So what scenarios have you played Recently?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was able to play two short scenarios, J116 Brigade Hill and ASLUG12 One-Log Bridge.

As the Japanese in Brigade Hill, I elected to defend only the two southern hills. The large center hill looked like it could be easily overrun. The Australians made good progress but their attack petered out at the base of the two smaller hills mostly due from failing easy, i.e. NMCs, with 8ML squads. By the end of turn 5 (of 6 1/2) my friend realized he didn't have enough left to make one more push up either hill and called it.

One-Log Bridge was fun. It went to the last turn with my Japanese holding onto one of the three victory locations. Lots of casualties. At game end I only had a 9-1 leader, a striped squad, a striped crew, and a half squad of my original seven squads. Poor CC rolls by the marines help my cause allowing me survive and then declare H-to-H on my half of the turn. My guys usually died, but they took squads with them. Oh yeah, crossing a deep stream also was tough for the marines. Recommended.
One Log Bridge tops my short list of PTO tourney size scenarios I'd recommend to anyone to try. It is always a real go-getter of a scen and illustrates well the capabilities of the Japanese in ASL. +1 there, highly recommended moldy oldy of a scenario.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played HS3 Tasimboko Raid. I believe this is the version that is the updated one; the other one being A97. The scenario was dominated by the dice. I played as the Japanese and mine were average to incredible. My friend's dice were the polar opposite. He couldn't pass a NMC with 8 ML marines if his life depended on it. His dice were so bad (how bad were they?), they were so bad that on his first roll from his fighter he rolled boxcars. I've never seen an aircraft malfunction its guns before. Anyway, that was just an example. It's a testament to my friend's tenacity that he willed himself to continue. He'd get thrown back, regroup, and get thrown back again. Even though things went horribly for the marines today, they did manage to take about a third of the huts. My buddy called it when he failed a CC at 2-1 odds with a -1 leader and I subsequently rolled snakes. Truly awful. I think with average dice for both sides, the marines should win. They have an almost 2 to 1 advantage in squads, plentiful leadership, good support weapons, and lots of time. Even though it didn't work out this time, I think this scenario is worth a play as there is ample opportunity for maneuver and strike/counterstrike for both sides. I haven't seen this happen much in the PTO scenarios we've been playing lately. Recommended for either side.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just played Sporck's Eleven against Allen King. I was initially concerned about being able to stop all those Russian tanks, but a very hot shooting display put that worry to rest. The halftracks were deadly with their HEAT, and the 75Ls and a PSK chipped in as well. After 3 turns, only 3 of the original 12 tanks were still functional, and Allen threw in the towel. Not sure a lot can be learned from this playing.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bunker Bash BFP-113 Poland, '39, Germans attack Polish fortified line with the help of halftrack mounted 88s. I organized my Poles into 4 separate, and somewhat mutually supporting forts. German attack came from the north end. My opponent was able to make plenty of OBA SMOKE, but I was able to shoot through it occasionally. After several tries, the Germans were able to take 1.5 of my forts- Polish win. But, the Poles were at the point of collapse. One more turn and the Germans would have prevailed.

Good scenario.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I just played Sporck's Eleven against Allen King. I was initially concerned about being able to stop all those Russian tanks, but a very hot shooting display put that worry to rest. The halftracks were deadly with their HEAT, and the 75Ls and a PSK chipped in as well. After 3 turns, only 3 of the original 12 tanks were still functional, and Allen threw in the towel. Not sure a lot can be learned from this playing.
Well, I would have to question whether the Russian player had a solid plan of attack......this usually plays out very tense and with every tank kill a sigh of relief for the German player.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J150 The Sangshak Redemption Five turn 1944 "Attack/counter attack" scenario pitting Indian paratroopers vs IJA infantry. The Indians start with a meager 3.5 x 2nd line squads, an AT gun and a 76 MTR, and a bunch of dummies. They have a limited setup area and have to fend off the IJA who have to control a single hex stone church at some point to unlock their VC conditions of controlling at least two buildings (all other buildings are huts) within three hexes of the church. The Indians get a beefy reinforcement group of Ghurkas including 648s and a 9-2 that come in Turn 2. The IJA also get some reinforcements on Turn 3.

