So what scenarios have you played Recently?

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played an old classic last night T1 Gavin Take with @c600g and really got it handed to me. The game ended when my opponent playing as the attacking Americans rolled five straight IFT shots of 5 or less and every one of my troops failed their MC.
The interesting aspect to this game (to me) was that for the first three turns, my fire was mostly ineffective, and was concerned about exiting enough squads. Then, on Turn 4... *wham*! Sorry for the dicing, @clubby .

Alan

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished off A96 "In Rommel's Wake" recently. Another SL-reprint from Annual '96, it also features a chit draw by the defending French that determines game length and the defending forces. I think I would have done better with some more French and another turn. Though losing an armored car to the French sniper really hampered my options, as well as the number of VP available to get south of the river.

Full details on my blog.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished off Bloody Tired, DBOT3, with Steve Pleva. It was our second try at one of the Turnscrew scenarios. This one was also a very close game and very enjoyable. I had the Germans, as I like to defend and Steve the attacking Brits. This scenario has a very interesting mechanic that the British have to keep a close eye on, that mirrors their high level of fatigue in this fight. Steve of course kept a weather eye out for it and his Tommies never got tired. The way the mechanic works, is that If the British, when rolling for wind, have a DR that, when adding the turn number to the WC DR comes up to 13+, all CX British become TI for the Player Turn and all non-CX unbroken/GO become CX. It can be a big deal, but I do not recall Steve rolling high enough on the WC for it to matter.

In the event, my Germans came up three shy on the CVP cap to pull off the win. I got 30 of the necessary 33. So it was a tight game. Some highlights included a conscript going berserk to become a human roadblock in the late game. A Snake eyes sniper taking out his Wasp, when my Uber men snipers, due to my being to incautious with them in set up, were out of position or dead and unable to take it out. I had a conscript prisoner escape and take out a British guard Squad. He was taken out in his turn by reacting British.

What cost me the game, were two, seemingly small errors, but exactly the type of errors that will cost you a game against a guy like Steve. I mis-positioned my right flank sniper hoping to get a shot at his Wasp. I had him too exposed and when my crossfire ambush attempt over on the right flank failed, he was far too exposed and ended up eliminated. Also, I didn't make optimal use of my conscripts HtH attempt to generate enough CVP to put Steve over the top. In the event he rolled an 11, but by not using the optimal odds, I COULD have cost myself an opportunity for the win.

Now that may seem small, but it is exactly the case that minor miscalculations like that can cost you a game. As for the scenario, so far two Turnscrew scenarios and two absolute barn burners. Get in touch with Vic Provost over at the Dispatches from the Bunker and subscribe and be sure to ask for the Turnscrew edition to be included. You won't regret it. Good stuff!!!

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, those SSRs sound crazy Carl. You have to add two numbers together? Whoa, slow down there. ;) :D Sounds like a blast. I think me and @shirlfactor are going to tackle that CG once one of reads the rules. :D

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
after a long iatus I played two FTF games in single day: two times J 106 Marders not Martyrs against two different opponents and both times the Russians won easily.

It seems that the Germans have a difficult task, since the chances they have to win are linked to a good row of DR with the Marders and/or to an hazardous use of the Russian tanks.

In the first game my Marders were neutralized one by IFT fire coming from enemy 447, and the other by an enemy unit entering in CC.
it at least destroyed two Russian tanks before dying.

In the second game, me playing as Russian, the German lost one Marder by the mrt, and the other had a double stun result from my light infantry fire.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We played VotG7 Storming the Station today at Saturday game day. I took the defending Russians and the prez and VP ganged up on me as the Germans. :D Bloodbath. I thought I had a pretty decent setup, but my dice went absolutely ice cold. In the span of maybe 30 rolls, I shot no less than probably 10 times at 2 StuGs from nearly point blank range with my T34M41s and got nothing even though I hit almost every time. Then I unHIPed a 45LL at 2 hex range from a previously Shocked StuG, hit it twice with rate, nothing, then missed the third shot. D Fired an adjacent FT at point blank range, rolled an 11. Never even got a single shot with it. Then in my Prep Fire phase, missed those two tanks again with -2 acq from every shooter, intensive fired and rolled 3 straight 10s. We called it after that. Super fun scenario but the dice can't go against you that hard. I did learn a lot about some of the intricacies of VotG, so all was not lost.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a very short scenario, J10 Armored Fist. Not very exciting for me. I played as the Japanese and basically just rumbled down the street, took a detour through the hedges to avoid the roadblock at the Board 42 B5/C5 hexside (J4/K4 would be another good spot), and rolled forward off the edge of the world. I kept the tanks in motion and hoped for average rolls from my opponent. He took out one with an ATR wielding leader, but his vehicles were ineffective. Luckily he usually hit the turret giving me a bump in armor factor. He didn't try for deliberate immobilization since the chance for a kill was just as likely as immobilizing the tanks, i.e. low. Other than the one British leader, both side's infantry were a non factor. Took us an hour to play. More exciting for the British since they are the ones doing the shooting. For the Japanese, meh. I suppose the tanks could stop to shoot, but why take the chance? OK if the day's main event scenario turns out to be a bust.

