So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently playing ASL-128 "The Defense Of Luga".

View attachment 6819

All but 3 of the Russian tanks are destroyed. No HIP units remain. The Russians need 8 more stone buildings. With 5 turns to go, its a tight game.....

John.
Yikes! Look at that forest fire. Must keep you rolling dice for quite a few minutes just to resolve that aspect alone!:eek::whistle:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Another bitter fight through the Bocage!! BFP16 Snake Charmed.

I have to say though, I find the Bocage rules to be very elegant. The effect of which makes "hedges" come alive. Units were in a constant flux between being seen and disappearing behind earthen
walls.

Next one up BFP17 Seize that Crossroad!!

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I opened my ASL season of 2019 with a game of ASL195 Rocket's Red Glare vs. Michael Koch FtF.

Somehow, I have never played this classic previously published as G6 in an ancient General Magazine before.

One notable tidbit is that one of the entry hexes (3I1) looked remarkably different on the old mounted mapboards compared to the new SK-style boards and VASL boards. This does have an impact with regard to Bypass in that hex, especially for the only American AFV. And there are only two entry hexes overall. So I think one is well advised to convene with the opponent on how to handle the 3I1 hex.

That said, the scenario features an elite SS defending force reinforced with a vicious FlaK-Pz IV, an 105 ART piece and a StuG IIIG L. The US enjoy excellent leadership, high firepower and an abundancy of LATW in the form of BAZ44 and 45 plus some SSR'ed German PF without availability dr or Captured Use penalties.

The game started off with the US rolling snakes to KIA a 658+MMG, the latter being destroyed by Random SW destruction. In the MPh, the US placed WP smoke via a BAZ, which is a nice idea. Catastrophically, in the first MPh the US sniper was triggerd and promptly struck to recall the FlaK-Pz IV, one of the key-units in the game. Meh! If this weren't enough, the German HMG rolled boxcars on its first shot and did not repair until the end of the game.

On the bright side, I managed to break 2 squads + a 8-0 leader upon entry and contrieved to eliminate the 10-2 for FtR.

However, when the Sniper struck again to kill one of the German 8-0 leaders, re-DMing a broken 658 in the process, no one left to rally the two German broken squads and the FlaK-Pz recalled on the flank of the US Schwerpunkt, it became clear that the Germans would not stand any chance. Thus we called it a day in Turn 3.

Losing the Flak-Pz IV, the MMG, the HMG, a 658 and the only 8-0 available on one flank with only two broken squads there so early in the game was too much. I guess, I have to play this one again under more normal circumstances.

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Vietnam! DBP16 Under Old Baldy, Vietmin regulars & co are pitted against French paras and regulars. The VC is a bit tricky: CVP counts, each trench hex is 2 VPs and the PAVN can exit units off the board after Turn 5 for points as well.

Exit too many and you give up trenches!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Art of War DTF-8 Nationalist Chinese trying to retake a village from the Communist Chinese, Kinmen I October '49. After looking over my opponent's set up, my Nationalists attacked from the southwest, which looked slightly better than the best route, the south east. This was good, because that's where the 75mm RCL was hiding. Bitter fight. Nothing fancy, I just concentrated and pushed away. The canister 9 for the Stuarts helped too. ChiCom counterattacks hit my right flank. But, I was able to take the last 2 needed buildings on the last turn. Good scenario.

I hope for more Chinese Civil War scenarios, now that we have a full ChiCom OB. Though I think traditional 3-3-7 Partisan squads are still needed, especially at the beginning of the conflict.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Art of War DTF-8 Nationalist Chinese trying to retake a village from the Communist Chinese, Kinmen I October '49. After looking over my opponent's set up, my Nationalists attacked from the southwest, which looked slightly better than the best route, the south east. This was good, because that's where the 75mm RCL was hiding. Bitter fight. Nothing fancy, I just concentrated and pushed away. The canister 9 for the Stuarts helped too. ChiCom counterattacks hit my right flank. But, I was able to take the last 2 needed buildings on the last turn. Good scenario.

I hope for more Chinese Civil War scenarios, now that we have a full ChiCom OB. Though I think traditional 3-3-7 Partisan squads are still needed, especially at the beginning of the conflict.

