So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I would say featuring a HW is possible, but it requires super-tight calibration of its integration into the gameflow. Not many could achieve that.

Jacometti has succeeded in inserting a Rocket OBA module in a tournament-size scenario, by the same token it should be possible with a HW provided the right ingredients are there.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I would say featuring a HW is possible, but it requires super-tight calibration of its integration into the gameflow. Not many could achieve that.

Jacometti has succeeded in inserting a Rocket OBA module in a tournament-size scenario, by the same token it should be possible with a HW provided the right ingredients are there.
I think it is MUCH better and wiser to create a scenario where a Human Wave is a distinct option for the attacker, with clear benefits. Such scenarios exist....and we have also designed some ourselves.

The first that comes to mind is FrF 55 Forsthaus Clash - which I still think is very balanced despite the awful ROAR rating it has received. You do not HAVE to HW on the first two turns as the attacker, but it certainly gives you a big positional edge....and the quality/quantity of shots against you should be limited to "painful at most".

The second one is J187 In Deadly Combat.....but here it is more risky since there is a lot of German firepower. To be used wisely to gain ground, but preferably through some reasonable cover.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Statue of Liberty Attacks SP 273 Guam '44. Green US troops, but with plenty of tanks must get past a jungle village, over a hill and exit. The IJA have 2 tanks of their own, and a hidden force on the hill, with an ATG. I went around the village, and made good time to the inner board seam. There, a series of HIP surprises and trickery slowed the Americans. The 47mm ATG waited until a M5A1 was a hex away to fire, somehow missed, so I went for the overrun. 1-1 and the M5A1 burned, but the crew went down in melee in the same phase! In spite of heavy infantry losses, US win. fun.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I think it is MUCH better and wiser to create a scenario where a Human Wave is a distinct option for the attacker, with clear benefits.
I do not disagree. However a scenario with a mandatory HW would not necessarily be a bad one. It all depends on its design.[/QUOTE]

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Statue of Liberty Attacks SP 273 Guam '44. Green US troops, but with plenty of tanks must get past a jungle village, over a hill and exit. The IJA have 2 tanks of their own, and a hidden force on the hill, with an ATG. I went around the village, and made good time to the inner board seam. There, a series of HIP surprises and trickery slowed the Americans. The 47mm ATG waited until a M5A1 was a hex away to fire, somehow missed, so I went for the overrun. 1-1 and the M5A1 burned, but the crew went down in melee in the same phase! In spite of heavy infantry losses, US win. fun.
How did a crew get out of a burning wreck? (D5.6 see exception).

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Lambs to the Slaughter [HS25] ROAR has it pro-German and indeed they won but I made it close. I lost as expected two tanks to the 88LL which also hit my FT Wasp with eyes but with defective ammunition. I was at the end game in good position to take out the spotter and a 548/LMG combo in advancing fire with a Wasp but the crew got stunned on a normal MC. Then in the German prep fire a fortuitous drift of the FFE then shocked the carrier as well as broke most to my infantry that had advanced to the jump off positions for the final assault. We had lots of fun playing this but die rolls for bogs, rain, radio contact, drift etc. make it difficult to count on anything (as in all ASL games generally).

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
O12 Loss of Hope was fun scenario v Sven

we diced for sides & I got the IJA trying to exit through a heap of quite stout Philippine Scouts who have some nice AFV's too. I think the Scouts got the upper hand. too bad ROAR only shows two playings: all scout wins

interesting "scrub jungle" terrain and other SSR's, setup restrictions, a IJA FB ( my FB got jack)

the scout setup restrictions and IJA entry restrictions w/interesting shellhole bog SSR and scrub jungle AFV movement made for some tough decisions for both players given the exit VC. I liked the scrub jungle, cool idea. gives a different feel given new LOS/hindrance effect

I think the scouts got to cover the flanks using scrub brush SSR to keep IJA from scooting along the edges. I think Sven thought he could just stuff the middle and move back to cover the exit area but the IJA was able to use their sizable OB to put a strong force up the middle to fix a good bunch of his guys while good sized IJA groups speedily pushed up each flank. one group even effectively interdicted Philippine reinforcements. he had bad luck w/shellhole bog SSR and woods bog SSR making the withdrawal slower. IJA ATR was lucky

both sides have SAN 4. Yoshi was HOT, Joe was cool. made for an exciting game but I was starting to feel bad, well sort of

the issue was in doubt to the end but in the end the IJA get enough striped squads, crews, 1/2 squads, & leaders exited off for a close IJA win

I still like the scouts in this one, but I would play it again as either side

fun scenario worth checking out

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps he is referring to the crew of the 47mm ATG.

