So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today we played AP127. 'The First Virtue'. Free French colonial troops vs Hermann Goring Div. troops on Elba island. The French attackers are lightly armed, however the German defenders are restricted by hilltop setup requirements. I managed to win as the French by only 2 exit VP! The dice were kind to me today as my flamethrowers never ran out of juice and I managed to capture and use the Pak 38 relatively effectively against it's former owners for at least 3 turns without malf.
The scenario seemed to be well balanced and was a refreshing break from our urban slugfest in the Rees HASL.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lunch in Luga ASL AP124 Nice medium sized river crossing scenario on the new river board. (The new hill board, also from the new AP, is also used in this scenario, but not too much.) The SS went after the south and middle bridge. I set a DC on the middle bridge, but it DID NOT destroy a single span! The SS got across on both bridges, but took heavy losses in the process. This was in spite of lots of SMOKE from the OBA. Once over, they tore up the Soviets, but it was too late to get in enough buildings, and get enough CVP/exit/LVP.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Grenadier 2017 Having attended the very first Grenadier tournament, this tournament and venue is usually my first choice for any international venture. As always I enjoyed the food, games and players and went 5-3. Unfortunately two of losses, both close, were at the start of the main tournament but I soldiered on for the rest of the weekend.

Games played:
Initial Skirmish YASL #2 (lost in a friendly game)
Hill 731 DB046 (won as part of the Italian mini)
The Art if Dying J130 (won as part of the Italian mini)
Tod's Last Stand SP22 (lost - main tournament)
Heart of Wilderness WO12 (lost - main tournament)
Snova Snare SP263 (won - main tournament)
Old Friends J178 (won - main tournament)
11th Company Counterattack (won - main tournament)

High point was a close game of Old Friends where the CVP cap for both sides was a few strength points of being reached on the last turn. My opponent brought up his leader led Panther on his last turn to face off against a large 105mm armed Sherman. To save the game I got smoke on the Panther and intensive fire WP in front of it. That blinded the Panther and allowed me to push the Germans over the CVP cap elsewhere.

Great and somewhat unique tournament given the venue and the nationality mix of players.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Haven't played much lately, but got in a FTF game at our monthly Twin Cities gaming group meeting. Played SP245 Matira's Secret, a late-war tourney scenario featuring attackers sporting a hopped-up 90LL M26 Pershing, one Sherman, a couple HTs and 10 squads an FT and a 10-2. Germans had a King Tiger, 10 largely 2nd line squads, an HMG, MMG, Psk and a 9-2. It was only 4.5 turns, but certainly enough time to get the job done - clear two of three VC buildings of any GO MMC. As the defending Germans my dice were extremely hot with the HMG/248/9-2 combo really dealing out the punishment and lots of rate to boot. On the other hand, my opponent's dice were pretty stone cold awful. In T4, the Americans the Americans called off the attack leaving the town to the Germans.

A fun scenario that didn't see justice with the lopsided dice. We both agreed the Americans could certainly walk away with a win and saw this as a balanced scenario, now 9-6 in favor of the Germans on ROAR. It was good to knock off the rust with a fun opponent and scenario on a low-key Saturday in MN (snow on the ground, too.).

Last edited:

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played ASL 28 Ambush! from Partisan! at our game day yesterday. I lost as the Bulgarians. By the time I figured out the tactic of moving across the fields spread out and using multi-location fire groups to blast the partisans...it was too late to get a win. Good classic scenario.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played an odd little scenario OA3 Waiting for Fredendall winning as the attacking Germans. I've been on bit of a winning streak in this Operation Torch mini campaign my friend and I are playing but according to ROAR, the favored side has won them all except one that is now even. This one is not even. Though it has only a very limited amount of recorded playings, five for the Out of the Attic version and one from its previous publication, the British have never won. The set up is funky and I had to ask some questions about it on the ASL Rules and Errata section of this forum. To win, the Germans must pretty much eliminate the entire British force (no unbroken MMCs on board at game's end). There is a provision for the Brits to prevent the Germans from winning this way by exiting 5 VP off any board edge, but I see no way this is even possible. I think the Brits need to use a reverse slope defense and hope for the best. My opponent tried a partial one with some half squads manning the heights. They paid for it. My men crept up, the MTR halftracks shelled what they could, and by the end of turn 5 (of 7) there was only one fanatic British squad left so my friend called it. Even so, at one point half of my 16 squads were broken so it wasn't a cakewalk. I just couldn't pass a MC today. My friend on the other hand, went crazy with his MCs. He had two fanatics, two berserkers, and three (!) heroes - this with only 10 squads. That generated only one sniper for me. When you roll like that and still lose, that says something about the scenario.

