So what scenarios have you played Recently?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So, what in real life would be an example of an FCM36 trying to ESB? Going from 5 mph to 6 mph? Throws a track trying to keep up with the infantry?

Trying to visualize...... :rolleyes::happy::rofl::facepalm:
Probably it would mean skipping dallying with the Mademoiselles along the road. :love:

von Marwitz

Reactions: Roy

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Petes designs are hit or miss, sometimes he does a few good ones, sometime he does alot bad ones. I find trying to bring myself to play his designs kind of tough due to the uncertainty if they are balanced or not.

Today we played J156 Mageret Mixer, and I was defeated as the American. TBH, I thought my attack plan was pretty solid, however the luck of the dice certainly played a large role in the outcome. (losing my M4/105 Sherman on the first German TH shot of The game didn't help my cause either). The SSR requiring a pre-movement NTC for the majority American squad type virtually ensured that my attack would be an uncoordinated, piece meal mess for the duration of the game. Also, I underestimated my opponent's willingness to fire Panzerfausts and 'schrecks from within buildings. Pretty bold moves and his dice spared his panzerjagers from adverse desperation/backblast results.

I honestly have no idea as to how the American player can win this scenario without incredibly good luck or an incompetent German set up.
I didn't enjoy this one in the slightest.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Seem to be getting plenty of games in to start this year, finished up SP43 Deadeye Smoyer recently.

Short sharp scenario with a low counter and turn count with my American's attacking 2nd line and conscript Germans and a Panther in '45

Worth a playing as it will be played out in an evening, full details on the blog

Ian

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seem to be getting plenty of games in to start this year, finished up SP43 Deadeye Smoyer recently.

Short sharp scenario with a low counter and turn count with my American's attacking 2nd line and conscript Germans and a Panther in '45

Worth a playing as it will be played out in an evening, full details on the blog

Ian
Neat scenario. Did you play it using Interrogation (yes, optional I know)?

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States

Ian
Read your blog. Nice documentation of your ASL "life." This scenario can be over quite quickly as a match I lost against Simon Strevens way back when left an indelible memory.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Red Tears Shed on Gray FrF89 Nice battle of the not so talented. I think the single best thing I did the whole game was to advance a HIP 4-2-6 into CC with the Romanians best leader, 2 3-4-7s, and an MMG. This kept them busy for several turns, and cost the Romanians a squad and a half before the pesky factory workers were dispatched. I wasn't able to kill a single Romanian tank all game. They controlled 10 factory hexes at the end of the game, but I was able to re-take 2, and destroy a broken squad with a captured DC to boot. Good game.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Raid on Litoranea LC WCR 6 Daylight attack by the 1st SSF. My attack went well at first. The outpost at Y9 was taken, and then the big farmhouse at P6. But, 4S2 was a problem. Half the Italians, and one HG squad held out. For the last turn, and a 1/2 all that was left was the 4-6-8 and a hero. They withstood fire from 2 Shermans, and several 6-6-8 squads. On the last turn melee, HtH, I eliminated them, but was wiped out in turn. Axis victory. Good scenario.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm playing GWASL #1 Save the Guns for the 1st Edition of GWASL I Tankschrecken from critical Hit! Playing it solo. I'm pleasantly surprised how well this is playing and the subtle difference to make WWI work with ASL.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today we played J156 Mageret Mixer, and I was defeated as the American. TBH, I thought my attack plan was pretty solid, however the luck of the dice certainly played a large role in the outcome. (losing my M4/105 Sherman on the first German TH shot of The game didn't help my cause either). The SSR requiring a pre-movement NTC for the majority American squad type virtually ensured that my attack would be an uncoordinated, piece meal mess for the duration of the game. Also, I underestimated my opponent's willingness to fire Panzerfausts and 'schrecks from within buildings. Pretty bold moves and his dice spared his panzerjagers from adverse desperation/backblast results.

I honestly have no idea as to how the American player can win this scenario without incredibly good luck or an incompetent German set up.
I didn't enjoy this one in the slightest.
Played this one a couple of times, ROAR has it 35-24 in favor of Amis.

I would agree with ROAR as eventually the "uncoordinated" Amis can exert enough firepower on the German VC building Alamo to shatter the defenders.

An Ami trick is to get a HS on as many German wrecks as possible along with a Baz or Sherman to blast the re-animated PIVJ while the German AFV is constrained by same hex Ami HS. I suggest a tourney/house rule that the wreck hexes cannot be occupied by an AMI unit when turn 3 re-animation occurs.

Scenario is somewhat unique, which is good IMHO.

