So what scenarios have you played Recently?

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Good Shepherd is a deluxe scenario from Operation Veritable. The Canadians need four of six multi-hex buildings with their opposition being almost a dozen 447s, several ? counters at start, minefields, a INF 75 gun and a late model StuG. The Canadians have their elite squads along with three Shermans and a pesky Wasp to crack the defensive puzzle. My opponent skillfully mopped up my forces and admittedly I didn't play so great in comparison. However I would definitely play again, as either side.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got to play DB036 First Crack At Hellzapoppin' Ridge this last Monday (MLK Day) against a good friend and good player Geoff. I've wanted to play this scenario for some time and ROAR has it as fairly balanced in both its original and reprint form (as MMP's OB 9). For those of you that have not seen the scenario or need a quick reminder, it's played on half boards of 34 & 39 though the majority of action centers on/around the board 39 hill. The Japanese are tasked with the defense of two 150mm arty pieces and defending a jungle debris (SSR has it somewhat equivalent to a modified inherent brush hex) ridden level 4 hilltop ridge with a small to moderate sized force including a couple of pillboxes. Uncle Sam's Misguided Children are a well led and well armed mixed force of Assault Engineers and regular devil dogs including a FT, DC's and a BAZ supported by a couple of MMGs & a HMG; enough to put a healthy scare in the sons of Nippon and accomplish their objective. I would have the IJA & Geoff the Marines.

The Guns have to set up non-HIP (though emplaced & concealed) with a restricted initial CA direction so I chose a rather up front defensive plan hoping to be able to utilize the open ground and height advantage of my force to an advantage before the Marine's FP and superior morale effectively came into play. My assessment was that once the Marines were on top of the ridge in the jungle debris, a close in fight would be to their advantage even though the Marine squads out-ranged my IJA boys if he choose to pummel them from afar prior to the assault on their objective. I choose to place one PB (HMG) on my far left flank in a level 4 hex protected by a cliffs and a stand of Bamboo (a no-brainer), its fire would control the open ground central approach to the ridge; the other PB (MMG) would be placed ina double crest hex covering my right center and right flank approaches; The guns would be rather exposed but had some decent FOF and to take them on he would have to face them down as both positions had interlocking FOF protected by MGs & my Lt Mtr.

Unfortunately for Geoff he misjudged the nature of the fight and thus mistimed his assault. Failing to adhere to the 4F principals (Find 'em; Fix 'em; Flank 'em; Finish 'em), he failed to effectively suppress my forces on the ediface prior to commencing his assault and paid the requisite price for his miscue. It certainly didn't help that for once my dice were exceptionally hot, especially in one turn where I would get 3 CHs with my 150s, decimating his assault formations. The MGs would do the rest as the still HIP HMG PB position came out hiding to smack his 9-2 & stack moving seemingly safely over open ground to their jump off assault positions to finish off some less enthused IJA defenders. This down two shot with the resultant decimation of the aforementioned units resulted in most of them being D(i)RT (Dead Right There). This would put a cap on the Marines failed attempt at Hellzapoppin' Ridge for that day with many of the devil dogs reeling backwards or effectively removed from their commander's OB. The Japanese would retain their hold on their battered ridge for another day.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We played the first 2.5 turns of Assault Period 1 of Sand&Blood, the Gavutu-Tanambogo campaign. Playing the American Attacker, I've lost 4 of my 12 landing crafts so far, but one at least has reached Tanambogo and unloaded. A few others have conquered Gaomi, and my NOBA and planes took out the Japanese INF gun. That's good, because the Japanese don't have any more guns for the coming assault periods when I'll have armored landing crafts, but for now, the Japanese are still hurting and sinking the unarmored ones I have for now.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got to play DB036 First Crack At Hellzapoppin' Ridge this last Monday (MLK Day)....

...Unfortunately for Geoff he misjudged the nature of the fight and thus mistimed his assault.....
That's the understatement of the day. In retrospect, I think the better plan is to push the main assault force up the left flank, with supporting fire from an MG kill stack over on the right. This would cut down on the crossfire, and force the heavy guns to choose between engaging the kill stack and the advancing assault troops. One problem this plan has though is that there aren't many good rally points on the left, leaving the Marines with some ugly choices when units start breaking. Still, couldn't be much worse than what actually happened....

Despite my poor planning and abominable luck, it's a great scenario-- really nails the feel of the fighting on Bougainville. I'd try it again in a heartbeat as either side.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In other recent news, I got to play HF2 Bertoldo the Brave yesterday, courtesy of @Matt Boehland.

