So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First Timers from Hatten in Flames. Played last Saturday against Scott R as out monthly Saturday scenario. This is my third scenario from Hatten in Flames and I've enjoyed all of them so far.

I had the Germans, the infantry fight didn't go too well-I found myself spread out too thinly to get effective fire group shots as the +1 LV made most of my fire ineffective. I also had 3 squads and the 8-0 cut off from the rest of my units because they were trapped on the opposite side of the road that runs down the middle of the victory building area and try as I might, I couldn't get across the road.

The armor battle saw me lose a PzIV to a 75 Sherman-I figured between the LV, some orchards, his BU status and my movement he wouldn't hit me and if he did I had a good chance of survival. Well, he fired, and of course hits the turret and knocks me out. I then took out this tank with a 3 hex range Panzerfaust shot on his turn. The Psk took out the other 75 Sherman on the edge of town. His two 76 Shermans were menacing the "Fort" and my surviving PzIV was hiding on the opposite side of this building when I broke the MA firing at a stack of US infantry that was 1 hex away.

The last turn for the Germans saw me faced with the US controlling 11 of the 13 buildings. Scott asked me if I wanted to concede and I almost did. However, after studying the map for a couple minutes I saw a very slim path to victory. I advanced into CC against 2 hexes. I would be outnumbered but if I could win the ambush and declare Hand to Hand CC, I stood a good enough chance of killing enough of his squads and hopefully regain control of at least one building-that he wouldn't be in a position to get the 13 buildings for a win. Unfortunately, the gods of CC were not with me and Scott managed to not get ambushed and to kill all of my units while enough of his guys survived that I couldn't stop him. I was a great game. We have Black Day in Hatten up next for this month. I've got the Americans and am looking forward to attacking on this map for the first time.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
True Grit DTF-3. Java, ‘42, IJA infantry force with air support vs Dutch KNIL with artillery. The IJA came on like a tidal wave, down the board 58 hill, and up the 8bCC9 hill. The first part of my defense fell back, to the gun line. But the artillery did little. Smoke from the 50mm MTRs and Banzai charges steadily pushed the Dutch back, inflicting plenty of casualties too. But, I was able to get the reinforcements on with out much trouble. The K51s didn’t hit much, then left.

Still looked like a Japanese victory, but the Smoke all ran out at once, and the last turn Banzai got shot to ribbons by the KNIL who could suddenly shoot straight. The IJA took 6 of the 8 needed buildings.

Great scenario.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J171 Whom Gods Destroy...
each side has a equitable chance to win with a bit of diplomacy and trash talking as the cherry on the cake. A very good choice although longer than the dogs of war.
Cool!
It was designed to be a bit more of a bar brawl than “DoW”.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Death From Above FrF 94 Soviet Cavalry attack a German airfield, defended by mostly Romanian troops, and three aircraft that can get in the air and fight back. Russia '42. I had a pretty good defense set up. The Russians came on, mostly on board 62, and the race to outflank one another began. I felt good that my opponent had to unhook 2 of his 3 guns fairly early, which means their wagons are recalled. I decided to go after the two guns with my first aircraft aloft. (We played with the BFP Hs 123 and Hs 129 counters, but used the generic FB 39 and 42 values.) And the 37mm AA promptly shot it down.... More maneuvering, still doing well. The second aircraft goes up, kills some cavalry, and gets into range of the 37mm.... And goes down in flames. (The third aircraft was told to fly back to Berlin.)
Still in good shape, Russians are getting closer, but aren't gonna be able to get close to the parked airplanes. Then the remaining towed Soviet gun, a 76mm INF gun, unhooks in front of one o my 20mm AA gun. But my AA guys couldn't take them out. The 76mm then hits, and destroys a parked Hs129. From 13 hexes away. Through a +2 hindrance... Soviet Victory.
The crew of the 37mm AA gun was last seen painting, "biplane killa!" on their still warm gun barrel.

