So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ESG #54: Pulse of Steel

A Russian win coming right down to the last phase. Germans pushed hard up the non town side of the board, up and over the Board 11 hill going all out for the exit win. They clashed with the Russian force right at the exit hex as both sides traded blows. Germans were not able to get the infantry VC off for the win, a tight Russian victory. A cool OOB for both sides (as per usual from ESG) and lots of action

ITR-6 The Ceramic Factory

An SS win. SS set up light in the small factory and heavy in the big factory. Wire and a hero held up the Russian attack on the small factory, and the Russians didn't have enough manpower to take the large one. Is this scenario pro SS? Yeah, it probably is a bit, but it sure is fun to play. Many of you have probably played this, many of you may have heard/seen it played. Its a classic. Give it a try.

Both of these scenarios, while not "monsters", are large enough to give you the full spectrum of ASL fun. All sorts of stuff is going to happen in a scenario as large as these. Truly a challenge to play. You'll learn a lot playing.

Steve Etz

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Yesterdays game was DTF-5 AK'44 against Mikko "not quite Tuomo" Lukkari.
I was the SS and Mikko Partisans. I purchased FT and 2 DCs for the at start force and a FT for my reinforcements. Mikko had a mixed bag of PIATs, PSKs and an extra MMG for the Partisans. This was a very tense game which went right down the last possible CC roll, I needed to roll a 3 or less to eliminate a Partisan Squad CC from the victory area, naturally I rolled 4 and that was it. There was also one other last turn CC which could have won the battle for me so it was extremely close.

I lost one PzVG early in to a HIP PIAT carrying crew when trying to make flanking maneuver, a bit more cautious use of the armor would have carried the day for me as the PzVG is a lot of CVP. The Sewer infiltrators is a great idea and those dudes tied up my best leader and a 658 for several turns, and also eliminated the other FT in CC. On the other hand he other FT and DCS sored well and I really feel these are must buys for the Germans. For the Parisan at least some PIATs and PSKs for HIP and infiltrator units are must as the destroying PzVGs can give a good edge on the VP.

The scenario has a really good replayability factor as the rubble/debris rolls will make a big difference, also the infiltrating units add a great variance into the mix. A good scenario for its size and I'd play this one anytime with either side.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Yeah, it's definitely trending pro-German, 79% in the limited amount of recorded plays on ROAR (14). I think the allies being so dispersed and the ability for the Germans to land so close to the bridge makes this scenario a real challenge for the allies.
I have to say I do not really mind. It is an ASL experience to play something like this one, it just is something different than a tightly balanced half board tournament thing.

TomAbromaitis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Tom
Country
llUnited States
Did you ever get any DBP played?
I did get to play "Down and Dirty" as my first go into the DBP stuff awhile back. Very different feel than most ASL scenarios, with the LV and open nature. Did really give the feel of a French counter-attack from the stuff I've read about DBP.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Last weekend was the "Tiger Meet" in Normandy, France - so I got time to play a 4 FtF games, which is likely to be at least half my games this year. Hatten in Flames saw a lot of play, and seemed to be very well appreciated.

HF2 Bertoldo the Brave: played this as the Americans. The Germans have to esentially capture three crossroads in the village. My setup was probably very far from optimal; the Germans managed to advance very quickly on my left (north) side. I didn't know what to do with my M18GMCs for fear of the Panthers and Panzerfausts, so the Panthers were a big threats. Fortunately for me, my opponent made a big mistake with one of them, offering me a side shot with a BAZ by starting and changing VCA without first entering a new hex (so, no Motion DRM). I still lost a lot of my troops for Failure to Rout in the northern crossroad, and barely managed to hang to the last one (we didn't finish this game 100%, but it was very likely a win for me).

HF6 Jackpot Jones: played this one as the Germans, on the attack. This game had a lot of unexpected events, some good, some bad (so, it kinda evened out overall). I lost my Panther early on to a lucky CH, then one of my PzIV, but managed to kill all 3 M18s. My opponent managed to keep a lot of his squads concealed very late into the game in the victory buildings, and in the end I failed to capture enough. Great scenario though.