JR
The crew is indeed the IJA one manning the 47mm. The M5A1 guys were very dead from the ATGs overrun prevention shot.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Who's played in recent memory Castello Fatato [G38]? Lots of overlays on desert boards with night and deep snow rules did not dissuade me from trying this the other day. Every year or so Dave Stephens and I will play these night scenarios to relearn the Chapter E rules. The game revolved soley around only the victory building which starts partially on fire thus allowing the Italian 47mm ATG's to blast at the Russian units therein maintaining acquisition. The building was hotly contested with CC's galore which should have meant death for the Italian lax squads but with only a +2 difference for ambush at night, I found my Russians on the losing end of most of the ambush roles. The game was originally in Back Blast but unbalanced so AH pumped up four of the Italian 347's with "Hans and Franz" 447's. As the Russians I would in the future position my mortar to bombard the ATG's as well as send a half squad after them also since both could be hidden at start and end up away in most cases of the first turn Italian Human Wave. We had fun but replay value is minimal.

I did

https://hongkongwargamer.com/2014/09/09/g38-castello-fatato-extreme-winter-at-night/

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I had to read it a few times to figure out what was meant. I didn't think most players would play that wrong so I did try to figure it out.

JR

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What's the general opinion on the mandatory Banzai in the Bushmasters?[/QUOTE]

I thought Bushmasters was a known Dog. Woof in the Jungle.

Is this not one where the Japanese enter from offboard in a Banzai charge, breaking all the rules ?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Is this not one where the Japanese enter from offboard in a Banzai charge, breaking all the rules ?
No, they appear out of hexes the Americans have not entered.

SSR 3:
"3. All Japanese reinforcements set up at the start of the MPh in jungle/bamboo hexes on/west-of hexrow E and east of the 34W1-35oV6-35W10 stream, with
two reinforcement squad-equivalents per hex and with each such stack adjacent to ≥ one other such stack. Each setup hex must be one that has not been entered
by an American unit and must be ≥ three hexes from all American units; ≥ one setup hex must be in the LOS of an American unit if possible...."

The VC were updated in Rising Sun:

From the ASL Journal 10 errata:
66 The Bushmasters: In the VC, change “40 points” to “35 points”. In the American Balance, change “40” to “35”, and change “35” to “30”.

Having not played either version I could not voice an opinion on balance.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played HG-1 Corniche Game. The scenario started fantastic for my Italians. Because of the difficulty of crossing the deep stream, I decided to press most of my guys forward and jumped in on turn 1. The squads the French did see blew off MCs like they were nothing. The bad part was this generated a lot of sniper rolls and he ended up taking out both of my 81mm MTRs for part of the game. Things got even better for me when my friend rolled a 12 on his swapped out field phone on his first attempt for radio contact. The game settled down from there and I slowly whittled away at his forward French units. The problem was he slowly whittled away my guys as well - and turned a lot into conscripts along the way. I took one bunker, but damned if I could get the other one (the one on the hill I just ignored). By turn 6 (of 7) I needed two of the three buildings he still held. I for sure could have taken one as I had several squads adjacent to it with no one in there, but on the other side was the bulk of the French reinforcements. Barring incredibly great rolls from me or horrible rolls from the him, my poor six morale squads would have taken a smackdown and I don't think I could have held it. Of the other two buildings, the French had two MMGs ready to fire lane any attempt by the Italians to get close plus some men in reserve. Seeing the writing on the wall, I conceded. Had the French not lost their OBA, I don't think I would have even gotten as close as I did. I was able to mass the bulk of my force in one area without fear of a 120mm pounding. Fun scenario. I'd recommend it for either side.

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is possible that everyone is dead at the end of the human wave, but that's the risk you take.

JR
I might even consider using victory conditions that allow the Human-Waver to achieve a win EVEN IF they have no more units alive at game end.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I might even consider using victory conditions that allow the Human-Waver to achieve a win EVEN IF they have no more units alive at game end.
Where the Human Wave itself is the Victory Condition !

You get 5 Russian squads with a leader on one part of the board, 5 Russian squads with a leader on the other side of the board, some Germans or Rumanians in the middle. VC: The Russians win if they conduct a Human Wave before game end! SSR: Deployment is NA.

Awesome idea!