So what scenarios have you played Recently?

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish either Mark or MMP would get some of the Aussie tournament scenarios up/out. I’ve seen some good ones but the copies I’ve got aren’t very good
One scenario I would really like to see republished is "One Log Bridge", ASLUG #12. Not sure which ASLUG issue it appeared in. It is a small intro PTO scenario, good for learning. I don't think it was ever re-published, unless someone knows different.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
One scenario I would really like to see republished is "One Log Bridge", ASLUG #12. Not sure which ASLUG issue it appeared in. It is a small intro PTO scenario, good for learning. I don't think it was ever re-published, unless someone knows different.
I was surprised that this scenario is not in the Archive.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I assume it would have required Gary's permission to be reprinted. You could PM for that info or perhaps he even still has copies of that issue.

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. I have the scenario card from the ASLUG issue. And, I have played it FtF a time or two. I would like to play it on VASL as a PBEM, sort of as a PTO training scenario. I don't want to copy or scan it because I respect the IP rights. I think Gary (or whoever) must have given permission to republish at least some of the ASLUG scenarios because many of them were reprinted. I don't know Gary's handle, maybe you could PM it to me.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. I have the scenario card from the ASLUG issue. And, I have played it FtF a time or two. I would like to play it on VASL as a PBEM, sort of as a PTO training scenario. I don't want to copy or scan it because I respect the IP rights. I think Gary (or whoever) must have given permission to republish at least some of the ASLUG scenarios because many of them were reprinted. I don't know Gary's handle, maybe you could PM it to me.
He is Fort.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Isn’t that the same action as Bailey’s Demise from Operation Watchtower (geo version) and Hell’s Corner (HASL version)?

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm. I don't have the Hell's Corner scenario. I'm thinking the location is probably the same, but the dates differ. According to the scenario cards, One Log Bridge (12, Sept, 1942) and Bailey's Demise (26 Sept, 1942). The geo board setups are similar, but not identical. Thanks Perry.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The reply from players using FaceBook is "yes". Comments stated that you might need to try more than one PDF reader for optimal satisfaction.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Yesterday me and my brother Teemu continued our Festung Budapest adventures with FB4 HKL 259. I was Russian attacker and Teemu played the axis.

I split my forces in groups, one third of my force went down the Russian left flank and two thirds along the right side of the map, with couple of squads sent to mop up the middle stone building with Hungarian strongpoint. Teemu had setup the small Hungarian force upfront and these were dispatched relatively quickly. Germans were a different matter and Teemu fought a controlled fighting withdrawal toward the map edge, and as hard as i tried I could not get a break and mess his plans.

By turn 5 out of 7 i realized I was running out of time and made last desperate push but did not get anywhere.

To me the scenario felt like it was one turn too short for the Russian - correctly executed fighting withdrawal was something the Russian just did not have the means to counter. All through the game I felt considerable time pressure and tried to push hard, suffering casualties which took the steam out of the Russian attack before the endgame.

This part of the FB map offered a different experience form the other scenarios have played. Also the attack downhill with ground snow in effect was a welcome chance from the normal ASL scenario pace.

Last edited:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To me the scenario felt like it was one turn too short for the Russian - correctly executed fighting withdrawal was something the Russian just did not have the means to counter. All through the game I felt considerable time pressure and tried to push hard, suffering casualties which took the steam out of the Russian attack before the endgame.

This part of the FB map offered a different experience form the other scenarios have played. Also the attack downhill with ground snow in effect was a welcome chance from the normal ASL scenario pace.
Make the Russians ski-equipped? ;)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yesterday me and my brother Teemu continued our Festung Budapest adventures with FB4 HKL 259. I was Russian attacker and Teemu played the axis.

I split my forces in groups, one third of my force went down the Russian left flank and two thirds along the right side of the map, with couple of squads sent to mop up the middle stone building with Hungarian strongpoint. Teemu had setup the small Hungarian force upfront and these were dispatched relatively quickly. Germans were a different matter and Teemu fought a controlled fighting withdrawal toward the map edge, and as hard as i tried I could not get a break and mess his plans.