BFP84 Kreida Station: played this as the attacking Germans. Right from the start the Russians were in a tough position - the Germans have a huge amount of fire power, and the scenario is long enough that they don't have to decide too early on how much force to send to each of the objectives. We ended up playing only 5 or 6 turns (out of 8), and by this time only one of the victory buildings was still in Russian hands, with very few losses on the German side and plenty on the Russians. We might have missed something; the ROAR results are pretty balanced, but I don't see how that is possible. The game was not bad, but a bit one-sided.

ASL14 Silence that Gun: an oooooold scenario, originally from Paratrooper, and probably one of the first I ever played - in this case, we were looking for something that could be played quickly. Again I was attacking with the Americans; the Germans put up a good defense, but they are very brittle (2nd line and Conscripts, with ELR 2 and no possible depth in their defense - not a comfortable position). It took some time and a few lucky rolls, but they ended up breaking and dying en masse, and I got to the victory conditions in a pretty good shape.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played HG-6 Damned at Demyansk. I think this scenario deserves a redo. I feel it it is pro Russian, but my friend rolled horribly playing as the Soviets. I counted six occasions where he rolled a 12 - and there weren't that many shots taken due to the very dense terrain. His other rolls weren't much better. He held on until he couldn't handle any more misery and called it. Even so, with so many squads, he still had a chance even with all the terrible rolls. I'll give him credit; he sucked it up longer than I would have. Not much satisfaction "winning" like that. The scenario presents an interesting situation, though, so I'd recommend it for either side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to say I do not really mind. It is an ASL experience to play something like this one, it just is something different than a tightly balanced half board tournament thing.
Totally agree. I just think for this particular scenario there are a lot of rules to digest for just one playing. Like I said in the original post, playing this scenario in conjunction with some Crete scenarios would at least make digesting all the air rules a bit more palatable.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did get to play "Down and Dirty" as my first go into the DBP stuff awhile back. Very different feel than most ASL scenarios, with the LV and open nature. Did really give the feel of a French counter-attack from the stuff I've read about DBP.
Tom, did you play it with the errata? The French need three more trench networks then they started with, not just three period as printed erroneously on the card.

TomAbromaitis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Tom
Country
llUnited States
Tom, did you play it with the errata? The French need three more trench networks then they started with, not just three period as printed erroneously on the card.
Indeed. I can't remember if the upgrade kit had the errata already or if I had a print out.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed. I can't remember if the upgrade kit had the errata already or if I had a print out.
I don't know if it ever made official errata but that was definitely how it was supposed to be laid out. Good.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I played a multi-VASL session match of J159 TROPIC LIGHTNING. Bruno had the defending Japanese, but unfortunately he is rusty with them and made a couple of tactical setup errors. Still, until the sixth turn of this seven turn scenario, I thought I was going to lose. Five of my tanks had spent a couple of turns successfully dissuading the Japanese AFV from entering. On the last American turn, I needed to boot 3.5 Japanese squads and two leaders out of the last two stone buildings. With WP protection and VBM, my infantry were able to accomplish the task with a DC, FT and small arms fire.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played RPT78 Bounty Hunters with Mark Harms at our Twin Cities game day. We really enjoyed this attacking Chinese versus Japanese scenario set on board 2a. The VC was for the Japanese to have GO MMC in >=3 non-hut buildings (of six available). Three were on the perimeter and achievable more easily than the ones in the village proper. We both liked that the Japanese could set up ANYWHERE on the board and the Chinese had choices of two board edges to enter.

It ebbed and flowed the entire game as the Japanese slowly withdrew to the village. The Chinese were fortunate the three perimeter buildings fell rather easily. We talked afterward and felt any additional time taken to clear then could easily have made the push to the village too little too late.

The Chinese had two tanks and lost one early, but had secured the three perimeter VC buildings by turn two with only a Chinese HS loss via CC with 1.5 Japanese squads rolling high on a couple occasions and eliminated in CC and 0.5 to crew small arms fire on CCRF. The Chinese pressed on to the village and we traded punches with a well-timed banzai by the Japanese reinforcements really causing issues for the Chinese right flank that had positioned itself nicely. In the end, the Chinese were able to wrestle away one additional building for the win.

This scenario was a blast and close the ENTIRE way. Currently sits at 5-4 on ROAR with the edge to the Japanese. Very recommended.

EDIT: I should add that Japanese HIP cannot set up in the VC buildings significantly reducing end-game shenanigans.