This is interesting ‘cause I think there are only 3 Stuart’s on that island and 1 of them was stuck on the beach. @witchbottles

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played T9 The Niscemi-Biscari Highway as the attacking Germans. I know my friend and I played this scenario long ago, but since it was next up in the queue, we had to play it. We didn't add the new change with the HIP squad as ROAR has it at only 55% pro German in well over a 100 playings (of course some of those could be reflected with the change in place). My initial plan was to hit the north side with everything, take building 4X1, and then use the large wheatfield mass to screen an end-around to building 4Y9. However, the Americans set up very heavy on that side leaving a skeletal force on the south. That made me decide to enter on the south despite all that open ground. Spreading out my guys out like an amoeba, I made steady progress towards 4CC6 and a portion of my men swung over towards 4X1. The AC helped freeze up a couple of pockets of resistance seriously helping my cause. Only one bazooka fired, missed, then ran out of ammo. The AT guns, predictably, did nothing due to the captured use penalties. In fact, both ended up malfunctioning. 4X1 was mined so once I found that out, I let it go. My 9-2 kill stack took out any outliers from reinforcing or retreating. Eventually my men, with overwhelming superiority in my area of concentration, wore down the Americans and took buildings 4CC6 and 4Y9 by the end of turn 5 (of 8). The Americans had two 1/2 squads and two crews left. The rest were dead, prisoners, or broken. Sorta fun. If the Germans can use their range advantage I think they have the upper hand.

Last edited:

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
My first game for 2019 was SV 4 Frivilligkompani Benckert as Germans. As real life has been extremely hectic in first weeks of 2019 this was played in two quick live VASL sessions against Rami Saarinen. Not a big one but not bad scenario for its size and certainly way better than playing no ASL at all.

I faced significant headwinds early on as my gun and mortar did not hit anything and made some mistakes which the worst was by far stacking too much which facilitated a couple of 84 mm hits which broke 4 squads in total with couple of double breaks. By turn 4 I almost gave in but decided to make a try of it and then suddenly everything went my way for while - won two melees, one at 1-2 odds against me (involving a 81 mortar crew) and one at 1-1. The mortar proceeded to break Swedish 9-2 led MMG nest as soon as it killed the infiltrating Norwegian squad in the aforementioned CC! A the same turn I broke Norwegian MMG nest as well and Rami malfunctioned his 84 mm gun. Suddenly I was in the game again and although my flanking force did not manage the exit VC I still made a mad charge against the trenches. I managed to get three CC attempts for trench locations and while Rami survived first two I managed to kill the 228 crew in the last one and his counter strike was not successful- I won in the last possible CC roll!

I for sure did not play a great game at all during the early turns and had some stunning luck during game turns 4 and 5. Rami should have won this one...

I ave recently played 3 scenarios out of the Swedish volunteers pack, I also played 3 when it came out 10 years ago. I'd say this is one of the better scenario packs. Hopefully this sees a wider release in the future, this material deserves it!

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Thanks for playing this, happy you liked it. If you could ROAR the result I would really appreciate- few results show only PLA wins so far....

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played 5 scenarios from Rally Point volume 15 in the past six weeks or so. I didn't make detailed enough notes to do AARs so I'll just add my thoughts and impression of them here. All of these but RPT142 were played FTF against Mark Devries.

RPT142 Commander for a Day. Won as the North Korean. Went down to CC in the last turn. This was a fun little scenario both myself and my opponent enjoyed it and would play it again. As with any small scenario the dice could swing it out of balance pretty easy but there was plenty of action for both players.

RPT144 Got me a Tank. Won as the North Korean. Similar to Commander for a Day except the Americans have BAZ 50. and both sides get to attack and defend. I got way too aggressive with my tanks that entered on turn 1. The BAZ 50 is not a PSK; it is much more accurate, longer ranged and deadly. Spent the last couple turns keeping my two surviving T-34 alive against AT teams. Managed to pin the US 10-2 and accompanying squad in a road to secure a win.

RPT146 Plum Pudding Hill. Won as North Korean. It was our first playing on the Korea Hill Maps. I would recommend having another copy of the map on hand as it got pretty crowded with counters that caused both myself and Mark to miss LOS and confuse elevation levels. The M45 was knocked out by a 1 factor AT mine when it moved to bring fire on my Alamo trench position late in the game. The UN infantry was tied up fighting my HMG and supporting 2 squads. Time ran out for UN player-I doubt I could have held him off for another turn. Knocking out the tank as huge. Would play again.

