So what scenarios have you played Recently?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Along Rollbahn D. from Teutonic Terror 4. Only way the Germans can get through the American defenders of Honsfeld is to charge down the enemy's throat. The American player, though outnumbered 1.5 to 1, has all the transport in the world available by turn 2. German infantry is all straight leg, so the FlaK Panzer and supporting armored cars must strike immediately to negate the American advantage.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Played RPT105 Flaming Star as the Russians.

I believe this one is tough on the Germans. Our game was over at the start of German Turn 2 because his setup allowed my Russian IS-2's to pick off 3 Tigers in the first PFPh. But even without such a setup mistake, I believe it is a tough one for the Germans.

Full AAR to be found under this Link.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played RPT105 Flaming Star as the Russians.

I believe this one is tough on the Germans. Our game was over at the start of German Turn 2 because his setup allowed my Russian IS-2's to pick off 3 Tigers in the first PFPh. But even without such a setup mistake, I believe it is a tough one for the Germans.

Full AAR to be found under this Link.

von Marwitz
Played this one a while back, counterattacked with the Tigers and a small force of infantry in the face of the Russian attack. Lost a Tiger early and had another immobilized but took out all the IS-2's by GT3 and finally squashed any attempts by his infantry force to come anywhere near the VC.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hi all-

Got together with Rich today and we had a chance to play frf wrecking the rentals. I did not like the gamey aspect of the set up restrictions placed on both the Germans and Russians. The Germans have to set up within a certain band of hexrows away from the VC area and the Russians have to set up >= so many hexes from the German set up area and forced to have all units as riders. I do not like it when scenario designers try to force me to play the game their way and with most frf scenarios, this is usually the case. The VC is very gamey in itself, the Russians win at game end by have two units (squad, tank ect ect) within 5 hexes of a certain hex. So expect mad rushes of unrealistic tactics to occur. The Russians get a crapload of armor consisting of Sherman III and Val V's. The Germans get on board one Marder II and an 81mm mortar. Remember your Sherman vehicle note R when comes to gun duels, very important. Rich and I did play this one twice, with me losing as both the Germans and as the Russians. Both games were close but Rich's dice were a bit more hotter then mine were.

I really did not like this scenario, it did not feel like an eastfront action and felt more like my blue guys vs your brown guys, very very standard fare and nothing extraordinary what so ever about this scenario. The scenario is balanced but not much fun to play for me. I guess I just do not like gamey and restrictive set up type of designs. Anyway, if you like standard ASL fare that is very generic then this scenario is for you.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
My Japanese defenders won the Tanambogo Nightmare. It greatly helped that in the end game, the American 200+mm NOBA wasn't accurate and included a hex into which the Americans HAD to unload their last landing craft because they beached there the previous turn. Seaborne Assault rules are cruel, and so my Japanese troops could just sit in their nice, relatively save trenches and pillboxes and watch the Marines get killed by their own guns.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Played this one a while back, counterattacked with the Tigers and a small force of infantry in the face of the Russian attack. Lost a Tiger early and had another immobilized but took out all the IS-2's by GT3 and finally squashed any attempts by his infantry force to come anywhere near the VC.
That's the spirit!

But I reckon that is quite a feat to pull off. The Tigers have a TK of 20 for their 88L against 14 Hull Armor or 18 Turret Armor (frontal). So if they can't get into the flank of the IS-2's, killing them is not easy. If you do it with PFs of the scarce German infantry, then the Russians must not be close.

von Marwitz

buser333

Reaction score
That's the spirit!

But I reckon that is quite a feat to pull off. The Tigers have a TK of 20 for their 88L against 14 Hull Armor or 18 Turret Armor (frontal). So if they can't get into the flank of the IS-2's, killing them is not easy. If you do it with PFs of the scarce German infantry, then the Russians must not be close.

von Marwitz
I agree this one is very difficult for the Germans. If I were to defend as them I would sit concealed as long as possible. In other words, it would be a highly boring defensive game.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's the spirit!

von Marwitz
Lot of skoot'in & shoot'in IIRC. I do believe the Tigers helped keep the Russian Infantry down & I do remember at least 2 JS's going down to PF (or was it CC?:rolleyes:).