Last edited:

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, Craig, that was a great game, the kind of intense dogfight that makes ASL so fun. It's a tactically interesting scenario that deserves more play than it seems to have gotten.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My friend and I decided to go post WWII and started by played A84 Endless Struggle. Meh. I was the attacking partisans. My goal was to spread out across the edge of the board, engage in CC, and clear enough Russians to get 14 VPs off the other side of the board. When I saw the Russian set up, however, I was surprised to see just how many men they had. Since they set up strong near the stream, I decided to push clear on the other side of the board. By turn 4 I was one broken Russian conscript away from totally breaking through. However, those jerks blew off everything I threw at them. To add insult to injury, that squad not breaking caused several FTR kills when the Russian tanks crashed into the woods behind me (there was another conscript that was a bit out of position but in a good place to mess up my ability to rout). With the far side Russians one move away from totally interdicting my guys, I made a run for it and the 9-2 and two squads with him broke on a lousy NMC - to that same conscript! Sounds more exciting than it was. Really it was push forward, engage in CC (if possible), and rinse and repeat. One oddity is that all the forces were the same color. We ended up putting track counters on the units after they moved so we wouldn't get them mixed up. Super fast to play but not very exciting. I'd give it a halfhearted recommend if the main scenario for the day was finished quickly and there was some time to kill.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I played (and lost) Endless Struggle as partisan many years ago. Its current ROAR record speaks well for how it plays: Partisan 4, Russian 21. I did learn that if a moving unit is attacked and a residual is placed, if it gets bounced back by a bump-scout, it gets attacked by the residual even though it did not enter the hex with the newly-placed residual. That was somewhat useful.

JR

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played (and lost) Endless Struggle as partisan many years ago. Its current ROAR record speaks well for how it plays: Partisan 4, Russian 21. I did learn that if a moving unit is attacked and a residual is placed, if it gets bounced back by a bump-scout, it gets attacked by the residual even though it did not enter the hex with the newly-placed residual. That was somewhat useful.

JR
Interesting! I did do some bump scouting, but that situation never came up. If it did, I don't think we would have played it right. Now I know - and as GI Joe would say, "and knowing is half the battle!"

Edit: By the way, I forgot to mention that I was that 21st loss!

Last edited:

TomAbromaitis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Tom
Country
llUnited States
Played 201"Hunters From The Sky" and 188 "Zon With The Wind" over the weekend.

The latter was my 3rd play. Always fun. Americans missed the VPs by one. 9-2 couldn't pass a PTC...

The former... My first paradrop. Wasn't as bad as expected! I dug it quite a bit. An "old-school" scenario. 10 turns. Lots of time to move around. A really nice feel of paras organizing, taking an area, and then defending from a German counterattack. This one came down to the last CC roll....... Excellent!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got my toes wet in Korea by playing 208 The Grist Mill. I wouldn't say this is a good introductory scenario to Korea since it plays pretty much like an early WWII Americans vs early war Russians, but still, it is an easy first scenario to try this theater out. Other than a rice paddy near the set up area, though, I just didn't get a new theater vibe. That's not a criticism, it's just an observation. Having said that, I played as the Americans. I usually play as the Axis (no reason, that's just the way my friend and I do it) so post war we decided to switch sides. I have to say I am a bit rusty with the US. I forgot how brittle the 6 ML squads are. Sure, the Italians are as well, but usually I get a bunch of them in a scenario. Six US squads vs 14 North Koreans was tough. My set up forced my friend to send a group of his troops into the gully. I kind of hoped that would happen due to the movement cost. My MTR team broke the first time they were shot at early in the game and I promptly lost that asset the rest of the scenario. I had some decent shots throughout the game - never with rate sadly, but that damn North Korean commissar brought back every broken guy sent his way. With too many targets and not enough unbroken troops to hold them back, my last green squad died in the victory building during CC on the top of the last turn. All I had left was a half squad manning the ammunition shortage broken 50 cal. He broke in the ensuing DFPh and that was that. Not a bad scenario, but way too small for my tastes. I think the Americans need a lot to go right (rate, anyone? pass a NMC?) for them to make a game of it. I'd still recommend it for either side. It plays super fast and my friend and I both enjoyed it. Next, on to something more meaty.

Reactions: Roy