RPT147. Fish to Fry. Lost as North Korean-I really did not enjoy this scenario. The North Korean is basically an immobile punching bag for a horde of tanks backed by the most powerful infantry squads in the game. I couldn't get my squads to pass a morale check (even with 8 morale squads). My fire wasn't much better-couldn't get more than a pin result against his CE tanks-that includes shots from the MTR and HMG. I did manage to Battle Harden the 9-0 commissar who also went heroic but there wasn't much else to do. I packed it in at the start of Marine turn 3. This was before the tanks even found the two roadblocks and covering ATG. I doubt I would play this one again. There is just nothing for the defender to do but take it. It reminded me of just a Korean War version of the old 1945 swam of Tigers and SS smashing their way though Soviet defenders. I may have misplayed it as I used the trenches to form a line of resistance on the hill, Mark said would have used the trenches in the road to force bog checks on the tanks. I just don't know how to play this one. I set up a pretty wicked ambush with a ATG that would have gotten rear shots on 3 tanks (2 M26, FT Sherman) but Mark argued the ATG was illegally placed as it was in a gully hex in Crest status. We couldn't find a rule for this situation. I used the Wadi rules but after further discussion decided they didn't apply.

RPT149 Rakkasan Rukus. Won as USA. I don't know what to think of this scenario as Mark had some of worst luck I've ever seen. We called it on the 3rd turn. I think Mark had 1 leader left and maybe 3 good order squads on the board-I suffered a grand total of 1 casualty MC on the first MC of the game and 1 other broken squad. I'd like to give this one another try as either side.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I liked FISH TO FRY. I think the North Korean thinks BURN THE CLOCK and everything that they do is oriented towards that goal. Yes the Marines
have LOTS of firepower and virtually unstoppable tanks from the North Koreans perspective. But they don't have time. Yes there is the punching bag thing
but you have to redefine victory as in DELAY the Marines and burn the clock.

Out of respect to my past, I can't take anything against the USMC. I'm liking the Korean module more and more....

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
179 Ranger Stronghold. Me, defending Americans. Came down to the last turn. I had two half squads (not in same hex), one MMG and 10-3 leader against 7 German squads, 4 LMG and one MMG. If my squads break I lose.

Half squad with MMG and 10-3 are in a woods and nowhere to skulk to. MMG goes on a 5 roll ROF tear. Dice rolls of 2, 2x3, 4, 5. Results. 3 KIA, 2 breaks. The other half squad can now move out of LOS for the win.

I've been playing full ASL for a year now. Record is 7-3. Must be doing something right.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the following at WO:
WO31 Ma Duece Delivers vs David Ford: I had the Germans with their 3 King Tigers and pedestrian infantry vs the Americans and their two Meat Choppers, 4 turn 3 arriving TD's and their pedestrian infantry, bucked up by a 9-2. The VC revolve around either clearing G/O Americans from adjacent to a road that stretched the width of a Fort board OR grabbing buildings, the exact number of which can be reduced by the positive difference between German armor lost and American armor lost. This last part proved decisive, as my opponent didn't realize the OR condition (as opposed to AND) until later in the game.

To compensate for this, my armor leader KT and another KT both boxed their MA and proceeded to recall themselves. I at least had the satisfaction of watching the armor leaders KT roast for his incompetence. This not withstanding, I was able to overwhelm one Chopper (Insert Arnold accent here) and made good headway towards the buildings. My opponent, by now realizing that it was either/or for the VC and I was not in the least bit worried about the road VC, began to concentrate on the buildings. The personal highlight for me was my 6+1 leader, an elred 7-0, taking out an American TD, with an ATMM. Burning it in fact, and the other infantry managing to make up for the KT's lack of enthusiasm by getting two more. One of my recalled KT's made it off board, and the other survived the battle, giving me all the buildings I needed to win at the end. Dave would have had to counterattack to take a building back and no longer had the manpower. So despite a 7 cars to 1 snakes game, I was able to pull it out. Interesting scenario. I suspect there will be a lot of discussion about this one.

RO2 Second Step vs Brian Wiersma: I played Brian as the Germans in this one. Brian is an elite player who went on to win the tournament and he doped the defense out for this one perfectly. The Germans need to clear out 3 factories in 7 turns. They are supported by pre-registered 200mm Rocket OBA, a couple of 81 mm mortars and a Stug B for smoke and some variable arriving Stukas that attack into a mixed conscript/1st line/elite Russian force, holding 6 factories in front of them.

There is a forward factory that is somewhat of a speed bump. Brian put the conscripts in there. There is a small gutted/roofless factory to the right rear of it. Brian used this as speed bump number two. To the left front of the German attack is a large factory where Brian used some of his fortified buildings, his three wire and two minefields to shut down. It was manned by 6-2-8 guards and was easily re-enforced from the rear factories before the Stuka's would have a chance to arrive. As we did a post-mortem, despite having to draw two cards, this is where the OBA should have gone. The 200's could have blown a hole through the wire and mines in addition to potentially causing some loss to the defenders within, all provided the never accurate rockets drifted the right way. In the event, I went for the rear of the gimme house as there seemed to be a concentration of force there. However the first turn led me to reconsider my rockets and they came down on the rear portion of the second speed bump factory, causing casualties and other assorted mayhem.

