So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
[AP103] That Damned Bridge Face-to-face with Dave Stephens today and I had the Americans. A total dice out. I did not lose a squad, had one ELR failure only. Did not get to charge with my "Dare Death (obviously no Covid-19 in 1944)" Americans. WP was so-so. Cleared the mines on turn three to unleash the Shermans although the one with the leader had malfunctioned the MA. Dave for his part rolled boxcars six times on rally rolls. My rangers led by Captain Miller (I referred to him as Tom Hanks) shot exceptionally well. Anyway, the white flag went up after the U.S. prep fire on turn five.
I have not played it but looked at it a while ago as it was on the menu of a tournament. i had a good impression as it was original and quite a puzzle. Hope it gets more scrutiny.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Quick notes on the ones I have finished recent weeks

HF7 Gotta Get Out continuation of the playthrough of HF scenarios with my brother Teemu Lukkari. I was the defending Germans. Teemu made a methodical attack and took the railway station, but he ended up being too slow and I managed to use the reinforcing PzIVs to anchor my defense on the right side and Teemus last turn charge was shot into pieces. Ok scenario, but I like several of the Hatten scenarios better.

FrF33 Under the Northern Light PBEM game against Matias Dahlback, i commanded the attacking Finns. Matias made a dispersed setup and I cleared the factory part of the dual VC quite comfortably. By the time his reinforcements entered the guns were gone and I had some squads around the airfield. Matias made an attempt of it, but it was not possible to get anybody next to the airfield. If I was to play the German on this I would set up heavily to keep the factory, I think with a proper setup it would be quite hard for the Finns to root out the SS supported by two 105mm guns from there.

FrF69 To Ashes In this one I do not know who really is attacker or defender but I played a German against Michal Sedlakco who commanded the British. This scenario an unique challenge!

I managed to win but I must say I would have a much better idea what to do after one playing. It was a true challenge to get something useful out of the 88mm AA guns wen attacking. Lost one before I could unload it when the towing vehicle was destroyed, the other I go into position and it started spectacularly when it scored a CH against a Carrier - they are still looking for the Carrier crew today 80 years later.. Highlights of the game included British gun destroying both German guns on the setup area, and two Kfz 13 armored cars in a single prep fire Phase. Michal is now know as "snake-eye Sedlakco" around here.

HF8 Fahrenheit 352 Me and Teemu wrapped our Hatten scenarios. I played the Germans on the defense but I did not mind as you get a couple of FlammHetzers! Teemu was more aggressive than last time and I was in a difficul position, the Fort I had a 2 squad over stack in a hex with heroic German as I ran out of Routing options. I rallied some of the squads and as Teemu had couple of squads in adjacent hexes I decided to go for 30+3 spraying fire attack - and rolled snakes!! That result meant that Teemu lost the chances to stay in the Fort. I won, but that one lucky dice roll after rallying couple of squad who were under DM before the shot meat it was a lucky one- Teemu played a better game but I diced him in the end.

Hatten has a very good set of scenarios, one of the best official modules in this regard.

Last edited:

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
HOB LM 1: Recruiting Tactics. My regular VASL opponent suggested this scenario from the Long March scenario pack published eons ago by Heat of Battle. It was my turn to defend so I setup the Red Chinese ambush along the south side of the board 43 road. Most of my first turn force entered on the western board edge, a solitary squad entered in the middle to cover the road entry. Dave came on with most of force in the middle and smaller supporting elements on each flank. Things hotted up in turn 2 when he hit the ambush. I was in the boxseat from the start when Dave rolled boxcars on his first morale check and then I caught a leader and squad moving in the open. By the end of turn 2 I'd accrued 5 cvp and lost none. Turn 3 Dave re-positioned to renew the attack and I fell back to a position roughly along the Board seam. Turn 4 it was all over. I killed one conscript squad on a snakes in the movement phase and second conscript broke and disrupted in a position where it would have to surrender. At this stage I was up 9 cvp to zero and the prisoner would give me another 4 - Dave conceded. An interesting infantry only scenario -concluded in one session of barely 2 hours (with tea break).The luck definitely went my way, particularly when I was taking negative modifier shots, where I always seemed to roll low.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Quicl notes on the ones I have finished recent weeks...

I managed to win but I must say I would have a much better idea what to do after one playing. It was a true challenge to get something useful out of the 88mm AA guns wen attacking. Lost one before I could unload it when the towing vehicle was destroyed, the other I go into position and it started spectacularly when it scored a CH against a Carrier - they are still looking for the Carrier crew today 80 years later.
Need to look in France, not Belgium.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I have not played it but looked at it a while ago as it was on the menu of a tournament. i had a good impression as it was original and quite a puzzle. Hope it gets more scrutiny.
I was inspired to take a look at AP103 based on the discussion. Looks interesting. Will add it to my playlist.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
J69 The Army at the Edge of the World is an awesome scenario from way back. France v IJA in Indochina. The first roll of the dice saw it start to rain and increased turn 5. First MC the French took got a IJA sniper result that took out the French 9-2. The squad manning the MMG broke (LLMC). The IJA pretty much ignored the VC buildings on the hill and make as best he could down the length of the road. The French are under ammo shortage and they lost the big MTR, the small MTR, an LMG, and two squads reduced. The French took a couple of squads from board 2 and made a beeline for the one wood building on board 35 and got there one sep in front of the IJA. The French on board 15 also made for the board 35 building. This thing was a bloody affair with several deadly HtH CC. Each side had like 6-8 MMC each (several half squads and several reduced IJA). The IJA were in it to the end but in the end the French just held on for the win. Super fun scenario

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RF CG 1, Red Factories.

This is a four player effort with Al and I against the Stanhagen brothers. Al is facing Neil in the Barricady while Danny and I go at it in the Red Oktybr area. So far we’ve played the first two of five campaign days. On 11 November the Soviets won the day in the Barricady with a German victory in the Steel Works. 12 November found the Germans winning both sectors, but with a Pyrrhic victory in the south. The action will continue at a later time and place.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curtis & I just finished off AP133 TWO THE HARD WAY from the last Action Pack. This I thought was an interesting scenario that really presented me, the Germans, an challenging puzzle of how to set up a respectable defense with few troops (half 2nd line), average to generally poor leadership and with two out of 4 PBs available, that although containing 105mm HOWs, are facing in the wrong direction (part of the VC & set up restrictions) against a strong well led American force. That force contains DC's, a FT, a Hero and plenty of firepower not to mention half of the units are Elite including AEs & sappers as well as containing an M4A1 Medium Tank. If that weren't enough, the Germans have no PFs available. I was able to purchase various other force multipliers such as mines, wire, fortified building locations, etc. but my other 2 PBs & 8 trenches were restricted to set up in a specified area. The battle-space is depicted by the use of 2 half boards, 66 & 3 (including the 3M2 building and the 2 major hills) with the Americans able to enter almost at your door step.

Some of the choices for the defense are almost no-brainers such as defending the 3M2 building to the last as it's a DIP (Die In Place) mission to delay the G.I.s and using your remaining 2 PBs & trenches to defend Hill 547, the challenge how to maximize the effect of every unit your given; it's no time to just let the crews of the 105s hunker down in their +7 NCA PBs as they must be an active part of your defense plan. The Americans as well must get the very best use of his units even though 7 turns initially seems adequate for the task(s) at hand (?). The hero with a morale of 9 is a natural choice to hump the FT but the you don't want to expose him to fire too soon with that weapon, so you may lose his all important -1 pip to multi-location FGs as 20+ FGs were not an uncommon occurrence for them; your choice has to be very well thought out. Use of the AE/sappers is also critical as they will be breaching or at least searching for minefields. In the end I was able to hold out but only because of a couple of lucky events: his tank running afoul of an A-T mine, a prolonged defense of 3M2, and his Hero dieing to a wound check. I sweated every DR we made for whatever reason. I give this a solid recommend though I feel Curtis probably less so.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got together with Rich D. yesterday and we played ASL252 Ultimate Treachery. We plsayed it twice with my French winning the first time around by putting the japs over their cvp cap. The IJA has to be careful with his CC's in this scenario and instead try to overwhelm the French with Firepower. We both decided to turn the scenario around with me taking the japs. The scenario went the full five turns with my IJA managing to take the 41 locations and losing around 14 cvp. Close one for the japs in this playing.

In both of our playings, the IJA smoke never showed up, in the first playing the IJA rolled too high to get WP and smoke and in our 2nd playing it started raining on the very first turn. This was my first time playing this scenario and both Rich and I really liked it. As a side note, Does the French FT-17M have a radio?

Scott

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Got together with Rich D. yesterday and we played ASL252 Ultimate Treachery. We plsayed it twice with my French winning the first time around by putting the japs over their cvp cap. The IJA has to be careful with his CC's in this scenario and instead try to overwhelm the French with Firepower. We both decided to turn the scenario around with me taking the japs. The scenario went the full five turns with my IJA managing to take the 41 locations and losing around 14 cvp. Close one for the japs in this playing.

In both of our playings, the IJA smoke never showed up, in the first playing the IJA rolled too high to get WP and smoke and in our 2nd playing it started raining on the very first turn. This was my first time playing this scenario and both Rich and I really liked it. As a side note, Does the French FT-17M have a radio?

Scott
it just don't seem right for the IJA to have a CVP cap. IJA should be penalized for have any troops left ;)

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
it just don't seem right for the IJA to have a CVP cap. IJA should be penalized for have any troops left ;)
They also aren't allowed to banzai by SSR! Outrage piled upon outrage.

When I played it, my IJA opponent also got no smoke, which makes it tough. We played the old French tank as radioless, but considering its MP, you probably want to set it up like it will never move anyway.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP 149 Kock Strong - This evening Tom and I completed our play through of all the BFP PiF scenarios. Having won the last two scenarios I had some momentum going into this face off. However, Tom had the German's back and I feared the mass, fire power and mobility of this force all of which were superior to my defending Poles would be to much. I was right. This scenario was decided on turn 2 when Tom's flanking force of AC drove right by the defending AT gun and into my rear. I fired, miss, no rate. IF fire miss, and then waved. Next turn I got an ATR over to that flank and began moving the AT gun into a new firing position, but the damage was done, my Turn 3 reinforcements would have to fight their way on and that spells your doom in this scenario. My long range MMG fire was also bust as it never held RoF and it succeeded in pinning two squads before the mortars and threat of artillery drove them from their perches. An so it ends with an easy victory for the Germans.

Tom and I had a great time playing this superb pack, and I will post a larger review on the Archives later this week.

Next up Brevity Assault!

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curtis & I just finished off AP133 TWO THE HARD WAY from the last Action Pack. This I thought was an interesting scenario that really presented me, the Germans, an challenging puzzle of how to set up a respectable defense with few troops (half 2nd line), average to generally poor leadership and with two out of 4 PBs available, that although containing 105mm HOWs, are facing in the wrong direction (part of the VC & set up restrictions) against a strong well led American force. That force contains DC's, a FT, a Hero and plenty of firepower not to mention half of the units are Elite including AEs & sappers as well as containing an M4A1 Medium Tank. If that weren't enough, the Germans have no PFs available. I was able to purchase various other force multipliers such as mines, wire, fortified building locations, etc. but my other 2 PBs & 8 trenches were restricted to set up in a specified area. The battle-space is depicted by the use of 2 half boards, 66 & 3 (including the 3M2 building and the 2 major hills) with the Americans able to enter almost at your door step.

Some of the choices for the defense are almost no-brainers such as defending the 3M2 building to the last as it's a DIP (Die In Place) mission to delay the G.I.s and using your remaining 2 PBs & trenches to defend Hill 547, the challenge how to maximize the effect of every unit your given; it's no time to just let the crews of the 105s hunker down in their +7 NCA PBs as they must be an active part of your defense plan. The Americans as well must get the very best use of his units even though 7 turns initially seems adequate for the task(s) at hand (?). The hero with a morale of 9 is a natural choice to hump the FT but the you don't want to expose him to fire too soon with that weapon, so you may lose his all important -1 pip to multi-location FGs as 20+ FGs were not an uncommon occurrence for them; your choice has to be very well thought out. Use of the AE/sappers is also critical as they will be breaching or at least searching for minefields. In the end I was able to hold out but only because of a couple of lucky events: his tank running afoul of an A-T mine, a prolonged defense of 3M2, and his Hero dieing to a wound check. I sweated every DR we made for whatever reason. I give this a solid recommend though I feel Curtis probably less so.
I know a lot of players will be put off by the possible German 'Insta-loss'--but I am glad you took the chance on something different. (And the fact that you enjoyed it more as the Germans makes me feel even better.)

But I think overall that victory condition makes for some much more interesting defensive strategy for a scenario that looks at first blush like a traditional static defense. You need to chew up the clock, but can't take too many chances either, as you just don't have a lot (and losing good leaders is especially bad.)

While it won't see a lot of tournament lists, 'sweating every DR' is really all a scenario designer needs to hear.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know a lot of players will be put off by the possible German 'Insta-loss'--but I am glad you took the chance on something different. (And the fact that you enjoyed it more as the Germans makes me feel even better.)

But I think overall that victory condition makes for some much more interesting defensive strategy for a scenario that looks at first blush like a traditional static defense. You need to chew up the clock, but can't take too many chances either, as you just don't have a lot (and losing good leaders is especially bad.)

While it won't see a lot of tournament lists, 'sweating every DR' is really all a scenario designer needs to hear.
Yes, I didn't see the insta-Surrender ever being possible until at least Turn 5 or better with a reasonable defensive strategy and then the Americans would have had to have been quite lucky or the German defense quite flawed. I saw the possibility of the Germans being able to inflict 23+ CVP as fairly doable but it would be close. As I have intimated EVERY counter use must be scrutinized and used to its fullest potential. You have to bring an A game to this one and being lucky helps.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Played today the re-released First Day of Diadem [ASL251] with my usual F-to-F opponent, Dave Stephens. He last played the original against Darryl Wright. It was a great scenario going down to the last French prep and advancing fire shots but failing to knock down five points giving Dave the win with thirty points on the contested hill. I had decent artillery with six missions in four turns but it was tough to break the German eight morale squads as in four missions I had to use harassing fire which cut my 20 FP by a third. The reverse was true for Dave as my men passed most MC's but did not fare as well in close combat where Dave's 3:2 advantage in squads prevailed. I probably should have routed more than risk CC but that is pure speculation.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
BFP 149 Kock Strong - This evening Tom and I completed our play through of all the BFP PiF scenarios. Having won the last two scenarios I had some momentum going into this face off. However, Tom had the German's back and I feared the mass, fire power and mobility of this force all of which were superior to my defending Poles would be to much. I was right. This scenario was decided on turn 2 when Tom's flanking force of AC drove right by the defending AT gun and into my rear. I fired, miss, no rate. IF fire miss, and then waved. Next turn I got an ATR over to that flank and began moving the AT gun into a new firing position, but the damage was done, my Turn 3 reinforcements would have to fight their way on and that spells your doom in this scenario. My long range MMG fire was also bust as it never held RoF and it succeeded in pinning two squads before the mortars and threat of artillery drove them from their perches. An so it ends with an easy victory for the Germans.

Tom and I had a great time playing this superb pack, and I will post a larger review on the Archives later this week.

Next up Brevity Assault!
Gasp, Tom is a machine. I would have thought after a weekend at Stalingrad you'd catch him fatigued and prone to mistakes. Maybe you need to chow down on pierogis before playing him but then again, like me, you no longer live in Oil City, PA.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno and I played 209 A LINE TOO THINLY HELD. I had the American defenders. I tried to hunker my main force in a reverse slope defence. This takes the NK OBA and AA weapons out of the battle, but doesn't allow the Americans to fail too many MC. The left flank force tried to join the main force, but only the 4 AFV made it there. The NVR of 6 means the NK MG can take shots at the meat-choppers from a distance while cannon fodder keeps the bullets away from the NK MG. For the first time in a night scenario I had a squad become a casualty when it strayed into enemy lines. My defence held for awhile. The first wave of NK suffered, but the second wave fared better. On NK4, one of the meat-choppers broke its MA. I lost a Pershing to CC, but an American squad in CC won its CC. The aforementioned halftrack was immobilized and then became a burning wreck in CC of NK5. One squad is in Melee that will continue to the end. On NK6, an MG shot burns the second meat-chopper. During A6, the NK MG break a squad and a half that I had just rallied and were supposed to come back to the hill. During the CC of A6, the last American squad on the hill dies in CC to give the NK their immediate win.

I hope to hear of someone trying a hilltop defence in this scenario to see if it fares better.

Last edited:

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Completed ASL153 "Totsugeki!" in the Illuminating Round VASL tournament. My Chinese forces won on the very last CC! .. ASL at it's finest. Games in progress:
WO3 "Counterattack At Carentan"
J88 "Escape to Wiltz"
SP37 "Last Stand At Iserlon" and SP 38 "Led To The Slaughter" [Don Holland and I are playing through all the Schwerpunkt scenarios]
OS 2 "The Wolf's Howl" [vs Euan Denniston .. CG to follow]
FB3 "Furor Hungaricus" [vs Euan Denniston .. CG to follow]
BoF 2 "A Polish Requiem"
ASL 233 "Failure to Communicate"
ASL 204 "Human Bullets"

Roll 'em low Berserkers!
Pierce