So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP6 Savannah Rain. I had the attacking Italians/Germans so before the game I shook my friend's hand and said congratulations on the win. I mean really, this scenario puts the poor Italians in a horrible starting position. No cover, no smoke, and a lot of open ground to cross to take out elite Americans in stone buildings. The only way I thought I might be able to pull this off was by spreading my men out a little more than half the length of board 43 with most of the extra men towards the east. I ran forward in straight lines and the western section of the line got their teeth kicked in. Not a lot of kills but a lot of ELR breaks. The eastern side fared a bit better but I still had a lot of broken men there as well. The 150mm OBA pounded a group and by the end of turn one, my western flank was in shambles. The eastern side was on the ropes. Then a funny thing happened. I (finally) broke one squad on the eastern side and that gave me just enough room to make yet another mad dash towards the city on that side. Once my tanks came in, I was able to pin down several squads in the east. By turn four, the tables were turning and the Americans were on the defensive. Though a lot of men were broken, 1/2 squads, or conscripts, the sheer weight of my numbers began tell. I bagged five prisoners and took out two more squads. With my tanks pinching the Americans from the north, west, and east and my ragtag mass of men on the east pushing relentlessly forward, my friend called it quits. He just didn't have enough men to hold back everything that was coming his way. We played 6 (of 8) turns and let me tell you, we both agreed it was grueling! We were both mentally exhausted at the end of the scenario. How do I know? Besides the fact that we both agreed on this point, we started making small errors that we usually don't make i.e. forgetting to move a tank, taking a potshot at a broken squad to keep it DM, running men out in front of obvious clear LOS shots, etc. None of these things were game changers, it just proved to us how much was going on and how taxing it was on us. In the end, however, was it fun? We both said no. I think the Italians have a seriously tough go in this scenario. If they can luck out like I did and hold until the German tanks come on, they might have a shot. The Americans have to hold a long line with few men. Reinforce a collapsing side opens the other vacated side to possible counterattack. Having said that, with just slightly better rolls from the Americans on turn one, the game could've been over quick. Worth a playing, I suppose, but be prepared for a very short - or very long - game.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Played AP6 Savannah Rain. I think the Italians have a serious tough go in this scenario.
I think players with a masochistic bent enjoy playing the Italians. They will probably not appreciate LFT's 5-4-8 Übermenschen.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think players with a masochistic bent enjoy playing the Italians.
Well I certainly don't have one, but I looked ahead at the upcoming scenarios in my queue and in three of the four scenarios that feature them they have an ELR of 1. Yikes!

Last edited:

Lizardking

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llCanada
My second ever try at ASL. Sat down against Rob in Ottawa to protect the Motherland from the field grey hoard in a Latvian Forest (SP24). After an agonizing decision to not swap out that Sergeant for a proper motivating force (alas, in the end even a Polytruk handing out Lead Stars would not have saved the day), we sat down to some serious trench warfare. A few strategic errors on my part, I didn't know trenches and foxholes could be setup HIP. Despite that, a North-South line of trenches anchored by foxholes tried to stem the tide. After a Deus-ex-machina type RS roll from a sniper attack on the Germans (yup, a leader and two squads got chosen by the fickle-finger-of-fate with a TRIPLE SIX roll, Wounded the leader, broke the other wussies) I was then thouroughly mopped by a sweep around south (Lesson learned, protect those field pieces). Almost pulled off a victory by getting down to the last CC roll in the foxholes (to prevent a three OB fortification VC) when my conscripts decided to give the ultimate sacrifice for Uncle Joe. Never did fire that damn mortar. Next time Rob, next time.

(edited to Bold the Scenario)

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last Friday, Steve Bond and I played 4.5 turns of Primosolee Bridge CG III Scenario 13 July Night.

As the defending Italians, I was very dismayed about the setup restrictions. Essentially, almost all of the benefits given to a Scenario Defender in a Night scenario are negated by the setup restrictions. The Italian troops must setup on or adjacent to a paved road hex in a building or fortification, with no more than 1 MMC per hex. With 10 Italian MMC units and 10 eligible hexes, you can immediately see that dummy counters will not be needed. I did hip the guns and 2 squad equivalents allowed, but my opponent knew there were units in those hexes, but not which units.

