So what scenarios have you played Recently?

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played WO28, Dean's Defiance, on Monday, 6-18-18.

The three pronged North Korean attack, combined with the infiltrators, was too much for the 2nd line US troops suffering from ammunition shortage. Half of the North Korean infantry and armor entered from the north. On turn 2 one tank and 6 squads and a tank entered from the west, then on turn 3 the remainder entered from the east. The US forces were caught in a vice and chewed up. Al conceded on turn 4.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
After a bit of a break but in anticipation of the Texas Team Tournament next week I played Dew of Death [WO24] on the deluxe boards. I had the hoard of Chinese on defense and as noted in some other posts, it is tough for the Japanese to go over the hills. Dave Stephens split his forces with his WP landing in the middle of my trench line which broke two of my three leaders (one later dying by sniper). In revenge I wounded his turn one leader as the IJA starts only with one.

We played until the top of turn six when Dave realized he could only get 15 of the 20 VP points off due to a (great) wall of broken Chinese blocking his way. I held tough until turn four when the Chinese disintegrated leaving only four squads and a Chinese hero to hold the line. Most of my Chinese had to retreat/rout through the WP thus pretty much dooming them as Dave had collapsed both of my flanks leaving no other option.

Interesting scenario.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My German butt that walked into all these boresighted hexes etc
I once played this and had horrific luck with my German AFV, lost all of them in about 2.5 Turns. Then I just charged headlong with the infantry.....and got extremely close to a win.

Good scenario, although replay value a bit limited.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I once played this and had horrific luck with my German AFV, lost all of them in about 2.5 Turns. Then I just charged headlong with the infantry.....and got extremely close to a win.

Good scenario, although replay value a bit limited.
Hahaha .. my (legendary) Panthers couldn't hit the side of a barn! Gonna have to return them to the dealership either way.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
SP201 Doppleganger is an interesting scenario. unique fight as my turncoat Ukrainian ss troops (using blue counters) attack their former ss comrades (using black counters) played by Sven in Melin, France.

the black ss setup in the board 24 village and the Ukrainians have the option of setting up surrounding the village on three sides. the VC's are CVP's with 24S5 building worth 6VP

there are some prisoners held by the black ss and they get some reinforcements. the Ukrainians are stealthy, have a good number of SW (inc a HMG), and good leaders (inc 10-2)

my Ukrainians setup pretty heavy to the front on board 24 and inched forward to blast away at the black ss in the VC building. a few dummies and a couple MMC's were on the right and several MMC's and SW on the left

for all the firepower poured into the VC building the less bad (blue) ss could not take it from the really bad (black) ss. however, the other flanks of blue ss were able to slowly push forward and totally surround the black ss survivors huddled in the VC building.

the stealthy Ukrainians went into CC at every opportunity to good effect and were able to capture several MMC's including the at start prisoners. the SAN was hot for both sides. the Ukrainian HMG was a rate getting machine, reeking havoc paired with the 10-2. the black ss got a hero and a couple fanatic MMC's

the Ukrainians won by quite a wide margin in spite of the fact that the black ss held onto the 6 CVP building

intersting scenario, some unique features. I'd play it again as either side

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having owned Code of Bushido and Gung Ho since they first came out, it only took 30 or so years to finally play a scenario that had caves. My friend and I had also never played one with an amphibious landing. Well, we gave it out best shot by playing AH3 Grabbing Gavutu (with errata). I think we played it mostly correct but we had to keep pouring through the rules. This one's not for the faint of heart. In addition to the aforementioned caves and amphibious landing, there's air support and amphibious assault rules to pour over as well. I know this is nothing new to most of you veterans out there; I just point this out to some of the newer players - there is A LOT to digest! It ended up as a Japanese win as my friend had a heck of a time establishing a solid beachhead. The conscripts I had manning the huts put up a hell of a fight and took out some strong troops in CC. Definitely fun, but I felt sometimes we were looking at the rules more than playing the scenario. We were going to try AH4 Tanambogo Nightmare next but throwing in night rules in addition to all this madness is maybe a bit too much. We're skipping it and going on to AH5 Take Two instead. Feeling a bit more comfortable with the applicable rules sections now, it should (we hope) go a bit smoother.

Last edited:

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
J192 Taking Some FlaK seems pretty tough on the 'ol Finns. at least I got to checkout TK44's new fortress of solitude. nice to add good players and great guys to the Maine ASL pool

Tim's ss stomped my Finns quite soundly. he went in CC at every opportunity. stealthy nor concealed helped the Finn cause. coupled with withering ss firepower (inc meat-chopper Flak wagon), he just smashed the Finns. I conceded start turn five

ROAR has this one 10-4 ss

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pierce and I recently finished TAC 3: Uneasy Withdrawal with Pierce's Australians keeping my Japanese at arm's length long enough for the victory.

