So what scenarios have you played Recently?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
High Danger VftT V1 Rumored to be the best of the VftT scenarios- and I can see why. Looked like the Germans were losing, the they took the hill, then held off my last turn Aussie counter attack. The Panzers ignored my 40L guns on most turns. 4 or less TK is a lot to ask. I scored a few kills, but my opponent is too good of a tank man to allow any flanking shots. The handful of Panzergrenadiers won it for the Germans. This should be published as an official scenario. Good stuff!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played U25 Breakout From Borisov over a two day period. My opponent and I played this forever ago when COI first came out. We wanted to start the summer with a splash but the scenario turned out to be a dud. The scenario itself isn't bad, but we both suffered from miserable luck over the two day span. First, a comment about luck. If a person rolls a 3 to rally a squad needing a 7 or less, no one says anything. If a person rolls a 3 and the squad is suffering from DM, that becomes luck. So saying someone is lucky (or not) is subjective. In this one, I can objectively say luck played a major role. I won as the Germans at the end of turn 5 when my opponent conceded. To list some of the high(low)lights of our game:
  • Stukas hadn't arrived yet
  • My opponent's units in a hex gets shot at and on the resulting MC roll - 12 for the 10-2 leader. Wounds
  • Very next shot at a different hex, my opponent rolls a 12 for his 9-2 leader. Dies
  • Radio contact, gained twice maintained once
  • KV-2 start up roll, 12
  • Sneak a Pz III with 8-1 armor leader behind BT-5, 12 on the to hit roll
  • 10-3 directing fire, HMG malfunctions
  • Pretty much any MC my opponent took, ELR break
  • Three BT MAs malfunction
One might say with as many units that are in this one, the law of averages should show some results like this. But really, there weren't that many rolls. We kept pretty big stacks for the first three turns to try and get our units into place resulting in few shots fired. Just pretty much a miserable two days of dice. I can't say either one of us was diced since bad things happened to each side. In the end, though, I do think the Germans have the advantage. Way too much firepower to take on as the Russians. When my opponent did try to disperse his squads, I held fire for any leaders. He ended up losing four leaders (plus he had the wounded one) in the first four turns. I started taking a lot of prisoners on the southern flank just because there was no Russian leaders left to rally them. I'm not sorry we played it, I just wish the dice had been kinder to make the experience worthwhile.

Edit - Oh yeah, forgot another:
  • Rolled a CH with my 37L halftrack on a commissar and two MMG wielding squads in a wooden building. Result DR? You guessed it. Boxcars...

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
ASL 130 Debacle at Korosten. My Cossacks wiped the floor with the German defenders, I even succeeded with a few cavalry charges and had won before the German reinforcements arrived.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
J 187 in Deadly Combat, I played as German granting the balance to my opponent given the huge unbalance according ROAR.
The Scenario features a large scale Russian attack with 26 Squads + 4 AFV (or 6, at Russian's option) vs 14 German squads (+3 Stugs at German's option). Another 3 German squads + two light AFVs enter in turn 3. The (secret-pre setup) option if having more tanks influences the VCs. The Russian decided to have all armor available, the German decided to forfeit the three Stugs making a little harder the Russian objective (he had to control 5 - and not 4 - victory buildings on 7 laying 4 in boards 71 and three in board U). The German AT assets are just two 37L AT guns (by SSR with AP9) since a big 105 ART has flew for balance.
The scenario, (Crimea, December '41, ground snow) is nice and fun from both sides. The German has plenty of defensive options and the Russian can use his overwhelming numbers in more ways in this typical early east front Russian counter attack.

Despite the good premises we can see why the scenario looks so unbalanced on ROAR. The Russian must move too often and too longer in open ground over a wide front. They only have three leaders (for 26 squads) and ELR 2. Besides they only have 6 turns to make the job done and, last but not least, by SSR all Russian tanks must move BEFORE infantry making impossible the armored assault tactic.

My hot dice helped to prematurely (by turn 4) end any Russian dream, but we agreed the scenario - althought interesting - is very difficult for the attacker.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
J 152 Messenger Boys..... Brits had Control of oU4 and 3 satellite buildings, but were convincingly thrown out of U4+1 in the final German 1/2 turn. Some nifty half-track maneuvers ensured that everyone who broke would die by FTR. Looked bleak for the Brits going into 6a. I managed to get a squad and HS ADJ to the U2 holdouts via the shenanigans of a VBMing Sherman. Jerry opted for Spraying Fire 'zid instead of a possible AFV kill. All residual was survived. I had forgotten all about the necessary 3rd satellite building, and the squad who was also ADJ to it had to Adv into it. A Motion Sherman and 2-4-8 vs a 9-1/5-4-8 (pinned by AdvF). Yep, Brits roll a '1' and the Germans a '6' on the Ambush dr. Brits get Ambush and net a CR on the squad. German roll has no effect. For all the marbles, CMG of Motion Sherman at 1:2 (-1) rolls a '5' and RS is a tie for the CR! HS is CR'd to the cemetery and...and...and...the leader is only lightly wounded. The wounded 9-1 retaining Control of U2 was the only thing that stopped the British from final victory! Excellent scenario..... though it had me at bocage. :thumbsup:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My hot dice helped to prematurely (by turn 4) end any Russian dream, but we agreed the scenario - althought interesting - is very difficult for the attacker.
I tend to agree with your assessment, yet i have one or two ideas which may or may not work. I'll report on it for sure.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just finished FRF77 Ghostbusters with John Knowles ... we had THE most dramatic last turn .. can't stop laughing about it ..

AAR to follow (this weekend) ... ooohhhh Lordy .... :D :D :D :D :D

buser333

Reaction score
ASL 130 Debacle at Korosten. My Cossacks wiped the floor with the German defenders, I even succeeded with a few cavalry charges and had won before the German reinforcements arrived.
Funny, I just played this one myself with the same results. Cavalry played a limit role however. Basically just used to get in and get out.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
If you have cavalry in a scenario, you must charge at least once. It's somewhere in the rules... :D

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
What do you use to make up your "picture AAR"? (I assume screenshots from VASL, but apart from that?)

They always look awesome. I'm just afraid they take you a lot of time to create...

(Of course this one seems to be incredibly action-packed...)

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I Call Roll ASL AP101 So I landed on the part of the beach covered by the PaK38 and the LMG, but not the HMG. The beach was the usual bloodbath, but quite a few American squads made it to the trench line. Once on dry ground, the German's are in trouble. We did not use SSR 3, which is the, "flunk a TC, German HSs are eliminated" SSR. But this just delayed the inevitable.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What do you use to make up your "picture AAR"? (I assume screenshots from VASL, but apart from that?)

They always look awesome. I'm just afraid they take you a lot of time to create...

(Of course this one seems to be incredibly action-packed...)

Thanks .. It's an IOS software called COMIC LIFE. I do that while on the elliptical machine at the gym. It's a great distraction!

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States