Steve's glider landings to the North went fine, with one of the Gun RGs being depleted (so he had 3 guns / crews/ jeeps instead of 4). His paratroops landed (one stick to the North, one South) with a bit of scatter, but no real damage done. One unfortunate squad landed almost on top of a pillbox, so some of the Italian troops put down their wine relatively quickly, and tracers began to light up the environs. He received his reinforcements on turn 2, which did not help the Italian morale much.

I knew that this scenario was going to be brutal for the Italians. I tried to delay as much as possible, and dish out as much pain while I could. After 4.5 turns, the Brtis had cleared the area of all Italian units, sans the Autocarreta, which was sitting in a paved road hex wondering what in the name of hell he should do. The price the British side paid was 3 6-4-8 paratroop squads eliminated, plus an 8-1 leader.

We will begin my Turn 5 this Friday, in which a German caravan will be lead like lambs to the slaughter into a village ready and waiting for them. I can only look forward to the July 14 AM and PM turns when the Brits have to hold and the Germans counter attack.

Alan

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My second ever try at ASL. Sat down against Rob in Ottawa to protect the Motherland from the field grey hoard in a Latvian Forest (SP24). After an agonizing decision to not swap out that Sergeant for a proper motivating force (alas, in the end even a Polytruk handing out Lead Stars would not have saved the day), we sat down to some serious trench warfare. A few strategic errors on my part, I didn't know trenches and foxholes could be setup HIP. Despite that, a North-South line of trenches anchored by foxholes tried to stem the tide. After a Deus-ex-machina type RS roll from a sniper attack on the Germans (yup, a leader and two squads got chosen by the fickle-finger-of-fate with a TRIPLE SIX roll, Wounded the leader, broke the other wussies) I was then thouroughly mopped by a sweep around south (Lesson learned, protect those field pieces). Almost pulled off a victory by getting down to the last CC roll in the foxholes (to prevent a three OB fortification VC) when my conscripts decided to give the ultimate sacrifice for Uncle Joe. Never did fire that damn mortar. Next time Rob, next time.

(edited to Bold the Scenario)
On the sniper situation. When you got the triple 6, he chooses which ONE of the units to apply the roll to and then has to re-roll against the other two. So unless he rolled a 2, followed by two ones,, the last two guys got off scott free. Fleeing in terror because the leader might died of his wounds not-withstanding.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last Friday, Steve Bond and I played 4.5 turns of Primosolee Bridge CG III Scenario 13 July Night.

As the defending Italians, I was very dismayed about the setup restrictions. Essentially, almost all of the benefits given to a Scenario Defender in a Night scenario are negated by the setup restrictions. The Italian troops must setup on or adjacent to a paved road hex in a building or fortification, with no more than 1 MMC per hex. With 10 Italian MMC units and 10 eligible hexes, you can immediately see that dummy counters will not be needed. I did hip the guns and 2 squad equivalents allowed, but my opponent knew there were units in those hexes, but not which units.

Steve's glider landings to the North went fine, with one of the Gun RGs being depleted (so he had 3 guns / crews/ jeeps instead of 4). His paratroops landed (one stick to the North, one South) with a bit of scatter, but no real damage done. One unfortunate squad landed almost on top of a pillbox, so some of the Italian troops put down their wine relatively quickly, and tracers began to light up the environs. He received his reinforcements on turn 2, which did not help the Italian morale much.

I knew that this scenario was going to be brutal for the Italians. I tried to delay as much as possible, and dish out as much pain while I could. After 4.5 turns, the Brtis had cleared the area of all Italian units, sans the Autocarreta, which was sitting in a paved road hex wondering what in the name of hell he should do. The price the British side paid was 3 6-4-8 paratroop squads eliminated, plus an 8-1 leader.

We will begin my Turn 5 this Friday, in which a German caravan will be lead like lambs to the slaughter into a village ready and waiting for them. I can only look forward to the July 14 AM and PM turns when the Brits have to hold and the Germans counter attack.