Some problems the British face are being surrounded, of course, but also limited places to rout to. I was going to use my halftracks for smoke but broken men ended up routing to locations I had a LOS to so I shelled them. I normally don't like firing at broken squads other than to keep them under DM but the VCs forced me to. I'd give this a slight recommend for the Germans, but that's more of a reflection of my dislike of attacking reverse slope defenses. My friend recommends it for the British, but I think that's because of the incredible luck he had today. He lost, but he sure had fun until it was over. Objectively, I'd say not recommended for the British.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I played J187 IN DEADLY COMBAT. We played using the Russian balance, which removed the German ART gun. I took the KV option to have some ability to lock the fire of defending infantry. Magnus did not take the StuG option. I had better dice than Magnus in the early stages. The 37L AT guns went down without inflicting damage. After three turns, the Russians had two VC buildings and were certain to obtain two more in one more turn. The Russians were in a position to interdict any reinforcements heading for the fifth building, so we called it.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Over the weekend, Sebastiano and I played BFP 95 Obian Highway. As the attacking Germans, I moved quickly to try and secure a base from which to attack the village center, quickly removing most of his dummies with the AFVs in bypass. He had one HS in a building up North that managed to immobilize the only AFV I had up there, which hurt my late game greatly.

In the end, it was a brawl at the crossroads. That damned armored cupola evaded all of my shots (not a single turret hit for me!), and survived a CC attack near the end as well. I think I fragged one of his tanks, and the reset were immobilized adjacent to the southern VC building, which made life difficult for my attacking southern forces.

He had some great shots in the final turn that broken an entire stack, then picked off the lone squad I had in position to advance into the southern VC hex filled with his broken troops.

A great scenario that came down to the wire, with devastation everywhere. I did manage to use both DCs to good effect, but still feel that my AFV game needs drastic improvement.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Over the weekend, Sebastiano and I played BFP 95 Obian Highway. As the attacking Germans, I moved quickly to try and secure a base from which to attack the village center, quickly removing most of his dummies with the AFVs in bypass. He had one HS in a building up North that managed to immobilize the only AFV I had up there, which hurt my late game greatly.

In the end, it was a brawl at the crossroads. That damned armored cupola evaded all of my shots (not a single turret hit for me!), and survived a CC attack near the end as well. I think I fragged one of his tanks, and the reset were immobilized adjacent to the southern VC building, which made life difficult for my attacking southern forces.

He had some great shots in the final turn that broken an entire stack, then picked off the lone squad I had in position to advance into the southern VC hex filled with his broken troops.

A great scenario that came down to the wire, with devastation everywhere. I did manage to use both DCs to good effect, but still feel that my AFV game needs drastic improvement.
One that just barely missed my top ten pick. Played it several times and had a blast always.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ambush on South Knob ASL AP 125 Or it could be called, "bamboo hill." US dash for the summit. One platoon stopped at J5 as a delay- they were wiped out. Two separate IJA rushes at the hill- Banzai! The IJA controlled all the hill hexes at one point, but never took the pillbox. American win. The 50mm MTR produced very little smoke. Fun scenario.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Haven't played much lately, but got in a FTF game at our monthly Twin Cities gaming group meeting. Played SP245 Matira's Secret, a late-war tourney scenario featuring attackers sporting a hopped-up 90LL M26 Pershing, one Sherman, a couple HTs and 10 squads an FT and a 10-2. Germans had a King Tiger, 10 largely 2nd line squads, an HMG, MMG, Psk and a 9-2. It was only 4.5 turns, but certainly enough time to get the job done - clear two of three VC buildings of any GO MMC. As the defending Germans my dice were extremely hot with the HMG/248/9-2 combo really dealing out the punishment and lots of rate to boot. On the other hand, my opponent's dice were pretty stone cold awful. In T4, the Americans the Americans called off the attack leaving the town to the Germans.

A fun scenario that didn't see justice with the lopsided dice. We both agreed the Americans could certainly walk away with a win and saw this as a balanced scenario, now 9-6 in favor of the Germans on ROAR. It was good to knock off the rust with a fun opponent and scenario on a low-key Saturday in MN (snow on the ground, too.).
I'm the luckless sap Houlie played Saturday. He actually beat me with the one-two punch of good luck *and* good play. I certainly did enjoy the scenario.

Last edited:

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played CH’s Gotterdamerung scenario 8 over 3 days. We were using the Uber monster map together with red russian counters. Tense game plenty of chrome and the map worked a treat.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm the luckless sap Houlie played Saturday. He actually beat me with the one-two punch of good luck *and* good play. I certainly did enjoy the scenario.
Sorry we haven't gotten over there lately, but form the sounds of it you've had a good match (always a blast and a happy challenge to play Houlie). BTW, belated congrats on your 2nd(?) place finish in Sioux City!

