So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW: Epic story I heard at ASLOK of someone who Malfunctioned BOTH AT guns on the first shots and still won as the German.......that was awesome to hear.
That was me. Just as you described...a tense playing with lots of sighs of relief as each tank was picked off the hard way (PF, PSK, CC, and halftrack). Had to "cowboy-up" for that one.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two Coins for the Ferryman HoB LM12 Chinese Civil War- (the most recent one..) A kind of river crossing in progress scenario. Chinese Communists already have a strong but small force on the objective side of the river, troops on the slow boat to.... you know where, and some support on the wrong side. The Nationalists have a lot of crap squads to retake the crossing point. At first, nothing went right as the Nationalists. The ChiComs repelled all attacks, and CHed the Nationalist Mortar. Finally the Dare Death Squads got through, won some melees, and the ChiComs were now in trouble. This was happening as the ChiCom reinforcements landed. They countered, but only retook one hex. Nationalist victory.

Nice Scenario

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Iron Greeting BFP-140 Poland '39. Polish tank and infantry force must take 3 buildings from the Soviets. The Poles are driving French tanks, and the Soviets BTs. I went aggressively at the west end of the village before the Soviet tanks and reinforcements arrived. In spite of some slow developing melees, the original Soviet force was killed or driven off. The Sov reinforcements came on. I blocked the infantry at the edge of town, and won the tank battle as well. BUT, I left the farthest VC building unguarded. On the last turn, the LAST BT dove around my whole OB, surviving several shots in the process, and into building P7- claiming the victory. Gotta love ASL!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Played "Flanking Flamethrowers" [J104] at the behest of Dave Stephens who obviously did not see how favored the Germans were (now 57/28). It was the fastest blowout in years between us. The Russians probably need everything as far back as possible and dig in hoping the few speed bumps left on board 32 slow the Germans long enough to allow this. I moved everybody out of LOS entering and did not risk any tanks in or beyond the woods. My advance phase followed by the prep fire phase where two Russian squads broke started the avalanche. The main asset of the Russians, the 76L artillery piece, was the only unit of board 38 and missed its one chance to take out an AFV and then broke on an IF shot. Game over. I need to see if Xavier has any hints for the Russians.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Iron Greeting BFP-140 ...On the last turn, the LAST BT dove around my whole OB, surviving several shots in the process, and into building P7- claiming the victory. Gotta love ASL!
There is always a clown who doesn't play by the rules. :)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
On the last turn, the LAST BT dove around my whole OB, surviving several shots in the process, and into building P7- claiming the victory.
The VC are building control, vehicles can't control buildings [A26.14], and by SSR crews may not voluntarily abandon their vehicles.

JR

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmmm. We thought they could, as long as, nobody else was in the building, and the AFV didn't leave.

We will have to look again...

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmmm. We thought they could, as long as, nobody else was in the building, and the AFV didn't leave.

We will have to look again...
Yeah, they only control locations and by that sometimes hexes, but not buildings. JR is correct.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The reputation far outweighs the quality of the scenario.

If this was printed nowadays in a Journal, we would all say it is cookie cutter late war......I do not particularly like the VC, nor the almost total lack of Fog of War, nor the silly stuff with the Goliaths.

7 out of 10 in my book, maximum.
And historically dubious with T-44s

It DOES fit the strong model of 'Lots of ASL in a fairly small package' -which helps explain it's classic standing.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
And historically dubious with T-44s

It DOES fit the strong model of 'Lots of ASL in a fairly small package' -which helps explain it's classic standing.
Of course, it has tons of cool toys.

I don't particularly like scenarios where the defender sets up very close/surrounded by the enemy, with almost no concealment counters or HIP assets......just not my idea of how infantry combat was like (too much a game, nothing much uncertain or a nasty surprise).

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The VC are building control, vehicles can't control buildings [A26.14], and by SSR crews may not voluntarily abandon their vehicles.

JR
Yup. I guessed I won that one after all.

It was still a fun game.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cross-posted from the Twin Cities ASL thread:

Geoff and I chose RPT85 Choiseul Few with me as the attacking Japanese against the Geoff's defending Para-Marines on interesting board 8a. This was an excellent scenario with the Japanese seeking to achieve 2 of 3 VCs: exit 10 CVP / eliminate 12 allied CVP / no GO American MMC in 2 of 3 stone multi-hex buildings. Making this even more interesting is the Japanese force attacking the Americans is "chased" by an American reinforcement group.

This scenario was a blast. Lots of interesting LOS on this crowded board. I made good, steady progress trying to not do anything too risky knowing I'd need every FP point I could get. I was able to steadily chip away at the defense gaining 11 CVP and almost certainly in line to exit the 10 CVP. In addition, I wrestled away one multi-hex building though was threatened. It seemed apparent that the Americans would be unlikely to stop the Japanese and a full withdrawal was ordered.

An wildly fun game. An excellent situation and design. Highly recommended. Now at 9-9 on ROAR. Thanks to Geoff for another very enjoyable game. Great t see the guys again this month.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yup. I guessed I won that one after all.
You fell victim to the third-most-famous classic blunder--after getting involved in a land war in Asia and going against a Sicilian when death is on the line--always consult the rulebook when trying to control something with a vehicle in ASL.