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Lot of skoot'in & shoot'in IIRC. I do believe the Tigers helped keep the Russian Infantry down & I do remember at least 2 JS's going down to PF (or was it CC?:rolleyes:).
Thanks, Tom, for bringing up a game I was hoping to forget. As I recall, my plan was to take out at least one Tiger in prep fire, even going CE to boost my odds. Didn't work. Then you returned fire with HE and I've got a couple of stunned JS's. I never did get any good attacking momentum going in that one. Well-placed Tigers had good overwatch and made it difficult isolate them.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is Where We Stand. ASL 210. Korea ‘50, First night of the Chinese offensive. I set up the Marines along all the level 3 hexes. With some 1.5 squad sized HIP outposts.

The CPVA came on and the blood letting began. The trip flares helped. I got flanked on the south end, right where my 10-2 and radio was. My opponent did an excellent job of maintaining concealment, only firing the HMGs, mortars, and units that were already revealed, and in OG, within NVR.

NVR went to 2 at one point. I was losing 7–6-8s in HTH for single CPVA squads. Rough. One of my outposts was able to hold in the middle of the hill. The Marine reinforcements came on and made for the middle and north end. The north end held, even launching a small counterattack at one point. The middle went under with the tidal wave. Narrow Marine victory.

Excellent scenario. Recommended!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Rakkasan Ruckus [RPT149] Dave Stephens took the North Koreans having played this scenario before which I sort of guessed at. I did have this elite para unit with the high firepower (a fact previously suffered by Dave) and even better, a seven morale! I gacked the U.S. setup thinking the two 120mm mortars could decimate my men not realizing their minimum range could not touch my men in the village (doh!). No problem as for my efforts I got some concealment which always comes in handy.

Like most of these Korean Rally Points there are two widely separated victory hex areas. If is imperative for the KPA to interdict any Americans moving west to the hills and to support the reinforcement group to deny or take back any of the ten victory points that these hills represent. In the end it was the difference in the game as I got all ten of those points as only one mortar was emplaced on the hill. I did have a flurry of snake eyes including a CH on the hilltop mortar which did not help the KPA cause either. First blow out I experienced with this pack.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really enjoyed a tense game at our Twin Citie ASL day with Tom Yetter. Played YASL7 Making a Break For It as the defending Germans against the British paratroopers attempting to break out from the Oostebeek pocket. The Brits needed to exit 14 VP off the opposite side of the map. 15 648 squad equivalents for them; 14 for the German who had a long two-map wide (20 hexes) to defend against the brits who enter from off board. Thus the Germans had to be able to cover everything but redeploy to meet the main allied thrust.

This scenario was a slow fighting withdrawal for the Germans. Careful to never accept a fight I didn't need to take, I rolled slowly back maintaining concealment as much as possible. Most of the Brit artack focused on the north end -- board 5 -- with a platoon of paratroopers hitting the southern side -- board 46. This platoon was held up by stubborn defenders who benefitted from the stone buildings and LV hindrance. They were unable to make progress and by the end of the game these VP would not threaten exit.

On the north side the German reaction was effective and was covering the northern-most open ground hex rows with multiple MGs and several squads. Here the Brits had to adjust to leverage the woods forcing them to burn a turn moving parrallel to the exit Mapedge. By this time we had gotten through 4.5 of 5.5 turns and the clock was fast running out for the Brits. There was material defensive resistance remaining and the upcoming German turn would be spent deploying to seal the board edge. As a resul, the paratroopers called it a day.

Really a wonderful scenario that was very tight now sitting at 12-10 for the defenders. The Germans have a lot to defend, but have equal squad numbers to compensate. The paratroopers are tough and strong, but have to contend with a rolling defensive withdrawal that minimized massive FP attacks. Tom played a very good game, but neutralizing defenders on board 46 in stone plus the LV hindrance means most shots are +4. This really shut down the southern side of the battle (containing seven of the 37 allied VP) and forced things on the northern board 5.

A great way to spend a cold, icy Minnesota Saturday. Thanks to Tom for another memorable and fun game. Too, a special thanks to KC's Dan Best and his Minnesota nephew Mark for stopping in and playing. If you are ever visiting the Twin Cities area, be sure to be here on the second Saturday of the month for a game.