By turn 5 out of 7 i realized I was running out of time and made last desperate push but did not get anywhere.

I dont know this scenario but it sounds like a lot of fun. I have always liked the " withdrawal " type actions, a nice change of pace. The AAR on the scenario Ambitious Plans got me doing a lot of pondering and this will probably do the same! Good stuff!🤔

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe after the core modules get finished, MMP could try to get "Out of the Attic 3" on track for a 2022 release?
After all, with ASLUG and MMP's original magazine (I forget titles so easily now!) there are many scenarios deserving
to be brought back to life.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP's original magazine was "Back Blast" (went through my dusty archives!).
Still think that "Out of the Attic 3" should be released in 2022.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Finished a game of VV85 Désespérés, from French magazine VaeVictis, on VASL.

July 43, East front. A strong group of Russian infantry (15 squads, 9 of them Elite) supported by abundant armor (T34, KV1, a lone SU122, and two tankettes) must capture most of a "crossroad village", defended by a small German force but with two fearsome 88LL AT guns and a number of halftracks, and with some German reinforcements to come - two PzII A open-toppeds, and later, two "real" PzIV with some elite riders. I was playing the Russians.

The Germans had set up part of their infantry ahead of the village to slow down the Russian approach, and this cost them - it didn't slow me down too much, and with so much armor, retreating became difficult for them. I also had some lucky shots at some of the halftracks - with ATRs, with AFPh shots, you name it; after a few turns only the one mortar-equipped halftrack remained. Both AT guns revealed themselves by ambushing (and burning) Russian tanks (one of them a tankette, thankfully), so my attack became mostly a matter of dealing with the German infantry.

The first wave of German reinforcements (two SPA) tried to move to the right flank (left was held by both AT guns), and made the mistake of stopping in clear LOS (and longish range) of a Russian mortar, which killed one and immobilised the other with a nice sequence of ROF shots. This made the German defense very difficult, and by the time the second wave entered (turn 5 of 7 - there is a dr to have them enter on turn 4), the German infantry were almost all broken or eliminated and the village was firmly in Russian hands.

The first PzIV overran a lone ATR-toting squad (but lost its 548 riders to a PTC/bail out/break); the second, heavily loaded with a 548 and 9-2 riders that made it look a little like a very scary halftrack with a big gun and thick armor, moved forward and tried to counterattack. It was a last ditch effort, and could not realistically succeed - the VCs are about building control, and you need infantry for that.

The scenario is an interesting situation with a good variety of armor and guns, but it seems tough on the Germans (ROAR has it a 4:1, not enough playings to be very significant but still shows a pattern).

Obligatory anecdote: one of the AT crews did a hell of a job. They killed the first T34 that showed up, then single-handedly held the Russian approach on the left flank at bay - for two full turns they were at the center of a 70mm OBA FFE and didn't blink once. Late in the game they malfunctioned their gun, which the remaining T-60 took as an incentive to go and overrun them (even through the FFE). The tankette took the first OBA attack nicely, but was immobilised by the second round as it entered its overrun hex and the overrun had no effect. Quite unfazed, the German crew went for a FPF CC RF, found an ATMM, and burned the T-60 - freeing them to fire outside of their hex, but enveloping them in smoke (remember, they were still at the center of an FFE). Next turn, they repaired the gun, pointed it at a nearby T-34 that had thought them neutralized, kept ROF, fired again, burned the T-34.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished up the second half of A100 Dorset Wood in the Rain. Started with my defending Brits rolling four boxcars but got better from there. The rain returned and turned heavy but the mud only delayed the advancing Germans. Came down to the end when my dice turned hot and John’s turned ice cold. My previously stunned Achilles won the gun duel vs John’s previously stunned Tiger and got just enough on the TK roll to get him. But the hero was a cx h/s who rolled snakes on and advance fire PIAT shot vs a moving in the rain Stug. Only being able to get one tank off doomed the Germans in this one.
interesting scenario where the Brits have to leave enough to fire across board 10 to delay the Germans so at least some infantry can get back to help the reinforcements fight the exit. Not your usual scenario by any means.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP163 Dingoes at Damour recently. A nice tourney-sized game pitting the Aussies against the defending Vichy. The Aussies need to capture VC buildings. This assignment provides some options for the attack which is always a plus. For the Vichy it tended to be a static defense, so certainly less interesting for them.

That said, both sides have assets to win the game. The Vichy simply got slowly worn down to just a few remaining units – often due to being surrounded and eliminated for FTR. The Aussies did lose four of five AFV and had a string of mid-game breaks (447s), but were ultimately rallied. In a push for the final VC building the 457 occupier was broken. This would allow several units to pack the building. It was Aussie turn 5 when the Vichy ended it.

I liked this scenario with its tin cans, but then again, I had the more interesting attacking side. As the Aussie, there are a lot of “sequences” in the process of capturing the various buildings. A failure – or delay – in any one of them can surely mean defeat. For the Vichy, it is about doling out punishment to disrupt the Aussie timetable – and coalescing the end-game defense.

End Game

I enjoyed it, but could see the defender feeling a little less enthusiastic. Nevertheless, it is always great to get some ASL on the table.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Played AP163 Dingoes at Damour recently. A nice tourney-sized game pitting the Aussies against the defending Vichy. The Aussies need to capture VC buildings. This assignment provides some options for the attack which is always a plus. For the Vichy it tended to be a static defense, so certainly less interesting for them.

That said, both sides have assets to win the game. The Vichy simply got slowly worn down to just a few remaining units – often due to being surrounded and eliminated for FTR. The Aussies did lose four of five AFV and had a string of mid-game breaks (447s), but were ultimately rallied. In a push for the final VC building the 457 occupier was broken. This would allow several units to pack the building. It was Aussie turn 5 when the Vichy ended it.

I liked this scenario with its tin cans, but then again, I had the more interesting attacking side. As the Aussie, there are a lot of “sequences” in the process of capturing the various buildings. A failure – or delay – in any one of them can surely mean defeat. For the Vichy, it is about doling out punishment to disrupt the Aussie timetable – and coalescing the end-game defense.

End Game
View attachment 18027

I enjoyed it, but could see the defender feeling a little less enthusiastic. Nevertheless, it is always great to get some ASL on the table.
I am playing this currently as the defending French and we are about half way through.

I agree with your assessment that this scenario is probably more interesting for the attacker. I think that the defender can't do much but to 'defend the fortress' hoping to hang on long enough. For lack of forward TEM and the threat of Routs being cut off by the British AFV which can move fast as lightning, setting up French units more to the front seems not to make sense to me.

The French must hope to bash the British as they move close and hope they don't find much Smoke. In my game, the British 51mm MTRs found (so far) four rounds of SMOKE and put them right where they needed them. I lost two French full squads in CC immediately at equal odds but with a slight advantage for Ambush in French favor and one of the armored Trucks to an MG before it could fire a shot. Failure to Rout is a big thing (and one of the keys) in this scenario - it is very hard to avoid for the French, and I suffered it, too. Despite my taking out one of the British tankettes by a lucky MG shot, I'd be surprised if I can win this.

After I am done with my playing, an AAR will eventually follow.

von Marwitz

Andrew Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llAustralia
I wish either Mark or MMP would get some of the Aussie tournament scenarios up/out. I’ve seen some good ones but the copies I’ve got aren’t very good
Hi. As per a previous comment, the latest Action Pack is a good place to start for Aussie tournament scenarios. 12 of the 15 Action Pack 16 scenarios were playtested in Aussie tournaments (mainly at the main Aussie tournament, Cancon, which I have run for a number of years).