JR

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes ASL is so flukey. I played FrF85 Junkers Junkyard winning because of one twist of fate. My friend played an excellent game as the Dutch but sometimes you can't overcome what fate offers. He quickly enveloped the overlay building by rolling snakes right out of the box to KIA one of my half squads. Moving the bulk of his force up forced me to skulk the other 1/2 squad back to the 9-1/5-4-8/MMG group in the rear building. I figured they'd hold for a turn or two or at least extract a pound of flesh along the way. The Dutch deftly moved a HMG behind a hedge to flank the building, rolled some sort of MC, and I promptly rolled two 12s in a row after the leader passed. The floodgates were open and I was on the ropes. I tried an ill advised FPF shot with another squad, rolled a 10, and lost him to FTR. If I lost the lone preassigned trench, I most likely would have succumbed to sheer numbers. Defending it was a squad and a MTR toting 1/2 squad. Here's where it got flukey - as if rolling two 12s in a row wasn't enough! The Dutch broke the 1/2 squad but the full squad survived. In the Dutch DFPh, my 1/2 squad, whom I kept in the trench, died by failing yet another MC. The full squad survived unscathed and picked up the now unpossesed MTR in the ensuing RPh. He then went on a serious rate tear with it as the Dutch came charging after him. Breaks and pins stopped the momentum and the rear area was secured. Had I not "lucked out" and lost that 1/2 squad, allowing the remaining squad to recover its now abandoned MTR, with two and 1/2 turns remaining, I have no doubt that the Dutch would have taken out the trench and streamed past it with enough force to probably break at least one of the two squads I had left next to the runway (I had one more that was far away from the battle due to constant routing earlier in the game). Fun for both sides but a bitter loss for the Dutch. No one outplayed each other, it just came down to one of those random things that makes ASL so exciting - and unpredictable. Recommended for either side but a little tough on the Dutch. Having to break almost all the Germans to win isn't that easy.

Last edited:

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
FrF64 No Time to Bleed v TK44 was fun for my dirtbag ss, dressed in their finest black, slapping the ruskies around. seems a bit tough for the russ. the ss used Pz IV for smoke machine, the tigers to cover flanks, and the panthers pretty much cleaned out the soviet AFV's or at least blew a hole through the ss right on the FrF board village. uncle Joe was mad. he lost the AT gun to a CH & his armor could do little to the big cats. however, he did manage to immobilize one but the panther still effectively fought on. I was careless with a tiger and he got a slick side shot w/intensive fire before being burned. the only Order of Lenin recipients that day were all quickly torched. the ss infantry moved pretty fast up their right, making for the opposite board edge for the exit VC, with a few MMC moving up the boards seam to cut off russ on board 4 from moving to reinforce FrF board. end of ss turn 6 a tiger was off and a bunch of infantry and the other panther were ready to move off board for victory but there were no more soviet AFV's left so he conceded. seems kinda tough on the Russians. they get a bunch of tanks (8 russ v 5 germ) but they are bit under gunned. the T-34's can't hardly touch a panther from the front. I think they have to use their superior numbers & woods movement SSR to try for side and rear shots on the big germ tanks: pray for APCR & roll low. I would play it again. I like the baddies in this one but would give the russ ago I think. fun scenario. love the FrF stuff

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I finished a multi-VASL-session playing of BFP108 THE CERAMIC CITY. Magnus' German OBA never came into play because the observer was wounded early in the game. At the beginning of the last German turn, Magnus had taken three buildings. The Polish had the rest well defended and he could not take any more.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Magnus Rimvall and I finished a multi-VASL-session playing of BFP108 THE CERAMIC CITY. Magnus' German OBA never came into play because the observer was wounded early in the game. At the beginning of the last German turn, Magnus had taken three buildings. The Polish had the rest well defended and he could not take any more.
that is a fun scenario

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
J168 Katyusha's Embrace is a real interesting one where the Axis has to choose between defending the buildings in the middle and risk being encircled by the Russians or backing off to the VC area and risk losing the buildings!

The Katyusha's too inaccurate to be real useful. Good advice from @Jacometti - best hold it off as a threat.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
J168 Katyusha's Embrace is a real interesting one where the Axis has to choose between defending the buildings in the middle and risk being encircled by the Russians or backing off to the VC area and risk losing the buildings!

The Katyusha's too inaccurate to be real useful. Good advice from @Jacometti - best hold it off as a threat.
THanks for the positive comments!

My advice would not be to hold it off as a threat, but to rain it down on Turn 1 on its preregistered hex to soften up the defenses, create some fun new terrain and generally roll a bunch of dice where the Axis player only cringes.....

On the PreReg hex, it is actually very likely to hit the area you want to hit. And by the time your Russians arrive, it is just some rubble, flames, shellholes and dead Axis soldiers left.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
THanks for the positive comments!

My advice would not be to hold it off as a threat, but to rain it down on Turn 1 on its preregistered hex to soften up the defenses, create some fun new terrain and generally roll a bunch of dice where the Axis player only cringes.....

On the PreReg hex, it is actually very likely to hit the area you want to hit. And by the time your Russians arrive, it is just some rubble, flames, shellholes and dead Axis soldiers left.
Prereg or not, Rocket OBA can't be accurate. There was much Axis rejoicing after my OBA came down. Now the shell holes are useful though!