Alan
The German counterattack is very tough in this. My Italians were killed to the last man also, but the Germans gather steam as the CG wears on. This is a tough one on the British in the end.

Lizardking

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llCanada
On the sniper situation. When you got the triple 6, he chooses which ONE of the units to apply the roll to and then has to re-roll against the other two. So unless he rolled a 2, followed by two ones,, the last two guys got off scott free. Fleeing in terror because the leader might died of his wounds not-withstanding.
Exactly. Leader was chosen then wounded then 2 x ones. They eventually rolled up the South end of the fort line. I guess it was a proof for the law of averages.

ASLAddict

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This year I've had 4 games so far. 2 days ago SK#1 scenario "War of the Rats". In the first run late last year I played as a Russian and lost. Now I play on the German side and the chances are good to win. Next week it goes on......

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Exactly. Leader was chosen then wounded then 2 x ones. They eventually rolled up the South end of the fort line. I guess it was a proof for the law of averages.
Or proof that the law of averages.....isn't average ;-).

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I played SP267 DEATH'S HEAD DEBUT. Having played once as the Germans, I let Bruno take them this time. I did not contest the buildings north of the stream. I had one squad concealed in the wood building next to the bridge. A platoon went in trenches at the back of the first hill with one leader, one light mortar. The rear hill received one squad with the other light mortar in a trench, an AT gun and the big mortar. The other AT gun was in an orchard hex covering the bridge. The rest of the troops and assets were mostly in the stone buildings south of the stream, except for two squads in woods to cover the German east entry area.

The hilltop AT gun broke on its first shot, but the big mortar did great work laying smoke and blowing up infantry; it even immobilized one Pz3. The Germans entering from the east never accomplished much, being thrashed by my units there and two T34 that I sent there. The north entry Germans sent three Pz3, one halftrack, and two platoons of infantry into the stone buildings area. The rest of the German units went for the hill top. After three turns, the Germans had the hill top and were starting to cross the stream. The AT gun near the stream bounced a few rounds off of tanks until the crew broke. An ATR killed an empty halftrack; another ATR immobilized a Pz3 next to the stone buildings; that tank kept fighting till the end of the scenario. Bruno used his Pz4 tanks to cover the Pz3 tanks, which forced me to be careful with my T34 tanks. They did not get many easy shots versus enemy AFV and I lost two of the four by end game with the other two having broken MA by the end. Only one German tank was outright destroyed; it was killed in bypass either by an ATR, or by CC. One T34 even immobilized on its last turn on mechanical reliability roll. I hung in to the last turn because I still had a bit of infantry in enough multi-hex buildings, but Bruno waltzed some infantry in open ground, surviving 2 down 2 and 1 down 2 shots to guarantee that I would not have enough good order infantry in enough buildings to win.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
First Challenge, scenario 6 in CWASL Comp Gettysberg. Excellent scenario for introducing a newbie to ASL, as there is no artillery or colorbearers to deal with. Union outnumbered Confederates 2:1, but Confederates have far more freedom of movement
Quick playing 5 turn engagement. I let the newbie the larger Union force.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
First Challenge, scenario 6 in CWASL Comp Gettysberg. Excellent scenario for introducing a newbie to ASL, as there is no artillery or colorbearers to deal with. Union outnumbered Confederates 2:1, but Confederates have far more freedom of movement
Quick playing 5 turn engagement. I let the newbie the larger Union force.
The South will rise again!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Played DTF-4 which I somehow skipped playing at ASLOK. As noted under some of the Albany AAR's it seems to be good scenario and my weekly game with Dave Stephens was no exception. My Romanians set up pretty far back to avoid either the mortar or .50 cal MG but Dave went with four LMG's as the Russians. He attacked with all his infantry against the Russian right while the mounted INF on tanks went for the hill and the Russian left. My mortar and a squad delayed the Russians on my right which I needed to reinforce while the Russians quickly took the multi-hex building next to the center hill. It was nip and tuck for the until I brought my Stugs in to help the Russian right but these were outmaneuvered by the Russian T-34's. It look grim when a bounding fire eyes took out one Stug and only a motion attempt and smoke saved my other Stug. Had he got that Stug I would have surrendered as it was getting close to quitting time with issue much in doubt. My remaining Stug then charged the T-34 's roaring through both of them unscathed by four shots to set up a rear shot which destroyed one of them. As dinner was cooking chez lui and chez moi we called it a draw with about an hour left to play the last turn. Lots of fun playing this scenario!