Great scenario.

wrongway149

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Good Shepherd is a deluxe scenario from Operation Veritable. The Canadians need four of six multi-hex buildings with their opposition being almost a dozen 447s, several ? counters at start, minefields, a INF 75 gun and a late model StuG. The Canadians have their elite squads along with three Shermans and a pesky Wasp to crack the defensive puzzle. My opponent skillfully mopped up my forces and admittedly I didn't play so great in comparison. However I would definitely play again, as either side.
One of my favorite small deluxe scenarios

wrongway149

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I liked FISH TO FRY. I think the North Korean thinks BURN THE CLOCK and everything that they do is oriented towards that goal. Yes the Marines
have LOTS of firepower and virtually unstoppable tanks from the North Koreans perspective. But they don't have time. Yes there is the punching bag thing
but you have to redefine victory as in DELAY the Marines and burn the clock.

Out of respect to my past, I can't take anything against the USMC. I'm liking the Korean module more and more....
Hey Mark -You will like ' Corps Value' from the new WO pack. It is roughly this same action, but with a few different twists.
Let me know what you think!

-Pete

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In preparation for my first CG (Primosole Bridge), Steve Bond and I played J95 Typical German Response over the course of the last two Fridays on VASL. Steve is now my "regular" opponent, and it is very cool that the internet and VASL allows this possibility, despite a time difference of +19 hours.

I took the Germans with the balance, and didn't expect to fare well in the scenario (ROAR has this tilted towards the British). I was aggressive and tried to use my numeric squad advantage to its best effect. Fortune smiled on my when, during an early turn (3?), I was in CC in two different locations, and rolled snakes for both CC. All of a sudden, I began to think that victory was not such a far fetched idea.

By the end of the scenario, I had broken or eliminated every single British unit on board, and still managed to find a way to lose by forgetting about the VC hex hidden under a burnt out wreck. Oh, the emptiness in my soul upon this recognition. I had a HS guarding a full squad of prisoners in an adjacent hex that didn't even bother moving the turn before.

Lesson (hopefully) learned. We embark upon PBr CG3 this Friday!

Alan

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By the end of the scenario, I had broken or eliminated every single British unit on board, and still managed to find a way to lose by forgetting about the VC hex hidden under a burnt out wreck. Oh, the emptiness in my soul upon this recognition. I had a HS guarding a full squad of prisoners in an adjacent hex that didn't even bother moving the turn before.
Alan, we've all been there before. There's always the next scenario!

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Robin popped over this afternoon, and we got in 2 complete turns of ASL-010 "The Citadel".

We are playing this on an enlarged VASL map, with parallel actual boards for doing LOS. The playing experience is a nice one indeed….

John.

MarkDV

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Mark -You will like ' Corps Value' from the new WO pack. It is roughly this same action, but with a few different twists.
Let me know what you think!

-Pete
Wayne B, one of my erstwhile opponents, showed me the scenario. I intend to play it with him next time we see each other

I DO like variable OB options bummer the Marines couldn't have gotten that but I get why NOT.....

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Corps Value [WO32] I finally won one of the new WO pack scenarios as the U.S.M.C. yesterday having lost all previous scenarios in this pack. Very interesting scenario with lots of options for the bad guys. The U.S. must try to capture prisoners and buildings for points and not lose CVP's. Through two turns and a cautious advance I had broken many of the North Koreans and had the game well in hand until two DC heroes destroyed one tank while an AT mine destroyed my dozer for a quick 15 CVP swing putting the issue in doubt. The North Koreans can purchase a variety of items and it takes a lot of searching to find out just what you are confronting. My Flame Thrower tank did terrific duty and managed to stay alive and was the decisive factor in the game with a two point spread between victory and loss. Very helpful was the 768 Marine squads that breakdown into three 248's (one to hold prisoners, one to search and one to keep plodding forward.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I enjoyed RPT158 Hungarian Hetzers at our Twin Cities monthly shindig with Mark Harms. Attacking Russian (5 x tanks; 8 x squads) versus Hungarians (3 x Hetzers and 6 x squads). 4.5 turns for the Hungarians to have at least one unbroken MMC in any stone building on the 1a/9a board village smack dab in the center. PLUS, at least one of the three Hetzers needs to exit on the friendly Hungarian board edge on T2 or later.