Last edited:

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since the first scenario of the day was so short - which we figured it would be - my buddy and I played J46 Strongpoint 11 which is another very short scenario. As usual, I took the Japanese. I took it on the chin in this one. Nothing for the Dutch to do the first two turns but sit and wait. I finally got my men into position by turn 3 (of 5 1/2). That's when the Dutch proceeded to rake my guys with deadly fire. The HMG tore up several hexes and even 4 FP shots did considerable damage. My sniper was pretty active which isn't good when the SAN is a 3! Despite the incredible accuracy from the Dutch, I managed to take some of the forward level 2 hills. However, my fire was pretty much the polar opposite with six shots at the bottom of turn 4 - out of six opportunities - completely missing. Three were point blank and one of the units wasn't even in cover! The writing was on the wall at that point. No way I was going to take the rest of the hill in a turn and a half. Even though the dice were extreme for both sides (great for one and horrible for the other) my opponent set up a great defense that would have been hard to crack. Most of his guys were set up in a reverse slope defensive stance forcing me to move point blank over open ground. Had the dice been average for both sides, I still think I would have had a tough go of it. Another quick scenario that could be thrown in if you have a couple spare hours.

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
The first two turns of ASL21 Among the Ruins via VASL. I play the American attacker, and although I had some losses, it's going well. One of my squad with my 9-2 walked into a location bore-sighted by a HMG and MMG and was eliminated, but later, my sniper got the German 9-2, so I can't complain. :cool:

shirlfactor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished up j19 Merzenhausen zoo against @clubby . This was our second go around , I was the Germans again and was able to hold Clubby's Americans. We called it after the U.S turn 5. I was going to get my reinforcements and I still had a strong hold on the stone buildings. The keys were the 50Lat was hipped and got a immobilization on one tank, burned 1 and wrecked another tank on turn 1. I sprayed fire into 2 hexes 4 up1 and got 1mc's that clubby failed every morale check. The other hero of the day was the hmg which got on a rate tear and broke the U.S leader trying to position with a bazooka and then kept going at a squad till he broke. The U.S afv crew was able to survive the blazing wreck and take my 50L at gun and use it against me. He was able to immobilize my 88L. I made the mistake of not destroying the gun when I knew the crew was going to die. Overall it was a fun scenario but there's a lot of open ground for the U.S to get through. I know they have smoke but it just seems tough for them to get enough stone buildings or at least get into the town in a timely manner. Here is the map at the end of the U.S turn 5. It's always fun playing with clubby our next endeavor is db084 Pot of Stew. I got the Russians and he has the Germans. It looks like fun.2017-07-18.png

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I just played VotG 12 Siberian Shockwave solo, with a German win. Soviet conceded on PFPh of the German Turn 8 : the Germans would play skulking and during the following and last Soviet turn, the Siberians would not be able to walk through a row of even broken Germans to gain control of the two missing Ferry Landings.
The Germans lost all but one Ferry Landing, but managed to take back one, leaving the Siberians with only five controled.
The Soviets did take DD26 but lacked time to take DD31.
I think that the Soviets should concentrate more on one objective, leaving a blocking force to keep the Germans busy. They must at least control two more Ferry Landings than at their starting point, so they have to invest some energy at that place.

As you can see with the final image of the scenario, the Germans only got two Stukas (of the possible max total of 6). Their two StuGB disabled their guns (no IF!) and recalled them.
So they weren't overly advantaged here.

I won't go in details about the multiple, fun developments which occured along the battle.
But here are some examples.
A lone Soviet 9-1 leader attacked with a DC, then chased by Zerkers from room to room of a large building, finally managed to regain another building. The Zerkers were CR by a good blast of a Soviet FT toted by a valiant 7-0 leader (and the FT never went out of fuel, contrary to the usual complaint of some players) and taken out by a Fanatic 458.