This is another excellent Hatten fight by @Andrew Rogers, albeit one with a bit more meat to it than some of the quicker playing scenarios in Hatten in Flames.

I had the Germans. My plan was pretty simple-- push west between Rue Hohl and Rue Principale until I took the D16 objective buildings, then turn south to attack the J17 and J21 areas from the north and east. The Panthers were to stay near the north edge to keep them from getting flanked by the American TDs. American strong points were to be suppressed by the AA Halftracks. One platoon of infantry and all three SPW 251/1s would form a reserve to exploit any breakthrough, taking advantage of the "Enter on/after turn 1" entry condition.

It was a pretty good game from the German perspective. They say that no plan survives contact with the enemy, but this one held up pretty well. The initial attack overran the American outpost line (mostly made up of dummies) in short order, with some units making it almost to Rue de Wissembourg and the school by the end of Turn 1.

From there, things slowed down a bit, as American resistance stiffened. The northern elements were held up a bit by an MG nest in D17 reinforced by a Hellcat at the crossroads in D13. There was also fighting along Rue Principale, as German troops attempted to push towards “The Fort.” An American outpost in Temple Neuf was taken under heavy, well directed, machine gun fire and was abandoned to the advancing Germans.

The pace of the attack picked up again when the Hellcat at D13 was destroyed by a Panzerschreck, and the machine gun nest in D17 was overrun. The one remaining American HIP unit (the 57L AT gun) was forced to reveal its position near “The Fort,” enabling me to commit my reserve platoon in an end run down Rue Hohl and Rue de Reuisseau, supported by one of the Panthers. At this point, the Panthers were the majority of my fire support, as the AA halftracks had been reduced to burning wreckage by the Hellcats.

As things worked out, two of the three halftracks made it to their destination, the northwest corner of the G23 woods. One was burned by the Hellcat detailed to intercept, before the Hellcat in turn was driven off by the Panther. Meanwhile, a second Hellcat was destroyed, also by a panzerschreck-- this one fired from behind a wall in G17.

Thus began the final assault. German troops closed in on the remaining Americans from three sides. From the east, they attacked along Rue Principale towards “The Fort,” but were repulsed before demolition charges could be properly placed. From the north and northwest, they met with better success, seizing buildings along the north side of the road, including the last two buildings needed for victory.

This left the Americans with one last chance-- a desperate push north across the road and east out of “The Fort.” When this failed in a hail of German machine gun fire, the Americans conceded. It was the end of turn six.

Thanks to Matt for an excellent game! As with every Hatten scenario I've played so far, I would certainly try this one again from either perspective.

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played J171 Whom Gods Destroy a three-player scenario. I had the baddies, rushed to the village and bloodied the communist player as his leaders failed him. Despite their alliance, the nationalist did little to help his buddy and instead slowly infiltrated the VC area aiming for a vicious win. I released my armored reserve to meet the nationalist crawl but all vehicles were eventually destroyed. My forces into the village dwindled and i let the communist back into the VC area to dilute the nationalist super-majority and win on CVP (by 2 VP). I was initially a bit sceptical but it must be said that the SSRs work very well and despite the current ROAR, each side has a equitable chance to win with a bit of diplomacy and trash talking as the cherry on the cake. A very good choice although longer than the dogs of war.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
The Playing Field [RO6] Apparently not burned out by the recent W.O., Dave Stephens and I tried this new scenario from "Red Factories". Despite reading the new rules and having played RB in the past we blew a number of rules but in general my Russian assault was totally stillborn. I attacked on a broad front probing for a weakness but there was none and paid the price, giving up on turn four. My casualties were very heavy as Dave rolled very well assuring CR in many instances such as in mine fields. I think hitting one of the far flanks with all the Russians might be the way to go. My OBA was late in coming and although effective, was too late to turn the tide. I might add this to the Bitter Ender playlist along with some of the other recently published scenarios.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Around Xmas and New Year Time and finally today, I played three scenarios with an old friend.
HG-16 Blood Brothers : my British Indians steamrolled the INA guys.

FT-231 Cub Cub Hills : my defending Italians couldn't stem the French assault. Italian Guns and MGs break quite easily.

