. Ben Richardson. We have been playing it over 2 months on 3? 4? Friday nights. WE called it a draw because on the one end of the map-Guards counterattack-I was in the process of taking the victory buildings from the Germans and on the other map--tractor works-I was in the process of losing the factory.
ENTERTAINING dice rolls. Rally attempt of a 628. SNAKE EYES....HOB roll? SNAKE EYES...so a fanatic squad with a hero.
To hit attempt for a T34M41. 12! MALF! Next to hit attempt by his brother T34.....12! MALF! The dice giveth and the dice taketh away.....

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Played FT230 - Italian Behemoths as the South Africans yesterday vs Aaron Cleavin, a rare F2F game these days. I lost (no surprises there) but liked what i saw. Fire discipline on the South African player part is a must (second line squads), whereas a hyper aggressive Italian player may well get their head handed to them. the combination of Light woods, Brush and in season orchards make the level 2 Hill positioning vital to allow the South African defenders to dictate the pace of the advance. The advance picket line/forlorn hope is not a throw away force by any means but the South African player should not compromise the main line of resistance to try and "save" those forces...otherwise it can lead to a mid-late game bums rush for the exit.

Recommended for tourneys although I think it is possibly a turn too long for the South Africans to hold. one less turn and the time pressure might just bring the game to a tight finish.

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Just finished up playing WO26 Phoenix Rising, vs Aaron. An excellent scenario that went to the wire with Aaron's penultimate FPF shot causing my brave 9-1 to finally fail a 1MC and prevent him capturing the last ART (unmanned). (he'd survived five shots prior to that all at -1 or worse)

Kudos to Ken Dunn for a design that is a larger and better Totsugeki. Lots of toys for the GMD player to use: 70mm OBA +PRH, 2 x '44 FB with bombs (no napalm though so Na-Palmer was conspicuous by his absence, WP Infantry smoke, FTs, DCs, MGs out the wazoo and the entire countermix of 537s,

Definitely would put this on my Evening Playlist. Deluxe PTO is In Your face ASL with Finesse. Not a scenario for those who are prone to In game paralysis by analysis - maneuvering 26 537s optimally can take a while especially when trying to open pathways through to the hidden Guns.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
During the West Coast Melee weekend in Ontario, Califronia, played five games against excellent fun opponents:

Streets of Stalingrad (Texas ASL reboot) ASL C

Ended in a draw, with a German decisive victory averted in the last rolls of the game, a hand-to-hand melee in building 1K5.

Landstorm Over Arnhem FT 179

German victory in the last turn, with the British counterattack into the 6th victory building turned away. Might give the Brits the balance if played again.

Streets of Carpiquet MwT 7

Played twice over the weekend, the Canadian players protected and used the Crocodile effectively. In the Mini tournament, the German side won at least 2 of 4 games. Personally might want to give the Germans a squad if played again.

Aces Over Eights KE 9

I have much to learn about using smoke to help my Shermans. Wittmann burned two Shermans, malfunctioned the Main Armament but repaired it.

All scenarios I’d love to try again, a very fun weekend.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
LFT243 Send more Pigeons II, FtF with an old ASL friend.

I played the Italians (21 346 squads) trying to stop US paras and British of the 50th division to join.
Usaaians enter the north and British the south.
The US troops managed to do a decent advance, but the British progress met with many problems.
My Italians played speed bumps most of the time, skulking and retreating progressively.
The British lost a CC which cost them one of their best leaders - at odds which should have granted them an easy win.
I managed to keep a 347+LMG hidden - the British went past them (I held my breath, as they were very close to advance in their Location) and, later on, when they crossed a road believing that they were out of LOS, my puny 4 -2 attack scored a KIA against the 9-1 and two 457 stack. RS had a double, killing one 457 and the leader, the remaining broken 457 failing its 1LLMC.
The game stopped at about turn 4 (of 7) as my Italians had reaped the 14 CVP cap that meant an allied immediate defeat.

I believe that the Allies should not go into CC, as my Italians can be overcome quite easily by normal fire - but the Allies do have to move steadily, so advancing into an Italian key position with good CC odds (non elite Italians are Lax which means that they can be ambushed more easily) is tempting.

All in all, a nice infantry only (barring a lone British Carrier A) scenario which can be played by three players - nice SSR twist : the Usaians must complete each game Phase before the Brits do (and if three players are playing, the Usaainans and the British may not communicate one with the other).
Here is the end game situation.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CtR9 - Corregidor - Black Beach Slaughter - And a slaughter it was. US lost 7 squads and the 9-2 leader before being able to get off the beach and the game was over - the at start 41 CVP's available to exit to fulfill the VC, down to 24 ( 20 needed to exit to win )
UDT rolls were very successful, but the 150 ART gun situated in 43B2 had LOS to the whole beach, the US landed on the angle of the beach (24CC1) .. pretty far away actually from the IJA, but they appeared and repositioned in brush/jungle not far away (24W3) and shot the GI's up. Artillery never had a chance to get into play. US FB isn't coming until turn 4 and the 14 US squads have to land, fight their way across tough terrain to an exit area the IJA knows they are headed to, and the IJA including reinforcements have 14 squads of their own, plus 13 machine guns, and pillboxes/trenches/wire/mines. Maybe there is a better way to land than what our game experienced. Landing at the base of the town might provide more cover, but then the distance and obstacles to fight through to get to the VC exit area are significantly more difficult. US does have an advantage that its a 10 turn game. Maybe come in as waves and not land everyone at the same time? However, this one is a lot to expect from the Americans.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
LFT243 Send more Pigeons II, FtF with an old ASL friend.I

