So what scenarios have you played Recently?

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I have now played 4 Hakkaa Paale scenarios (and prepared for 2 others) - my favourite without doubt is 163 Stopped Cold - however at ASLOK Rob Loper and I will play Torment at Tormua, which I hope will be another good game.
Torment at Tormua is one of the best ones in HP in my opinion - I hope to stop by personally at ASLOK to see how you like it. And Stopped Cold is one of the better ones too.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
One thing that did keep going through my mind was: why on earth did the designer decide on SAN 5 for the defender and SAN 6 for the attacker?
Rumor has it, that Friendly Fire was conned and the scenario was not based on any historical event but on a Hollywood movie featuring Chuck Norris attacking. ;)

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I tried to create something that was different from the normal fare and keep it relatively small and quick playing.
And I think in this regard, the scenario is a success. It plays rather differently, and is fun to play. It's just too dicey to be a very attractive proposition for a tournament - something we seem to all agree on :)

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Sure, SAN 6 makes it a gamble to hide a single squad in the back - but it also increases a lot the importance of these random effects. Plus, that's already a frequent complaint about small scenarios.
Had the scenario in SAT 2015 and it worked out fine with a special map (save time on the overlays placement), the scenario was in the first round of the tournament when players are ceded vs another, then the more experienced player most overcome the challenge, while the more inexperienced player have a shoot of joy - to make a better player lose.

The scenario would also work out as a Sunday last scenario round, when players are more in line in ranking vs each other and since that is the only scenario for the day, play best out of three (slow players would rather play something else that round).
1536403340948.png

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished G17 Hakkaa Paalle on Wednesday. This is a different one with as running fight on skies on heavy snow. A scenario of lousy shots and the flurry of a fight near the ends. And it includes the dread Drifts rules. I enjoyed it. The Russians won.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Finished G17 Hakkaa Paalle on Wednesday. This is a different one with as running fight on skies on heavy snow. A scenario of lousy shots and the flurry of a fight near the ends. And it includes the dread Drifts rules. I enjoyed it. The Russians won.
Only a brave man plays with Drifts.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Only a brave man plays with Drifts.
Or a beginner, as he can still rely on a full set of A-GG counters without gaps. :D

The scenario is original. When i played it, almost all my Soviet LMG malfunctionned right from the beginning and i was just like a sitting duck in the open as the Finns pounded my force from optimal range. That was even more special.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played BFP 101 Panzer Spirit against David Hailey. I had the Germans. This was a comfortable German win, as David couldn't catch a break on the rolls throughout the decisive first 3 turns. For example, one Marder picked off 2 T-34s that were both behind a wall, needing roughly a 6 or 7 and turret hits, getting APCR for each. The Marders made quick work of the T-34s by the time-honored tactic of rolling low, and the Russian infantry could make no headway, facing defenders with better morale in better terrain.

Reactions: Roy

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Black Day in Hatten ASL HF 1 Surprising that the first scenario in a HASL about a German offensive is a hasty American counterattack... The US pressed hard with the LV hindrance, mostly in the K9 block. The Panzergerenadiers did well against the 42nd Division guys, but the Hellcat support was the difference. Showers of Panzerfausts, but I don't recall a single hit. The 60mm WP was quite effective while it lasted. US win.

Nice village fight.
Got a German win the other day but it was close. My right flank collapsed letting some U.S. squads outflank, bypass, surround and kill off my 8-0 leader, a squad and two half-squads. It did hold him up for a critical two turns as I used some dummies to reinforce the open flank causing caution in turn three (no LV hindrance). I got two of his tanks (75m and a PF) that were hull down but on the next to the last turn almost all the Americans were available to attack the last two (he needed only one) back victory hexes. I had three squads and a broken gun and about three squads worth of DM broken units. I rallied a half-squad after fixing the gun which later got a critical hit against an oncoming two squads and a leader in smoke breaking them all. Other U.S. units were broken or pinned allowing me the win. The repair roll, CH and ROF maintenance was the deciding factor. In hindsight I should have used all my broken units to block hexes adjacent to the vicotry hexes given the poor chance to rally them. I did not HIP the gun and the American got zero smoke.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
The scenario would also work out as a Sunday last scenario round, when players are more in line in ranking vs each other and since that is the only scenario for the day, play best out of three (slow players would rather play something else that round).
Played as one of the last scenarios at Grenadier last year.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played DASL 2 Berserk! which seems pro-Russian. Right off the bat, his 8-0 leader goes berserk with a squad, the squad is KIA’d in the street but leader makes it to the building where he throws the demo charge and rubbles it, eliminating my squad.

