So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
A little while back, Sergio Puente and I played J166 Maximum Aggression. My Japanese managed a close victory.

AAR is located at my blog https://cardboardwarrior.blog/

Thanks for reading.
This is a nice AAR and a good, short scenario but it is mostly about CC which has got to be the most dangerous action in ASL other than pushing a gun in the open in front of a 10-3 leader directing a HMG.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
This is a nice AAR and a good, short scenario but it is mostly about CC which has got to be the
most dangerous action in ASL other than pushing a gun in the open in front of a 10-3 leader directing a HMG.
I agree. I did not like the scenario for that reason.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
AP126 MAYUMA'S STRONGHOLD (soloing)
Went down to the wire.
The last turn, in the last contested building, the GMD guys (three 537 and a 7-0 leader) entered CC vs a Berserk IJA 237.
No ambush occurred.
They needed an 11 to kill the Japanese HS... and rolled boxcars.
The HS couldn't Withdraw, and its 1-8 CC had no effect.
So the IJA retained control of the building.
A really nice scenario with good replayability.
Here are some pictures (turn 4 and 6 IJA RPh and end game).AP126 T4 IJA.jpgAP126 T6 IJA.jpgAP126 end game.jpg

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Matt Boehland and I finally got BFP-39 Langoan Airfield on the table yesterday.

It was a real wild ride, with Japanese paratroopers scattered to the four winds, desperately trying to organize and grab weapons before the clock ran out. The attack culminated in something like three consecutive turns of Banzais as the paratroopers rushed Dutch defenses in an effort to make up for lost time.

It's a fun and fast playing scenario, but one that is to my eye inherently dicey. My guess is that most playings are won or lost on the Drop Point and Drift DRs. If the Japanese come down in anything like a coherent fashion, the Dutch are in for a bad day. If, on the other hand, the Japanese have to spend a few turns organizing, the Dutch will probably be able to hold out.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP126 MAYUMA'S STRONGHOLD (soloing)
Went down to the wire.
The last turn, in the last contested building, the GMD guys (three 537 and a 7-0 leader) entered CC vs a Berserk IJA 237.
No ambush occurred.
They needed an 11 to kill the Japanese HS... and rolled boxcars.
The HS couldn't Withdraw, and its 1-8 CC had no effect.
So the IJA retained control of the building.
A really nice scenario with good replayability.
Here are some pictures (turn 4 and 6 IJA RPh and end game).View attachment 5537View attachment 5538View attachment 5539
Always like to see people that are not afraid to have at scenarios with multiple overlays. Many miss out on good times by simply counting the number of overlays in them and discount them as too involved.

Last edited:

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
@Matt Boehland and I finally got BFP-39 Langoan Airfield on the table yesterday.

It was a real wild ride, with Japanese paratroopers scattered to the four winds, desperately trying to organize and grab weapons before the clock ran out. The attack culminated in something like three consecutive turns of Banzais as the paratroopers rushed Dutch defenses in an effort to make up for lost time.

It's a fun and fast playing scenario, but one that is to my eye inherently dicey. My guess is that most playings are won or lost on the Drop Point and Drift DRs. If the Japanese come down in anything like a coherent fashion, the Dutch are in for a bad day. If, on the other hand, the Japanese have to spend a few turns organizing, the Dutch will probably be able to hold out.

I agree it is dicey on the drop. pretty much same thing happened to my IJA. my last desperate Banzais failed in the end: out of time. but, it is a fun scenario. I would play it again anytime. love the nifty BFP (I think) partial armed IJA para counters. keep your knees in the breeze

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Always like to see people that are not afraid to have at scenarios with multiple overlays. Many miss out on good times by simply counting the number of overlays in them and discount them as too involved.
I could not agree more. The overlays are there for a reason in sometimes I look at Google Maps of the battlefield and jI can see where the overlays actually made sense. I use rubber glue as I hate taping them down. I never had a problem getting the glue off but test your glue on some duplicate board. A lot of the poster tack people use leave oily stains, especially when the tack is old.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I had a shortage of Rubber cement (the old bottle had part of its content evaporated and what remained wasn't in good shape).
So I used repositionable tape, rather than wait for the occasion to go buy some.
That said, scenarios with Railroads are bound to have RR overlays.
In that scenario, there also is the "1" overlay which hides board 38 airstrip (I would have made the latter an overlay, as runways are extremely rare in scenarios) and two buildings next to the RR.
So I would say that overlays in that scenario are not in too important numbers.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
overlays are an amazing part of the system. another example of the versatility of the game. after all these years I'm surprised there are still those who refuse to use them

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
overlays are an amazing part of the system. another example of the versatility of the game. after all these years I'm surprised there are still those who refuse to use them
I remember that Glennbo was the most vocal against overlays, but he left the forum three years ago. I haven't seen many others shunning scenarios with overlays.
Many place a pane of acrylic glass on the map anyway, so that also reduces the inconvenience of overlays moving or generating an uneven playing surface.
I also think that people using VASL don't mind using overlays, as placing them is a breeze.

I would like to see the overlay bundle come out some day, btw.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could not agree more. The overlays are there for a reason in sometimes I look at Google Maps of the battlefield and jI can see where the overlays actually made sense. I use rubber glue as I hate taping them down. I never had a problem getting the glue off but test your glue on some duplicate board. A lot of the poster tack people use leave oily stains, especially when the tack is old.
Been doing the same for years and to the best of my recollection I've never had a problem. Some of my friends won't try it, but I play FtF almost weekly (sometimes twice a week) for about the last 14 years and have never had a problem. A little dab 'ill do ya!:D

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember that Glennbo was the most vocal against overlays, but he left the forum three years ago. I haven't seen many others shunning scenarios with overlays.
Many place a pane of acrylic glass on the map anyway, so that also reduces the inconvenience of overlays moving or generating an uneven playing surface.
I also think that people using VASL don't mind using overlays, as placing them is a breeze.

I would like to see the overlay bundle come out some day, btw.
Yup, guess I really don't even consider vasl overlay use to be using overlays actually as it's so easy to manage and you really don't notice it most times unless you string a LOS.

Like yourself I really look forward to an overlay pack as I missed out on a few, AP2 Hills & a Journal Hedges bunch to note a few. It would also be nice if some could be printed with both desert & ETO colors (Wadis for example) that would expand the use of them in more scenarios with more of an aesthetic appeal to it.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Black Day in Hatten ASL HF 1 Surprising that the first scenario in a HASL about a German offensive is a hasty American counterattack... The US pressed hard with the LV hindrance, mostly in the K9 block. The Panzergerenadiers did well against the 42nd Division guys, but the Hellcat support was the difference. Showers of Panzerfausts, but I don't recall a single hit. The 60mm WP was quite effective while it lasted. US win.

Nice village fight.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Black Day in Hatten ASL HF 1 Surprising that the first scenario in a HASL about a German offensive is a hasty American counterattack... The US pressed hard with the LV hindrance, mostly in the K9 block. The Panzergerenadiers did well against the 42nd Division guys, but the Hellcat support was the difference. Showers of Panzerfausts, but I don't recall a single hit. The 60mm WP was quite effective while it lasted. US win.

Nice village fight.
"Hatten" is on the agenda this week. How long did it take to play HF1?

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played 'ASL 214 Seoul Saving' vs. Ken D. this past Saturday. Very hard on the Chinese IMHO, but I was diced badly too. It has a strangly worded VC. It did not matter because I had less than =< 55 EVP of units left when I called it on Turn 4.

If my understanding is correct, if the British exit a full squad, the Chinese only have to exit 53 EVP, correct? If so, what possible incentive does the British have to exit? If my interpretation is wrong, and if the Brits exit a full squad which increase EVP for Chinese to 57, then I think this scenario is even harder for the Chinese.

1535980999952.png