So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pierce Mason got the better of me again. This time in TAC6 Counterattack at Villers-Bocage.
AAR is available at my blog, along with a look forward to my 2019.

Carboard Warrior

Thanks for reading!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Audacity on Omaha LC WaR 7 Bulge '44, a force of Volkgrenadiers, (complete with a few of the 5-4-7s!) attack a chewed up US force, having to exit 10 VP. The Americans are reinforced by three Shermans with low ammo and that are about to run out of gas. My attack went well at first. SMOKE shrouded position after position. But, the OBA god gives, then he takes away. Red chit after red chit... (The module is not permanently removed after two red chits- you just add another red in to the deck and keep at it.) The Volksgrenadiers were stranded at the river side of the village, and then the Shermans arrived to finish them off. US Victory. Interesting.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Two LFT14 scenarios!

FT230 Italian Behemoth vs Scott Holst
I had the Italians and the behemoth rolled with little bother The game was essentially over
in turn 3 when the Italians sleaze froze the last main line of resistance at level 1 of the hill.
Scott only got 3 hits on the L3's (from 7-8 shots) and all bounced. Likely the British balance
is indicated, and may-hap the Armored car a turn earlier.

FT225 Blue Hell at P.A. Gates vs David Wallace
My Glorious Italian crushed the French on both flanks leading a rapid walkover. David dice were
execrable, and my Italian had an average of 5.33 on my MC's. One 2-1 killing a squad in woods in
first player turn and another Mortar CH at end to break last line of defense did not hurt at all.

Suggestion are
1. There really should be instructions for how to handles when units are setup in same hex, especially as there are 2 french HIPs. First scenario I have seen with overlapping setup areas where this was not handled by SSR.
2. Be very careful on setup (Both Sides)
3. Pleva OBA should certainly be used
4. French Balance should be used

A really fun design though

Reactions: Roy

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Delay to the Agno DftB DB119 Philippines, '41. Philippine Scouts trying to slow down elite IJA. I think I have finally learned how to be the defender in, "fight and fall back/ withdrawal" scenarios. And I was very lucky in HtH CC.... Both of us elected to go heavily for the big long woods-jungle on 62. I was able to move the Scouts back in good order, and un-conceal the IJA when they got close.
Got flanked at one point, but was able to fight it out. Filipino victory. Nice infantry scenario.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Heart of Darkness FT232 Both ways vs Neil McPherson

It was dark and stormy night (or at least late afternoon as I write this), with lightning within 500m.

Fantastic little scenario won in the last fire phase as British then won a little more easily as Italian.

In the first game Neil killed 2 AC's with MGs and Exited 2 Squads and two leaders for 28 CVP (Exiting is doubled) and need to get 4 more CVP

I had 3 CVP going into the last defensive fire phase with 6 Squads and 2HS of prisoners (Meaning if I Massacred everyone. I would be on 31 CVP and 1 short of the win)

I had an AC in melee in the last Italian squads hex though (with a +1 from previous stun ) and it was also encircled, the 12+2 in prep failed though.
On one side was a squad with 1 squad prisoner and on the other a squad with one squad prisoner and an LMG. I needed the break but any cower would doom me as I would be unable to massacre.
First a MASSACRE of 6 Squads and 2 HS ensued, then the squad was broken then CR'd from opposite sides finally being eliminated for at 1-1 -3 when trying to withdraw from CC

Oh the humanity.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you saying you had British troops doing a massacre of Italians? I thought only certain nationalities could massacre.
A20.4, not allowed, unless Aaron means they were easily defeated and thus massacred.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Are you saying you had British troops doing a massacre of Italians? I thought only certain nationalities could massacre.
Scenario SSR: Massacre allowed and doubled owing to the Italians having earlier shown a false white flag ("They may Massacre" "South Africans earn double CVP for units Massacred")

The VP structure of the scenario is such that it would be hard to win without massacring!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scenario SSR: Massacre allowed and doubled owing to the Italians having earlier shown a false white flag ("They may Massacre" "South Africans earn double CVP for units Massacred")

The VP structure of the scenario is such that it would be hard to win without massacring!
Interesting. Well, that would put people "in the mood".

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Deluxe A7 Lehr Sanction

It was pretty intense, the German 4-6-8s clawing their way through bocage to the British positions. The Panthers had wiped out the Firefly tank support but an 80mm OBA landed right on top of the German platoons at their jumping off points and turned the game back to the British. We both would play again, fun scenario to start the year.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Deluxe A7 Lehr Sanction

It was pretty intense, the German 4-6-8s clawing their way through bocage to the British positions. The Panthers had wiped out the Firefly tank support but an 80mm OBA landed right on top of the German platoons at their jumping off points and turned the game back to the British. We both would play again, fun scenario to start the year.
A very fun scenario that favors the Germans.

