So what scenarios have you played Recently?

ScoobySnacks

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
I just finished up 008 The Fugitives (played it twice, lost on both sides) and 110 North Bank (lost as well, both tanks malf'ed).

Now playing RB3 and J59. Soon to start on my first CG, PBr II.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Clash at Ponyri from the Rubble pack. Ok scenarios but playing with such a large counter mix with a scenario that ends up being on a half board is kind of a pain. Russians won on turn 5 due to the Germans taking too many losses.

Scott

scottf2

ASL addict
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played Puma Prowls, my first game of full ASL, during the "warmup" day at West Coast Melee. Kevin Ryan was kind enough to play a quick game with a newbie, and walked me through the differences betw. the "real deal" and the SKs, which are what I've played up to now. This was a good scenario to make the jump, since it wasn't really very different than the SKs - just had to figure out bypass, and a few other small details that didn't have too much effect (crew survival, wind... )

Kevin obliterated me without too much trouble. I made some newbie mistakes - a bit too much innefective IF early on left me vulnerable to him getting up close without me being able to do anything about it, and then, once he had me on the ropes and I had only one real shot at taking out another tank, I forgot to take into account the fact that you can only change from BU to CE once during the MPh, which, in conjunction with the fact that my T-70s couldn't fire while CE, meant that I my carefully planned flanking strategy was all for naught since I couldn't fire once I got into position! :crosseye: But, as always, I enjoy the learning process as I make these dumb mistakes along the way... all part of the fun.

I'm really looking forward to a solid weekend of WCM fun - seems like a fun group of guys.

Scott

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I forgot to take into account the fact that you can only change from BU to CE once during the MPh, which, in conjunction with the fact that my T-70s couldn't fire while CE, meant that I my carefully planned flanking strategy was all for naught since I couldn't fire once I got into position! :crosseye: But, as always, I enjoy the learning process as I make these dumb mistakes along the way... all part of the fun.

I'm really looking forward to a solid weekend of WCM fun - seems like a fun group of guys.

Scott

You can switch CE/BU status in the advance phase as well. In the case of of the T-70s, you would miss an advancing fire opportunity after the movement phase, but you would be ready for defensive fire.

Hey, work changed the website filter and I can post during the day now!

paulkenny

Reaction score
Just finished playing FE 108, No Walkover, my russians held the hill against Jeff Miller's advancing Gerries. Despite good use of the minefields I could not roll a low attack DR, result was the Germans marched right up the hill. I protected the flanks fine but the center just caved. I had to quit at the bottom of the 5th cause I needed to recapture 3 hexes and had to cross OG against stacks of germans with MG's.

I of course recommend this one for tourney play! :devious:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hi

Played SP (Whatever number it is) Paco Station recently.

I thought it was fun, but I was the Japanese and I think it looks pretty tough on the USA.

I was able to keep a squad and a HS HIP in the VC building the entire game. The US player had some bad luck, but we both were rolling on the two extremes of the luck pendulum (I bet he rolled my SAN number 15 times for instance), but when he really needed the good luck it was not there (especially on MCs).

A killer turn saw 4 US squads break and required the “last turn charge” which had no chance of sucess.

Peace

Roger

McFinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished ASL C Streets of Stalingrad.

I used it as a training for a newer player to get a handle on tanks and infantry in the same scenario. We had previously done Guards Counter Attack and The Tractor works so he had an idea of strategy to use. My Germans got absolutely crushed, The darn Russkie sniper seemed to be zeroed in on may leaders and took out a 9-2, 10-2, 10-3 within 3 turns.

I like using these classics as training scenarios for the newer players so the get a sense of the "history" of SL and ASL. The inherent programmed instruction in scenarios A, B & C helps as well.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last night the East Side Gamers playtested my new scenario designed specifically for Critical Hit's next "Total Axis Pack". It uses an interesting map that was provided in TAP 1. This is the first scenario I've ever designed that doesn't use geo-boards.

The scenario was a blast! We had a great time. D.S. was in total trash-talk mode because he was winning, and poor Eric had to also put up with my shouts of "Glenn Himself!" as I was successful on my front as well. It's always fun when your flamethrower burns up an open-topped Nashhorn!

:)

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last night the East Side Gamers playtested my new scenario designed specifically for Critical Hit's next "Total Axis Pack". It uses an interesting map that was provided in TAP 1. This is the first scenario I've ever designed that doesn't use geo-boards.

