So what scenarios have you played Recently?

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP109 Not bad for a lone Croc I managed a win as the Germans as my dice were better than average and my opponents very cold most of the game. The Americans have very limited options for attack and must funnel and fight every step of the way to the fortified building. The units I left to hold them up held out extremely well lasting at least a turn more than I hoped each time. A great faust roll killed the croc early and a HIP AT gun took out one M10. In the final fight, 2 entrenched units held multiple Americans in Melee through the end of the game and a tenacious gun crew kept 2 other units from making it to the final push. As usual, my opponent was a great teacher and this scenario has a lot of rules to learn. AT-ditches, HIP guns, AT mines, Croc, Faust, DC, Fortified building and bocage. Thanks to Dave for playing this one all the way out with me and patience walking through the rules with the new guy. It took us probably 7 hours of actual playing time and was great fun.

Last edited:

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Z5 Brandenburger Bridge I managed to roll 12 no less than 10 times. Really took the impact out of my attack. Highlight of the game was when the my stuka was shot down and the other rolled a 12 on its attack. Great classic scenario great fun with attacks coming from all directions.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played Z5 Brandenburger Bridge I managed to roll 12 no less than 10 times. Really took the impact out of my attack. Highlight of the game was when the my stuka was shot down and the other rolled a 12 on its attack. Great classic scenario great fun with attacks coming from all directions.
Great scenario, pity it was somewhat forgotten over time

Grumblejones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No doubt about it. The "12"'s gave me the breathing room to consolidate against the east end of the bridge.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No doubt about it. The "12"'s gave me the breathing room to consolidate against the east end of the bridge.
Both sides have fickle tools...OBA and air support. Of the two air support is usually better...usually.

Great scenario, great opponent and great fun. Can't ask for better in ASL.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
ASL 130 Debacle at Korosten. My Cossacks wiped the floor with the German defenders, I even succeeded with a few cavalry charges and had won before the German reinforcements arrived.
And I won the return match with the Germans, too. While in the first game my opponent tried to hold the village in the middle of the map, in the second game I gave it up and concentrated on holding the two hills on the left with my three full squads and MGs. Enough units managed to retreat there, and I even managed to snatch a few horses from the Russians to help me with my "Operation Verpissen".

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I finished J142 Penny Packets. I had the German attacker. An attraction of this scenario is some different AFV for both sides and multiple sources of VP. Bruno made a dummy tank which paid dividends later when he was able to move it and keep it concealed. This led me to bring my reinforcements on near it, which did not help the rest of my forces. Bruno used the TI M7 VP ploy for only one turn for two vehicles. The 3 M7 AFV were in the centre adjacent to the hedges for cover. I managed to destroy one of them with a 251/9, but that HT died soon after from a 37L HT. A Pz4 would have taken out another M7, if the Pz4 MA hadn't broke. The snow became heavy in turn 3. The points were close going into the fourth turn, but the stuarts started to swing the game in the American favour, as well as a sniper putting stun on a StuG. When I conceded after five German turns, the VP were 28 for the Germans and 42 for the Americans.

Last edited:

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played ITR-1 Debacle at Sung Kiang winning with the Japanese. It was a hard fought battle as I rolled just poorly enough to usually miss a MC by one, thus ending up with a bunch of striped units. I split my forces - which I don't usually like to do - but felt it was necessary to take enough buildings in the time allotted. I almost threw in the towel midgame when I was seriously bogged down by my opponent's stiff defense near where the boards butt together. A desperate Banzai charge and a broken Chinese HMG opened up the extreme western and eastern parts of the board. After that, it was off to the races for buildings. By turn 6, I still thought I wasn't going to take enough buildings because it looked liked I only had 9. Multiple recounts later showed I had 12 (my opponent and I must be getting old - and we are!) so I ended up having to hold off a Chinese counterattack on the bottom of turn 6. My opponent came up short and I held on for the win. Every time I play as the Japanese I am mentally exhausted afterward! Since they don't break, for the most part, I find I am always pushing them and searching for ways to exploit this advantage. No matter how grim it looks, they just never seem to be out of it - and it's always a bloodbath! This scenario was no different. Recommended

Last edited:

shirlfactor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished playing AP 32 Second Crack at Caumont on vasl against my weekly opponent @clubby . We made it through most of the Germans turn 2 before we called it. I was the Americans and my average roll was 6.13 Clubby was the Germans and his average was almost 8. When I wanted to shoot White Prosperous I got it , mc's got those too. The Germans average roll was 7.86 and that's generous rally's ,mc's, and ift were all 8 to 9. I couldn't have rolled any better. By the end of turn 2 he had a wounded broken leader ( they only get 2), malf a mmg ( they only get 1) 4 broken squads ( they start with 9) . I was already into the church by then end of my turn 2. As much as it was fun to have the rolls and everything go my way ( other than losing 2 tanks to his 88) it really doesn't help us make any real opinions on the scenario or get excited to play it again.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Merely Hanging On [BtB2] After an ASL break of six weeks since the "Bitter Ender" tournament I got together with long-time friend, Dave Stephens to play this scenario around the famous Normandy town Sainte-Mère-Église. Dave, aka John Wayne from "The Longest Day", completely stopped my German attack. His demoralized men always seemed to rally whereas my Germans broke most of the time on a normal morale check. There was a moment of hope when I brought down a spotting round on the American left flank holding out in the woods but it drifted to where I need to draw an extra card to let the FFE go off and, voila, a red card. That pretty much was the end of the German assault on turn five. My SP guns promptly ran out of HE but to their credit had no problem crossing bocage hexsides. None were lost which was the only bright spot for me. Americans hold the edge in this scenario 24 wins vs. 14 losses per ROAR.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Iron Coffins PAD 4 Large Italian force- well, large for a map this size, tries to exit through a smaller Greek force with one 85mm gun. I like the new map. It has good flow to it. The Brixia destroyed my 85mm on it's first shot- a CH! But the L3/35s were more vulnerable than normal to MG fire. Two of them exited on the north flank, but they were the only units to exit. The main Italian attack came down the south flank. My Greeks could not shoot well at all. The Italians made it to the bottom of the hill, but could not exit at all. Good scenario.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Ed Beekman and I recently played BFP114 Engineering Defeat for round 3 of the Vaal League.

It's a Poland in Flames scenario featuring all infantry oobs contesting 4 multihex urban buildings, although the short approach is rural. Major attraction is that both sides have flamethrower(s) and neither side has a fire engine. Nor are the VC buildings equipped with sprinkler systems.

My Germans approached aggressively, taking few casualties but Ed's Poles were retreating in good order. After Turn 3 flirtation ceased and heavy petting ensued. A HIP green Polish HS gunned down a German assault engineer squad and leader on a 2-2 / 2-3 shot - lots of corpses but fortunately for me the FT survived. This FT decided the scenario, getting off 4 or 5 shots, each crucial. Meanwhile the Polish FT flattered to deceive and Xed out on its first shot. And that was it - Can't help feeling the scenario was largely decided by whose FT rolls were better, but that's part of the attraction, right?

shirlfactor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J19 Merhausen zoo against @clubby tonight. I was the defending Germans. I setup most of my tanks forward enough to shoot but not exposed too much. Clubby couldn't get much smoke down .which made it tougher for him to advance. I had hipped the 50l at and both shreks I had in the brush on the Eastern side of the battlefield. By my turn 2 I had taken out 4 tanks and lost 1 stug. The Brit tanks still had a way to go before they can get involved in anything. We called it on turn 2. We're going to set it up again from the beginning same sides. I know the roar is 60-50 German but it looks even harder on the Americans. We'll see what happens. I had a lot of fun setting up a defense for this scenario. There are so many options an ideas. I'll have to come up with a different setup for our next game.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tried playing ITR-10 Samurai Stalingrad but I called it in the middle of turn 2. I was the Japanese. The scenario itself is very interesting. Both the Chinese and Japanese have to attack and defend in this one. However, after playing 5 1/2 hours and only making it halfway through turn 2 (of 8), that was too much for me. The scenario has a lot of units and many careful decisions need to be made throughout the battlefield. At the time, I had a foothold in one of the factories thanks to a broken HMG that had a great fire lane down the street I needed to cross, but the Chinese were starting to make a major push in the middle. Way too early to tell how it might have turned out, though. Although he didn't protest, my buddy still wanted to duke it out. The problem in my mind is that I think it would have taken at least two more gaming sessions to finish the scenario and there are WAY too many scenarios I'd like to try. With gaming time at a premium, I let this one go. We play pretty fast so I was surprised how slow it went. But, if you have the time, it's definitely worth a try. Plays way different than the usual Russian vs German city slugfest that's for sure!

Last edited:

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Conceded a game of A94 "Last Defense Line" last week. I drew chit 1 as the Germans, so I needed to get 12 CVP; I wonder if such an 'unfocused' goal was part of my problem.

Things certainly started well, but I ended up with a broken platoon in one place, a breakthrough in another, and the French in between. It was a fun scenario, and Tom never guessed what my true goal was, but I ended it a turn early with only two GO squads left.

The full report is here:
http://www.rindis.com/blog/4216

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J19 Merhausen zoo against @clubby tonight. I was the defending Germans. I setup most of my tanks forward enough to shoot but not exposed too much. Clubby couldn't get much smoke down .which made it tougher for him to advance. I had hipped the 50l at and both shreks I had in the brush on the Eastern side of the battlefield. By my turn 2 I had taken out 4 tanks and lost 1 stug. The Brit tanks still had a way to go before they can get involved in anything. We called it on turn 2. We're going to set it up again from the beginning same sides. I know the roar is 60-50 German but it looks even harder on the Americans. We'll see what happens. I had a lot of fun setting up a defense for this scenario. There are so many options an ideas. I'll have to come up with a different setup for our next game.
@shirlfactor 5 tanks! I was down 5 tanks. All American tanks. I'm looking forward to losing more tanks with your next defensive setup. :D