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This weekend I solo played Firestorm at St. Manvieu from BFP's Beyond the Beachhead 2 scenario pack. Wow!

Before I set things up, I pulled out John Keegan's Six Armies in Normandy and re-read his chapter on Operation Epsom. He noted that the close terrain of bocage lined lanes and compact Norman villages seriously constrained the 15th Scottish Division's ability to project it's offensive power and by the first afternoon units had become disorganized, reoriented towards distracting, immediate tasks rather than their objectives, or mired in lengthy traffic jams of tanks and other vehicles. With its tight Norman village, narrow lanes, stone buildings, and bocage lined fields, the scenario map really conveyed the difficulties of carrying out a combined arms operation in this kind of environment. It's always a pleasure when a scenario brings you into the moment and allows you to better understand the battlefield conditions. I'm not usually inclined to write AARs but this scenario deserves one.

The Brits approach was to swing most of the infantry force around the west side of the village, drive through the woods, and into the backfield to ensure the 12th SS wouldn't be able to keep the >6 building locations they need in order to hold on to victory. I also wanted to avoid the narrow streets on the west side of the village ( it looked like a tiny Stalingrad waiting to happen) and decided to keep my armor and its supporting infantry devoted to grinding down the east side, hopefully keeping the schoolboys occupied while the infantry swept in for the kill. Given the scenario is 7.5 turns, I felt like I had plenty of time to push into the backfield and then mop up. I couldn't have been more wrong.

The Germans set up three lines of defenses, the first of which would be along the east west road north of the village, the second in the village center, and the third just south of the cemetery. This was where I located the fortified buildings for a final stand. Hopefully reinforcements would arrive in time to save the day. Lastly, the 75L HIP AT gun and a 8-1 leader covered the main north- south road.

The major challenge for the British involved avoiding armored gridlock and keeping the infantry organized and moving towards their objectives. No big deal right? This proved easier said that done since the armor initially was constrained in a column along the north south road as it approached the village. The infantry were also broken up crossing the bocage, requiring reorganizing. The creeping barrage skipped the first German defensive line and despite forming massive fire groups the Brits wasted three turns dislodging three squads of 6-5-8s from stone buildings (an incident which had me flashback to an old CG of KGP II) before they could move across the east- west road in force and into the woods in turns 4 & 5. By this time it was too late to get into the backfield in force and I was only able to snatch a few cottages on the southeast side of town. The prevalence of panzerfausts among the 6-5-8s also kept the armor at bay. Two Cromwells were smoked at the crossroads north of the village, forcing the remaining armor to risk bog checks as they flanked over the hedgerows, which sucked up most of their movement. The 75L later killed a Crocodile and made the surviving tankers wary of the north-south road, essentially taking them out of the game given the few opportunities for safe bypass in the village. The SS finally started to crack on the east side once a Crocodile with escorting infantry immolated a few squads. However, the small assault force ran up against a 10-2 (no doubt a Leibstandarte veteran transferred into 12 SS) and squad with mmg in a fortified building. The Scots melted away to their rally positions leaving the tankers exposed. Overall the Brits rolled high on IFT and MCs, with roughly half of the 1st liners failing ELR. This, combined with terrain, ensured a German win.

For the Germans, the main threat, surprise, surprise, came from the creeping barrage. It caused the most casualties, as broken squads routed only to get hit again the next turn. The barrage also killed the German armor reinforcement before it could get into the action. At game end only two 6-5-8s, one 8-3-8 squad of pionieren, the 10-2, a 8-1, and 8-0 (7-0 Heat of Battle promotion) , the AT gun and the mmg remained standing out of an original OB of ten 6-5-8s and three 8-3-8s. It's been awhile since I played a scenario with a 6-5-8 OB and I got that feeling I usually get playing the IJA (relative invincibility) as I sent a few lone squads on limited counterattacks to keep the enemy off balance. Their audacity hung things up in the center and siphoned off squads from the main Brit assault force. The potential for PFs also forced unsupported armor in the east to withdraw. Kurt Meyer would have been proud.