All in all, a fun, meaty scenario, which recaptures the main features of Stalingrad : heavy urban fight, Stuka attacks, crossing the Volga, deadly CC.

VotG12 Siberian Shokwave - T8 Ger PFPh - German victory  - Soviet concedes.png

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Devil's Free to Have a Try ASL FB 2 Another fun Festung Budapest action. I did not try to cross the Cogwheel RR, and went after the Germans at the White Villa, the PaK 40(g) and E29. This worked well, and the OT-34 surviving a 'schreck attack- 11TH DR. helped too. Once the Germans were all but wiped out, I was able to hold off the Arrow Cross guys try to get back in to E29.
(I tried to go across the mines and wire in- Uncles and Pups. It wasn't pretty.)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like this scenario for its smash mouth factor, but it is seriously tough on the Russians, there really is nowhere for the Russians to go, and everywhere they do go, they get hit by hidden FG's, stukas and guns. The 70mm is nice, but it can only effect a limited area of the battlefield. So with such restrictive terrain to get over, and constant bottlenecks, I think the Russians are hard pressed to pull out a victory. Good little AAR though.

I just played VotG 12 Siberian Shockwave solo, with a German win. Soviet conceded on PFPh of the German Turn 8 : the Germans would play skulking and the following and last Soviet turn would not be able to walk through a row of even broken Germans to gain control of the two missing Ferry Landings.
The Germans lost all but one Ferry Landing, but managed to take back one, leaving the Siberians with only five controled.
The Soviets did take DD26 but lacked time to take DD31.
I think that the Soviets should concentrate more on one objective, leaving a blocking force to keep the Germans busy. They must at least control two more Ferry Landings than at their starting point, so they have to invest some energy at that place.

As you can see with the final image of the scenario, the Germans only got two Stukas (of the possible max total of 6). Their two StuGB disabled their guns (no IF!) and recalled them.
So they weren't overly advantaged here.

I won't go in details about the multiple, fun developments which occured along the battle.
But here are some examples.
A lone Soviet 9-1 leader attacked with a DC, then chased by Zerkers from room to room of a large building, finally managed to regain another building. The Zerkers were CR by a good blast of a Soviet FT toted by a valiant 7-0 leader (and the FT never went out of fuel, contrary to the usual complaint of some players) and taken out by a Fanatic 458.

All in all, a fun, meaty scenario, which recaptures the main features of Stalingrad : heavy urban fight, Stuka attacks, crossing the Volga, deadly CC.

View attachment 2263

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played VotG Storming the Station yesterday, super fun scenario and Bob stumbled initially with his Germans but was able to recover his composure and force a Russian surrender by turn 5. I had managed to get the Germans up to 51CVP but with the loss of the Train Station and Bob keeping his armor way back from any ATG threat, he was able to consolidate his gains and hold back my counter attacks. Personally, I think I got a little over confident after critical hitting three of his tanks, and tried to CC his infantry to attrition him down as the game progressed. With Bob basically keeping his armor safe, I really could not gain those extra points needed to put him over the top on the CVP cap. Bob also had 4 or 5 Heros running around and that made trying to crack his holding line really tough. I also rolled 8 or 9 boxcars on moral checks, 4 in the Train Station, so that went a long way in helping him win the game.

The key to winning this scenario as the Germans is maybe using two or three tanks to push forward to throw smoke but the rest of the Armor including the two 20L HT's will need to be kept back. Another thing the Germans will need to do to take the Train Station is to I think sweep down from the north, a Direct frontal assault is just asking for casualties. The Stukas are perfect for blowing up Russian T-34's, but in our game I lost one T-34 to a FT shot, and another was doing bypass sleaze freeze on a group of Germans, had another unit come over and place a demo (captured German one to boot) charge on the frozen Germans, in advancing fire phase I roll for the DC and roll Snake Eyes, I ended up killing 4 German squads (two ere on the first level), 9-1 and 8-0, rubbled the building and killed my own T-34. Gotta luv ASL.

Great game Great scenario!

Scott

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Maximum Aggression [J166] Dave Stephens had the Japanese yesterday which in CC completely trashed every time the overwhelming English force in Malaya. Leads me to consider only shooting at Japanese given the ever dangerous CC option in the Far East. It was a quick, fun scenario and is scheduled in the first round of the upcoming Atlanta tournament. I was quickly upon the Japanese which were busy attacking the town garrison which was bolstered by back to back HOB results giving me an enhanced leader, a first line squad and a hero. Unfortunately the Japanese sniper killed both the hero and pinned the squad allowing the first of a string of CC victories.