So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I played my fourth round of the Sioux City Street Fighting tournament against Dennis Dowd of Nebraska. I had the Japanese attacker in AP55 THE GENERALISSIMO'S OWN. The Chinese conceded after the third turn because of casualties. I had a couple of firsts that I want to relate. A Chinese truck carrying a squad and a crew, and towing an AA gun, moved to a hex within long range of a Japanese HS. The scenario VP are oriented towards CVP, so I took the 1FP shot and rolled a three. This immobilized the truck and the 1MC broke the squad and crew, who abandoned the truck. That's one first. A turn later, the abandoned truck and gun are still there. I think I have a chance to send a squad with DC after it. Defensive fire fire stripes the squad, then a K/1 result makes it into a broken HS. Oh well, I think. On the next Japanese turn, the HS self-rallies and goes after the truck and gun again. This time it is successful placing the DC, which burns the truck and gun. That was my second first. Gotta love the things that can happen in ASL.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
From the Roma MMP Pack, i played Second Hand News. Retreating Germans are caught between a rock and a hard place, namely between Corsican partisans and Italian troops. The German SS must exit while the Partisan/Italian will score mainly CVP. I like the multi-factor VCs which create separate incentives. The Germans look strong but time is running short to exit and there are elusive partisans on the way which automatically regain concealment in buildings and have MOL ready for the supporting pair of Stugs. In a sense both players must attack as the Italians might prove useless unless they push hard to close up the distance to the retreating Germans. This gives a fairly dynamic gameplay on the new board 86. ROAR has it 5/3 in favor of the Allies but i think it's doable with the Germans.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
From the Roma MMP Pack, i played Second Hand News.
Played that one myself recently.

My opponent thought it was going to be a walk in the park playing the Germans but it was harder for him than it looked. Putting Partisan bodies in the way of the advance slowed him down for an Allied win.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently finished up AP12 CREAM OF THE CROP against a wonderful opponent. Having never played this classic I was very excited to have at it. It looks (and was) a daunting project for for 1941 Russians to keep a well led and adequately supported German force from taking a majority of building locations in a village even though supported themselves by the king of this battlefield, a KV1 and reinforced by three T-60's. The Germans have three StuG B's to augment their force but these have a minimal ability to face off against the KV except if they gang up on it, in other words lining up to be an infantry fight. In this playing a sure shooting StuG would take out my KV with a CH as well as two of the 3 T-60's and mangle a few infantry positions, certainly earning him the Iron Cross for his efforts. Though one of his trio would fall to a shot from a T-60 in a free-wheeling fight, the end result was just too few Russians left against a well thought out German attack plan to pull this one out for me. The scenario certainly deserves its classic rating (almost 50:50 with over 200 recorded playing on ROAR) and a tremendously enjoyable playing experience against a class opponent despite my personal position at end game. If you haven't tried this one (and it looks as if there are few that haven't), it's well worth the perusal.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J5: Bizory Loves Company

Is this an unbalanced dog or what? ROAR showed 29 German wins to 11 for the Americans. So I took the Americans, checked AARs, and strove to compensate for reported weaknesses. My dice were good! I made a few mistakes, but so did the other guy (John Stadick). In the end, he won half way through the penultimate turn (7) with enough VP still on board to possibly break the balance provision too. Nuts!

I staffed the northern crossroads with dummies. It worked; the Germans approached with caution and I lost only those two required HS sentries. My 10-2 and .50 cal, entrenched in woods about mid board, broke a 6-5-8 that ran into their bore sighted hex. From that point forward, the Krauts stayed off that central road. Their infantry came forward with tank support through the leafless orchard while those awesome AA halftracks and captured US halftracks drove in circles behind. Further south, American infantry dashed across the central road to set up an MMG and bazooka in that lonely stone building overwatching the open ground.

The paratroopers stuffed the German advance in the woods with lots of point blank fire and gave as good as they got in close combat. In the end, that fight was a wash; each side lost about four squads and the Germans moved too slowly to exit.

The open area was predictably different. Even with the 10-2, .50 cal and the MMG, protected by earth and stone, the Americans were no match for those THREE AA halftracks and two MMGs directed by the German 9-2, just too much long-range firepower. Yes, those AA halftrack are vulnerable, but they can easily stand-off beyond U.S. rifle range and just accept the penalty of firing through three hexes of orchard to whack their entrenched/stone target with a 20+5/+6 shot at ROF 3; that’s like 4 or 2 flat over and over again, certain to succeed, eventually. In essence, the Germans can create FOUR bases of fire each capable of cranking out 20 FP with high ROF! All screened by SMOKE from the tanks. For the most part, I skulked to avoid all that flying lead. My .50 cal, however, stayed put in a foxhole until it broke around turn 4 under one of many 6 or 8 shots (+1 to +3) from infantry brave enough to put their chin on the hedgerow at mid-board, or tanks with machine guns. The looming threat of my bazookas held the tanks at bay. And, I did manage to immobilize an AA halftrack and KIA a 6-5-8, along with a few breaks. But at some point, you have to face the music, otherwise the Germans will just cross the open ground. And that’s all it took, one German fire phase on turn 5 to obliterate two Bazooka teams and the MMG team, opening the path for German forward movement.

From then on, the Germans rushed the board edge to exit. Those captured U.S. halftracks just drove off, and even if I had another bazooka, and it hit, I could only have stopped one. My last bazooka did fire on a tank, but missed. It later hit an AA halftrack while the rifle squad whiffed a 7 FP shot at another. Alas, the Germans exited enough to win with a full game turn remaining.

One could rebalance this by giving the Germans normal VP, rather than double, for US casualties and/or deleting one of those AA haltracks. As is, the Americans are bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Attachments

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I had another rarity occur to me in the final round of the Sioux City Street Fighting tournament. I had the Russians in MM28 SONDERKOMMANDO BENESCH. I had a three hex strongpoint guarding the center of the map. The strongpoint had two trenches and a pillbox occupying three hexes; two woods and one open ground. A commissar, 447 and MMG were in the pillbox from the start. Other units fell back to the strongpoint. The strongpoint was doing a fair job of slowing down the assault of elite well-equipped Germans. Eventually I had only one trench still occupied with the commissar, a 458 with MMG, a 527 and a hero. Several German attacks broke the MMC; they were forced to surrender, leaving only the commissar and the hero. The hero recovered the MMG, so for the first time that I can remember, I had two SMC operating a MMG together. Luckily, the Germans could not go into CC against them just yet. The two SMC with the MMG helped to delay the Germans for an additional turn to help win the scenario for the Russians.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Phew! That was too close for comfort...

It seems that the last two Russian left standing were facing evil things - alone just looking at that FT with three visible underscores and what appears to be a 'fanatic' flag.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Phew! That seemed too close for comfort...

It seems that the last two Russian left standing were facing evil things - alonge ust looking at that FT with three visible underscores and what appears to be a 'fanatic' flag.

von Marwitz
Good eye. The FT was owned by a fanatic 8-3-8.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played O10 City on theEdge, a relatively compact October 44 scenario where the German player has to clear a urban area within board 68. As my opponent would say, the scenario looks simple but it isn't. As the OBs on both sides are not so large, either side can pay mistakes dearly. A SSR forces US tanks to set up motion, hide US SWs and provide quite a few "?" for some extra puzzle for the attacker. Interesting. What is problematic for such a compact format is the King Tiger. It should be a driving force for the German attack except that it rolled a 12 on the first shot. Left to their own devices, the StuGs are not well suited to challenge the two U.S. tanks and these provided the necessary extra firepower to beat back the German infantry. A fair scenario.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played WCW10 Stand and Die, an early war Chinese vs Japanese scenario. This was a Fiesta of Malfunction, with about half the malfunctionable weapons broken at one time, most to not come back. In the end, that hurt the Japanese more since they didn't have what they needed to kill Chinese tin cans and get the CVP. Seems tough on the Japanese, who have fewer squads and tanks despite being on the attack. Not the best of the WCM scenarios, but OK. Really liked Scotch on the Rocks and Eye of the Tiger.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Recently finished up AP12 CREAM OF THE CROP against a wonderful opponent. . If you haven't tried this one (and it looks as if there are few that haven't), it's well worth the perusal.
I played this a lot when it first was published and if offered, will play it again. Have not seen it played in quite a while.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We're finishing up Merzenhausen Zoo. It's a pretty epic scenario, lots of late war toys to play with, including multiple Crocs and King Tigers. There will be a full video AAR sometime down the road when we finish it up and I do video production.
Can't wait to see this!

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FF7 Monstir Gap - Scenario of the month for December
My Greeks stood tall and delayed Tom far longer than either of us expected. He managed to get two squads around the allied right which the Australian reinforcements easily sealed off from reaching the VC hexes given the little time left. However, the one issue which plagued me the entire scenario was ineffective fire. No matter the negative modifier, I couldn't force Tom to roll even a lowly PTC. The only German unit KIA was the 1/2 track by the ATR and only two broke the entire game. The end came when the Allied right was wiped out in a single fire phase by ROF in which I failed 4 NMC/1MC in a row. Sadly this was a game I was in position to win but the dice really did me no favors.

Looking at the reviews here it looks like this is a game where if the Greeks stand strong and allow the Australians to enter relatively unmolested then the Allies have a chance of victory. Otherwise, the Australian force has to little leadership to mount an effective counterattack.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always a fun scenario despite the ROAR record. Some scenarios are just too much fun to worry about balance
So very true, I always glance at ROAR but it is never the determining factor on play or don't play. If it looks fun and interesting I'm in! No matter how balanced ROAR says it is, if it looks boring I'll probably not waste my time.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just finished ASL90 Pride & Joy playing the Italians. Who managed to break their HMG on a 12 and then a repair roll of 6. My useless spaghetti eaters even managed to break an ATR and then roll a six on the repair roll.:rolleyes: Same for a MMG.

I had nothing left to put the hurt on the Greeks and they romped home for a win rolling two double ones on CC rolls just for style points.

Fun scenario if you get to play the Greeks with all that cavalry. Balanced? If the Italians get to keep their support equipment - yes.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Cpl Uhl and I just finished playing RO1 Blood on the Tracks and he won as the Russians.

I wanted to play the scenarios and picked this one because it had Stukas, armour - the lot. Looked like fun, until I read this thread:

Which was a bit of a shock. An error in the VC?

It was an OK start as Cpl Uhl missed a trick by not putting a HIP MMG and crew in E28 to stop me crossing the road. If he had it would have eaten up a turn (me having no at start armour) just trying to clear that.

One Stuka rolled snake eyes on the bomb to hit roll (scratch one Russian commissar) but there ended the fun for the Germans.

My 10-2 rolled boxcars on an NMC and then a six to die. My first radio contact roll was a double six followed by a six on the repair roll. There goes two of the best German assets. :rolleyes::eek:

I was heading for factory P24 The New Production shop using board edge creep and ran into some minefields in L24, L25 which halted the advance. My 10-2 was leading the way and died on his NMC caused by the mines. Then the Russian 9-2 made an appearance with an HMG and MMG in a trench in K33. With no OBA smoke I was not going to make it.

I switched to try to clear everything up to hexrow K but it was impossible. Cpl Uhl had put a tunnel in J32 plus the trench in K33. Putting bodies and wire in the way made it all impossible to get to. He was even getting ready lining up his Russians against the railway embankment in hexrow L to advance into hexrow K on his last advance phase. And yes - he was going through his own minefields to do that :rolleyes:

Reading the AAR thread makes me think that the scenario needs some tweaking. Or am I missing something? How did the playtesters win as the Germans?

I'd give it another go if the Russians had no tunnels (why ban sewer movement from turn 5 if there are still the tunnels?). Everything the German has starts onboard and the setup restrictions for the German go out the window (but still apply to the Russian) and the German sets up on or West of hexrow D. The VC of taking a multi hex building is just a joke - no way was that is going to be possible.

I was talking to someone about the scenario and they called Red Factories "MMP's most disappointing product". Sods law is that the first scenario that everyone plays is the one with the problems............

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played ROMA4 Mountain Marines yesterday and another miserable ASL experience 👍 Partly my bad play, my opponents good play, my bad dice and his good dice. Full house this time :)

Turn 1 end up CX'd at the end of the path Bd34 K4. Kill stack with 3 * 6-6-6's, 3 MMG's and an 8-0. Facing a concealed unit in 34 L0. I decided to prep rather than spread out. Let's get this over with quickly. I get a 1MC on his half squad with MMG and he rolls a three. His return fire - snake eyes. Two squads ELR everything else breaks.

Turn 3 I get into CC with the same half squad. We are both concealed - no ambush. Two 5-4-6's against one half squad - I was looking forward to getting a German MMG. Joe rolls boxcars. MMG and half squad withdraw to an open ground hex adjacent and then in their prep fire they break and ELR my two squads. :rolleyes:

That same half squad later rolls snake eyes on a MC to battle harden :mad:

My average CC rolls after 2 rolls was 11.5. Average MC at the end of the game was 9.5. My opponents was 5.5.

As I said to my opponent - he ruined my Xmas :eek:

Well played Tony, you moved those counters a lot better than me................

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played ROMA4 Mountain Marines yesterday and another miserable ASL experience 👍 Partly my bad play, my opponents good play, my bad dice and his good dice. Full house this time :)

Turn 1 end up CX'd at the end of the path Bd34 K4. Kill stack with 3 * 6-6-6's, 3 MMG's and an 8-0. Facing a concealed unit in 34 L0. I decided to prep rather than spread out. Let's get this over with quickly. I get a 1MC on his half squad with MMG and he rolls a three. His return fire - snake eyes. Two squads ELR everything else breaks.

Turn 3 I get into CC with the same half squad. We are both concealed - no ambush. Two 5-4-6's against one half squad - I was looking forward to getting a German MMG. Joe rolls boxcars. MMG and half squad withdraw to an open ground hex adjacent and then in their prep fire they break and ELR my two squads. :rolleyes:

That same half squad later rolls snake eyes on a MC to battle harden :mad:

My average CC rolls after 2 rolls was 11.5. Average MC at the end of the game was 9.5. My opponents was 5.5.

As I said to my opponent - he ruined my Xmas :eek:

Well played Tony, you moved those counters a lot better than me................
Just remember ...

It may stink either way it is just a perspective....