This one really had it all- a creeping barrage hammering the defenders, survivors emerging from the smoking ruins not to defend but to attack a much larger force, sexy armored toys constrained by terrain, and an infantry assault that devolved into grinding house to house fighting. I highly recommend it- against two players it seems like it would make for a really tense match that tests everyone's resolve. Great map too and there appears to be a lot of replayability here. A fantastic scenario that really epitomized the grinding, tense nature of the Normandy fighting.

MettIgel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Played scenario 126 Commando Schenke FtF with my friend and got crushed as the russians! We are still making the transition from starter kits to full ASL and this time we wanted to try concealment. I have to say, that the decision when to forfeit concealment for a shot really adds to the game.
I tried using some squads in the front as roadblocks for the approaching german force but all the FTs and 8-3-8s just rolled over them. As broken Squads failed to rally the germans didn't even bother to deal with them and pushed from the center at the fortified building. Following some unlucky rolls the last stack of squads was broken on turn 6, leaving no good order units in the fortified building. I had fun but am seriously wondering how the russians are supposed to win this scenario (also, ELR of 2 is just brutal).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played scenario 126 Commando Schenke FtF with my friend and got crushed as the russians! We are still making the transition from starter kits to full ASL and this time we wanted to try concealment. I have to say, that the decision when to forfeit concealment for a shot really adds to the game.
I tried using some squads in the front as roadblocks for the approaching german force but all the FTs and 8-3-8s just rolled over them. As broken Squads failed to rally the germans didn't even bother to deal with them and pushed from the center at the fortified building. Following some unlucky rolls the last stack of squads was broken on turn 6, leaving no good order units in the fortified building. I had fun but am seriously wondering how the russians are supposed to win this scenario (also, ELR of 2 is just brutal).
Nice scenario to pick but is sounds as if you either had too much of an up-front defense or lacked a defense in depth approach. With stone buildings, two story houses, skulking and possibilities for a few dummy positions it's usually a tough row to hoe for the Germans and normally a quite close struggle to the very end.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played DTF-4 which I somehow skipped playing at ASLOK. As noted under some of the Albany AAR's it seems to be good scenario and my weekly game with Dave Stephens was no exception. My Romanians set up pretty far back to avoid either the mortar or .50 cal MG but Dave went with four LMG's as the Russians. He attacked with all his infantry against the Russian right while the mounted INF on tanks went for the hill and the Russian left. My mortar and a squad delayed the Russians on my right which I needed to reinforce while the Russians quickly took the multi-hex building next to the center hill. It was nip and tuck for the until I brought my Stugs in to help the Russian right but these were outmaneuvered by the Russian T-34's. It look grim when a bounding fire eyes took out one Stug and only a motion attempt and smoke saved my other Stug. Had he got that Stug I would have surrendered as it was getting close to quitting time with issue much in doubt. My remaining Stug then charged the T-34 's roaring through both of them unscathed by four shots to set up a rear shot which destroyed one of them. As dinner was cooking chez lui and chez moi we called it a draw with about an hour left to play the last turn. Lots of fun playing this scenario!
Sounds great, happy you enjoyed it! Please ROAR.....

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Sounds great, happy you enjoyed it! Please ROAR.....
Ja meneer! My New Year's resolution was to be very pedantic about posting, though a draw as we decided does not show up in the won-loss statistics unfortunately, only in the personal statistics about opponents and games played.

MettIgel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Nice scenario to pick but is sounds as if you either had too much of an up-front defense or lacked a defense in depth approach. With stone buildings, two story houses, skulking and possibilities for a few dummy positions it's usually a tough row to hoe for the Germans and normally a quite close struggle to the very end.
Thanks for the tipps! I also made some major errors during movement, so the defeat of the russians was not entirely out of my hands :p