All in all, a nice infantry only (barring a lone British Carrier A) scenario which can be played by three players - nice SSR twist : the Usaians must complete each game Phase before the Brits do (and if three players are playing, the Usaainans and the British may not communicate one with the other).
We looked at this for a three player scenario. Glad you posted this AAR.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CtR 6 Black and Blue Swarms from the new BFP Corregidor Pack. A seaborne assault scenario - 14 US Army squads backed by 2 Shermans and NOBA land on Black Beach. The entire IJA force is HIP and the GI's were not able to find enough of them to meet the VC which requires them to destroy or force most of the IJA OOB away from the beach area.
This scenario needs a Fort customary SSR - all hippies must reveal themselves at the beginning of turn 4.

Rich

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Planned for two scenarios in case the first was a blow out. It was. I had the defending Italians in J20 The Guns of Naro. I set everything as close as I could to the entering turn 1 Americans. My luck was neither great nor poor, but before the end of the Italian turn 1 PFPh I had knocked out every US unit except for a shocked or immobilized (I can't remember which it was) Stuart. The ATR had yet to fire and I was going to maneuver the squad manning it for a PB rear shot. Already up 29 points (only needing 32 for the win) and with automatic air support on the way, we ended it. The game was pretty much a dud. Having played a few Italian scenarios lately, I knew once the Americans bring their guns to bear, the Italians are in a world of hurt. I went with the up front defense to prevent this, but also, I just wanted to see if I could actually wipe out the turn 1 Americans. Turns out it can be done.

We moved on to J51 Canicatti after that. Similar to J20 with the Germans defending the hills this time vs the entering Americans. As the Germans, I once again decided to put the AT Guns up front on the level 4 hills. I did so to 1) prevent the Americans from just rolling up unscathed, and 2) I figured some of the Shermans would have to give up a flank shot due to the crossfire. It probably would have been more prudent to just have one up front, but I thought it would be worth the risk. During the course of the game, I ended up taking out three tanks but lost one Gun to a CH and the other on a 12 MC roll. My only chance for the automatic win (kill four tanks) was to move one of my reverse slope 1/2 squads and try to man the vacated 50L. They manned it, survived two shots at them, and then proceeded to roll snakes on the APCR To Hit roll. Game. Luck played a significant role in this scenario as I took out three tanks with CHs. However, my friend's dice weren't bad either as he survived every bail out roll except for one, got the aforementioned CH on one of my Guns, and recovered two UK in succession the RPh after they were stunned. Obviously better than our first game of the day, but in the end, both of us thought the scenario was just OK.

Last edited:

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played scenario 126 Commando Schenke FtF with my friend and got crushed as the russians! We are still making the transition from starter kits to full ASL and this time we wanted to try concealment. I have to say, that the decision when to forfeit concealment for a shot really adds to the game.
I tried using some squads in the front as roadblocks for the approaching german force but all the FTs and 8-3-8s just rolled over them. As broken Squads failed to rally the germans didn't even bother to deal with them and pushed from the center at the fortified building. Following some unlucky rolls the last stack of squads was broken on turn 6, leaving no good order units in the fortified building. I had fun but am seriously wondering how the russians are supposed to win this scenario (also, ELR of 2 is just brutal).
I think I've won that scenario every time I've played as the Russians. Are you sure you played it right? You know the Germans can't enter any hex of that building if you have a good order full squad equivalent blocking their entry. The key is to set up a couple guys close enough to their setup area to deny concealment to the Germans, put a few units a little farther back in the middle and on the wings to keep them from running down the streets and then try to skulk everybody back to the building concealed and load up that building with concealed units with just enough firepower to keep them from charging straight up the middle. Eventually start moving upstairs. You need to make them spend four turns getting to the building.

MettIgel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I think I've won that scenario every time I've played as the Russians. Are you sure you played it right? You know the Germans can't enter any hex of that building if you have a good order full squad equivalent blocking their entry. The key is to set up a couple guys close enough to their setup area to deny concealment to the Germans, put a few units a little farther back in the middle and on the wings to keep them from running down the streets and then try to skulk everybody back to the building concealed and load up that building with concealed units with just enough firepower to keep them from charging straight up the middle. Eventually start moving upstairs. You need to make them spend four turns getting to the building.
Thanks for the tipps! As me and my friends are quite green players I am sure me made some rule mistakes and played far from optimally. To deny germans concealment during setup I have to forfeit the concealment of my units as well, right? We will play it again and see how it goes.