Rich

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played VotG26 Bad Day for the Luftwaffe with my Germans winning on the last roll of the dice. Funky VCs forced a wild finish. An immobilized KV was the only thing preventing me from clearing a path from factory to the at start building. Perhaps unrealistically, or realistically (these were desperate men, after all), I ran pretty much everyone (except a squad as per victory condition) out of the Volga factories to jump the KV in CC. A few men broke, some 8 ML squads failed their PAATC - with -1 leaders! - but one assault engineer, -1 leader, a hero, and a squad made it in. The hero/assault engineer combo saved the day and eliminated the tank. The stukas did minimal damage. They entered on turn 1 and managed to take out one of my 8-3-8s but that was it. I chose men over machine and took mostly squads. No heavy weapons. I almost regretted not taking a FT when one of the T-34 threatened my at start area but one of my StuGs held it at bay. The dice were seriously hot for both sides today as I had at least 10 sniper rolls with a SAN of 3. Looking back, I think the Russians should push heavily for the factories. If he takes them, that forces the Germans to wrestle them back in order to have a chance to win. I'd recommend for either side - but pay attention to those victory conditions!

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
An Ami trick is to get a HS on as many German wrecks as possible along with a Baz or Sherman to blast the re-animated PIVJ while the German AFV is constrained by same hex Ami HS. I suggest a tourney/house rule that the wreck hexes cannot be occupied by an AMI unit when turn 3 re-animation occurs.
Such a rule was used in one tournament (i just don't remember which). With that, it's not a bad scenario.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
[ASL 212] First Bayonet Charge (or my 2018 pre-Winter Olympics) from KFW. Dave Stephens and I played this today and it was a great scenario with my KPA reinforcements on turn five turning the tide by holding on to the last two rear Level three hill hexes. I missed that I could have had a commissar by misreading that section of the rules thinking it had to be OB given "8+1." Nevertheless, I was able to rally most units after they lost their DM's. I did reduce a number of squads to conscripts and had three full squads captured. I suffered one bayonet charge against my mortar crew by a 9-1 and a 558 managing a KIA against the squad in subsequent defensive fire. The 9-1 alone entered my hex and the crew broke while FPF-ing. Terrain is tough with a lot of CX-ing. The falling snow ended quickly with the first wind change die roll and the wind changed direction to allow the UN to toss smoke ahead of their advancing troops.

Last edited:

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I personally like defensive challenges and will probably try this against the French. Any novices available? :)
Hey! I'm a novice who loves playing the French! (In fact, I'm not sure that they come any more novicey than me.) Maybe Friday before "Where the Iron Crosses Grow?" :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Finished ASL 82 For Honour Alone (and with it all of Croix de Guerre) this week. Lost it but had a blast.

Fascinating scenario from a couple levels. Huge scenario but with pretty simple VC. More shooting and less movement. A nice challenge.

I was the attacking Germans. My plan was to attack in 2 points, with the majority of my set up force coming from the board 16 grain field to the L6 building. My offboard forces were to enter around 19E1 and drive through the grain field to cut off the french infantry coming in T3.

The first three turns went very well. Some effective mortar fire and 37L fire shot up the forces in victory building O3. The french 9-2 went beserk and died gloriously charging across open ground for la République. By end of the German half of T3 I was feeling pretty good at putting pressure on both L6 and O3. Ominously both my 81* had lost their SMOKE.

And then it all went south. The french tanks proved to be shockingly effective. They slowed down my board 19 forces enough that my infantry couldn't really touch the on coming french infantry. Then, horror of horrors I boxcard the sighting TC as my air support was setting up a glorious strafing run of the coming French.

It all went south from there. The french tanks charged into the board 16 grain field, breaking my 9-2 and his kill stack. Other squads started to break too and with the tanks in the rear failures to rout occurred all over the place. I did manage to get 19O10 woods but my opponent had been able to reinforce the O3 building. By T7 murderous fire was coming from his reinforcements grouped around the L6 building and I called it.

Overall this was a fun fight. I recommend The air support is incredibly important. I think I had a real shot had I not rolled 12 on the TC. Without the air support the Germans just can't really touch the oncoming French. My opponent made the smart move and huddled them all around L6 - all 6 hexes around the building had at least a squad.

For the French huddling around L6 is a must do. As well using the tanks aggressively is very successfully. The Germans just don't have great responses, in particular if a sniper takes out one of the 37L as happened to me.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Finished ASL 82 For Honour Alone (and with it all of Croix de Guerre) this week. Lost it but had a blast...
Then, horror of horrors I boxcard the sighting TC as my air support was setting up a glorious strafing run of the coming French.
"Wo bleibt die Luftwaffe?" No wonder the Germans started breaking!

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wrapped up a playing of SP241 Esebeck’s Pursuit as the defending French against Jim Taylor’s attacking Germans. The VC is the Germans must clear two road segments (the road and adjacent hexes -- each running length-wise) of any GO French MMC at game end.