Last edited:

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Big Noodle and I played HF6 "Jackpot Jones" today, about five feet west of the game @Houlie described above. HF6 is a typically excellent Hatten scenario, well balanced, and with a lot of challenges for both sides. It's similar to both HF3 and HF4 in that in some ways it can be seen as two games in one-- there's the point blank range infantry slugfest that occurs as the Germans advance house to house, and there's the swirling armor battle that's sure to break out as tanks go down the flanks to cut route paths.

My attack went entirely along an east- west axis, with the halftracks on the South flank, and the heavy metal to the North. Arguably, this was a mistake as when all was said and done every single AFV in my order of battle was fit only for scrap-- if any enterprising scrap dealer wanted to brave the flames to recover it, that is. On the other hand, my infantry was able to press hard enough up the center to bring machine guns to bear on the American strongpoints. Once the GIs started to break, AFVs were able to keep them DM or cause kills for failure to route.

Though some Americans remained on board at the game's end (including all of the M18s-- they're an utter pain in the neck to try to take out with a Panther-- sorta like hunting flies with a sledgehammer), they had been forced out of the victory area. With the buildings firmly held by the panzergrenadiers, the result was a....

GERMAN WIN

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really enjoyed a tense game at our Twin Citie ASL day with Tom Yetter. Played YASL7 Making a Break For It as the defending Germans against the British paratroopers attempting to break out from the Oostebeek pocket. The Brits needed to exit 14 VP off the opposite side of the map. 15 648 squad equivalents for them; 14 for the German who had a long two-map wide (20 hexes) to defend against the brits who enter from off board. Thus the Germans had to be able to cover everything but redeploy to meet the main allied thrust.

This scenario was a slow fighting withdrawal for the Germans. Careful to never accept a fight I didn't need to take, I rolled slowly back maintaining concealment as much as possible. Most of the Brit artack focused on the north end -- board 5 -- with a platoon of paratroopers hitting the southern side -- board 46. This platoon was held up by stubborn defenders who benefitted from the stone buildings and LV hindrance. They were unable to make progress and by the end of the game these VP would threaten exit.

On the north side the German reaction was effective and was covering the northern-most open ground hex rows with multiple MGs and several squads. Here the Brits had to adjust to leverage the woods forcing them to burn a turn moving parrallel to the exit Mapedge. By this time we had gotten through 4.5 of 5.5 turns and the clock was fast running out for the Brits. There was material defensive resistance remaining and the upcoming German turn would be spent deploying to seal the board edge. As a resul, the paratroopers called it a day.

Really a wonderful scenario that was very tight now sitting at 12-10 for the defenders. The Germans have a lot to defend, but have equal squad numbers to compensate. The paratroopers are tough and strong, but have to contend with a rolling defensive withdrawal that minimized massive FP attacks. Tom played a very good game, but neutralizing defenders on board 46 in stone plus the LV hindrance means most shots are +4. This really shut down the southern side of the battle (containing seven of the 37 allied VP) and forced things on the northern board 5.

A great way to spend a cold, icy Minnesota Saturday. Thanks to Tom for another memorable and fun game. Too, a special thanks to KC's Dan Best and his Minnesota nephew Mark for stopping in and playing. If you are ever visiting the Twin Cities area, be sure to be here on the second Saturday of the month for a game.
Yup, not aggressive enough with that big leader for my part (also didn't expect the AAA gun off on a flank). I think I got gun shy after losing the 9-1 early. I would still choose the woods over the village almost every time as I think it would just be too difficult to pry SS & fanatic 447's from stone structures given an additional +1LV, and it would be too dangerous to try an skirt them. A very enjoyable game with a disconcerting end for me.:nod::D

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played TAC50 Task Force Smith. A Korean War scenario, but really, it played like a hypothetical WW III scenario since it lacked anything to make it seem like it was in Korea. Pretty fast playing game. Heavy rain never subsided and must have swamped my American equipment as the radio, a 50 cal, a bazooka on it's first shot, and and three of four mortars broke down. Horrible luck notwithstanding, the game was still pretty close. Once the 50 cal on the larger hill mass went down, there was no stopping the North Koreans. With my playing, ROAR has it 4-0 North Korea, but I don't think it's unbalanced. Had my luck been a bit better, I think I could have come up with the win. Recommended for either side.