I look forward to printing the rebalanced version in Deluxe Redux.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yesterday I played J178 Old Friends versus Ross Zarzecki at the Austin game day. He chose the Germans and set up a pretty good defense. In this scenario, the Americans must gain control of 7 out of 12 (?) multi-hex stone buildings, without losing 37 CVP. They can also win by gaining 38 CVP if they can't get the buildings. The nature of the terrain really cramps the Americans in. They start out in a corner, with some of the buildings (3 of the VC buildings) right in front of them, but the rest are behind a stream with only 1 bridge across it for most of the board. The other part of the board has a lot of woods and one obvious chokepoint. The Germans have 2 Panthers, one Mk IV, a StuG, and a halftrack with a 20L (12), plus an assortment of infantry. The Americans get 3 Chaffees, 2 M4A3 76(W)s, a couple Wolverines, and an M4 105, plus some elite and first-line squads. They get to put gyros in 2 tanks. Each side gets a 9-1 armor leader. With constricted terrain, and facing an immediate loss via the 37 CVP, I had to attack very cautiously as the Americans. I can easily imagine careless American armor use putting them in a CVP hole early that would be hard to climb out of. The idea was to try never to give the Germans first shot at a tank, and let the infantry leverage their way forward, and in general to use lots of smoke. This plan worked reasonably well, but what worked much better was that Ross' dice rolling was terrible all game. At one point, one of his Panthers was under a +1 stun, and its gun, BMG, and CMG were all disabled. His troops failed most morale checks. Meanwhile, the American 9-2-led stack of 3 squads with MMGs rolled pretty well on the few occasions that they got a shot, scoring outright KIAs a couple of times on squads. His tankers couldn't hit anything all game, while one Chaffee knocked out a Panther and a StuG with bounding fire. The Mark IV was a victim of the armor leader's M4A3 76(W) with gyro, also in bounding fire. It was just that kind of game. Had the dice been even, this would probably have been a tough slog for the Americans. It's very even on ROAR, but I think the American players had best be prepared to use all the tricks of the trade.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

It's not often you see a scenario that encourages committing a cardboard war crime!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

I would never design a scenario with such VC.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played 205 Super Bazooka. Very similar to a scenario I just played OAF King's Pawn to... Also same result. To summarize: one baz hit for a kill, hidden 1/2 squad dies in following phase, next two baz shots, 12 and 10. Game over. Very dicey as expected. Hit, you win, miss, you lose. One of those "Let's play it to say we played it" scenarios. Can't recommend one way or the other. Just a throw in scenario before or after the weekend's main event due to how fast it plays. Maybe took us a half hour to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the main event - and our last FW scenario for the foreseeable future - my friend and I played 207 Bullets for Breakfast. As the Americans, I thought I was going to get steamrolled from the get go. The KPA board 9 group moved right into the teeth of Headquarters Company and took little damage. Luckily, pins prevented the KPA from engaging in CC. My friend used the board 44 group as more of a diversionary force and put the bulk of them near the southern edge. Maybe a good idea, maybe not. Short range, open ground, and woods it turns out, makes setting up there challenging, but on the other hand, it also forces the US reserves to deal with them rather than reinforcing the victory building. With the board 9 units in my face by the middle of turn two, I had what was perhaps my personal luckiest rate tear ever. The 60mm MTR must have rattled off at least 10 shots at the KPA SMG group and proceeded to break every one of them in the southern area except one squad. A MG shot from another squad broke the last one and just like that, the entire west side was crushed. Tanks and 1/2 squads soon caused all of them to become prisoners or die due to FTR. On that same turn, I raked the units that were just about to enter the HQ building and the entire attack fizzled. By turn three, I took out both 82mm MTRs and the MGs manning the hills. By the time the turn 3 KPA reinforcements came in, the entire North Korean attack was in disarray. They were able to recover the abandoned weapons, but my return fire broke all of them once more. With little left for a meaningful push for the building, my friend called it after turn 5 (of 8). Though I pulled this one off, I really think the North Koreans should be favored. A few lucky rate tears and poor MC rolls doomed the KPA, but I think with average dice, the KPA force would be hard to hold off. The KPA weren't diced - I mean I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn the first turn and a half - but things went extremely well for me and average for my buddy after that.

My friend and I ended up playing seven official FW scenarios (with a few others thrown in due to our obsession with chronology). We stopped right before trying the Chinese because six of the remaining 11 are night scenarios. While we don't have an issue with night, that's just too many to digest in a row. What I'd like to see in the future is the US or South Koreans on the attack. Every scenario we played was basically the UN forces holding off a horde of North Koreans. Hopefully, the upcoming Journal will add a bit of variety in this area. Anyway, now that this diversion is over, on to Sicily!

Last edited: