So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Is there any difference between the two versions of this scenario (G6 and 195)?
I actually did not check the ROAR before playing and it could have been the G6 version. I will need to compare the two scenarios but have not done so. It was our usual weekly, friendly game and we alternate choosing scenarios with the host always choosing the scenario and taking defense (normally the side setting up first). It was unusual that David chose an oldie given all the newer stuff we have not yet played.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Erik Lindblad and I played a brutal game of HS25 LAMBS LED TO SLAUGHTER. This scenario is on the Riley's Road HASL map; it was my first experience playing on it. Six elite German squads defend a cross roads against 12 mixed quality Canadian squads. The key German assets are a 9-2, a HMG an 88 and OBA of 80mm. The Canadian has three Sherman tanks at start and two reinforcing Wasps on turn two. We gave the Canadians (my side) the balance, a third Wasp. Erik set up a reverse crest defence. Only two half squads in stone buildings were visible to my setup area. I set up to smoke those two half squads and launch from their buildings. Erik had a surprise for me, however; his HIP OBA observer was in an orchard crest hex, so he could see all my units. In the first half of the game, I lost a lot of infantry and one Sherman to the OBA. Once the Wasps were in play, however, the Germans started losing infantry. The darn 88 claimed some infantry as well with copious amounts of rate. Rain came down on turn two, but at least on turn three it became heavy rain, to make the open ground a bit less deadly for the Canadians. The Canadians took the cross roads, but the Germans were able to counter-attack and retake them on the last German turn. On the last Canadian turn, I could not rally enough troops to take the cross roads back.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Festung Blerick Vftt V21 Holland, December '44, British attack on fortified village, with funnies and mud. You would think the Brits have the advantage in this from looking at all the thickly armored toys. But, the le IG 18 and ever deadly 81mm MTR killed or Immo'ed vehicle after vehicle, firing HE on the area target type. With the AVRE gone, the Churchill Bridge layer was the only hope. Shrouded in smoke, it laid it's egg, and the slow motion assault was on. With the surviving Crabs and Churchill blasting away at the German artillery, the MGs were very un-suppressed. Plenty more British losses when they got out of the Kangaroos. But, the Crocodile then got busy and very dominant, burning position after position. British numbers helped in CC too. British victory on the last turn. Fun if you like fortifications and obscure toys from the British OB!

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Transvanlyia Imbroglio from the KE boys, dated 1998

I was the Rumanians and had Jeff DY hand me my hat. SAN 2 for Jeff. 4 shots, 2 kills, recalling a HT and a PSW 222.

And it only got worst from there. The evil 8-1 SMC with the HMG? ROF tear to include a snakes and two 3s......
Good scenario I'd play it again as either side.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I locked horns with triple-threat Sam Tyson today in Mormal Forest. We diced for sides and I got the attacking Germans. I decided to use the guns on the level-2 locations along with a 37L halftrack, and a half-squad with small mortar, plus a half-squad with the ATR from that aforementioned vehicle, to inhibit movement from the stone buildings on the right back to the forest, while my main assault would try to push through the woods and beat up the French there, eventually getting to those two buildings. By mid-game I thought there was no realistic way to win. The Stuka failed its only sighting roll, so his reinforcing pair of tanks got to the defense unmolested. A last-turn surge toward the final victory building gave me a chance, but Sam's dice had to go pretty cold for my troops to have a good chance. They managed to get a 6+3 and 8+4 against the final squad to encircle it, but couldn't break it or pin it. The final CC was a 2:1 plus 1, so I needed a 5 or less for the win (assuming he failed to kill all my guys, very likely since he was going to be 1:4 minus 1), and rolled a 9. Nice game, Sam. My overall impression of the scenario is that it favors the French. He didn't get to use his 75 gun because of a misplacement, and with it in play it would have been even harder for the Germans. I could have tried some other strategies, but I don't think they'd be that much more likely to succeed than what I did. I think the Germans can win, but good French play will get a victory more often than not.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably my last game for 2018, my buddy Rich came by and we played YASL 13 Die to the Last Man. At first glance your thinking, both sides can do all sorts of stuff but in reality that is not the case here. I played the IJA in this scenario and thought I could swing around and try to exit off the map, boy was I wrong. First of all the Japs have 5 turns to exit instead of doing a hedgehog defense. And so that is what I tried to do as the japs and was slpped down pretty hard by Rich's Brits, whom by turn 4 outnumbers me two to one. By turn 6 with the brits having gained 40+ CVP vs my poultry 8CVP, I decided to throw in the towel.

We talked after the scenario and we both felt that the Japanese can not win by exiting, too many brits, not enough time to overcome the terrain and the Brits standing in my way. So probably a hedgehog defense will serve the japs better, it will be a boring scenario but there really is no way around it. Too many Brit squads will stop any chances of exiting. Interesting scenario on paper but if played correctly, will be a boring affair.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Erik Lindblad and I played a brutal game of HS25 LAMBS LED TO SLAUGHTER.
Played this after ASLOK and also lost as the Canadians despite some recon fire breaking the HIP observer. The 88mm did a lot of damage as well as a late inning counterattack. Per ROAR a bit pro-German.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Transvanlyia Imbroglio from the KE boys, dated 1998

I was the Rumanians and had Jeff DY hand me my hat. SAN 2 for Jeff. 4 shots, 2 kills, recalling a HT and a PSW 222.

And it only got worst from there. The evil 8-1 SMC with the HMG? ROF tear to include a snakes and two 3s......
Good scenario I'd play it again as either side.
Pretty rare scenario. Not too many people were able to get this module. I have always been curious how the KE counters matched up with those of MMP later.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty rare scenario. Not too many people were able to get this module. I have always been curious how the KE counters matched up with those of MMP later.
They were pretty similar. I don’t have them in front of me , but I remember the target size being different on the Zrinyi

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It doesn't really matter. Zrinyi's are just smoke counters. They sometimes place one in the Prep Fire Phase. But mostly in their own hex when burning.
Especially against T-34/85s.

They have some utility against the 76mm flavor.

But 85mm, and a 76mm Sherman’s, it a brave man if he’s crewing a Zrinyi.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
FB5 Siesta Time played fast and furious. Bill and I had a blast battling it out in Buda. He picked the scenario and I asked for the attacking Russians. The Hungarians have 8 squads, few SW, and few fortifications, ammo shortage level 2 vs. 10 Russian squads, inc. assault engineers, and a couple FT

Interesting weather: wet, overcast, ground snow, falling snow, heavy snow, and snow drifts! there were two snow intensity increases during play. Weather helped the attacking Russians but it was slow going

The Russians have to take the Siesta Sanatorium and prevent 6 exit VP Hungarians from getting off board. There is an instant Russian win possibility and setup restrictions so the Hungarians have to hold N30 for 3 turns but they can't exit off until turn 4. Seems a bit tough on the Hungarians

Russian plan was to run hard and fast along the south edge to cutoff his guys from exiting and slowly strangle the Siesta. The plan worked pretty well but it was a pretty intense struggle with heaps of exciting random events and effects that only ASL can provide

There were devastating SAN results for both sides, ammo shortage MMG & X'ed out on repair, a Hungarian squad reduced to conscript on ammo short but went on to great deeds holding the Russians at bay in front of the Siesta and just missed getting a leader in HtH CC. My first Russian FT shot X'ed out but the other Russian FT brought extra juice and cooked Hungarians all game long

Russian DC and FT combo and some desperate HtH CC reduced the Siesta and there were plenty of Russians and too few Hungarians in the exit area giving the Russian win. Hungarians got to orchestrate a considerable withdrawal while holding a critical VC building. Tough challenge given the Russian firepower

FB is my my favorite HM. Siesta Time was one of the few scenarios I had not played. It is a fun scenario that played really fast. I would play it again as either side but I would bid Russian

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The T-Patchers ASL 180 Italy '43, US attack on German held village. I launched my main attack on the east end, and a secondary one across the board 11 hill. Main attack went well, the diversion got shot up and destroyed quickly. The PaK 348 and StuGs did well, claiming 2 Shermans. But the US Infantry still swarmed forward. A lucky Bazooka hit took out a StuG, and the last Sherman got the other. US win.

Reactions: Roy

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Frosty the Snowman SP 260 Finland '39. Soviet attack on hasty Finn defense. Soviet attack up the middle- there is the most cover that way. Lots of in-effective shots exchanged by both sides at first. To give some depth to the Finn defense, I left some back side buildings unoccupied. BUT, this counts towards the Ruski victory conditions.... This led to some scrambling on my part. In the end, the Finns held, but it was close. Starts slow, but gets much more interesting at the end.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Today I played last ASL for 2018 with my cousin Mikko "I am not Tuomo but I close" Lukkari. We played DTF-8 Art of War.

I was the attacking Chinese and Mikko was the defending Chinese. I came in fro three directions with the idea of keeping the defense spread out. With hindsight I was probably bit too spread out and as one leader was wounded by sniper and another rolled 12 on a MC I really started to be in trouble because of rallying was not possible as I could not move the leaders to pick up brokies.

In the end I still managed to make a game out of it and in the end we ended up into the last possible CCPh were I managed to have 6 CCs contesting buildings, I needed 2 more buildings as I had 7, but on the other had one of the M3A3 tanks was also immobilized and engaged in CC. We both ended up rolling high on the CC rolls, I did not get any more building but the tank survived as well so the game ended with 7 locations with melee markers! Communist victory, but it was a close one. I liked the scenario.

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Today I played last ASL for 2018 with my cousin Mikko "I am not Tuomo but I close" Lukkari. We played DTF-8 Art of War.

I was the attacking Chinese and Mikko was the defending Chinese. I came in fro three directions with the idea of keeping the defense spread out. With hindsight I was probably bit too spread out and as one leader was wounded by sniper and another rolled 12 on a MC I really started to be in trouble because of rallying was not possible as I could not move the leaders to pick up brokies.

In the end I still managed to make a game out of it and in the end we ended up into the last possible CCPh were I managed to have 6 CCs contesting buildings, I needed 2 more buildings as I had 7, but on the other had one of the M3A3 tanks was also immobilized and engaged in CC. We both ended up rolling high on the CC rolls, I did not get any more building but the tank survived as well so the gmae ended with 7 locations of melee markers! Communist victory, but it was a close one. I liked the scenario.
Fantastic !!!