The IJA (me) set up right on top of the VC area. I put down smoke/wp from knee mortars on the hill on suspected enemy units in future VC huts and followed up with a small Banzai charge taking one hut and drawing fire which allowed the majority of my infantry to move up unabated. The Indian MTR came out forcing me out of a jungle hex I had planned to use a Rally point. Turn 2 saw my right flanking force coming through the Kunai reveal the 57L AT gun which was hunkered down in bamboo. It went on a ROF tear and killed my 9-0 but I surrounded it and broke the crew who were then eliminated for failure to rout. I got a sacrificial 447 across the road to occupy another VC hut to force the Ghurkas to waste time dealing with them. The Ghurkas came on in two forces with the majority coming from the west.

I was adjacent to the church at that start of my Turn 3 so I did another Banzai charge with the 10-1 and a couple of 447s to take the ground level. There was still an Indian HS in the steeple but he later broke on his Turn and was eliminated. The Indians hit the Daily Double twice getting two heroes and two battle hardened Ghurkas on HOB results. They linked a couple of kill stacks with those heroes and started getting some stripes and KIAs on me shooting through the huts but they did't take back any VC buildings. I brought my reinforcements up towards my rear units,

On Turn 4 I started moving the mortar squads on the hill towards my right flank to get an eye on an Indian squad in the overlay VC building across the road from the church and got units adjacent including the 9-0 from my reinforcements. I knew of the squad in the VC hut and there was probably at least a concealed HS surrounded by dummies. One of the Ghurka kill stacks finally KIAd my lone 447 to retake the VC hut he was occupying but most of their moving units could't find infantry smoke and got pinned or broken trying to assault the church. They did get one squad adjacent to the church and managed to whittle one of my squads in the church down to a broken HS forcing it and the 10-1 to rout to the steeple. The Indian squad advanced in to the church where we both whiffed CC and ended up in melee.

My last Turn caught my opponent off guard with a Banzai charge initiated by the mortar squads on the hill against the squad in the overlay VC hut. I lost one squad to the HS that was there but both it and the squad in the VC hut were taken out. I now had 3 buildings again and the Indians were out of position to retake the overlay hut. In addition, the broken HS in the steeple went berserk on his Rally attempt and joined the downstairs melee tipping the melee odds in my favor. The Indians responded cold bloodily by pumping DF into the melee to no effect but the melee ended in mutually assured destruction. The 10-1 was left alone in the steeple but still maintained control of the building. The Indian's last turn saw them dodging a lot of PBF and resid and they actually got units into the church and 1.5 squads into the VC hut behind the church where I had a concealed squad. We did that CC first and I won the ambush and wiped them out. That was it. IJA victory holding two VC huts across the road from each other.

Last edited:

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played 163 Stopped Cold. Fun scenario. As the Finns, I set up my trenches in two groups near row Z; one a little east of the center of board 5 and one close to where the boards meet. I thought my friend might try a push over the frozen river but he concentrated his forces to the east. Turn 1 started great for me when he rolled his FT tank onto one of the AT mines I put in front of the bunker. One factor only, I rolled a one, and then snake eyes. After that dramatic start, the game proceeded with the usual ups and downs of ASL. The Russians slowly crept up, but I made enough shots to break a lot of them; admittedly, not too hard against 6ML squads. Tons of disrupted guys littered the battlefield as fire lanes across open ground wreaked havoc on the advancing conscripts. Three tanks exited - he decided to bug out when I got a very lucky MOL kill vs a moving tank and nearly got another with a DC - but the Russian infantry was in disarray and scattered everywhere. We stopped after Russian turn 5. We both thought it was fun but tough on the Russians. Pretty fast scenario and worth a try.