Started off the game pretty well but had several bad middle turns and thought I’d pretty much lost it with two turns to go in this 7-turn scenario.

However, last turn the Russians were able to assault move upstairs with a 9-2 heroic leader, hero, 4-5-8 battle hardened squad, and 6-2-8 squad. In Hand-to-Hand vs an 8-1 and 4-6-7, the Russians would have had good odds to win in simultaneous combat, but the Germans got the ambush and killed my 6-2-8 with a roll of “6” for their win. Always nice when it comes down to a tense last turn with the last melee roll, my opponent said "these types of endings make me want to drink."

Reactions: Roy

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A89 First Day of Diadem A brutal opening Turn from German kill stacks trying to soften me up had my Free French reeling a bit. On my right flank, my 9-1 bit it and I lost a full squad and the HMG the first turn. My 60mm MTR also went down to boxes. But advantageous pre-game shell hole placement and a HOB daily double allowed me to shore up my board 9 right flank forcing the Germans to Prep a lot the next several turns trying to punch a hole. By the time they did they got bottled up by my 100mm OBA. My FFE attacks slowed them down but they also generated three HOB daily doubles for the Germans. I'm not kidding ... they got 3 x battled hardened squads and 3 x heroes from fending off 20 flat or +1 IFT attacks. But despite that disheartening turn of events (that was some crazy $*&^ to watch) and the Germans capturing a full French squad, the OBA and my surviving units (mostly half squads) kept the Germans from getting the 25CVP points on board 9 hill hexes they needed for the win. What a roller coaster of a game.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Todays game was WO27 Checking Out vs. Kirby Vincent.

I had the defense with US and Kirby attacked with the SS. I setup fairly spread out and spent some time agonizing the palcement of the Sherman, the setup of the tankis fairly restrictive. I setup the MMGs into crossfire with 9 morale leaders.

Kirby made a slow attack which almost worked in the end. I felt I had the upper hand and got cheeky- Kirby advanced into a CC in the central building, I ambushed him and decided to attach in hand to hand as I got the first attack with reasonably good chance only to lose my unit when I rolled high and he rolled a 3. This threw my game out of balance, the central building fell and in the end he got 5 of the required 6 buildings . In the 6th he advanced in to cc during the last German turn - this time I abushed him again and as I had now learned my lesson I withdrew to claim victory.

Overall an enjoyable game. I have now played 3 out of the 5 scenarios in the new WO DASL pack and I have enjoyed it a lot. I did some DASL way back then, and it is really cool to have new boards.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno and I finished J175 BEDBURG BITE, a scenario with interesting VC. I had the German defenders. I put the mines in the building hexes in front of the stone buildings. I had the 81 behind a hedge to cover the woods line on the Canadian right. Cdns tripped two of them and got stuck for the duration. Bruno had bad luck with his smoke mortars. His light mortar team was eliminated while trying to get into position to smoke the German 81. That light mortar was never possessed again. One Churchill went down to a PF. Kangaroos carried three squads and a leader to 3 point area; two made it. Germans gave up first two stone buildings on turn 3. By then, they had people in the 5 point building. Bruno conceded because of infantry casualties on turn 5.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played HG-2 Konitsa Crackdown as the defending Italians. Long game. Missed most of my Broncos game because of it! Seven hours - and we started rushing near the end - and a turn left to go when my friend conceded. I read a couple of small write-ups about this scenario on the ASL Scenario Archive and they were spot on about Board H. That really was where the game was won or lost in our playing. The Greeks smoked the front side of the level four hills but constantly got pushed back by my reverse slope defense. They manged to get half squads up there but never could use them to exploit anything. In the end, they only got about a third of the hill tops but at a large price in men (mostly broken half squads).

The village on the other board slowly fell as the Italians were overwhelmed by superior quality troops. However, the highlight of the game (for me, anyway) came from that side when I got a CH with a PB IF shot on the Greek 9-2 kill stack. Random selection took out the 9-2 (CR wound kill) and a MMG toting squad (CR/break/LLMC fail). The other MMG squad broke and then half squaded on the LLMC. It didn't stem the tide, but it demoralized the hell out of my opponent!

Like I said, we called it when we realized there was no way for the Greeks to get the required 30 VPs for the win. Fun - if long - scenario. With our playing, it is almost perfectly even in ROAR (9 Italian, 10 Greek) so an easy recommendation for either side.

Last edited: