So what scenarios have you played Recently?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If my understanding is correct, if the British exit a full squad, the Chinese only have to exit 53 EVP, correct?
No, it would reduce the number of Exit VP the Chinese has exited - not what they need to Exit. "Communist Chinese Exit VP total" = "the total number of Exit VP that they have exited".

So it would, in effect, raise the needed Exit VP to 57.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I remember that Glennbo was the most vocal against overlays, but he left the forum three years ago. I haven't seen many others shunning scenarios with overlays.
Many place a pane of acrylic glass on the map anyway, so that also reduces the inconvenience of overlays moving or generating an uneven playing surface.
I also think that people using VASL don't mind using overlays, as placing them is a breeze.

I would like to see the overlay bundle come out some day, btw.
For VASL play, Overlays don't matter and only add to variation. For cardboard play, I don't mind a few overlays but will shun many.

When playing cardboard, I always play directly on the boards (and overlays). For my personal taste, acrylic glass adds to glare and makes LOS checks more imprecise.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I played 'ASL 214 Seoul Saving' vs. Ken D. this past Saturday. Very hard on the Chinese IMHO, but I was diced badly too. It has a strangly worded VC. It did not matter because I had less than =< 55 EVP of units left when I called it on Turn 4.

If my understanding is correct, if the British exit a full squad, the Chinese only have to exit 53 EVP, correct? If so, what possible incentive does the British have to exit? If my interpretation is wrong, and if the Brits exit a full squad which increase EVP for Chinese to 57, then I think this scenario is even harder for the Chinese.

View attachment 5551
I believe the VP total is the actual amount the Chinese have scored, and the requirement for victory remains 55. So if the Chinese have scored (say) 47 EVP so far and the British exit 2 VP of their own, the Chinese are now considered to have exited 45 EVP.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I read that as for each 1 British VP exited the current CPV exit VP total is reduced by 1, not the total required. The effect is the same as requiring the CPV to exit an extra VP to compensate or alternatively may be thought as increasing the CPV VP requirement by the British exit VP.

IE: CPV win if (CPV EVP - British EVP) >= 55.

But that's just my reading.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I read that as for each 1 British VP exited the current CPV exit VP total is reduced by 1, not the total required. The effect is the same as requiring the CPV to exit an extra VP to compensate or alternatively may be thought as increasing the CPV VP requirement by the British exit VP.

IE: CPV win if (CPV EVP - British EVP) >= 55.

But that's just my reading.
That is the correct reading.

An alternative text could have been to say that the Chinese Exit VP requirement is increased by the number of British Exit VP.

Perhaps that would have been a better/more-clear way of formulating the VC. I think the current version is clear enough, but then
again I know the intention and I proofread the scenario, so I am a bit biased of course.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember that Glennbo was the most vocal against overlays, but he left the forum three years ago. I haven't seen many others shunning scenarios with overlays.
Many place a pane of acrylic glass on the map anyway, so that also reduces the inconvenience of overlays moving or generating an uneven playing surface.
I also think that people using VASL don't mind using overlays, as placing them is a breeze.

I would like to see the overlay bundle come out some day, btw.
I know a few players that will not play a scenario with overlays. I also know players that won't play certain terrain, rules, etc. I don't get it personally but to each their own.

As far as overlays go though, I think they should be released as a support download for players to print. They are useless without the boards and the idea that a player missing say the Journal 4 hedge overlays should have to repurchase every overlay made just to get that sheet doesn't sit well from a consumer standpoint.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
What happened to Glennbo?
I'm not too clear. About 3-6 months before he left his online personality got ratty. I was used to his normal ... bombastic ... style but there now was an edge that I found unsettling. From the reaction of others I think I was not alone in being concerned. Clearly there were major changes going on in real life. Others mentioned that he still is on other social media, so hopefully things have settled down for him.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Played J101 The Coconut Plantation against Aaron Cleavin at Paddington Bears last weekend. Had the defending Aussies and the game went well for me for the first 2-3 turns as my two OBA modules maintained a curtain of steel between me and the aggressing Japanese. However around the mid game I malfunctioned one radio and failed radio contact with the other on the same turn. Three banzais later the defence was well and truly overwhelmed despite inflicting heavy casualties on the attackers.

As always OBA is a fickle mistress, but I would rate this as a good scenario well worth trying.

Rich

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played 'ASL 214 Seoul Saving' vs. Ken D. this past Saturday. Very hard on the Chinese IMHO, but I was diced badly too. It has a strangly worded VC. It did not matter because I had less than =< 55 EVP of units left when I called it on Turn 4.

Doug,

I think you are reading the VC backwards. For each British unit exited, the effective number of Chinese EVP exited is reduced by that amount, not the required number of Chinese EVP.

So, it may have been cleaner/clearer to say that the REQUIRED number of Chinese EVP is increased, but there is probably an MMP scenario wording standard that necessitates it being worded that way.

IMO.

Bill

If my understanding is correct, if the British exit a full squad, the Chinese only have to exit 53 EVP, correct? If so, what possible incentive does the British have to exit? If my interpretation is wrong, and if the Brits exit a full squad which increase EVP for Chinese to 57, then I think this scenario is even harder for the Chinese.

View attachment 5551

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
He went mad at everybody and slammed the door.
Before he changed - he had followed a diet and other health improving disciplines, IIRC, which modified his worldview - I rather liked his humour and his high profile.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I had the Russians in FT223 KINGS AT BOLLERSDORF against Magnus Rimvall. I tried to squeeze the IS2 tanks by the German infantry on the Russian right. Lost two of them. In turn 3, my last IS2 was hemmed in by three Tigers. It hit one but did not kill. After it died, I conceded since there was no way my remaining five T34 could get by four Tigers.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Pitman’s reviews of Glenn’s packs kept saying things like they were not well playtested and Glenn went thermonuclear on him one day and quit in a thread of blazing glory. There were other things going on in his life and years of playtesting in his bunker caught up with him I guess. He is around on Facebook once in a while but no more ASL I believe. GS is pretty lame anymore.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Spencer, too bad, some of them ESG scenarios were awesome, with great names too. Glennbo was my inspiration for scenario names.

Blackened and Fried, They Burnt as they Died
Ripped and Shredded
Fileting d'French
Piepers Petrol Blown
Smash, Crush and Destroy

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Spencer, too bad, some of them ESG scenarios were awesome, with great names too. Glennbo was my inspiration for scenario names.

Blackened and Fried, They Burnt as they Died
Ripped and Shredded
Fileting d'French
Piepers Petrol Blown
Smash, Crush and Destroy
I wish as much care and energy had been put into the playtesting and proofing as was obviously put into scenario titling.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
My favorite Glennbo titles:

- Frosty the Dead Man
- BB Gun at the Baby Parade