HF-1 Black day in Hatten : my Americans managed to destabilize the Germans and my friend conceded on US turn 4 CCPh, as I still had a Hellcat in good state and was holding 6 of the 7 objectives, while dominating the battlefield. I do think that this scenario favours the US: the LV and smoke allow them to easily reach the first buildings - afterwards, even with the low US morale, manoeuvering in stone buildings helps the attacker a lot...
I would recommend that the German organized a solid defense of the two last VC hexes, rather than try to save the others.
Endgame situation here:

HF1 endgame T4 US CCPh Ger concedes.jpg

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played FrF94 Death from above. It's an unusual situation where soviet cavalry is attacking by surprise a german airfield and only Romanian troops are in position to prevent the destruction of millions of reichmarks'worth of luftwaffe planes. During the scenario, on turns 1, 3 and 4, planes take off from the landing strip under fire (they are considered trucks while on the ground) and if not hit they provide valuable air support for defenders for the rest of the scenario. The turn 1 plane that takes off will probably be safe while the turn 4 plane will probably be destroyed as attackers are getting closer. The outcome of the turn 3 plane take-off may then have an impact on the eventual outcome of the scenario. Three planes will remain on the airfield and these will be sitting ducks. Due to plane attacks, the attacker should think hard about where he intends to unhook his Guns (towed by wagons). And reciprocally the planes should attack wisely as the Soviet player has AA assets at his disposal. It's very good, the dicyness of long range shots being balanced by the high fun factor.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played U30 Swatting at Tigers as the attacking Germans. Another scenario from my good 'ol SL days. The scenario was tense! Several ways to win or lose, but no matter what, if the Germans lose three of their five tanks, it's over. I decided to try for the instant victory condition. My friend surprised me by rushing several troops towards my set-up area hoping to get an early kill. I intentionally bailed out all my riders to prevent a double break kill. Most were successful with the exception of the 9-2 and 10-2 of all people. Luckily, no harm befell them afterwards. I moved two tanks down the road to engage the Americans while the rest began the slow ascent up the hill. I kept the front facing towards the Americans but there were so many that I decided to pull back the road bound tigers lest they get flanked or jumped in CC. The game played like chess with both of us vying for position. Casualties were light on both sides which helped me because I needed to double his CVP for the instant win. My infantry made a beeline towards the northern end of the board using the hill to screen their advance. The tigers were used to prevent the Americans from rushing towards the north. By turn 5 (of 10) the majority of my infantry was almost on board 2. No tigers had been lost at that point. With no bazookas close enough for a chance to take out a tank, my friend called it. Casualty points were unusually light: 1 to 9. Weird to have these brutish tanks yet playing so conservatively with them. My advice for the Americans would be to use the 2O5 group to shore up the defenses in the north. The road bound Americans can easily protect the middle and south. I liked it because it seemed like I had to scrutinize every move I made. My friend, not so much.

Last edited:

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played U30 Swatting at Tigers as the attacking Germans. Another scenario from my good 'ol SL days. The scenario was tense! Several ways to win or lose, but no matter what, if the Germans lose three of their five tanks, it's over. I decided to try for the instant victory condition. My friend surprised me by rushing several troops towards my set-up area hoping to get an early kill. I intentionally bailed out all my riders to prevent a double break kill. Most were successful with the exception of the 9-2 and 10-2 of all people. Luckily, no harm befell them afterwards. I moved two tanks down the road to engage the Americans while the rest began the slow ascent up the hill. I kept the front facing towards the Americans but there were so many that I decided to pull back the road bound tigers lest they get flanked or jumped in CC. The game played like chess with both of us vying for position. Casualties were light on both sides which helped me because I needed to double his CVP for the instant win. My infantry made a beeline towards the northern end of the board using the hill to screen their advance. The tigers were used to prevent the Americans from rushing towards the north. By turn 5 (of 10) the majority of my infantry was almost on board 2. No tigers had been lost at that point. With no bazookas close enough for a chance to take out a tank, my friend called it. Casualty points were unusually light: 1 to 9. Weird to have these brutish tanks yet playing so conservatively with them. My advice for the Americans would be to use the 2O5 group to shore up the defenses in the north. The road bound Americans can easily protect the middle and south. I liked it because it seemed like I had to scrutinize every move I made. My friend, not so much.
Played this one a few years back as the US. Tiger victory, not close. Wasn't sure what to think.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got the first ROAR record for the new ASL 34: A New Kind of Foe--a loss for me (the Germans), but a close game and we both agreed it was a lot of fun. My opponent had the slight edge going into the last turn, and managed to hang onto it, but the advantage had swung several times over the course of the game.

Not sure what the German is supposed to do with his Turn 4 AT guns--they helped me dig out some partisans, but represent an extraordinary amount of fragile CVP and even if safely brought to the front lines, they will trigger what feels like 40 sniper attacks.