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got to play 5 scenarios at this past weekend's North Texas Shootout in Fort Worth.

CDN10 - Per l'onore d'Italia: I won as the Canadian after overcoming an early game 81* MTR and MMG ROF combination that wounded an 8-1 and eliminated 2.5 squads. I got into consecutive CCs in and around the central stone building that KIA'd 2 of the 3 Italian leaders and a couple squads. In turn 5 when the Italian 9-1 and squad with LMG broke and were surrounded and captured, the Italian left flank crumpled and my Canadians were able to freely move into the VC area.

J184 - Dayan to Meet You: A very close game that came down to the very last roll of the game in CC. My British had a 2:1 with a -1 Heroic DRM against the Vichy defenders, but alas I only rolled the '8' and CR'd the Vichy squad and was unable to gain control of the final VC building.

RPT74 - Saigon Shuffle: Another extremely close game that I lost as the British/French when I missed the final CC roll by 1 to clear the Japanese (again CR'd the squad) out of the 2 hex building. The Japanese squad was stout as it never did stripe, passing at least 4 MCs. In that final CCPh, I was able to clear the last of the Viet Minh out of the huts across the road from the Japanese controlled building, so that surviving Japanese half-squad won the game.

J161 - Riding to the Rescue: I tried to take the avenue that the Germans gave me as I went for the exit off the south edge by going around the west side where the German defense was the thinnest. I had moved a good portion of my force (10 or 11 VP, 9 EVP needed) in that direction using a hedge to block German LOS. But on his next MPh and Advance, the German was able to get his 9-1 and a squad with the MMG into a stone building to cut off my escape. The 9-1 and squad passed a 1MC during First Fire on an 8 flat shot from a Mk VIC that surprised my opponent as he did not see the LOS. He had me pretty well bottled up until that Mk VIC moved around behind the stone building and during the next fire phase rolled snakes on an 8 +3. The 9-1 and squad both broke on the 2MC. I was then able to surround the building and evoked No Quarter to eliminate them. That turned the game in my favor and I was able to get the EVP necessary to win.

O57.1 - Operation Bagration: This one was quite the slugfest. My German opponent set up forward and had his Pillbox within 2 hexes of my set up area. So I went for it and put my 628 with the FT in position to take the shot on the opening Prep Fire phase. Naturally I rolled an '11', eliminating the FT and not even forcing a PTC. The rest of that opening Prep Fire was equally ineffective, so the line of 447s had jump into the gully and emerge on the other side facing some intense d-fire. On my turn 1 MPh a T34/85 moved into position to gain ACQ on his Tiger outside of its CA. During his MPh the Tiger starts and I fire, scoring a hit and immobilizing the Tiger. The crew failed the TC even with the 9 morale and bailed out, surviving the T34's MGs and got under the Tiger. That crew never were able to reenter the Tiger as they were overwhelmed by Russian squads. In the end, I won as the German right flank broke and my Russian infantry swarmed through and back into the German rear taking enough buildings and fortifications to secure the win without having to assault the German fortified building location.

One weekend, 5 close games against 5 entertaining and enjoyable opponents. Who could ask for more?
Cheers!!
Bob

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Frf Belgian Tigers today twice with me losing as both the Germans and as the belgians when we switched sides. Very good scenario, though trying to thread the bridge crossing needle can be very dicey but I think I would play it again because it was a fun little action. Not top 10 of all time material but a good short action that can get played quickly. Nice Job Mr. Struff!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Ambush on the South Knob [AP125] My loss as the Japanese against David Stephens did not help ROAR pushing it to 5-0 Americans. I had the game won as almost all the U.S. were broken and off the hill. I stupidly forgot to fire smoke and realized I made a mistake as I rushed my 10-0 and three 447's forward and had to eat a two flat which with a roll of three killed my leader, striped two of the squads which later pinned along with the full strength squad on a one flat! They needed to reinforce the PB which I took in the same movement phase. I did not have enough strength to push the lone American squad off the back end of the hill failing twice to rally a broken Japanese half-squad. As the U.S. unit stood behind bamboo, all I could do was advance next to it with my squads which by rules thus pin. My only hope was the MMC which failed to rally as I could have probably blasted the American squad off the hill and advanced for the victory as that was the only squad he had to protect the hill short of a suicide charge on the last turn which might have succeeded given the debacle with my 10-0. I think the key is to bring six squads in from the south on turn two, not just the three that I did.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I recently finished J179 RESIGNATION SUPERMEN. My Germans pushed hard for the two point factory and sent a small force to keep the other Americans in place. It held longer than I'd hoped and I lost the StuG, but I got it. Reinforcements went mostly up the middle, except the tank which helped take the 2 point factory. It was a struggle to get into another factory, but several squads and the Pz4 took it on the last German turn. The remaining Americans could not take it back.