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played 163 Stopped Cold. Fun scenario. As the Finns, I set up my trenches in two groups near row Z; one a little east of the center of board 5 and one close to where the boards meet. I thought my friend might try a push over the frozen river but he concentrated his forces to the east. Turn 1 started great for me when he rolled his FT tank onto one of the AT mines I put in front of the bunker. One factor only, I rolled a one, and then snake eyes. After that dramatic start, the game proceeded with the usual ups and downs of ASL. The Russians slowly crept up, but I made enough shots to break a lot of them; admittedly, not too hard against 6ML squads. Tons of disrupted guys littered the battlefield as fire lanes across open ground wreaked havoc on the advancing conscripts. Three tanks exited - he decided to bug out when I got a very lucky MOL kill vs a moving tank and nearly got another with a DC - but the Russian infantry was in disarray and scattered everywhere. We stopped after Russian turn 5. We both thought it was fun but tough on the Russians. Pretty fast scenario and worth a try.
great scenario !!! A must play from the Hakkaa Paale, I think.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any sexy new PTO scenarios that play quickly? Buddy wants to dabble in that again, but we have time constraints on getting our VASL session done, so not too many zany SSR's and such.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Any sexy new PTO scenarios that play quickly? Buddy wants to dabble in that again, but we have time constraints on getting our VASL session done, so not too many zany SSR's and such.
FrF91 Moonlight Drive......but as the title suggests, it is Night. Which in itself is where VASL "shines" in some ways....

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Hill 367 Tussle in Teutonic Terror 2, 1944 Tarnipol. Good assault scenario for repeated solo play. One map panel, 6 turns, Soviets definitely need that 1-4-9 Hero.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I would have to question whether the Russian player had a solid plan of attack......this usually plays out very tense and with every tank kill a sigh of relief for the German player.
I'm not so sure. It probably wasn't an ideal attack, but I was really rolling well. His attack came in on the far flank, with frontal facings toward the hilltop (where my 75L was lurking), but that exposed a side facing to one of my SPWs. The resultant hit got a kill. He pushed one T-70 far forward, cresting that first hill gap, but it soon became victim to the other 75L on that side that was watching that very spot. His first wave of tanks basically got caught in a kind of crossfire, with the 75Ls each generating a kill, and the SPWs each getting a couple kills. Even against frontal facing, the dice were on my side. That first wave of tanks was almost completely wiped out. The second wave did better, but a couple more kills, including a PSK, made it more and more desperate. But I rolled plenty of rate, and plenty of low kill rolls.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm not so sure. It probably wasn't an ideal attack, but I was really rolling well. His attack came in on the far flank, with frontal facings toward the hilltop (where my 75L was lurking), but that exposed a side facing to one of my SPWs. The resultant hit got a kill. He pushed one T-70 far forward, cresting that first hill gap, but it soon became victim to the other 75L on that side that was watching that very spot. His first wave of tanks basically got caught in a kind of crossfire, with the 75Ls each generating a kill, and the SPWs each getting a couple kills. Even against frontal facing, the dice were on my side. That first wave of tanks was almost completely wiped out. The second wave did better, but a couple more kills, including a PSK, made it more and more desperate. But I rolled plenty of rate, and plenty of low kill rolls.
Was his infantry coming in as Riders and dying with their AFV? It sounds to me like a very upfront German setup - which can work, but is very risky if the Russian does not use Riders and deploys his infantry against the forward tanks.

Plenty of rate and plenty of low kill rolls.....yes that does sound like the best way to deal with those Commie tanks.......

BTW: Epic story I heard at ASLOK of someone who Malfunctioned BOTH AT guns on the first shots and still won as the German.......that was awesome to hear.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was his infantry coming in as Riders and dying with their AFV? It sounds to me like a very upfront German setup - which can work, but is very risky if the Russian does not use Riders and deploys his infantry against the forward tanks.

Plenty of rate and plenty of low kill rolls.....yes that does sound like the best way to deal with those Commie tanks.......

BTW: Epic story I heard at ASLOK of someone who Malfunctioned BOTH AT guns on the first shots and still won as the German.......that was awesome to hear.

Some entered as riders and some did not. I don't think any got killed when the tanks were destroyed, though, as they generally got off as quickly as they could once they realized what was up. I don't think I had an up-front defense, really. The 75L on the hill is a no-brainer. The other 75L was covering a gap on the low hill on the right flank. One SPW was on the far right flank hoping to get a couple of kills before dying, and it did just that. Low rolling makes any plan look smarter of course.