The French at-start forces are split into two defending groups one for each VC road segment. One group gets 2x25LL; the other 1x25LL. The French also get T1 reinforcements in the rear village area of 3xCarrier w/ trailers loaded with 6xhalf-squads which are absolutely key to the game. Also, on T2 marks the arrival of two lumbering Char B-1s.

The Germans get eight AFV: 4xPzIIA and 4xPz35, a dozen-plus 467/468s and the usual array of well-engineered German hardware and good leadership.

I put myself in the tanker’s seat of the German forces and realized that interdicting the incoming carriers should be priority one. Otherwise, if they all successfully deploy their troops into the “back buildings” concealed at the edge of the VC area, the German could be in trouble – likely running out of time.

Indeed, Jim sent several tanks north around the French left flank and was able to, in the first few turns, interdict and eliminate all three weak carriers with only one disgorging its two HS. One HS made it to a VC stone building only to finally get broken on a 16+5 later in the game. In both French positions, despite having a few good 25LL shots, I either missed, got no rate or bounced. The Char B-1s never could get much done that mattered being so awfully slow – one eventually falling victim to an optimally-placed DC. I was only able to eliminate one PzIIA on an MG shot. I knew early on that eliminating more tanks was key to raising the French odds for victory since clearing the French forward positions would take time and getting the German infantry to the rear VC area would be very difficult. Too, Jim opted to not use the OB-given motorcycles.

In the end, I needed a Minnesota Miracle and since we were fighting in France, it simply wasn’t meant to be. Jim played great and my inability knock out more than one of the eight German AFV, get the carrier HSs out of their carriers or pass an MC that mattered meant certain doom in this scenario. I did try to make it a little interesting in my last move, but one 457 pinned on its “Jim Brown dash” and the other 237 I think broke in final fire from one of five tanks sitting on the VC area.

All in all, a wonderful, swirling scenario we both heartily recommend. It forces a lot of decisions for both sides.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Human Bullets ASL 204 Almost 3 scenarios in one. The ROK group on 24 getting mauled by the much larger NK infantry force. The ambush on 82, and then the remnants of both side trying to exit or prevent the North Koreans from exiting. The NK armored column, (convoy in ASL terms), advanced slowly, in the hopes of getting some support from their infantry. But it was not to be. Tanks are truly helpless in steep hills. One T-34/85 exited, the rest, shiny new counters all, were destroyed. The ROK force on 24 was reduced to one HS, but bought time for the ROK force on the hill. The ROKs on 82 then had to scramble to intercept the Northerners as they just needed to exit 7 more VP. Now an all infantry hill battle. In the end, the ROKs held, only one NK squad exited.

Nice scenario

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Walk the Walk [OS-9] Picked this module up at W.O. and am glad I did. I Played this historical scenario against my usual opponent (Dave Stephens) and both of us felt we could have set up better. I won as the German attackers. Helped by no rain in the first turn I got some smoke down, had a couple of good sniper attacks and moved forward without any casualties. Dave should have had some of his tanks in buildings but kept them behind the buildings limiting his opportunity to shoot. I used no leaders with the HMG's on the hill and, of course, they mostly cowered with little effect on the defenders. My village foothold group of four counters cleared out most of the Americans at that end of the villiage with some help from tanks across the stream. Key to the German victory was landing a mortar hit and MC on the hex with the HIP spotter, the 8-1 and a crew with the HMG. The spotter ended up ELR'ed and wounded, the others merely broken. There would be no 100mm ART landing on the attacking Germans throughout the game. We both agreed - do not put a spotter (HIP or otherwise) in a fat target hex.

Reactions: Roy

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ASL9 To The Square
This truly is a game of inches. I was playing "TO THE SQUARE" and as Soviet I was on the verge of breaking through. I had a half squad surrounded in a building (on three sides) and was going to pounce on him in Close Combat. He was marked "first fire" and had a 447 to contend with.
Out of desperation, my opponent, Jeff, decided to shoot anyway: 2+3. He rolls snakes (2nd consecutive!) which means PTC for me. Which I fail. (Obvs). So, in his prep fire phase, the still-free half squad finds a P Faust and rolls an 8, hitting a T 34/85 and lighting it on fire. I also bogged a T 34/85 going through wire. These two events together were enough to cause me enough pause
If he misses that PTC, my T 34/85 had a pretty clear shot (even with the bog) to the board edge, along with my three other tanks, for 28 out of 30 required exit VPs. I needed to bring a squad with me (easily done) for the win. The rest of my infantry would simply keep the rest of his infantry at bay and allow me to escape (post game, he revealed his hidden AT Guns, and they would have needed pretty good shots just to hit, given their CA, etc).
Instead, I needed to bring those accompanying infantry with me, and given the ground covered by his leaders (and the hero I created for him), it was a tall order indeed. As I said, had this been a tournament, I would have carried on. But we decided to end it there and we're off to do our next one, "The Globus Raid" from "Partisan!"