Hungarians set up in and around the village -- I think a smart move. Any upfront screening force would likely just get blasted and the Hungarians need the bodies for the village defense. It took a solid two turns for the Russians to get to the rim of the village, even the AFV carrying riders. Some minor action saw both sides lose abut two squads and it was going to be a challenge to break the remaining folks in the village. Sensing that, the main Soviet attention was now directed to the elimination of the Hetzers. One was lurking near the Hungarian board edge and two tanks were dispatched to ensure it did not escape. We traded some shots in T3 to no conclusion. The other two Hetzers were holed up in the village to prevent the Russians from achieving that part of the VC. However, with the village situation looking ok for the Hungarians, it became clear that the board edge Hetzer was in trouble and the others needed to roll. The Russians had gotten behind the defenders and were able to immobilize one and eventually knock out the other with ACPR. Finally, board edge Hetzer took an ACPR shot and was destroyed. So, without an ability to exit a tank, the Russians got a very tense win.

It was a really fun and tense game. I think the main takeaway was that getting a Hetzer off ASAP is key. Then the other two can blast away to their heart's content knowing that part of the VC is sealed. All in all, a fun, fast-playing scenario against a wonderful opponent on a frigid Minnesota Saturday. Thanks, Mark!

Cult.44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I enjoyed RPT158 Hungarian Hetzers at our Twin Cities monthly shindig with Mark Harms. Attacking Russian (5 x tanks; 8 x squads) versus Hungarians (3 x Hetzers and 6 x squads). 4.5 turns for the Hungarians to have at least one unbroken MMC in any stone building on the 1a/9a board village smack dab in the center. PLUS, at least one of the three Hetzers needs to exit on the friendly Hungarian board edge on T2 or later.

Hungarians set up in and around the village -- I think a smart move. Any upfront screening force would likely just get blasted and the Hungarians need the bodies for the village defense. It took a solid two turns for the Russians to get to the rim of the village, even the AFV carrying riders. Some minor action saw both sides lose abut two squads and it was going to be a challenge to break the remaining folks in the village. Sensing that, the main Soviet attention was now directed to the elimination of the Hetzers. One was lurking near the Hungarian board edge and two tanks were dispatched to ensure it did not escape. We traded some shots in T3 to no conclusion. The other two Hetzers were holed up in the village to prevent the Russians from achieving that part of the VC. However, with the village situation looking ok for the Hungarians, it became clear that the board edge Hetzer was in trouble and the others needed to roll. The Russians had gotten behind the defenders and were able to immobilize one and eventually knock out the other with ACPR. Finally, board edge Hetzer took an ACPR shot and was destroyed. So, without an ability to exit a tank, the Russians got a very tense win.

It was a really fun and tense game. I think the main takeaway was that getting a Hetzer off ASAP is key. Then the other two can blast away to their heart's content knowing that part of the VC is sealed. All in all, a fun, fast-playing scenario against a wonderful opponent on a frigid Minnesota Saturday. Thanks, Mark!
Really fun game and, yeah, I was cheeky not running that back-edge Hetzer off on T2. I thought it could prevail against a two-tank swarm if needed but that didn't work out.

vetsurg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dangerous Descent into Maggot Valley CtR-14 from Corregidor the Rock. Japanese won in the 5th turn by accumulating 14 CVP before the Yanks could take 4 guns and knock out 18 CVP. Love the map, really fun scenario. Even better, the scenario designer ASL Sarge hosted the game day and provided interesting comments on the scenario design, the Corregidor map development, and the battle’s historical info.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP Corregidor CtR7 Desperate Hours. An American win in a battle that saw nearly the whole OOB of each side eliminated. IJA had a very tough time entering the map. US mg's on the hill .. open ground .. boresighted hexes were not offset by the +1 LV and hammered the attackers as they tried to get to the actual hill mass. Finally packing into the woods on the base of the hill, a firefight broke out with each side taking heavy losses. Attempts by the IJA to move around each side of the hill never really worked as they were shot up trying. In the end all the main hill hexes were empty of US troops, but last charges towards the other two were met with 20+ firepower shots and the final attempts to gain that crest were repelled. A fun scenario, if the IJA does not get smoke, its going to be hard, the US has a major firepower advantage, and better terrain.

FrF 97 Wrecking the Rentals - Germans set up to guard the board V road heavily and the Russians chose to run the gap in Xv3 and made it, the Germans missing a schreck and several faust attempts. Trucks unloaded the infantry behind the woods line in hexrow X on board X, and they made their way on foot along the board edge, managing to make it unharmed to the J6 area, and move into the victory area with little bother.
The tank battle saw a lot of really high, and really low dice rolls, the Russians getting the better of it, two critical hits and a "3" TK dr knocking out the Marder and two of the German Panzers. With the infantry finding their way unharmed, as the Germans were never really able to reposition from guarding the road, and Russian tanks outnumbering the Panzers, the game was called in turn 5. I felt this scenario was a little scripted, although fun to use the Russian Lend Lease tanks.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Fish to Fry (RPT147) for the second time against Mark DeVries. I stated I would not do this scenario again but Mark talked me into it and I tried a different tactic with the North Koreans. I set up the majority of my units and fortifications at the very edge of my set up area on board 3a. Roadblocks set with guns in position to fire pointblank at flank or rear of any AFV that tried to clear them or get around them. MTR was set up on the hill to take the Marines under fire on the first turn-otherwise I wouldn't be firing at him as he came on board. I set up a squad, 2 HS and a leader and the board 5a hill far enough back that he couldn't drive tanks up to them on turn one but still close enough to threaten to take on of the buildings adjacent to the road.

Mark brought his forces on and the MTR went to work and immobilized the M4 Dozer tank. I also managed to break the stack of Marines with the 9-2 leader. My fire was ineffective on my turn and Mark stacked up acquisition counters on the MTR hex On Mark's 2 turn he smoked the MTR position and rallied the 9-2 and company. Later he broke the MTR crew and they were chased away from the MTR until the last NK turn when they rallied and made a mad dash to crew the MTR only to be killed by a CH for the immobile M4 Dozer. He drove an M26 right past an ATG in 5a hex L20 and even with the rear shots-I failed to damage it and the gun crew got killed by his infantry. I revealed another ATG in hex N4 after he parked the Zippo Sherman in M3 to toast my guys in the M4 trench. I got off 5 shots all with APCR and managed to shock the Zippo (which later died when it failed its UK roll). Mark sent his M26's through the brush in O1 (none bogged crossing the trench that was there and the squad in that hex failed to do anything in CC). The DC hero that was HIP in O3 charged at a parked M26 in P2 I survived all of his fire (including a hit with the MA) but failed miserably on the DC placement roll and the tank simply drove away in his movement phase. The ATG in N4 was taken out by a CH from an M26 that got 4 or 5 ROF with its MA. The third ATG never made it into play as he never moved anything into its LOS. Mark's sniper was red hot (it took out my 9-0 and broke a couple of squads at important times. My guys on board 5a got broken and then failed to rally for 4 rally phases (leader assisted and 8 morale-go figure). Mark never had to worry about any of the guys on that board being a late game threat. On the last turn I am down to 2 good order squads, one in P6 and one in 05. Mark had exited 4 tanks by this time and he threw his infantry at my last two guys. I managed to kill the DC totting Marine hero he rushed at me and most importantly pin the guys who got adjacent to P6. His advancing fire phase couldn't break these guys and I held on for a win-though it felt like a loss from the beating the NK has to endure.

After losing to Mark as the NK in the scenario earlier this year and not enjoying it at all I said I wouldn't play this on again. Mark talked me into it and I agreed partly because I felt I misplayed it the first time, partly because I know Mark loves using the Marines and partly because I wanted to replay this scenario without profuse whining. I think I pulled it off-I would rate the whining as only a 3 on a scale of 1-10 versus the 8 or 9 from our first game. Playing the North Korean in this scenario and losing is like being tied to a chair and kicked in the crotch by a hairy lumberjack wearing steel toed boots. Playing the North Korean and winning is like being tied to a chair and kicked in the crotch by a hot stripper wearing stiletto heels-neither are any fun but one is slightly better than the other.

