So what scenarios have you played Recently?

buser333

Reaction score
Was The Cemetery the Rout Report version of this fight?
I always liked that.
Yes, it certainly looks that way. Had this all setup to start when I was helping teach an opponent night rules, but he decided to play a different scenario. I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to play this.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, it certainly looks that way. Had this all setup to start when I was helping teach an opponent night rules, but he decided to play a different scenario. I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to play this.
First Night scenario I ever played. Jeff Thompson schooled me something fierce as he took out one squad after another and I never saw the enemy coming. Best part was that we played by candlelight as the power went out right as we were starting. Great ambiance for getting my butt kicked!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the last of a trilogy of scenarios OA21 Gunter Strikes Back. In the first two, the Germans defended an airstrip. This time they are on the attack trying to take it back with a mixed force of infantry and armor vs a small group of British troops and a Sherman. With 4.5 turns to get to a building at the center of the playing area, I pushed my Germans pretty hard the first two turns. My friend's rolls were very good throughout the game but his forces were pretty spread out. Mine skewed slightly above average, so much so that on turn three I I felt had to make a desperate dash with my armor because I wasn't making much of a dent in his defenses and his outlying men were closing in. The one really bad roll my friend suffered was a 12 with his Sherman vs a halftrack on turn 2. Using that opening, I rushed up my armor and suffered several stuns but was able to UK the Sherman and freeze some squads in the victory building. I took one half of the building with a CC ambush on turn 3 and broke the adjacent squad in the other half of the building the following DFPh. After securing both hexes of the building, I knew it was over. There was no way the Brits were going to take back both hexes in their half of the turn. They made a valiant effort, but they came up just short. Pretty bloody scenario. I lost three of my four vehicles with the last one stunned and only had half of my infantry left. The Brits lost the Sherman to the UK and more than half of their infantry as well. Not a victory "by the books". I mean, using open top vehicles to freeze units isn't a very good strategy, but I lucked out by holding his line for one critical half turn before they were decimated. Somehow it worked. All three scenarios were very fun; very fast and intense. Nice job designing these three scenarios, Andrew Rogers!

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Taking Some Flak ASL J192 Finland, '44. Finns attack retreating SS troops, and try to cut the road, inflict CVP, or exit to cause more mayhem. I came on from the southeast, and had the T1 reinforcements come from the west. I got lucky early, eliminating the SS 9-1 and MMG. After that, the Finns took and ROF flaying from the Sdkfz 7/1. For several turns, I tried to eliminate that beast It was Immo'ed early on, but blasted away afterwards. Finally, two HS and the MTR crew killed it with direct fire. Elsewhere in the woods, I was lucky in CC, using stealth to my advantage for once. I exited nobody, but won on CVP by one point.
Nice little fight in the woods.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
At ASLOK:

Played Gavin Take as a 3 player with my fiance who had never played before and a fairly new player. Won as the Americans, but it was a close game.
Played ASL C - Streets of Stalingrad. I have played Guards and Tractor Works before. Had never combined them. Total slug-fest. Called it a draw when I finally had to go home to go back to real life. Fun times, though. Gained some appreciation of what a protracted CG in Stalingrad would feel like to play. Yeah... not ready yet.

olli

Elder Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Played twice the first scenario in the latest Lone Canuck pack , Race for the Muese. I won as both sides against my long time opponent Dave Blackwood , both times rolling Snakes in CC and generating an 8-1 and an 8-0 both times turned the game for me and Dave is a good player. But he knows me and Snakes/ROF very well!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a strange scenario AP28 The Hunters Become the Hunted. My friend and I had a bad experience with this one. Our first clue should have been the dearth of recorded playings in ROAR. There are less than 10 for a 12 year-old official product. The VC needed to be a bit more clear. Too long to list here, but the issue was the Germans getting double VP for moving prisoners off the north edge. Due to the requirement that the Italians on board 41 start up in building hexes greater than or equal to six (even the MTR which is very odd), the Germans can pretty much isolate that entire force on turn 1. Playing as the Germans, I hit the Italians on board 41 from the south and west edges effectively flanking that group. My friend valiantly tried pulling them back. Even though at one point I rolled two 12s in a row on shots, any MC roll pretty much met with certain failure. By turn 2 I had captured three full squads (two from disruption) without sustaining a loss. By the top of turn 3 (of 9), another squad was toast, I captured another disrupted conscript and also a leader. Here's where it got weird. I was pretty much right next to the north edge of the board from the start. Nowhere does it say the Germans can't exit the board when they want so I moved all my units towards the north edge of board 41. I lost one half squad trying to run from board 49 to catch up to the other units, but that was it. Had we not quit at that point, on turn 4 virtually all of my men could have exited. With those prisoners in tow, I would have had 18 points plus two more from eliminating one of the squads. All the Germans needed was 10 more CVPs than the Italians. Adding in the 5 points the Italians would get for controlling the castle and the Italians would still come up short. I think the implied intent was A26.221 where only the guards could exit. We talked about that, but figured that even if only a few half squad guards exited and the rest stayed, the firepower from the Germans if they consolidated in that section would be too much for the Italians to overcome. No need to even storm the castle. We ended up calling it a bust and just moved on. Maybe a little SSR or VC tidying up would help. At least I got to use overlay 6 (an almost full half board overlay) for the first time - even though I only moved one unit on to it!

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Melee for Hill 700 DB148 Bougainville, March '44 The Japanese had attacked the night before and gotten a foothold on the hill, now the US must clear the bunkers and trenches. The two sides set up almost on top of each other, complete with trenches that could connect. But the US gets to shoot first.
The battle raged back and forth in the trenches. My Stuart got immo'ed by the 20mm ATR early. I made some progress, then ran into the HIP IJA flamethrower..... US firepower was telling, especially with canister depletion at 10! But, the last bunker, at W7, could not be taken on the last turn. Japanese victory.
Nice, snapshot in time, type scenario.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played T3 Ranger Stronghold as the attacking Germans as is. I played this ancient scenario long before I became ancient! I know of the change they made for Yanks but the win percentage is now actually even higher for the Germans in the new version (although with considerably less playings). A 9-2 vs a 10-3 seemed like more fun anyway. I have to say, I was not fairing well for the first half of the scenario. Open ground and a good defense slowed my advance. Sometimes, though, my friend gets too aggressive on defense and so it was in this scenario. He moved a couple of bazooka teams and the 10-3 leader forward to take out my tanks. Both were UKed but luck was with me and they both recovered the subsequent RPh. Prep fire broke the men and the 10-3 then the rout was on. I thought I would have had an easier time of it. If the Americans would have just held their ground, I think my friend may have pulled the upset and moved that German win percentage just a hair down. Nice, fast, no frills scenario with no SSRs (except for EC and wind). Good scenario if you're short on time.