The scenario was a blast! We had a great time. D.S. was in total trash-talk mode because he was winning, and poor Eric had to also put up with my shouts of "Glenn Himself!" as I was successful on my front as well. It's always fun when your flamethrower burns up an open-topped Nashhorn!

:)
Unless you're the crew of the Nashhorn....:nuts:

scottf2

ASL addict
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just got back from 17 straight hours of ASL at WCM :)

I played four games:

First game was against Brandon Liesenmeyer, a veteran who was kind enough to play a newbie in a SK game - we played Monty's Gamble, which was trippy since the entire British force sets up HIP. I was the Germans and it was very strange coming on to a completely "empty" board... Brandon beat me solidly, and provided some excellent post-game analysis, so it was a great learning scenario.

Next up was two games in a row vs. Todd, another newbie. This was the first time I've ever played anyone who was LESS experienced than me, and it was a nice change. It was a good test to see just how many rules I remembered when there wasn't someone there to remind me or do the basic math for me... between the two of us, I think we did pretty well, and didn't forget too many things... I won the first game quickly due to an amazing streak of 3s - I started feeling badly about such hot dice and switched them for another pair, but my streak continued. By turn two I had wiped out most of his force and victory was impossible. We set up again and played through it again and this time Todd was much more careful with his attack. I won again, but it was a much closer game.

My final game was against another Vet - David Reinking. We played S28, Out of Luck, which was my biggest game yet - lots of units, combined arms, etc. Once again, I had hot dice (although this time it couldn't have been JUST the dice, since we were both using the same pair... I must have some mystical affinity to these particular dice). My 122L gun was very handy and took out a number of tanks and squads. In the end, it came down to a tank showdown, and once again the dice came through for me and I pulled out a win.

All in all, a fantastic day of ASL, and I'm ready for more tomorrow...

bennerc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Silesian Interlude - J63.

A classic by Chas Smith. It's hard to have more fun in only six turns.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
A71 Patton's Prayers at today's DC COnscript meeting. -- jim

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished playing S19 Purple Heart Lane with my wife. She was the Germans and won. I could not break her defence. I took only 4 of the required six buildings.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just completed TT5 Commandos Not Supermen. This was part of the VASL League for 2008.

I lost in CC to Joe Clinton. I was the Japanese.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Bob Holmstrom and I played Down Radio Road from CH! Hero pax 3. Very tight scenario that went down to the wire with the IJA taking it on the chin at game end, were not able to get the required units off board for victory.

But I'll say this, those 768 Marines are just awesome with their reach out and touch me fire power although Lee Harvey the Marine sniper was asleep on the job.

Great game Bob!

Scott

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recovering from West Coast Melee...played seven scenarios over three days...

FrF17 The Marco Polo Bridge Incident
J76 Ultimate Treachery
FrF20 Wunderwaffe
J102 The Yelnya Bridge
J94 Kempf at Melikhovo
Rpt18 Worker's Settlement No.8
VotG2 Russe! Drown in the Wolga

Semper Fi!
Scott

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
playtested one from the East Front action pack yesterday;
ftf playtesting beats pseudo/solo playtesting anyday!:laugh:
co

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Recovering from West Coast Melee...played seven scenarios over three days..."

blahblahblah....whatever. Is MPIII up for order yet?? :)

Just kidding of course, any AAR's for the Melee posted yet? Wish I'd have been there.

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My most recent playing (completed game) was "Fields of Black Gold", against the esteemed Darrell Andersen.

I'd love to play that one again ... as the attacker again. I know what I'd do differently this time. And while the scenario leans toward the defense, I think I could win as the attacker.

Brien

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Recovering from West Coast Melee...played seven scenarios over three days..."

blahblahblah....whatever. Is MPIII up for order yet?? :)

Just kidding of course, any AAR's for the Melee posted yet? Wish I'd have been there.
MPIII should be up for order on the website in the next couple of days.

Working on putting my AAR together, but have a ton of reports here at work that I gotta take care of first...should have the AAR done later this afternoon.

You did miss the laminated coasters that Rob Feinstein made for everyone...a variation of a Hero counter...picture of a muscle-man holding a girl in a swimsuit in his arms...my head photoshopped on the girl, Matt Cicero's head on the muscle-man...very funny stuff. :nuts::laugh:

Speaking of photoshopped heads...take a close look at the cover for MPIII when you get it and see if you can find me! :smoke::laugh:

Semper Fi!
Scott