Reactions: Roy

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
As Luck Would Have It [WO30] I played this third of the Winter Offensive scenarios and continued my losing streak with this new pack (0-3) which includes two losses up in Bowie. The title sort of speaks to my fine opponents! I had the British which on ROAR were 5-1 before starting this game but my eight morale men never passed a MC the whole game. The only time I rolled eyes were on pin checks which resulted in two German sniper "ones" which promptly broke two more squads. The Germans commanded by Dave Stephens walked off the board on the last turn with most of the Brits as prisoners. Fortunately the war would be over in less than a year and their captivity would be short. I heavily defended the British left flank knowing it gives the Germans the safest way to the board edge but it did not matter. I killed one tank and a half squad in five turns.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
REPLAYED of FISH TO FRY from the Schwerpunkt people

LOTS of Marine firepower led to LOTS of whining by Larry Zoet. HOWEVER, he got both Sherman tanks with side shots from the 45LL atgs, and he got a IMMOB shot against a Pershing.

Korean mindset is take LOTS of losses but delay and kill just a few Americans for the win.

Good scenario, I've played it 3 times in the last month. HOWEVER not once did I get the satisfaction of rolling a HOB result with the Marines, as my standing orders are to sing the first stanza of the Marine Corps hymn every time I create a hero/battle harden a USMC MMC or SMC

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last Sunday, Lindsey Murillo and I played LFT184 Chapel Hill in our ongoing exploration of the Crimea offerings from LFT. It was a good battle with the Axis pulling it out in the end. I will post an AAR

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got in a game of CtR3 With Profound Regret, which was awesome, went down to almost the last turn. My opponent Rich had a HS/DC, Squad and crew/MMG vs. my two tanks and about 13 VP of units ready to run off the board, only problem was I intensive fired my MA and shredded my gun for a recall not having the necessary VP anymore (DOH!!!!)

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WO25 The Replacements
My opponent said he'd been waiting a year to play this scenario with elite Italian 4-4-7s (x16) are attacking west to east with six L6/40 tanks across three widths of deluxe boards from last year's Winter Offensive pack. They also get a platoon reinforcing from the north. Their goal: two single buildings at the middle east edge, one two-story stone and the other one-story wooden. Ironically we both felt we were winning the game until the last turn, and perhaps I was under more illusions of grandeur than my opponent.

With my Russian 4-4-7s (x12) I thought I was doing well slowing the advance, especially when my mortar got on a ROF tear and immobilized an L6/40 on its 7th shot. However my 45L required three turns to destroy one L6/40 advancing down the center. I was able to get some key rallies at the end but the Italian flamethrower was grinding its way through the north flank. By the last turn I suddenly felt I had run out of enough defenders, collapsing under the onslaught of tank-freezes and a well-timed overrun. The wooden victory building had three squads supported by a 2-2-8, but that building fell after two squads broke, one pinned before an overwhelming CC attack. I lucked out though (after reviewing the building control rules) when a broken squad in the stone building survived some good shots and routed upstairs to maintain control. Would play again but probably give the Russians the balance.

Last edited:

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was able to sneak in a scenario before the big game, ASL 55 Retribution. I had the defending Italians. Tough scenario for them as they are outgunned, out ranged, out leadered, and out ELRed for half their troops (yeah, I know some of those aren't real words or terms, but you get the idea). I figured the only way to pull this off was to skulk, keep concealment, and take good odds shots when the opportunity presented itself. I held the Americans back as long as I could, but by turn 7 (of 8.5), my guys were on the ropes. Holding three VP buildings and behind in CVPs, I had to make a final stand. It didn't go horribly, but it did little to stop the US advance. The American return fire pretty much broke the last bit of resistance and I called it a game. I didn't enjoy this scenario at all. I felt there really wasn't anything for the Italians to do but fall back and hope to delay the Americans until the turn limit expired. Usually with delaying actions, the defender can put up some decent pockets of resistance and maybe even make a counterattack here and there. That didn't happen in this scenario. Once the Americans are in the buildings, 3FP shots vs 6FP shots are a serious disadvantage. ROAR has it pretty even, but from a fun factor experience, I didn't feel the love. My friend liked it, though.

Last edited:

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That's the understatement of the day. In retrospect, I think the better plan is to push the main assault force up the left flank, with supporting fire from an MG kill stack over on the right. This would cut down on the crossfire, and force the heavy guns to choose between engaging the kill stack and the advancing assault troops. One problem this plan has though is that there aren't many good rally points on the left, leaving the Marines with some ugly choices when units start breaking. Still, couldn't be much worse than what actually happened....

Despite my poor planning and abominable luck, it's a great scenario-- really nails the feel of the fighting on Bougainville. I'd try it again in a heartbeat as either side.
this is a great scenario. USMC has to suppress those guns with their MMG's and pick their way forward. timing of the final assault key. super fun