Next up is Corps Value-same battle different designer. I've got the North Koreans again (did I mention Mark LOVES playing the Marines and as a testament to our more than 2 decades of gaming I let him have the Marines again).

MarkDV

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Fish to Fry (RPT147) for the second time against Mark DeVries. I stated I would not do this scenario again but Mark talked me into it and I tried a different tactic with the North Koreans. I set up the majority of my units and fortifications at the very edge of my set up area on board 3a. Roadblocks set with guns in position to fire pointblank at flank or rear of any AFV that tried to clear them or get around them. MTR was set up on the hill to take the Marines under fire on the first turn-otherwise I wouldn't be firing at him as he came on board. I set up a squad, 2 HS and a leader and the board 5a hill far enough back that he couldn't drive tanks up to them on turn one but still close enough to threaten to take on of the buildings adjacent to the road.

Mark brought his forces on and the MTR went to work and immobilized the M4 Dozer tank. I also managed to break the stack of Marines with the 9-2 leader. My fire was ineffective on my turn and Mark stacked up acquisition counters on the MTR hex On Mark's 2 turn he smoked the MTR position and rallied the 9-2 and company. Later he broke the MTR crew and they were chased away from the MTR until the last NK turn when they rallied and made a mad dash to crew the MTR only to be killed by a CH for the immobile M4 Dozer. He drove an M26 right past an ATG in 5a hex L20 and even with the rear shots-I failed to damage it and the gun crew got killed by his infantry. I revealed another ATG in hex N4 after he parked the Zippo Sherman in M3 to toast my guys in the M4 trench. I got off 5 shots all with APCR and managed to shock the Zippo (which later died when it failed its UK roll). Mark sent his M26's through the brush in O1 (none bogged crossing the trench that was there and the squad in that hex failed to do anything in CC). The DC hero that was HIP in O3 charged at a parked M26 in P2 I survived all of his fire (including a hit with the MA) but failed miserably on the DC placement roll and the tank simply drove away in his movement phase. The ATG in N4 was taken out by a CH from an M26 that got 4 or 5 ROF with its MA. The third ATG never made it into play as he never moved anything into its LOS. Mark's sniper was red hot (it took out my 9-0 and broke a couple of squads at important times. My guys on board 5a got broken and then failed to rally for 4 rally phases (leader assisted and 8 morale-go figure). Mark never had to worry about any of the guys on that board being a late game threat. On the last turn I am down to 2 good order squads, one in P6 and one in 05. Mark had exited 4 tanks by this time and he threw his infantry at my last two guys. I managed to kill the DC totting Marine hero he rushed at me and most importantly pin the guys who got adjacent to P6. His advancing fire phase couldn't break these guys and I held on for a win-though it felt like a loss from the beating the NK has to endure.

After losing to Mark as the NK in the scenario earlier this year and not enjoying it at all I said I wouldn't play this on again. Mark talked me into it and I agreed partly because I felt I misplayed it the first time, partly because I know Mark loves using the Marines and partly because I wanted to replay this scenario without profuse whining. I think I pulled it off-I would rate the whining as only a 3 on a scale of 1-10 versus the 8 or 9 from our first game. Playing the North Korean in this scenario and losing is like being tied to a chair and kicked in the crotch by a hairy lumberjack wearing steel toed boots. Playing the North Korean and winning is like being tied to a chair and kicked in the crotch by a hot stripper wearing stiletto heels-neither are any fun but one is slightly better than the other.

Next up is Corps Value-same battle different designer. I've got the North Koreans again (did I mention Mark LOVES playing the Marines and as a testament to our more than 2 decades of gaming I let him have the Marines again).
Says it all

I hoping our next playing I get the hot stripper....

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A small scenario that i played and enjoyed, mostly because of the dual VC feature.