AAR at my blog:

https://cardboardwarrior.blog/

Thanks for reading
Roy
By sheer coincidence, my friend and I have this one scheduled a few weeks from now. I'll be the Japanese so it looks like I better be on my toes.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J192 Taking Some FlaK seems pretty tough on the 'ol Finns. at least I got to checkout TK44's new fortress of solitude. nice to add good players and great guys to the Maine ASL pool

Tim's ss stomped my Finns quite soundly. he went in CC at every opportunity. stealthy nor concealed helped the Finn cause. coupled with withering ss firepower (inc meat-chopper Flak wagon), he just smashed the Finns. I conceded start turn five

ROAR has this one 10-4 ss
Agreed. I played Sven-Hammah as the SS and did a fallback defense, with the final defense line centered on the meat-choppah. It lived up to its name.

Tom

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By sheer coincidence, my friend and I have this one scheduled a few weeks from now. I'll be the Japanese so it looks like I better be on my toes.
Excellent. I look forward to your report. good luck!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Pierce and I recently finished TAC 3: Uneasy Withdrawal with Pierce's Australians keeping my Japanese at arm's length long enough for the victory.

AAR at my blog:

https://cardboardwarrior.blog/

Thanks for reading
Roy
That was my first published scenario in Tactiques.
I think that it earns its title...

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Foote-ing the Bill SP 68 Libyan Desert, 1942. The Axis attack came along board 27, with the M13/40s screening the Panzers to begin with. The Axis took several body blows early, but made it to the dier and hillock on 27 for cover, then began to pick off English armour. Most of my Brits were set up on the dier on 26. This came down to the last turn, and much had to go right for the Axis. So it did! My Matildas could not hit anything. The a CH by a Pz3 on a Matilda ended it. Nice DTO matchup.

Okmed

ASL/SK Scout
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two playings of S60 Operation NIWI: It's all-infantry, with the Chasseurs Ardennais attacking Grossdeutschland, May 1940. The first time the Belgians got stuffed, and the second time the Belgians got close but still failed. This is an ASLSK scenario I'd like to try with the full rules, too, though that might tip balance toward the Germans. Give the Germans no more than three "?" counters and SAN = 3. This one's likely playable twice in the time an average scenario takes.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played WO28 Deans Defiance as the Russians against Randy's Americans. First thing I have to say is really read that VC, it can really fool you if you do not pay alot of attention to it. Basically the Russians have to exit 60VP's, for every building the Americans still hold, the VP's is increased by 2 IE if the Americans still hold 4 buildings for example, the Russians will need to exit 68VP's. So losing any T-34's will probably doom the Russian attack. In our game, we played 5 turns, but with the loss of two t-34's and a good chunk of infantry, I did not have the forces to exit off map. I think with this scenario, the Russians will need to keep their T-34's out of harms way and just let the infantry try and clear out the buildings. Not an easy task due to a 10-3 directing fire from the large factory building (though my sniper did wing him but did not kill him). I'd say it is very pro American due to the high VP requirment for the Russians to exit. I think the designer perhaps should have gone the other way with the VC, for every building captured by the Russians reduces the VC requirment by 2, this way you can actually get the T-34's into battle. Ok scenario but probably needed a bit more TLC in the playtest and design stages.
I think I'm going to set this up and play it. Al played this against Tom K. and Al says it is very pro North Korean. When 2 good players are diametrically opposed about the balance of a scenario that always peaks my interest :)

I HATE the way the VC is written. Why say "The NK exit VP is *reduced* by 2 for every multi-hex building controlled by the Americans"? I think stating it is *increased* makes far more sense. Until I saw this thread I would have played it that NK had to exit less if they did not control the buildings--even though that does not make much sense.......... This is a prime example of a poorly worded VC IMHO.

Also, if I'm reading this right (and apparently my reading comprehension is poor) the NK can choose to hold off 13 squads and all 4 T-34s and enter them on Turn 3 if they so choose anywhere along east or west edge. This means the USA must guard the corner hexrow on both sides of board i. Otherwise the NK can make their brief 1 hex appearance and then exit the bulk of their forces. Add in the the SSR4 squads and there is your exit VP with some to spare.

I'm not sure about this one but what the hell, I'll be playing ASL!