Factory one took two turns, factory two another two, although counterattacks there forced me to keep forces guarding it in excess of what I would have preferred. As the rockets didn't hit the big building, I likely tied up more squads trying to give a show of force there, then I should have. About 5-6 in all, that dwindled as needs piled up elsewhere. This left three turns to try to shoot through a funnel into the third factory and it just was not going to happen. Fire from both sides frequently encircled my guys and I was only able to get one hex in the last factory and was clearly going to be repulsed in the effort to take it. There just was not enough time and Germans to clear it. I would have had to clear either to the left or right of the funnel and that would have taken the remaining time.

Good win for Brian and a brilliant defense. He correctly groked the defense the first time seeing the scenario and I think his defense, properly executed, will result in Russian wins, likely, 70% of the time. The other 30% the rockets might find enough of their mark on the left hand building to make a difference and undermine the defense there. Good game.

WO30 As Luck Would Have It Game three was against Lindsey Murillo. I again had attacking Germans against his defending Brit Para-troopers in Normandy. My Germans had to gain 8 more VP and did so by capturing building and exiting personnel off the opposite side of the board. 11 German squads backed by a MKIV and three OT SPG's against 8 Birt paras and a 57L ATG and a 9-2 ldr. Bocage is in effect and all hedges are Bocage.

I went after the extreme right of Lindsey's defense and muscled his one top of the board squad out of the way. During his turn one, Lindsey missed a LOS and it cost him the 9-2 and a squad, so his infantry was 75% mission killed after turn one. I was hoping that Lindsey would have the ATG down towards the middle of the board looking to block the exit vc part of the condition and he did.

I was able to turn his flank and get into the stone buildings on the map before the Brits were. This meant Lindsey had to counter attack the main German position. Lindsey got one tank to knock a point off my total when I tried to overrun a vulnerable British squad and got my teeth kicked in for my troubles as the tank failed miserably. Still, I had an 8-0 who was running for the board edge with the captured squad that used to guard the north and things looked good as I was still 5 to the good early in the game. The ATG had to be manhandled across the middle of the board and never fired a shot in anger.

Lindsey did break the 8-0 and reduce the prisoners to a HS as they tried to sneak off the board, but the 8-0 rallied and with another HS sneaked off the board for another 4 points and further -1 leader and squad got off by game end, giving me 14 points -1 for the tank = 13. More than the 8 needed. In retrospect, probably best to put the ATG in the rear/middle where he will have the best chance of being engaged somehow and the bulk of the British infantry smack center with delaying troops on either flank. If the Germans go board edge, you have time to react and pin them to the top or bottom of the board and you can beat them into the VC buildings. An interesting scenario. I think Pete has a good one here.

WO29 Pynda Avenged: This one sees a Greek force trying to capture more buildings in a town than the Italians hold at game end. The specific condition is within 4 of Z13 on a Fort board. My opponent was Kevin Killeen. Kevin had the Italians and I the attacking Greeks. The Italians are your father's Italians with 3-4-6's and 2 ELR. The game pretty much was a slow grind as Kevin put up a good defense and slowed my attack, particularly with a 45 SW mtr from hell. The Greeks benefited greatly from the extra +1 to their broken side morale as it made the difference in several rally tries. On the last turn, the Greeks were poised to break through into the middle of the VC area and Kevin's defenders could not hold them out. I was also able to take the church, which was a 4 point swing. Another interesting scenario. Kevin thinks the Italians are too weak to pull it off and too spread out. I think the Italians might be able to pull it off with more of a point defense in the +3 buildings closer to the objective. Either way, I wouldn't mind trying it again with either side.

Good time had by all. Ended 3-1 and one of my ride down buds, Brian Wiersma took home the gold. I also got a chance to sit with Perry for a bit and catch up on some business talk about coming projects. All in all, a good time. Too bad WO is always in the winter.....................go figure.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Liehr Launches First ASL HF 4 More Hatten mayhem. The Panzermen came down the main road, and flanked to the north. They made some progress, but effective fire from both sides of the road caused heavy losses among the Panzergrenadiers. One Panther was killed by a lucky APCR hit to the turret, another was swarmed and bazooked in the side. Two Ami TDs were destroyed. But, without infantry, you can't occupy too many buildings. US victory.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Na .. there are 2 Stuarts in the DTF scenario. If memory serves - the story is that the 2 were on the beach trying to unbog the 3rd tank that got stuck the night before .. and hence were close to the action.
ah I should have checked the card I had mis-remembered that there were 3. Peter & Chris as always are on the job :)