So what scenarios have you played Recently?

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Been terrible at posting AAR's on my blog of late but four new ones added this month.

WP #3 Off To The Crossroads from LC, Canadians have a lot to play with whilst my poor Fallschirmjager try to survive. Only three plays on ROAR possibly due to the amount the Canadians get and OBA always loose a few players. With this playing though the series is set with two wins for each side.

FB15 The Taking of Object 59 from Festung Budapest. Been playing the scenarios one by one since tis module came out. Just like almost all the others lots of fun and for me the best historical module released by AH/MMP. I have played this scenario twice now.

BFP 136 Boiling Kettle of Fire and Blood from Poland in Flames by BFP. I playtested this scenario and remember it has a great scenario hence going back to it. Our playing was not so great, all down to my poor attack. Still it was a lot of fun with plenty of early war armour trying to survive MG and ATR fire.

AP112 First Ally from Action Pack 12 Oktoberfest by MMP. Sticking with minor nations we then played this fairly small scenario, and infantry overrun helped seal a win, nice to get to use that rule every now and then.

Full write ups on my blog and a promise I will be keep my blog up to date

Ian

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Me and @shirlfactor completed RB1 One down, Two to Go last night. Not exactly completed but through the German turn 5 when my opponent had just had enough of this scenario. :D Pulled a red card on his OBA on his first try, malfd the radio on his next, x'd the radio off his board a couple turns later. Only got 3 Stukas through the first 4 turns, only two attacked. He got one hex of dispersed Smoke down in the entire scenario. Really tough on the Germans with no smoke. I had reduced his initial OB forces of 32 squads in half, some of those broken and had an estimated 35 squads on board with 8 more reinforcing in my half of turn 5. We both agreed it would have been pretty tough for him to get and hold the required 20 stone locations when we called it.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too bad he had such a rough time of it. I rate this as one of the better RB scenarios out of a bunch of very good ones. Having said that, been there and done that (with this scenario as well once).

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RB1 One down, Two to Go is super balance. It is also not for the faint of heart. The Germans have a very tough situation in trying to overcome a layered Russian defense, so expect bad things to happen, but once the Russians run out of tricks and the Germans start to gain upper levels and converge on the factories, then the Russians begin to crumble. It is not an easy scenario for the Germans but it is an exercise in trying to keep your own PMC from failing and maintaining pressure on the Russians.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RB1 One down, Two to Go is super balance. It is also not for the faint of heart. The Germans have a very tough situation in trying to overcome a layered Russian defense, so expect bad things to happen, but once the Russians run out of tricks and the Germans start to gain upper levels and converge on the factories, then the Russians begin to crumble. It is not an easy scenario for the Germans but it is an exercise in trying to keep your own PMC from failing and maintaining pressure on the Russians.
Agreed. Another piece of bad luck which affected the game was on the first turn MPh he waited until I had zero shots left and then he waltzed that 10-2 leader and a full stack of MG toting Germans down to N4 and tried to advance into N5. 8FP A-P mines went boom. 10-2 boxed the MC and wounded off the board. Everybody else broke. He had a ton of broken guys all over the board in the RtPh and really nowhere to rout in one turn. Not getting the first Stuka until turn 3 and not getting any smoke just let me sit up on the rooftops and blast away for a couple turns.

I also had that 76 INF in Fortified Level 1 of F11 and it did some major damage until I broke it.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Usually, the Germans will attack from the north west corner, lots of cover for the Germans to utilize. Attacking along a wide front might not be a good idea in a future playing of this scenario.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Usually, the Germans will attack from the north west corner, lots of cover for the Germans to utilize. Attacking along a wide front might not be a good idea in a future playing of this scenario.
Completely agree with everything Scott has said about this scenario. Played it once against Carl Nogueira and we had a superb game.

To me it this is by far the most fun RB scenario, as it gives both sides plenty of options and uses a good part of the map. Must play !

shirlfactor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Me and @shirlfactor completed RB1 One down, Two to Go last night. Not exactly completed but through the German turn 5 when my opponent had just had enough of this scenario. :D Pulled a red card on his OBA on his first try, malfd the radio on his next, x'd the radio off his board a couple turns later. Only got 3 Stukas through the first 4 turns, only two attacked. He got one hex of dispersed Smoke down in the entire scenario. Really tough on the Germans with no smoke. I had reduced his initial OB forces of 32 squads in half, some of those broken and had an estimated 35 squads on board with 8 more reinforcing in my half of turn 5. We both agreed it would have been pretty tough for him to get and hold the required 20 stone locations when we called it.

It was brutal lol

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was brutal lol
The talking heads are saying what I thought, the entry area was in the NW corner. I really never expected you to come down the middle, I was lucky to hold it off.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The talking heads are saying what I thought, the entry area was in the NW corner. I really never expected you to come down the middle, I was lucky to hold it off.
Adding another talking head to the mix, but like Peter said, excellent scenario. I came that way as the Germans (NW). The Arty did the same for me, no show. Fat Boy did supply many Stuka's though. In the end, I didn't get it done, but is was an excellent playing.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kettenkrad Blitz SP 251 Well, the Kettenkrads aren't in play for very long, just until the Germans can get to the cover of the woods before they start climbing the hills to get to the stone buildings. Things went very well for the Germans until the T-34s showed up. All the dirty tank tricks to keep your undergunned AFV alive did not help much. Two T-34 kills to 1 Pz3, and 5 Pz4 destroyed. The German's took one building but were never in danger to taking the second one. Seems rough on the Krauts.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played two scenarios over the long weekend and they brought out what I love and what frustrates me in ASL. The first was TAC2 Between the Hammer and the Anvil. I didn't expect much from this one. I was the Germans and I thought the Russians would just steamroll me. However, this playing had it all - HOBs, CCs, serious tactical decisions with each push of the counters, both sides entering and being thrown back from the victory building, great ebb and flow - everything you want in any scenario. I ended up holding on for the victory due mostly to one of my squads holding back the hordes with a crummy LMG fire lane and the 2 ELR for the Russians.

The second game, on the other hand, was a complete disaster! As the Germans in FrF79 Saving the Center absolutely nothing went right for me. On turn one a long range NMC resulted in me rolling 3(!) 12s and a 10. So my 8-0 leader ELR wounded, two squads ELR CRed, and one "just" broke. Now one could say, "How dumb to move a big stack like that," and I'd tend to agree. But I just didn't see the clear LOS my opponent saw. I thought that the armored assault I was doing was safe. Wrong! So, one shot, disaster. At the end of turn one, another 1/2 squad broke. Top of turn two and another NMC, this time on my 9-1, LMG, MMG, two squad overwatch group. The 9-1 passes, the other two squads break. So, midway through turn two 5 1/2 of my 10 squads (not counting the 4 conscript half squads that were just building place holders - although one forward one died in turn 1) were broken and 1) I hadn't even put so much of a scratch on the Russians, and 2) I had pretty much made no forward progress. The writing was on the wall so I apologized to my friend and conceded. All the damage done in this scenario was self-inflicted. I don't think I've ever diced myself like that! I don't know if the scenario was any good because I never even got started. Not bitter about how it went; just incredulous.

So, in one sitting, we went from one of the most enjoyable scenarios we've played in a while, to one ruined by bad dice. We always tell each other to play through the dice, but in the second one, I just couldn't. The funny thing is, the dice could have been the opposite in the two scenarios we played and I'd be saying how frustrated I was in Hammer and Anvil and how great Saving the Center was. That's ASL for you!

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
TAC2 (then called "Entre le marteau et l'enclume", that was way before translations were made) was one of the very first ASL scenarios I played about 25 years ago, while I was still learning the system with a friend - we were looking for scenarios that could be played using just chapters A and B, and nothing but the German and Russian OOBs. IIRC there was an "advanced" variant of it in a later issue of Tactiques, using things like Night and Ground Snow.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TAC2 (then called "Entre le marteau et l'enclume", that was way before translations were made) was one of the very first ASL scenarios I played about 25 years ago, while I was still learning the system with a friend - we were looking for scenarios that could be played using just chapters A and B, and nothing but the German and Russian OOBs. IIRC there was an "advanced" variant of it in a later issue of Tactiques, using things like Night and Ground Snow.
There is. TAC14. My friend and I considered playing it but decided to skip it because of the night rules. There also are more weather additions and skis. One other big change was that the Russians set up first and the Germans move first. We decided it wasn't worth the effort to play it again with all the extra chrome. Perhaps if it had the same forces on a different city board but wasn't a night scenario we might have tried it.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
AP86 Milling About is a really fun Fort PTO IJA v Gurkha/Colonial scenario. ROAR has like seventy-five playings and it is pretty evenly split

Interesting simultaneous (blind) setup and random dr SSR to determine the side that goes first. We diced for sides and i got the IJA and dr gave the Brits first movement. VC is IJA must have six or more VP than Brits and IJA get double exit VP. Neat SSR gives the IJA two Bermese squads and an 8-0 leader as guides that let units stacked with them move through jungle, Kunai, and brush at 1.5 MF

the IJA was super aggressive pushing forward for the exit but the Brits gave good grown. an IJA knee MTR went on a rate tear that got a KIA result that poor Steve A. yatzee-ed, taking out a leader and a Gurkha squad. hot IJA Sniper, a couple HtH CC wins, coupled with POW CVP the IJA got a hard fought win but did not get any units off the board

Milling About is a fun scenario with heaps of variability and plenty of re-play ability. i would play it again as either side

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I played the Germans in a tense game of FT63 Clear that Road! There were highs and lows, and in the end it came down to the last turn, last CC. I had to break a last partisan halfsquad. It survived a 8+1 and two 8 flat attacks and was only pinned, so I had to move into CC: A 4:1 attack, I needed to roll a 9 and only got a 10. So I lost, but it was really, really close.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL 87 Good Night Sweet Prince

Rick Carter and I played this one via VASL PBEM. I had the Germans and had a tough go at it. Difficult on the Germans, and Rick made his shots count.

A full account is located at my blog https://cardboardwarrior.blog/

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played U27 A Winter Melee and got an easy "win" as the Germans. Why the quotes? Well, it's pretty bad when your opponent rolls so many 11s that you start losing count after the twelfth or thirteenth one. It's pretty bad when when I had to break into my unpunched Festung Budapest box to get extra 3-2-8 half squads because so many paratroopers failed their landing TCs. It's pretty bad when three of the four wings land off target and four squads plus the 10-2 leader land well off board. You get the idea. It was a miserable day of dice for my friend. It was so bad, I'm surprised he continued as long as he did. I would have called it much earlier. The sad thing about this one is that we were really looking forward to playing it because we last played the COI version as kids. Despite the outcome, I'd recommend it for either side. There are so many possibilities for the Russians in the scenario and its always fun to defend building 3M2 with a 9-2/HMG/MMG combo (although I split the two up in this one) - but they were next to each other. It's amazing how that building just dominated everything in those early scenarios. Hopefully the dice cooperate in our next match.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played VotG27 Drama, the Park and Deadly Things from Journal 11 with Jim Aiken FtF at gameday yesterday. I played the Russians. I scored some big initial victories by immobilizing the StuG with the Armor Leader on the first turn a few hexes into my setup area, then getting the halftrack and Armored Car with ATRs in the next turn. My mines also did a little damage early. Unfortunately, I set my best leader, a 4-4-7, the MMG, the Hero and an ATR HIP up very close to his set up area. They were unable to do a whole lot and were easily overwhelmed by the Germans and died from FTR. Likewise, my AT gun which was expertly placed in a Fortified Level 1 building at the back of the board with LOS down the entire road, got only 4 shots off before malfing and then Xing out in the subsequent rally phase. Down to one leader and a couple LMGs, it took every trick in the book to get this scenario to the last turn, where I was eventually overwhelmed by the German FP. The scenario was a lot of fun and a real bloodbath on both sides.